AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-04-18, 01:19   Link #81
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymene View Post
What I like about Mago is that it has cool male characters other than the MC.

That element is a rarity among not only web novels, but also in past non-Narou LNs
, where MC is always surrounded by females with no Bro at his side playing an important role in the story with main cast screentime ( like Mago's August ). In fact, the only Battle School LN I can remember with a similar element is Rettousei, where non-MC male characters have their own spotlight moments too to shine.

By the way, Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha also has a cool male character other than the MC whose name is Ray, and he's the MC's close male friend and good at swordsmanship. He is also paired with a female character quite early in the story.
IIRC this is more for shounen webnovels/LNs.

If I'm correct, the cool male bro can appear in some otome/shoujo webnovels/LNs, as support for the female MC (and also for female readers to get interested in).
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 01:44   Link #82
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Crybaby main heroine
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 02:59   Link #83
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmos1 View Post
OK, having not the read the web novels yet, is Merlin considered a main character? I ask this because I am watching anime (Eng. dub only) and am wondering if we could expect to see Merlin as a main character.
I haven't read the WN properly, but i think Merlin would be considered a sort of Semi-Main character, but not a Major character though.

But that doesn't matter much, as there is a spin-off Manga series going on named "Kenja no Mago - EXTRA STORY", which is like a flashback series telling the story of young Merlin, Melinda and someone named Kyle McLean (カイル・マクリーン). Not sure if this series has a LN adaptation or not.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 03:46   Link #84
SilverGlavenus

The pace in this episode is pretty fast, at least compared to the manga.

Other than that, the art is a step up from the manga IMO, especially the main heroine. And I'm surprised the animations of the chanting students were that detailed.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 23:32   Link #85
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Crybaby main heroine
Blegh.

Show needs more Maria.
Old 2019-04-19, 00:31   Link #86
Greenish Growth

Did the novel or manga ever mention how Maria and Cicily performed on the entrance exam? I've forgotten.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 03:08   Link #87
SilverGlavenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Did the novel or manga ever mention how Maria and Cicily performed on the entrance exam? I've forgotten.
Maria is third rank and Sicily is fourth. Other than that, we don't know any other details.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 04:21   Link #88
monir
cho~ kakkoii

1 min 33 sec into episode 2 and I'm dreading Sizilen is a trap. Am I beyond help?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 04:49   Link #89
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
1 min 33 sec into episode 2 and I'm dreading Sizilen is a trap. Am I beyond help?
To be fair, it's a world where magic is real where they can (seemingly) do anything without any obvious signs of doing so (chant-less magic), within the realms of their imagination. Even if something doesn't exist, they could probably 'will' it into existence, should the circumstances/need arise.

Given certain psychological schools of thought in relation to 'envy', well, your fears probably aren't unfounded.
Old 2019-04-19, 04:58   Link #90
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keila View Post
To be fair, it's a world where magic is real where they can (seemingly) do anything without any obvious signs of doing so (chant-less magic), within the realms of their imagination. Even if something doesn't exist, they could probably 'will' it into existence, should the circumstances/need arise.

Given certain psychological schools of thought in relation to 'envy', well, your fears probably aren't unfounded.
I love you!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 14:09   Link #91
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I am not sure if the decigion to adapt charcter names this way was done by Kadokawa or Funimation but it is awful.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 18:44   Link #92
alex_drian

Quote:

That element is a rarity among not only web novels, but also in past non-Narou LNs, where MC is always surrounded by females with no Bro at his side playing an important role in the story with main cast screentime ( like Mago's August ). In fact, the only Battle School LN I can remember with a similar element is Rettousei, where non-MC male characters have their own spotlight moments too to shine.
I also liked that aspect in Rettousei, the only thing didn't liked is when the efforts of others wasn't recognized and all the glory was to MC. That was my only complain.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 21:15   Link #93
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
I am not sure if the decigion to adapt charcter names this way was done by Kadokawa or Funimation but it is awful.
Well, the good thing about names is that they're 'recurring' often enough that you can play it by ear. I mean it doesn't quite fix the eye-bleed/dissonance between what you're hearing and seeing, but you can mitigate it to a certain extent (if you're strong willed enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
I also liked that aspect in Rettousei, the only thing didn't liked is when the efforts of others wasn't recognized and all the glory was to MC. That was my only complain.
As a slight tangent, Maria reminds me too much of Erika (meddling personality)
Old 2019-04-20, 00:05   Link #94
Applehell

Quote:

That element is a rarity among not only web novels, but also in past non-Narou LNs, where MC is always surrounded by females with no Bro at his side playing an important role in the story with main cast screentime ( like Mago's August ). In fact, the only Battle School LN I can remember with a similar element is Rettousei, where non-MC male characters have their own spotlight moments too to shine.
Granted I don't read that many LNs, but I must have lucked becasue this pretty common among stuff I do read or watched like Rokka No Yuusha, Re:Zero, Chivalry of the Failed Knight, Danmachi, Monogatari series, who have males get their own spotlight. That aside, none of this really tells me it will be a good series, as much as it of sad indictment how degenerate a lot of medium has become. I'm not gonna praise something for doing he bare minimum personally. It's not like you need pairings to make a good story and issue isn't even harems themselves as much how they oversaturate WN and LNs. There is tons of series with more monogamous pairs or end up as one than full on harems.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 10:41   Link #95
Konja9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Granted I don't read that many LNs, but I must have lucked becasue this pretty common among stuff I do read or watched like Rokka No Yuusha, Re:Zero, Chivalry of the Failed Knight, Danmachi, Monogatari series, who have males get their own spotlight. That aside, none of this really tells me it will be a good series, as much as it of sad indictment how degenerate a lot of medium has become. I'm not gonna praise something for doing he bare minimum personally. It's not like you need pairings to make a good story and issue isn't even harems themselves as much how they oversaturate WN and LNs. There is tons of series with more monogamous pairs or end up as one than full on harems.
It's true than an story doesn't deserve praise for doing the bare minimun. However, it will still be enjoyable to see Kenja no Mago gives spotlight to other male characters too.

I've understood "harem" for anime isn't just the MC ending up with all the girls. Even if the MC only ends up with a girl, but he also attracts a lot of other (important) female characters in the story is still considered "harem". Kenja no Mago doesn't seem to be any of these.
Konja9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 11:25   Link #96
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:

By the way, Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha also has a cool male character other than the MC whose name is Ray, and he's the MC's close male friend and good at swordsmanship. He is also paired with a female character quite early in the story.
Yeah, Kenja no Mago has something of an "ensemble cast", which is quite rare in "trashy anime".
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 12:02   Link #97
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Blegh.

Show needs more Maria.
True.
The MH has put me off.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 18:16   Link #98
Frontier

So was the reason Shin was so embarrassed by the chant's because he has his memories of Japan and knows how embarrassing that would be to a normal person ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I honestly thought the white-haired boy in August's entourage might have been one .
Old 2019-04-20, 18:31   Link #99
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So was the reason Shin was so embarrassed by the chant's because he has his memories of Japan and knows how embarrassing that would be to a normal person ?

I honestly thought the white-haired boy in August's entourage might have been one .
Funny thing that only very novice mages used chants in this setting. But Merlin liked to do it during the training just for fun, so now mages think that with a chant the spell will be stronger or something like that.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 22:11   Link #100
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konja9 View Post
It's true than an story doesn't deserve praise for doing the bare minimun. However, it will still be enjoyable to see Kenja no Mago gives spotlight to other male characters too.

I've understood "harem" for anime isn't just the MC ending up with all the girls. Even if the MC only ends up with a girl, but he also attracts a lot of other (important) female characters in the story is still considered "harem". Kenja no Mago doesn't seem to be any of these.
I don't really make much of distinction between the two to be honest. Anyway, I can see why people praise that kinda of thing in this sort of common setting (which combines fantasy and high school) from that POV. My issue so far there is no story to speak of yet, beyond "look how powerful our protagonist is!". Shin (or other for that matter) isn't particular interesting himself either. Harem or not this all very well trodden ground regardless and is do nothing substantial to set itself apart.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-04-20 at 22:40.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not-harem, op protagonist