AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 307 57.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 139 25.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 1.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-23, 16:24   Link #81
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Wow, I didn't expect so much response for me coming so late into the game. Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
As skilled with words as you are with magic, I see. Quite an interesting read there, Jon.
I cannot be stopped.

and you are quite the first person on the whole Internets to acknowledge the reference, by the way. I'm surprised Baldur's Gate II is such an ignored phenomenon! Kids these days and their kiddie dating games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Just one sentence actually: I guess you couldn't ignore the impossible and kick reason to the curb.

Though I'm glad, someone that's not a mecha fan like you enjoyed the show, its still a shame that you couldn't enjoy the final arc.
I suppose you're right. Don't get me wrong though! I had fun. I had lots of fun. I just didn't have as much fun with that final arc as with the others, because my wtf meter exceeded my capacity for verisimilitude.

That or I just hated Simon's new starry sunglasses and 80's hairdo, but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Even if I'm rather able to understand the complain for the badly executed "kill 'em all" on the initial episodes of the fourth arc, I still fail to see how the final battle is even close to being drawn-out, sense-less or just a little "Dragon Ball"-ish. Probably the closer adjectives you could find for your feelings, whenever they fit or not.
We're talking about Gurren-Lagann here. It's the feelings that counts!
Old 2007-12-24, 22:30   Link #82
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Well I finally finished this anime. I can say this is one of the best animes I ever watched. Its on my top 5 . Truely a great experience. And about the ending, I thought it was a happy ending and not too bittersweet.
Old 2007-12-24, 22:41   Link #83
Kittie Rose

What would you like to see from a sequel?

I'd love to see the sci-fi element played up, and have it investigate over the top Sci-Fi stuff like Stellar Engines, Dyson Spheres, Niven Rings, stuff like that. Still the same screaming out the name of your attack will ensure victory kind of nonsense, but with more of the Sci-Fi-ish edge that bled through in parts of the final arc.
Old 2007-12-26, 10:19   Link #84
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

To anyone like me, who was first put off by the childish looking boy in the screenshots -

Give this anime a shot. It exceeded my expectations and knocked it right out of the park; absolutely fantastic

9/10. (Nothing is perfect - it's certainly amazing, however. I'm going to say, -1 for some of the goofy face designs, though I guess that's part of its charm)

Hay. Love you Gainax. <3
Old 2007-12-26, 22:47   Link #85
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
*cue Libera Me From Hell*

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

It has been really a long time since I last watched super robot shows (in fact, I never had the chance to watch any super robot shows. Well, except for Evangelion, but that's another story). When I was introduced to this series by a friend, I was overwhelmed by the superior storyline and the unique concept (seriously, drill? Wow, I never thought of that before).

I'll just talk about the characters, who had caught my attention from the moment episode 1 rolled in.

Kamina. He, especially, had caught my heart as the first male character ever to have my salute for being the most awesome -- or as people here always say, most GAR. He was the reason I followed this series, and his death also was the reason I almost gave up watching it. Yet it was also the reason he's always be inside my heart, kicking reasons to curbs and telling me to believe in him who believe in me.

Character rating: five out of five

Then enter Simon. From my POV, he should be given the credit for being the most dynamic character, from his first entry as a timid driller boy to a hotblooded pilot of the Lagann. His evolution goes even further during the time-skip when he finally surpasses his Aniki and becomes who he really is. The drill that pierces through the heavens.

After that, we have Kittan. His role was quite small when Kamina still led the DaiGurren-dan, but he really shone after time-skip when he finally got the screening he deserved. And Gainax hit me on the deck when he was sent off in the most dramatic death scene I have ever watched in my whole life. I mean, he invoked his Spiral power RIGHT in front of Simon and literally sent the Spiral Death Machine with his very own Giga Drill Breaker. I shall forever miss you, Sweet Prince.

I would like to talk more, but this trio has dragged my attention away from the rest of the casts. And indeed. Who did I think I am to type down this inner thought?
Old 2007-12-27, 04:00   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I rated it an 8 out of 10. Understand that I'm not much of a mecha fan so I was approaching this show from a "sci fi", "romance", and "team of people against horrific odds" kind of perspective.

I really liked the character design and relationship matrix -- and the time jump intermission was almost like getting a sequel with a more complex feel to the storyline and motivations of the characters. I was ultimately a bit disappointed in Yoko's personal journey (gad, does it always have to be a downer?) and Simon's method of fading away didn't seem to have a "realistic" feel within the fictional world they were in.

But it was a very enjoyable ride for the most part and the first half of the series were 10/10 in fresh boldness while the second half painted some interesting sci-fi concepts across a large canvas.
Old 2007-12-29, 15:51   Link #87
bloodyfart

lol its like dragon ball z, mecha style :P
Old 2007-12-30, 12:42   Link #88
whitewater_81
...sigh...

Send a message via MSN to whitewater_81 Send a message via Yahoo to whitewater_81
Well it was really a blast to watch.Everything was awesome!Definitely one of the best anime since Haruhi.Kinda sad that the ending didn't left a wide open space for a second season but what the heck,i was fairly satisfied with this anyway,though i really want more... Gave it a 10 BTW

STILL DISSPOINTED THAT YOKO REMAINED A VIRGIN UNTIL SHE WAS OLD!!!DAMN,WHAT A WASTE!!!THAT DELICIOUS BODY OF HERS,OH MAN!!!
Old 2007-12-30, 21:24   Link #89
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

^^Is that really a topic to shout out to the heavens?

ps, how do we know?

pps, The January issue of Newtype USA has Yoko as the centerfold (from the open of course!)
Old 2007-12-31, 19:59   Link #90
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

This show is the best giant robot series I've seen since the original Macross in the 80s. It's the most unique I've seen, with twists and turns that spiral just as the series' main theme does. All the major characters are awesome. Simon, Nia, Kamina, Yoko, Leeron, Rossiu, the Black Kinsmen, Gimi and Darry, Viral, and the Helix King, they make a fine assembly of characters who are likable and sympathetic. Then the mechs are bizarre looking but they make a striking impression. Gurren-Lagann just keeps getting bigger and Bigger and BIGGER! Then the 3-part plotting is amazing in the way it was executed, and not a single episode is wasted on a filler except for one recap episode. Shouko Nakagawa's OP theme performance is fun, Taku Iwasaki's musical themes are strong as always, character designs highly attractive (or effectively creepy in Leeron's case). The cast is perfect. Minami-ke faves Marina Inoue and Tetsuya Kakihara are here, Yukari Fukui is as cute as ever, and Masaya Onosaka as always steals the show. I can add Leeron as among his finest performances which include Vash the Stampede, Takeo Takakura, Keroberos, Ichiro Mihara, and Ah-kun. Looking forward to ADV's packaging of this series.
Old 2008-01-01, 04:52   Link #91
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater_81 View Post
STILL DISSPOINTED THAT YOKO REMAINED A VIRGIN UNTIL SHE WAS OLD!!!DAMN,WHAT A WASTE!!!THAT DELICIOUS BODY OF HERS,OH MAN!!!
She is a Goddess like Belldandy no one is worthy of touching them well expect for Kamina but sadly he didn't get that far before he died.

Anyways as for the show liked the first half alot the 2nd half dropped a bit still very good though. Wonder what Gainax gonna do next probably milk this series since it's popular and Gainax is known for milking things as long as possible.
Old 2008-01-06, 10:45   Link #92
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Hah, with a gem like TTGL, it'd be a waste not to milk it
Old 2008-01-09, 20:15   Link #93
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Characters: Great. I'm now a huge fan of Kamina (for saying stupidly audacious things and having pure luck) and Yoko (for being who she is... also she's hot). I found almost all the characters likeable in some way, and even the enemies have their own unique flair (and goofiness). The fansubs I watched had really great subs, and Kamina's speech cracks me up everytime I hear him. I think he needs a volume control switch---he's always shouting.

Plot: To me, this came secondary. I was just wating it for entertainment, and boy did I get a treat.

Animation: Style was definitely reminiscent of FLCL, and I liked the dynamic action with more-or-less every episode.

Overall: While I've never been a Mecha fan, I could give this series no less than a perfect 10/10. It was so darn entertaining, I think I'm gonna watch it again... and again....
Old 2008-01-10, 06:23   Link #94
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
^^Is that really a topic to shout out to the heavens?

ps, how do we know?

pps, The January issue of Newtype USA has Yoko as the centerfold (from the open of course!)
Has the picture been posted?

(runs off to check the Yoko thread)
Old 2008-01-12, 15:30   Link #95
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
Just watched through the last 10 eps last night. I was not prepared for the epicness that I witnessed!
Old 2008-01-18, 06:00   Link #96
zero7090

Impressive
in the first half of the show i feel it just like some type of "power ranger" where two grant mecha just keep shouting to each other and busting energy beam . But when they meet anti spiral the show turn out attractive. Character, plot, animation all become excellent. Especially Nia's death is quite sad

Total score: 9/10
Old 2008-01-20, 07:08   Link #97
mazinken

Smile

Hi every one! just want to say that this is my favorite show of 2007 it had it all the action, comedy and drama but to bad I can't just give it a full 10 cause it would be unfair as there is no such thing that is completely perfect I only wish that they put scores like 9.5 or 9.7 on the voting section so we could be more accurate.
Old 2008-01-20, 09:36   Link #98
cnnydz
Feed me

5/10, just average, too narutoish(5/10) and eureka7ish(6/10) to my taste.
Old 2008-01-22, 17:14   Link #99
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
Whoa, I didnt expect that after first 16episodes.
Right now, I finished my marathon through last 11eps.
Quite epic.
I even considered a 9.
But Nia gone? No Simon x Yoko?
8!
Old 2008-01-23, 21:08   Link #100
AuditionEX
Protect the Loli

Simon is just a lazy old geezer xD

Oh geez I miss this show.... miss butta the digimon
Closed Thread