AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 59 55.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 29.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 9.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-23, 04:49   Link #81
roan

http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/gurren-lagann/chara.html

official page update.
Old 2007-07-23, 04:53   Link #82
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by roan View Post
Yeah, they have surnames now... well, Simon, Yoko and Viral don't.
Old 2007-07-23, 10:34   Link #83
7Th
Mixtape

But there's also the fact that the Helix King himself killed the Princesses the moment they asked him: "Why was I born for?"... that's pretty foreshadowing of this situation if we go backwards.
Old 2007-07-23, 12:23   Link #84
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Sorry for being a female but I thought the scene with Nia explaining why she rejected Simon was extremely cute.

I know I should care more for the other scene but somehow this scene stuck with me the most. XD
Old 2007-07-23, 16:04   Link #85
neoeagle

I DON"T WANT GL TO END.
PLEASE GIANAX.PLEASE.MAN WE HAVE ONLY 8 episode left.
lets make a petition guys for second series.
This is the best anime I have ever watched and I am watching anime for 15 years.
Old 2007-07-23, 16:19   Link #86
7Th
Mixtape

Huh... if they have enough popularity, it's doing quite well in DVD sales at this point, Gainax said they're considering creating a sequel to Gurren-Lagann.
Old 2007-07-23, 18:42   Link #87
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoeagle View Post
I DON"T WANT GL TO END.
PLEASE GIANAX.PLEASE.MAN WE HAVE ONLY 8 episode left.
lets make a petition guys for second series.
This is the best anime I have ever watched and I am watching anime for 15 years.
There should be 10 more eps left, not 8.

I think having a sequel is a little lame. That means they'll have to leave GL open-ended and that might suck a little.

Anyway, for some reason the moon anti-spiral machine reminded me a little of Rahxephon's Mu alien mechas. Especially the way it shoots the laser beams at the buildings.
Old 2007-07-23, 18:50   Link #88
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Fox View Post
Yeah, they have surnames now... well, Simon, Yoko and Viral don't.
Care to elaborate?

So, the "surnames" of people in the government are actually their village names? Why isn't Simon "Simon Jeeha" then?
Old 2007-07-23, 19:19   Link #89
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Care to elaborate?

So, the "surnames" of people in the government are actually their village names? Why isn't Simon "Simon Jeeha" then?
Because Simon, Viral and Yoko are above that.
Old 2007-07-23, 19:35   Link #90
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Huh... if they have enough popularity, it's doing quite well in DVD sales at this point, Gainax said they're considering creating a sequel to Gurren-Lagann.
Link? I didn't even think it was out yet. Though I suppose Japan time now it's on sale IIRC. Still seems a bit quick to be getting figures in.
Old 2007-07-23, 19:44   Link #91
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster View Post
Link? I didn't even think it was out yet. Though I suppose Japan time now it's on sale IIRC. Still seems a bit quick to be getting figures in.
Pre-orders, sorry about that. Just saying the first 4 DVDs are in Amazon's top 20 and the first was number one for the whole past week but was overtook today by 24's Season Set and now is second.
Old 2007-07-23, 20:35   Link #92
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Gurren Lagann DVD 1 is the TOP ANIME DVD SELLER just from preorders on amazon.co.jp, followed by Code Geass DVD 7.
And second place in DVD sales overall. (The top place is 24 Season 6 box)

So yeah, I think it's safe to say it'll do well.

EDIT: Looking at 2ch forums, it seems Amazon's orders are arriving at doors just now as we speak. So yeah, it's officially out.
Old 2007-07-23, 20:48   Link #93
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Gurren Lagann DVD 1 is the TOP ANIME DVD SELLER just from preorders on amazon.co.jp, followed by Code Geass DVD 7.
FUDGE YEAH!
Old 2007-07-23, 21:35   Link #94
neoeagle

might want to take a look at this ,btw not real .
Old 2007-07-23, 21:39   Link #95
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Dang... now I kinda regretted not placing my preorder. Sigh... it was either GL dvds or Japanese pc games...

Man, Japanese dvds are not cheap. Think I'll save up for Kara no Kyoukai dvds instead when they come out... hopefully. Or I pray really hard that I can still find some first-press GL dvds next time.
Old 2007-07-23, 22:53   Link #96
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I'm really not sure how to take this episode.

I was very welcoming of a different setting and slightly different direction for the series. It all feels so rushed, though--not in that we've cut to this different scenery, but that from where we jump to everything is mashed together, with no time to really appreciate what's happening. It wouldn't be the first time the series has been this way, but it really hurts this time around.

"Evil Nia", "Nearly Evil Rossiu"... Potentially interesting, but I don't like them. At all. I want all that resolved ASAP. It's entirely appropriate that these issues would arise, but I will be mightily ticked if these folks that conquered all odds to come this far would be undone by all of this.
Old 2007-07-24, 00:23   Link #97
deviousj
Joker and Aoko fan

Send a message via AIM to deviousj
Thoughts on Gurren-Lagann 17

I gave the episode a nine. It was great, but nothing blew me away enough for me to give it a ten.

The new OP sequence is good. The spoiler scenes almost force the viewer to keep watching the show and breeds an almost imbearable impatience to see the story develop. I love the scene when Simon walks the path of light at the end while wearing his super awesome manly cape! The only possible problem with the OP is that it's the second verse of the same song, but the OP fits the show so I have no complaints.

It's surprising how much the world developed in seven years. There's hover-vehicles everywhere. They even created a space program and sent a probe to the moon.

The show's tone has become undoubtedly more serious. The conflict of ideals between Rossiu and Simon takes a huge role. They both want the same end, peace and protection of the people, but the means their attitudes are completely different. Rossiu wants to run the government efficiently as possible and is willing to use means such denying rights and withholding information from Simon. Simon is more tolerant and honest and is not willing to take such measures.

Adding to the seriousness is Simon's realization that rushing into battle won't solve everything. He did it against the new enemy and much destruction ensued from the aftermath. It was probably the best course of actions given the situation, but the fact that there can be severe consequences still stands.

The characters for the most part remain where we left them in terms of development - the exceptions being Rossiu, Darry, Gimi, Kinnon, and Viral. Darry is more outgoing now and Gimi is more mature now. Kinnon is much colder than she was before. Rossiu actually reverted back to his personality from when he was in the village. He's self-rightous, emotionallessly by the book, and inconsiderate of rights when they conflict with his goals. Viral acts similar to how he did before, but he's now a freedom fighter protecting the rights of humans - a far cry from the arrogant, beastman who disregarded humans excluding Simon and Kamina.

It seems that there are going to be three factions: Simon's faction, Rossiu's faction, and the Anti-Spiral faction. Simon apparently joins forces with Viral and the Spiral King. I don't know how that's going to play out, but it's probably going to be interesting. Rossiu's faction is a bunch of self-righteous punks who seem to believe that they're the only ones who know what's right for the world; they really piss me off, especially Rossiu because I expected more from him after his adventures with Simon.

Well, it's official. Nia has an evil side. I'm undecided as to whether this is good or bad. It has the potential to be very good, but it can turn out very poorly as well. Here's hoping for the best, and a happy end for Simon and Nia.

The new ED is pretty good. I like the sequence. The best part is Simon's cape! That thing is amazingly awesome!

Random Incoherent Thoughts
Darry is cute now.

The old guy turns out to be a beastman created to be Nia's butler. That explains why he saved her so many times.

Rossiu's reaction to Nia's lunchbox was funny.

Nia turning down Simon's proposal because she misunderstood the phrasing was hilarious.

Boota is still awesome.

Well, we have finally reached the CG enemy stage. Don't know if I should celebrate or not.

Kiyoh married Dayakka?! That's unexpected.

Kiyal (the one with the fang) is still very amusing.

Viral's new look kicks ass; too bad he still can't win a fight.

Rossiu's a jackass now.

Mass-produced Gurren-Lagann types make me sad; the Ganmen were so much more fun and expressive.
Old 2007-07-24, 03:20   Link #98
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousj View Post
Well, we have finally reached the CG enemy stage. Don't know if I should celebrate or not.
<-doesn't understand why anime fans seem to have beefs with Japanese CG.

Well, maybe I do. There are times when disgusting monsters like the 'mana transfer' badly rendered CGI dragon from FSN come into play, but that's a smooth beastie and Japan's skill with smooth stuff isn't all that great. Ryuk is probably the best looking CGI monster ever, and he's in a live action movie.

But even people bad at CGI can make in-animate objects or simple shapes look nice - I cannot imagine for the life of me why people were hesitant to watch Akagi simply because the mahjong tiles were in CGI. They're blocks! How hard could it be to make them look real?

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2007-07-24 at 05:32.
Old 2007-07-24, 04:12   Link #99
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

I have no problems with CGs in anime, however bad they are. In fact I think the anti-spiral machines are pretty nicely done, the little triangles, cubes, globes make them seem very alien in GL and fit well as moon machines.

Hell, I thought Vandread was pretty cool when I first saw it.

I think most anime viewers now are spoilt by realistic 3d such as those from Dreamworks or FF7AC. They seem to forget it's just ANIME. Anime doesn't really need realistic 3d when much of it is 2d.

"So what if there's some not-so-nicely done 3d in anime, what's your freaking problem? Go watch Transformers Movie again if you want good 3d" Is my response to such people.

And I enjoyed watching Akagi. Since I'm more interesting in how the mahjong games were being played than f*cking scrutinize the damn tiles CG.
Old 2007-07-24, 04:52   Link #100
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Pre-orders, sorry about that. Just saying the first 4 DVDs are in Amazon's top 20 and the first was number one for the whole past week but was overtook today by 24's Season Set and now is second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
And second place in DVD sales overall. (The top place is 24 Season 6 box)

So yeah, I think it's safe to say it'll do well.

EDIT: Looking at 2ch forums, it seems Amazon's orders are arriving at doors just now as we speak. So yeah, it's officially out.
Ah right. Didn't think of that. Nice to hear that the show is doing well.
Closed Thread