3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-17, 17:55   Link #81
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Oh yay, a popularity contest....

Boy, the three princess sure are some tough and merciless or you could say that's how any normal person behave when talking to Subaru in his rage state. I don't know about you guys but this is getting hard to watch and making me cringe a little as poor Subaru is slowly turning into that crazed cult leader.

Hmm, so this is why you don't travel at night or try to pass through that mist. I was curious as to why in the earlier episodes merchants and Rem were warning Subaru not to travel when the mist was out.
Old 2016-07-17, 18:04   Link #82
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Subaru hasn't realized that Puck was the one who killed him (and presumably everyone else in the entire continent as well from what I read in the previous ep thread). This is such a joker card it could help Subaru in convincing anyone he needed to help Emilia, but obviously that would be boring and not enough suffering for him.

"please help me help emilia"
"fuck you"
"but, if she dies, the whole continent dies too!"

It seems some people know that Puck is in a contract with her but nobody knows what happens when she dies. And of course, it's the ultimate trump card, why would she tell this to anyone. (which reminds me, the capital was probably fucked up real bad at the end of the very first loop when Subaru got here)
Old 2016-07-17, 18:07   Link #83
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I'm surprised he's tacking this long to figure out human rights don't really apply to this world. Especially after in the second arc he got brutally murdered and hunted down not once but twice. Not to mention how in the first arc he got murdered how many times?
To be fair all of those kills were done in secret and weren't really in the public eye. He was pretty much killed in a isolated area and then disposed of.
Old 2016-07-17, 18:34   Link #84
Jerseykid

If it wasn't for the little tips about how he should be dealing with people even though it's not like he is actually paying attention to them, i would feel like his wheels are just spinning and accomplishing anything
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 18:36   Link #85
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I'm surprised he's tacking this long to figure out human rights don't really apply to this world. Especially after in the second arc he got brutally murdered and hunted down not once but twice. Not to mention how in the first arc he got murdered how many times?

Because

1) He was killed for very specific reasons that have nothing to do with that? Elsa is a hired assassin who would've murdered him regardless and he was killed by Rem at one point because he had very special trait that is normally only assoicated with fanatics and madmen?

2) Several people have helped him out of good will so like in IRL not everybody holds the same values or just only acts out of self-interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
If it wasn't for the little tips about how he should be dealing with people even though it's not like he is actually paying attention to them, i would feel like his wheels are just spinning and accomplishing anything
He just put some of Anastasia's advice into action just now brought an entire merchant cavaran to rescue the villagers. How is he spinning his wheels here?

The only reason might failed is unexpected apperance of the White Whale since he didn't know what time it would have appeared.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 19:02   Link #86
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
This episode finally made me figure out why this arc is not working for me.

The show started with an interesting premise - a smart and cunning protagonist who thinks like a real person being transported into a fantasy world that ends up having lots of mysteries and politics in it.
You considered Subaru smart and cunning? lmao!

Even in the very first arc, Subaru was consistently slow on the uptake and he demonstrated very questionable decision-making. Subaru isn't completely stupid, as he does have the occasional moment of inspired cleverness, but he's far from a genius anime character. He wouldn't even belong in the same conversation as a Raito Yagami or a Tatsuya Chiba or an Inaho Kaizuka.

In the first two arcs, Subaru eventually succeeded mainly due to these factors:

1. Get completely rekt, multiple times, sometimes pointlessly. Eventually learn something of use from all of this, and then put that knowledge to good use. This is hardly a sign of brilliance. Anybody of average intelligence and even a lick of common sense is capable of this.

2. Use charisma and sheer force of will to win people over. Now there is some degree of talent here, I'll certainly give Subaru that. But it's not exactly the same as being a great planner, and then executing your plans well.

3. Dogged determination. This is another area where Subaru deserves credit. But courage/conviction is not the same as cunning/smart.

4. Get rescued by powerful people (Reinhard, Roswaal, Rem, etc...)

Subaru isn't powering his way through things in the sense of just having great combat/magical abilities that are too much for most/all opponents. However, he's also not really a case of brains over brawn. He's the otaku version of an Everyman character. And that's a big part of what makes this show so very effective at a meta-level.

Subaru doesn't get to have it easy. He doesn't have powers or brains to allow him smooth decisive victories. And this fantasy world is not bending over backwards for his modern Japan moral values. So this isekai story is refreshingly difficult and truly challenging, and the male lead is going to have work hard for everything he achieves.

I'll even admit that at this point, I truly don't know how Subaru resolves the current arc. It seems hellishly difficult to me. Maybe he ends up dying in this current loop, resets, and goes back to the other Royal Selection candidates with better negotiating abilities, having learned from his current failures. Maybe he thinks of some way to win their support, having learned some lessons from their criticisms of him. One positive here is that Subaru at least had the common sense to reach out for help in this loop. I'm glad we were spared him trying in complete futility to have him and Rem defeat the witch's forces on their own.

Quote:
It is still very by-the-book LN except it has more gore and SUFFERING for the protagonist.
A by-the-book LN probably would have had at least one of the other Royal Selection candidates be won over by Subaru's desperate pleas, here in the 3rd loop of this 3rd arc. A by-the-book LN would have had those modern moral values win out quickly. Thankfully, it's probably not going to be that easy.

Quote:
Like in this episode every other candidate is suddenly embodiment of the devil(because of course Emilia's pure and idealistic vision is the best you guyse), just so Subaru gets no help at all.
It's not evil to refrain from risking the lives of your people in order to save a rival. Crusch really did raise some good points here.

Quote:
And at the top of it Subaru grows even dumber in the way he negotiates with them making all the possible mistakes. Is this the same guy who conned Rom into buying a freaking cellphone? How?
He's the same guy who thought an actual fantasy world would conveniently and instantly conform to the tropes of his world's fiction (first several minutes of Episode 1). And IIRC, he's the same guy who managed to get himself into hot water with the same trio of thugs in a particular alleyway, four times in a row!

Again, he's not that smart. He really isn't. This in fact was one of my main issues with Re:Zero early on. But now I see some positives to it, as I mentioned earlier in this post.

All of the above being said, it's fine if this is just too dark and brutal for you. There are some anime shows that were like that for me. But I'm fine with it here because it is just so awesome at a meta-level. At a more basic level, this episode was a little slow and not particularly flashy/entertaining, but the excellent meta-side means it's still a very good watch overall.

Re:Zero really is taking the piss out of Isekai, and I am so glad to see this happening. No anime (sub)genre deserves this more!
Old 2016-07-17, 19:31   Link #87
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Like 3 episodes in and he still can't reach Emilia unharmed......this is getting hard to watch.

I kinda hope Subaru dies again so he give all the Candidate girls the middle finger without humiliating himself....
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 19:46   Link #88
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Like 3 episodes in and he still can't reach Emilia unharmed......this is getting hard to watch.

I kinda hope Subaru dies again so he give all the Candidate girls the middle finger without humiliating himself....
That would actually be quite effective on Priscilla and would probably work.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 21:17   Link #89
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
You totally missed my point but I don't want to debate on this or bring in another series discussion into this thread.
No, you basically said that only anime viewers could have that knowledge, and I said it wasnt the case.

Anastasia wants everything because "she's greedy" (according to herself).
Priscilla feels she deserves everything because nature itself conspires in her favor.

It may seem similar but it's pretty different.
Old 2016-07-17, 21:31   Link #90
Ringil

Well, Subaru is really disgusting to watch. I enjoyed Anastasia destroying him though.
Ringil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 22:19   Link #91
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
A by-the-book LN probably would have had at least one of the other Royal Selection candidates be won over by Subaru's desperate pleas, here in the 3rd loop of this 3rd arc. A by-the-book LN would have had those modern moral values win out quickly. Thankfully, it's probably not going to be that easy.
Yep, i mean if Subaru was the typicall LN protagonist, he would demonstrate retarded levels of charisma by making epic speeches capable of turning bad guys into pussies, fighting skills beyhond anyone's comprehension and show genius level decision-making even tho he was a total useless otaku/neet in his world..lol. Re:Zero's author already proved he is going against these tropes and Subaru actually acts like someone that rarelly leaves home, eats manga for breakfast and breathes video games all day. He still is a good person and cares for people but the lack of social skills, being too impulsive and having his mind shattered by all the horrors he went through puts him in terrible situations like the one he had with Emilia and like the ones he had in this episode with the girls. It saddens me seeing people wanting him to act like any other protagonist when that would not make any sense taken into account Subaru's background. Plus, we already have tons of anime with Gary Stu-like protagonists. Why demanding this one to be the same as those when Re:zero current success comes from this unusual approach the author is giving to his characters and how brutal magic can be if it was real? Seeing how an unskilled modern day nerd like Subaru deals with ruthless intelligent medieval-like people playing game of thrones when Subaru's only weapon is his time loop ability to gain information about his surroundings, is one of the things i like the most in this title.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 22:41   Link #92
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Yep, i mean if Subaru was the typicall LN protagonist, he would demonstrate retarded levels of charisma by making epic speeches capable of turning bad guys into pussies, fighting skills beyhond anyone's comprehension and show genius level decision-making even tho he was a total useless otaku/neet in his world..lol.

Exactly
. lol

Quote:
Re:Zero's author already proved he is going against these tropes and Subaru actually acts like someone that rarelly leaves home, eats manga for breakfast and breathes video games all day. He still is a good person and cares for people but the lack of social skills, being too impulsive and having his mind shattered by all the horrors he went through puts him in terrible situations like the one he had with Emilia and like the ones he had in this episode with the girls. It saddens me seeing people wanting him to act like any other protagonist when that would not make any sense taken into account Subaru's background. Plus, we already have tons of anime with Gary Stu-like protagonists. Why demanding this one to be the same as those when Re:zero current success comes from this unusual approach the author is giving to his characters and how brutal magic can be if it was real? Seeing how an unskilled modern day nerd like Subaru deals with ruthless intelligent medieval-like people playing game of thrones when Subaru's only weapon is his time loop ability to gain information about his surroundings, is one of the things i like the most in this title.
I completely agree.

I know it's a little strange to talk of "realism" when it comes to an isekai story, but I think realism is one of Re:Zero's biggest strengths. Basically, if something similar to an isekai story happened in real life, how would it most believably play out? Well, truthfully, the unskilled modern day nerd would probably get killed early on, so just to have a good story, Subaru is like a video game character given infinite lives. And the story very nicely develops from there.

I know it can be hard to watch at times, but there are silver linings here - Subaru has a true and loyal friend in Rem, and so at least he can count on her. And I think this arc will probably have a good payoff at the end.
Old 2016-07-17, 23:07   Link #93
Cicili

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Subaru hasn't realized that Puck was the one who killed him (and presumably everyone else in the entire continent as well from what I read in the previous ep thread). This is such a joker card it could help Subaru in convincing anyone he needed to help Emilia, but obviously that would be boring and not enough suffering for him.

"fuck you"

It seems some people know that Puck is in a contract with her but nobody knows what happens when she dies. And of course, it's the ultimate trump card,
why would she tell this to anyone. (which reminds me, the capital was probably fucked up real bad at the end of the very first loop when Subaru got here)
This is a bit of my beef with Emilia actually. Yo girl, you getting killed means this world has to go through Puck-pocalypse. You would figure that you'd take some neccesary precautions so you don't get like murdered by sexy ninja assassin when searching for insignia. Or have some defense against evil witch cultists. It's probably better you stay hidden in a cave or forest somewhere actually so you know, this world doesn't have to end for the dumb reason of you dying in a ground dragon cart accident.

A bit disappointed with the episode. 2 points taken off because we didn't get Anastasia's life philosophy. And 1 point taken off because we didn't get to see Ana and Mimi eat burger like in the OP. Episode scores 7/10. (And Anastasia is like my favorite candidate)

When i was originally going through the LN, this is the part where i didn't like Crusch too. But i'll defend her here because what she did was reasonable given the information she had:

1. Subaru is a nobody:
In this precarious situation, accepting help from Crusch would mean that Emilia can't handle matters herself and it would discredit her and cost her the throne. Subaru is the guy who at the Royal Selection Ceremony, Emilia already cut ties with. He isn't speaking on Emilia's behalf here. Subaru has no authority to sell Emilia's chance at the throne in exchange for Crusch's help, and Crusch knows that.

2. She can't confirm Subaru's intel so the whole thing is very risky for her:
It's easier to see where the problem is if we use the example of real life countries. Say China gets a tip from a random Japanese guy called Subaru that one week later Tokyo is going to get hit by terrorists and millions are going to die. Subaru tells China to mobilize the People's Liberation army and go save Japan. China says OK and the army starts sailing to Japan. On the other side of the ocean, USA is now super pissed because they see this as China trying to invade Japan. The army gets to Tokyo and unfortunately finds out that Subaru made everything up. USA declares war and its now World War III.

So it's kinda a delicate situation for Crusch, the risk of Subaru being wrong would be too high. If Subaru is wrong, she'll just be seen unfavorably by everybody and this will cost her her own chance to the throne.

3. Not much to gain from the whole expedition
Either Subaru is right or wrong. Emilia loses anyway. Also the expedition carries a high risk for her because of pt.2. She is not going to go through the risk for little gain, it's not worth it for her.

4. Her own code:
Remember she told everyone that she will make the country not dependent on the Dragon? Because dependency leads to weakness and corruption and will lead to the country getting destroyed. Subaru's plead for help and selling Emilia's chance at the throne goes against her personal values. Some people mention it would be a good idea for her to help because she will have political gain. Might work for Anastasia, but not for Crusch. She wants a fair contest with Emilia. Sending help to Emilia to discredit her goes against her honor.

To put it simply, we're talking about someone who is against the Dragon here. If this girl cared about gain she would be loving the Dragon.Her whole ruling philosophy revolves around people relying on themselves.

Crusch's quote regarding your healthcare: "Why haven't you learnt to use heal magic yet?"

It's quite possible that even if she knows that the village really is going to get attacked and people will die. She might not provide help too because it goes against her values of relying on yourself. Emilia is the one responsible would be her thinking. Also bringing down the Dragon mostly means social turmoil or wars and lives will be lost. People dying in the process? OK with Crusch. Villagers getting killed by witch cultists? Not cool but between people dying and honor/my code/Nazism, i'd stick with my values.

So basically she's a Nazi and i'm not convinced she will help even if she knows people are going to die. Subaru needs to give her a name and reason to fight. Atm, she can't help even if she want to because she lacks a name to go into someone else's territory.

Last edited by Cicili; 2016-07-17 at 23:21.
Cicili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 23:15   Link #94
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicili View Post

So basically she's a Nazi and i'm not convinced she will help even if she knows people are going to die.
You're defending her, and this is the line you end on? ^_^;;

Judging by your description of Crusch (and you probably did a good job until that final line), I would say it's more accurate to call her a strict Libertarian.
Old 2016-07-17, 23:20   Link #95
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

She's merely a medieval commander, as in, a high ranking soldier that moves only to beneffit his Lord (in this case, herself), and actively expects all his underlings to be as capable as s/he is.
Old 2016-07-18, 00:00   Link #96
Arkard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incest Emblem View Post
Trying to convince Crusch to help is one way to go about it.

Then other is to record the conversation on his cell phone and sell the recording to another candidate in exchange for help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
I'll take one thing away from conversation: this is astounding how much importance people put into a half-dead device that can only be used by Subaru.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
He got a clue this loop. Anastasia wanted intel on Crusch's operation. He unwittingly gave it to her this time, but when he loops he'll have leverage.
Subaru got a ton of clues this loop. He knows he can't do this alone and he needs help. he wasn't able to get any assistance because let's be frank, he's understandably still not thinking clearly. He just got snapped out of being mind broken by rage and that's still consuming him as evidenced by his failed negotiations with Crusch. He might be completely screwed this loop but the set up and the appearance of the whale should lead to better success in the next loop. Now just die already so we can move on.

One think that bothered me as well is Subaru's literally pulling his information out of his ass from the POV of the candidates since he can't tell them about Return by Death. The ironic thing is that they all seem to believe him, but the circumstances are too suspicious for them to act as Crusch pointed out. Which brings me to these quotes. Make up something about the cell phone being some sort of magical intelligence gathering device or something. Your information's good, it should work given how impressed everyone seems to be with random magical thingamaroos.

Subaru also knows the proper approaches and motivations now. Anastasia wants the information Subaru gave out for free this time around and he learned Crusch wants weapons/iron. Priscilla is a bit harder, it seems his bigger screw up was his attitude and approach vs what he could offer her since she's made it clear she's only going to act if it's amusing for her. If he can figure out how to bargain based on this, he should have some very powerful, yet also very necessary allies given what he's up against this time around.
Arkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 00:33   Link #97
Jaden

A burger joint? That seems awfully...modern.

So many directions to go. It seems like with some resets, Subaru could have one of the other candidates at his beck and call - all of them are at least willing to invite him over and listen to him. He could also investigate the cult some more, it seems like they have 6 cells operating so there's probably a presence in the capital as well. If he was exceptionally shrewd, he could even join up with them once and see how that goes.

Buuut he doesn't really have the balls to kill himself over and over and get the most out of his power. Fair enough, I probably couldn't get used to doing that. The previous round he had just given up. Now he's back trying to solve everything immediately.

As if that wasn't a tall order, there's the whale issue. This thing could be trouble as it looks like that bandana ossan got eaten and was erased from the other guy's memory. Subaru wasn't affected yet, but it makes me a little worried about what might happen if, say, Rem got eaten.
Old 2016-07-18, 01:03   Link #98
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

So, my prior speculation line: https://forums.animesuki.com/showpos...postcount=2318

Quote:
1) Subaru isn't dead yet. Panic mode; he has to know what happened to Emilia. So he rushes into the house and searches for her. There are a few possible variants, but pretty much all end the same way.
1a) He finds Emilia dead, but someone is still alive (probably Beatrice). That someone kills him.
1b) He finds Emilia still (barely) alive, but everyone else dead. Emilia kills him. Max torture element.
1b) He finds everyone dead or missing (eg: Roswaal). An empty house with no answers. He kills himself.

If someone kills him, he might first learn a tidbit about what happened from what they say.

Emilia killing him would be horrific, but I suspect that won't actually happen until the loop after this, which will need a little extra kick to trump the pain of Rem, and possibly Emilia dying this way.
We got version 1a, with Puck being the one that was still there.

The extra kick in the next loop was Rem's torture, rather than Emilia killing him.

Quote:
2.1) Loop 2: He returns to either right after the fight with Emilia, or the first morning in Crusch's household. The latter is more likely, as that doesn't give him the chance to chase Emilia right as she's leaving.

2.2) He dumps everything and heads directly back to the mansion. This causes enormous conflict with everyone, as he tries to warn them of the attack, but does so badly, and hindered by his curse. The good favor that he'd accumulated as they'd come to believe that he was not a spy evaporates. The KKK group attacks again, and everyone dies. Subaru's presence was worse than useless.

2.3) Worst case: Emilia kills him for being a traitor, before she dies.
Segment 2 was skipped in the adaptation. Apparently there were a bunch of loops in the original story that got skipped over for time reasons. No Emilia confrontation, either (except possibly hinted at with the background image of the official site).

Quote:
3.1) Loop 3: He's reached the bottom of the barrel, ripped out the planking, and kept digging. The only one still with him is Rem. He's dead to the world, until word reaches them that everyone at the mansion has been killed. Rem breaks, possibly kills herself.

3.2) One of the knights (likely Julius) tells him something in the aftermath (at Rem's grave, or similar) that creates some small epiphany. He can't win this alone; he can't change anything by being there himself; he can't stop it by hiding away; the only ones who can do anything about it are his "enemies" — Crusch, Julius, Felix, Wilhelm, etc. He has to convince them to aid a rival for the throne, and a hated half-elf at that.
Segment 3 is basically the second loop of episode 15. Connections with the knights doesn't happen, and the events with Rem went very differently (but she was still a key element in ending his mindbreak), but he now has at least the glimmerings of a plan.

Quote:
4.1) Loop 4: He can't do that by just by playing nice and making friends, the way he did with Ram and Rem. He has to convince knights and potential rulers to act for a good cause that is against their self-interests. He'll have to train seriously, to gain Wilhelm's and the knights' respect, and he'll have to learn how to be convincing on more than just a personal level to sway Crusch. (May take multiple loops.)

4.2) If he can achieve that, then he'll finally have a way forward. And, while he may still be doing it for Emilia, the one that sees him make all that effort will be Rem.

4.3) And for max bonus points, something I've been waiting for since episode 2: That the pictures that he takes on his cell phone stay with him through the loops. I suspect Rem will find them and ask Subaru about them, leading to finally having a way of communicating about the loops with the people he needs to. This finally allows reconciliation with Emilia.

4.3a) If multiple loops are needed, he'll need a way to get killed. Rem finding out about his looping may make it possible for her to help with that. She'd be the only one who could do that as a gesture of trust.
And this is where we are now. Rather than trying to make friends, he's just begging for help, which isn't working for him. Conveniently, Crusch, Priscilla and Anastasia all give him exactly the advice he needs, and there's been plenty of other info sprinkled around for him to pick up on. Now we have to see if he can put that all together into something useful.

And as I noted earlier, the cell phone hint is brought back. Given that it's almost out of power, this is basically the last possible point in time it can actually be used. And also, since it got brought out specifically because Rem asked for it, that continues to lean towards her being the one to find the pictures and kick off that little nugget of info.

So now, where to next?

Roswaal and the knights are away at this time. The big hitters that saved his bacon previously are all explicitly not available to do so now.

Crusch is stockpiling iron, weapons, and soldiers.

Someone is buying up all the transport in town. Possibly Anastasia? She offered the info as a mystery, but it could still be her own doing. Counterpoint to Crusch's hoarding, though I assume Crusch is not the one doing both the hoarding and the transport buying.

Otto has a bunch of oil that he can't sell. Why is the price of oil down?

Crusch's advice is that Subaru has to have something to offer in exchange for the help he wants.

Priscilla's advice is that he needs to have some pride, and not grovel for help.

Anastasia's advice is that he needs to know what people want before he even sits down at the table, and that it's his actions that determine how people view him.

All of them pointed out (yet again) that he needs to get rid of that self-centered greed that's driving him.

So what do they need?

Crusch: She's buying a ton of stuff, and negotiating with the major merchant. I'm guessing she needs money to pay for all the stuff she's buying, and is probably in debt to the bankers.

Priscilla: Entertainment. She thinks the world revolves around her, and as much as she said she wanted everyone groveling at her feet, she actually hates Subaru for doing so. She wants a challenge; someone who can stand up to her and make her actually work for what she wants, for once.

Anastasia: She claimed to be greedy, but I get the feeling she's not greedy for money, but for information. She wants to know secrets, and uses her knowledge as currency and a weapon.

Assuming the above is correct, that gives a clue as to what Emilia probably contracted with Crusch for, to heal Subaru. That also means Subaru can't expect to use that same route. He doesn't have enough money on his own, and he can't promise whatever Emilia has, if Emilia even has enough for that to be viable.

Therefore he'll need to attack the debt, instead. Create a debt from the merchants that he can then turn over to Crusch to cancel out her own debts. I suspect it will be related to the oil that Otto can't sell, and possibly all the transports being bought up (possibly done by the merchants' guild?). Are the merchants creating an artificial glut? For that matter, they might be doing so in order to cut off Crusch's normal finances, if her lands are normally financed with oils (such as olive trees, etc), and the merchants are forcing her into debt to them for the sake of power over her when she ascends. (And even if she doesn't get picked, her family will likely still be in debt to them for nearly forever.) (Shades of Spice & Wolf.)

Priscilla wants pride, and a challenge. That challenge is that the world doesn't revolve around Priscilla; it revolves around Emilia. After all, the greatest legend other than the dragon itself is trying to snuff her out. They don't care about Priscilla. If Priscilla wants to be the center of the world, she has to stand on the same stage as Emilia. Subaru claimed to be a knight, a grand rise in station solely on his own word, forcing a shift in the world's gaze. Can his actions prove himself worthy of his words?

Anastasia: I think that the info Subaru needs in order to pull off the merchant guild trap for Crusch will come from Anastasia, but the information he needs to get her to cooperate will need to come from another source. And what's the greatest keeper of secrets that we know of? Beatrice. The demonic library will be lost if Emilia is killed. Great bit of bait to dangle, there.

So that's the rough outline of the initial plan that I'd try for, in the current situation.

Last edited by Kinematics; 2016-07-18 at 01:46.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 01:14   Link #99
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
She's merely a medieval commander, as in, a high ranking soldier that moves only to beneffit his Lord (in this case, herself), and actively expects all his underlings to be as capable as s/he is.
It's not like it's an entirely medieval way of thinking. Moving your army to another country to fight some evil with no hope of gaining anything from it would get plenty of criticism here and now. Roswaal's territory may not be another country, but neither is it hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post

"fuck you"

It seems some people know that Puck is in a contract with her but nobody knows what happens when she dies. And of course, it's the ultimate trump card, why would she tell this to anyone. (which reminds me, the capital was probably fucked up real bad at the end of the very first loop when Subaru got here)
Even if they help in the short term, everyone will be looking to dispose of her safely, because that's not the kind of threat you can tolerate.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 01:21   Link #100
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Segment 2 was skipped in the adaptation. Apparently there were a bunch of loops in the original story that got skipped over for time reasons. No Emilia confrontation, either (except possibly hinted at with the background image of the official site).
Not really. They have skipped bits and pieces here and there but the core story is just as told.

Nice post though. I like your line of reasoning.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote