2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.75%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-11, 20:35   Link #81
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
I liked the fighting scenes, but the rest was very underwhelming indeed. I like Mibu, but not what they do to her character. Her misunderstanding was the dumbest I've ever seen in anime. It made that whole ' let's forgive the poor little dumb girl' quite jarring to watch.

As anime-only watcher I indeed get the impression that they think showing a cool setting, cool magic and cool MC is enough to make up for lack of characterization. But as SkullFaerie says, it's starting to stick out as a sore thumb.
Your right Mibu's misunderstanding of Mari because she remembered her acting and saying something completely diffrent does make her look stupid.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2014-05-11, 20:42   Link #82
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
. Especially with how obnoxious Tatsuya is with the whole ''the sweet taste of equality" thing
Got me rooting for the antagonists(Mibu mainly)
So.. You disliked it because it clashed with your political ideals?
Old 2014-05-11, 20:53   Link #83
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

i disliked it because it's making everyone else's ideals and such look stupid
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Old 2014-05-11, 21:03   Link #84
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
i disliked it because it's making everyone else's ideals and such look stupid
I see

But this is a common thing isn't it. Not just in fiction but in real life as well. I'm not sure where I want to go with this so you don't have to reply.
Old 2014-05-11, 21:19   Link #85
rladls716

It made me think why even Mibu Sayaka still attending The Magic School, more than a year if she cannot bear with discrimination?
She should just quit the Magic School and find many other schools and other ways to hone her sword skills where there is problem free.

Her specially is sword combat, so being a course 2 student is least of her worries.
She already knew herself that she does not have the requirement of a course 1 student level of magic skills.

But then again, if it weren't for Kirihara Takeaki, Sayaka seriously has to quit the magic school.

I can't believe there is a terrorists organization succeeded on manipulating this many students for their desires.
The Magic School might get sued by some student's parents for letting this happen.
Old 2014-05-11, 21:29   Link #86
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I see

But this is a common thing isn't it. Not just in fiction but in real life as well. I'm not sure where I want to go with this so you don't have to reply.

More and more this show is starting to remind me of American military /sci fi. Most of which leans hard to the right and a number of whose authors like to put in liberal polices and thinly disguised well know liberals as the root of all evil(including having them rounded up and herded into an arena to be shot for the good of the nation). I find it annoying because of all the straw man and stacked deck arguments even if I agree with the author's opinion about whatever they are complaining about. Even more so I guess if I agree because it makes the rest of us look bad by association.
Old 2014-05-11, 21:41   Link #87
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
I can't believe there is a terrorists organization succeeded on manipulating this many students for their desires.
The school might get sued by some student's parents for letting this happen.
lol, at this point, I am curious on whether it's a problem solely for this school, or does it also affect other schools...
Old 2014-05-11, 22:01   Link #88
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Politically-focused fiction in general tends to cheaply caricaturize "the other side" of the issue. I've never seen a big difference between the right and the left when it comes to this. Mahouka is not much better, but it's not much worse either. At least Tatsuya has put some thought into his political/philosophical position, and he's brutally frank about it. At least Mibu is implicitly being forgiven for her mistakes, and is not being downright demonized for her position.
Old 2014-05-11, 22:10   Link #89
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
More and more this show is starting to remind me of American military /sci fi. Most of which leans hard to the right and a number of whose authors like to put in liberal polices and thinly disguised well know liberals as the root of all evil(including having them rounded up and herded into an arena to be shot for the good of the nation). I find it annoying because of all the straw man and stacked deck arguments even if I agree with the author's opinion about whatever they are complaining about. Even more so I guess if I agree because it makes the rest of us look bad by association.
I'm not sure i totally agree with the author being right winged as i always had the impression that he was satirizing Japan in Mahouka by grossly exaggerating everything, even if it was up to this point in the novel, and later volumes haven't changed my impression of that.

Although i agree that strawman or stacked decked arguments are a bit annoying, i don't find fiction or real life that much better in respect to the portrayal of this. "Us vs Them" is kind of human nature so someone is gonna get denounced sooner or later anyways imo.
Old 2014-05-11, 22:23   Link #90
kagato3

Quote:
We have basicly been shown that this whole discrimination thing is nothing more then teenagers being jerks to each other being massively blown out of proportion by a smooth talker with an agenda. Tatsuya's point (life is not fair, deal) is valid. The course 2 students are just as responsible for the discrimination as they just blindly accept it failing to notice that the only difference between course 1 and 2 students is that course 1 students get teachers and can be part of the SC. The teaching one can't be fixed by any practical means but doesn't stop course 2 students from getting the same diploma as them, the second one was never bothered to be changed but it is so minor that I don't think the protesters even knew about it and the SC prez is trying to get it changed.
It has nothing to do with politics.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2014-05-11, 22:34   Link #91
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

How does one simply butcher the phrasing of another person? If it was such an important moment, you'd think she would remember everything word for word. It just doesn't make any sense.

It would make more sense if she "misinterpreted" what Mari said if she presented it in a vague manner, but Mari was very clear in saying that Mari was no match for Mibu. Completely remembering a whole different phrasing on the other hand is just pure WTFBBQ moment for me. I don't get it.

Otherwise, nice episode. I love seeing Miyuki in action, and Tatsuya is just a badass at close hand-to-hand combat. And Chiba is pretty badass too
Old 2014-05-11, 22:44   Link #92
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
We have basicly been shown that this whole discrimination thing is nothing more then teenagers being jerks to each other being massively blown out of proportion by a smooth talker with an agenda. Tatsuya's point (life is not fair, deal) is valid. The course 2 students are just as responsible for the discrimination as they just blindly accept it failing to notice that the only difference between course 1 and 2 students is that course 1 students get teachers and can be part of the SC. The teaching one can't be fixed by any practical means but doesn't stop course 2 students from getting the same diploma as them, the second one was never bothered to be changed but it is so minor that I don't think the protesters even knew about it and the SC prez is trying to get it changed.
It has nothing to do with politics.
Actually we have not been shown that we have been told that by male Ayn Rand( with a side order of blaming the victim) . What we have been show is systemic discrimination as well as personal discrimination.

Of course in the end it turns out the only problem was that the underclass is made up of easily lead idiots who had to be shown the error of their ways by the MC.
Old 2014-05-11, 23:02   Link #93
maplehurry

Quote:
Tatsuya's point (life is not fair, deal) is valid.
Actually, it's: Life's not fair. Might's right. Deal with it only if you don't have the might.
Old 2014-05-11, 23:07   Link #94
kagato3

Quote:
Actually we have not been shown that we have been told that by male Ayn Rand( with a side order of blaming the victim) . What we have been show is systemic discrimination as well as personal discrimination.

Of course in the end it turns out the only problem was that the underclass is made up of easily lead idiots who had to be shown the error of their ways by the MC.
Please enlighten me to how Course 2 students have been subjects of discrimination that have not been based solely on personal anger(Teens being jerks)(kendo demonstration), jealousy(Teens being jerks)(the lunch room) or valid logical arguments(Hanzo on Tatsuya in the DC, Tatsuya was using the same augment to get out of doing the DC job and would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that meddling Sister)(The teacher issue, Mibu doesn't even count this as discrimination since she was not for getting Corse 2 students teachers).
Old 2014-05-12, 00:47   Link #95
Allium
Keep on keeping on

This show is getting more difficult for me to like. It has some nice action, but the characters are just so bland, and this episode didn't help either. Mibu's misunderstanding was facedesk-worthy.
Old 2014-05-12, 01:13   Link #96
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Please enlighten me to how Course 2 students have been subjects of discrimination that have not been based solely on personal anger(Teens being jerks)(kendo demonstration), jealousy(Teens being jerks)(the lunch room) or valid logical arguments(Hanzo on Tatsuya in the DC, Tatsuya was using the same augment to get out of doing the DC job and would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that meddling Sister)(The teacher issue, Mibu doesn't even count this as discrimination since she was not for getting Corse 2 students teachers).
How about the fact that C2 students can't serve on student council or that they are forced wear uniforms that makes convenient targets of derogatory insults and the like based on stupid mistake that should have been corrected long ago? But that aside a bit your post actually just proved that there is discrimination. Whether it's coming from teens or adults, whether it's about race or ability, is irrelevant. Discrimination is discrimination, it shouldn't be sugarcoated or tolerated in whatever form it takes. It's poisonous to any social environment, especially in one that is supposed to be a a place of learning where futures are shaped. The fact this status quo is thought to superseded familial bonds as shown with Morisaki in ep 1 or allows the Blooms to feel that it is their inherent right to not show Weeds any respect as shown Hanzo in ep 2 is pretty telling about how abnormal and severe the problem is. What's even more egregious is despite the fact this isn't actually allowed by school regulations, the incompetent administrative staff does nothing to enforce that rule and lets such a culture foster.

Now we have the author later strawmanning the opposition (using Mibu as the symbol) who shouldn't of had trouble conveying such simple ideas. All so he could prop up some right-winged ideology by associating the other side with terrorists and completely undermine them instead of acknowledging that both sides had some merit regardless of whether some international organization ulterior motives might be involved or not. The entire thing is framed in such bluntly laughable biased narrowed fashion that I'm not going to bother taking Mahouka politics seriously at all.

I frankly I don't also buy that any of issues in that school are unsolvable, because they aren't. It just requires someone with brains and a effort to care to take the necessary steps to do so. Sure some of these changes may hurt in short term, but anything worth doing usually does especially when it comes to producing positive long term results.
Old 2014-05-12, 01:44   Link #97
kukuru

Are we at this BS again? This isn't even sitting at the back of the bus situation. It's a freakin uniform. And let's be realistic. "forced" wtf.

Let me change a term on that.

Hi I'm a first year, I'm force to wear a first year badge with 1st year ID. Those 2nd years and 3rd years are discriminating against me for being a first year which I should be in because I have not reached 2nd year.

Are there a bunch of jerks in school there is always jerks in school. Are there circles in school? There are always circles in school.

But no "systematic" discrimination is happening on that level. Going on clothing is the flimsiest argument of all the argument, is Mibu level goof up. It's all in your mind, why there the blank on your shoulder is derogatory.

Seriously there are many sides to this. Clothing is just...
Old 2014-05-12, 01:44   Link #98
Kakurin
大佐

I've just finished volume 2, so I have to be careful what I say. Just this, at least wait for another week before dropping the hammer on Mahouka over an issue like Mibu's stupidity.
Old 2014-05-12, 02:06   Link #99
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuru View Post
Are we at this BS again? This isn't even sitting at the back of the bus situation. It's a freakin uniform. And let's be realistic. "forced" wtf.

Let me change a term on that.

Hi I'm a first year, I'm force to wear a first year badge with 1st year ID. Those 2nd years and 3rd years are discriminating against me for being a first year which I should be in because I have not reached 2nd year.

Are there a bunch of jerks in school there is always jerks in school. Are there circles in school? There are always circles in school.

But no "systematic" discrimination is happening on that level. Going on clothing is the flimsiest argument of all the argument, is Mibu level goof up. It's all in your mind, why there the blank on your shoulder is derogatory.

Seriously there are many sides to this. Clothing is just...
Discrimination has always been based on flimsy reasoning or some stupid trait to define an entire person's worth (or lack thereof). The issue as the anime has presented it isn't limited to one or two people taking advantage of it, but half the student body. It even restricts the one half and makes their lives harder than it is. If all this drama really to amounted to some retarded misunderstanding which handwaved so Tatsuya can go beat up some generic terrorists then this probably ranks up as one of most pointless and poorest arcs I've ever witnessed.
Old 2014-05-12, 02:47   Link #100
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
From what little I've read of manga, the anime isn't very different in that regard to this and I hear it's worse in the LN. I'm going to agree with Triple R here go with Miyuki being a YMMV type of character.

Except there hasn't even been much in way of action either, just dialogue that is (for the most part) as dry as a 16th century old corpse. Maybe internal monologues in LN do make things a bit more interesting, but then this issue would be partly the fault of original source for directing all of that there in first place. Besides paragraphs of internalized dialogue rarely work in any visual medium unless backup by the strength pf very good writing and colorfully personalities anyway.
yeah, and that's the bummer

^ yup, and the "discrimination" thing is stupid, and I think the author think that too