AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series > F/SN UBW TV Spoiler Threads (for Franchise Veterans)

Notices

View Poll Results: F/SN UBW TV - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 8 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 12.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 28.13%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 28.13%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 6.25%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-06-07, 10:24   Link #81
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I calculated/estimated King Arthur to be around 56 at age of death. But supposedly, Nasu condensed Arthur's timeline so it's about 10% as long as it was in real lore, which is stupid as hell and doesn't make any sense, so I'm sticking with Saber being about 56 in a 14 year old's body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
It's pretty weird how a mentally grown woman falls for a teenager in the Fate Route. One of the reasons I dislike their romance, as well as the route itself xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizix View Post
What's weirder is that I thought she was a grown woman in her 20's, at the very least. You sure about that though? She looks, speaks and acts nothing like a 14 year old. Anime and ages are always odd though. I guess it's because they think teenagers in Japan can only relate to other teens in fiction.
This is why I always thought that changing Arthur into a young little girl is a stupid idea for a serious story like this. It would be fine if we’re in a comedic gender-bender anime/game, but not something like Fate which part of the story is still based on known legend IRL. Why not make Saber being any other warrior who was actually female, or a warrior whose gender was vague or questioned at least (I’m looking at you, Uesugi Kenshin)? The Saber that we got now might be a very sucessful marketing ploy, but it fails me in the story department, you hear that Nasu (or whoever came up with the gender-bender idea)? I know you don't.
Old 2015-06-07, 10:32   Link #82
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
He's trying, and changing small pockets of it, but he's been working on it for less than 10 years. At an organization that's likely around 1,000 years old (it existed in the middle ages).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
This is why I always thought that changing Arthur into a young little girl is a stupid idea for a serious story like this. It would be fine if we’re in a comedic gender-bender anime/game, but not something like Fate which part of the story is still based on known legend IRL. Why not make Saber being any other warrior who was actually female, or a warrior whose gender was vague or questioned at least (I’m looking at you, Uesugi Kenshin)? The Saber that we got now might be a very sucessful marketing ploy, but it fails me in the story department, you hear that Nasu (or whoever came up with the gender-bender idea)? I know you don't.
Tbh, when I first saw Saber I thought she was Joan of Arc or someone like that. Its not hard to find an alternative.
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 11:20   Link #83
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Tbh, when I first saw Saber I thought she was Joan of Arc or someone like that. Its not hard to find an alternative.
... Gilles de Rais? Is that you?
Old 2015-06-07, 11:26   Link #84
GDB

To be fair, pretty much everyone who played the VN without prior knowledge of the series thought she was Joan of Arc up until the reveal. That's why Urobuchi lampshaded it with Caster in F/Z.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 12:00   Link #85
monster

Was Saber's age ever mentioned in the story? If not, then there's no reason to think that she's much older than she looks. To say that she is a 40-50-year-old woman in a teenage/young adult body is too contrived. In fact, if she did die at a younger age, it makes her story even more tragic and impressive at the same time, a better fit to become a legend.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 12:40   Link #86
GDB

They said she stopped aging when she pulled the sword from the stone, and she's King Arthur. Not hard to add it up.
Old 2015-06-07, 12:49   Link #87
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Wait, did Rin just walk around in circles around the table?
Like Master, like student. lol
Old 2015-06-07, 12:53   Link #88
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Wait, did Rin just walk around in circles around the table?
Like Master, like student. lol
Are you saying it...came full circle?

*is shot*
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 12:55   Link #89
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

She was a young woman when she pulled the sword from the stone. Not sure how old but can't be older than 20. Wouldn't surprise me if it was more like the 16-ish region or somewhere in between though.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 12:56   Link #90
GDB

She was young enough that others bought the story of her being a prepubescent boy.
Old 2015-06-07, 13:00   Link #91
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantine View Post
I still feel ufotable have done a disservice to Rin's character throughout the show, however, by overemphasizing her tsundere antics, which I remember being a bit more subtle in the VN. But oh well.
VN Rin is definitely much better. It's not quite as bad, but it reminds me of what they did to Asuka in the Rebuild of Evangelion movies.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 13:10   Link #92
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
... Gilles de Rais? Is that you?
I'm probably going to make myself look like a completely uneducated idiot, but I don't get it.
Old 2015-06-07, 13:12   Link #93
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I'm probably going to make myself look like a completely uneducated idiot, but I don't get it.
That's a Fate/Zero reference. In Fate/Zero, Caster is an insane Gilles de Rais who is obsessed with Saber because he thinks she's Jeanne D'arc.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 13:14   Link #94
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
VN Rin is definitely much better. It's not quite as bad, but it reminds me of what they did to Asuka in the Rebuild of Evangelion movies.
I've never read the VN, I've seen stuff from it though. I've also only watched fate and fate zero. Based on all that I personally find Rin absolutely fine, she's a good character.

I also find ufotables work on the series much better than the original. I have to question whether the dislike for the adaptation is in part a case of adaptations always being a let down for source fans.

Btw, I base most of this on what I've been seeing on MAL, not your comment specifically. They seem very unhappy about that groggy sex scene being removed. That is unfortunately something I have seen from the source material.
Old 2015-06-07, 13:15   Link #95
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That's a Fate/Zero reference. In Fate/Zero, Caster is an insane Gilles de Rais who is obsessed with Saber because he thinks she's Jeanne D'arc.
Oh, I see. I thought it was a reference to something in the real world. Also shows how much attention I paid. :-/

I should really watch fate zero properly. It was my "its gonna be a long night" show when my daughter was small.
Old 2015-06-07, 13:25   Link #96
ShadowSamurai365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Based on what I've heard, it was the time the game was being released/made is the reason of the change of characters/stories. As for the gender-bender thing, I thought it was Nasu's boss who came up with the idea.

Quote:
I've never read the VN, I've seen stuff from it though. I've also only watched fate and fate zero. Based on all that I personally find Rin absolutely fine, she's a good character.

I also find ufotables work on the series much better than the original. I have to question whether the dislike for the adaptation is in part a case of adaptations always being a let down for source fans.

Btw, I base most of this on what I've been seeing on MAL, not your comment specifically. They seem very unhappy about that groggy sex scene being removed. That is unfortunately something I have seen from the source material.
I guess this is what happens when people seriously hype a series for no apparent reason.
ShadowSamurai365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 14:10   Link #97
monster

Quote:
They said she stopped aging when she pulled the sword from the stone, and she's King Arthur. Not hard to add it up.
That's assuming the legend of King Arthur is free of embellishments.

Either way, her actual age seems a minor obstacle to falling in love with a guy like Shirou, especially if she has practically stopped aging.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 15:28   Link #98
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:

I gotta say, as someone who has read the VN, I too think Ufotable's work is superior. The only thing VN does better is the lore in my opinion.
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 17:27   Link #99
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSamurai365 View Post
Based on what I've heard, it was the time the game was being released/made is the reason of the change of characters/stories. As for the gender-bender thing, I thought it was Nasu's boss who came up with the idea.
Nasu doesn't have a boss, he/she and Takeuchi are the co-founders of Type-Moon.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 19:51   Link #100
hinode

Garden of Avalon clarified that ten years passed between Saber pulling Caliburn out of the stone and establishing her court at Camelot, then she reigned for ten afterwards.
hinode is offline   Reply With Quote