5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 17.24%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 6.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-15, 16:18   Link #81
HirouKeimou

I have very little issues with Delta in general, and this episode pushes me close to wondering if Delta is preaching anything Kawamori said it should. After all, no communication is going on from the others involved.

In example, Arad is not directly filling in Hayate on all Berger said or about music is a weapon. Meanwhile, everyone in the cast (aside from Arad) wishes for Hayate and Freyja to realign their dynamic and once more fly for each other. Unfortunately, Hayate believes this is all on him (as he says more than once in this episode; "she won't sing because of me?") and so he's less encouraged to cheer her up/comfort her like a friend should (because if it's only about him, then it's no big deal to him, he'll quit flying in Delta for her if it'll help her reach her people and end this war; he'll be disappointed because he finally discovered something he desires to do but he'll go on). And sadly, if her songs do cause him to go Var, he'll be forced by Arad no less to quit flying in Delta (I don't know if he'll quit in general or not), and even if you rationalize it, neither will win.

Of course, Freyja knows her main issue: if singing is really a weapon. Because, in her mind, if singing is a weapon, it'll mean all along she's been helping spread Var instead of containing it. The only reason she is so focused on Hayate is because he is her best friend, and a continuous reminder of her main issue in general.

Their relationship has run into so many hurdles since episode 17 rolled around that neither has had a second to absorb it all or discuss it. Neither is positive of where to go from here because one wrong move could prove fatal for either side (Hayate going Var and/or dying; Freyja giving up singing/sacrificing herself; and/or everything going to Hell because of conspiracies).

No matter how many angles I absorb of Delta in this episode, I see no positive outcome in this war; and I only hope Hayate and Freyja will survive it (because I love them so much, especially Freyja, and I'd like them to live).
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 16:22   Link #82
Thess

I'm more wondering if they'll still blindly believe in Lady M, who they don't know who she is, or support the girls.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 16:30   Link #83
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I'm more wondering if they'll still blindly believe in Lady M, who they don't know who she is, or support the girls.
I don't know about this; however, because of the last episode, I do wonder if NUNS is aware of "music is a weapon" and purposely created Walkure for this purpose under false pretenses of saying "it's for the good of everyone" or along those lines. I mean, at this point, it could be true. After all, if Lady M is in charge of them, and we neither know who she is or if she exists, it's a legitimate possibility.
Old 2016-08-15, 16:39   Link #84
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
I don't know about this; however, because of the last episode, I do wonder if NUNS is aware of "music is a weapon" and purposely created Walkure for this purpose under false pretenses of saying "it's for the good of everyone" or along those lines. I mean, at this point, it could be true. After all, if Lady M is in charge of them, and we neither know who she is or if she exists, it's a legitimate possibility.
Not sure, but wasn't firebomber already such kind of a project where they wanted to try this out?
Old 2016-08-15, 16:40   Link #85
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Not sure, but wasn't firebomber already such kind of a project where they wanted to try this out?
No? Basara would kill himself if he heard that reasoning or at least argue with them to LISTEN TO HIS SONG. It's completely against Basara's goal and motivation.

They are making a reference to the Jamming Birds. That was the failure of NUNS sound force in Macross 7.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-08-15, 16:56   Link #86
Father Hentai

Quote:
No? Basara would kill himself if he heard that reasoning or at least argue with them to LISTEN TO HIS SONG. It's completely against Basara's goal and motivation.

They are making a reference to the Jamming Birds. That was the failure of NUNS sound force in Macross 7.
So Firebomber was a prototype to later create other units whose purpose are to be weapons to defend against the protodevlin (and maybe other sound affected alien forms like the Zentradi/Meltradi).
Old 2016-08-15, 17:18   Link #87
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Well it sort of was and it sort of wasn't. They were later made into a sortof a defensive unit used to aid the military as their music was the only reliable defense against the protodevlin with Basara deciding to do his own thing all the time.

Eventually it was decided Basara was right lolol

I don't think the music was ever used to inflict actual damage though as often the protodevlin just ran off in orgasmic frenzy
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 17:30   Link #88
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
Eventually it was decided Basara was right lolol
Always put your trust in Basara.

Old 2016-08-15, 17:35   Link #89
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Minmay Attack was initially treated as a fluke due to culture shock. Once guys like Quamzin got inoculated they are cultured Zentradi but still have the aggressiveness implanted in their genes. That is why a some join the Anti-UN.

Zentradi descent with that problem do different things to treat it. Guld takes medication for it but the effect seems to be memory suppression. Ouroboros Zentradi do so with implants to curbed those instincts. Macross 7 fleet in Macross 7th Chord noting a correlation between crime and Zentradi aggressiveness created a training school to train tactical sound units.

Earth UN Forces brass were skeptical the Minmay Attack would work without Minmay herself. That is until Basara came along and tamed an entire fleet of Meltrandi. Probably made notes that Zentradi need idols while Meltrans you give them Rock Stars. In 2047 the idol group Milky Dolls utilizing the technology started by Dr. Chiba helped culture shock a Lost Zentradi fleet with a repaired Mobile Fortress that was aiming to attack Earth itself.

So yeah with understanding the science behind it the Minmay Attack strategy was back on the table.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 19:13   Link #90
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Quote:
Er...Lady M and Chaos (the main branch) are the ones who've taken Mikumo,
Spoiler for episode content:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 19:20   Link #91
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingMangos View Post
It's quite strange that for a big community that Macross has, we have to rely on one anon or more to translate new episodes. I wish Crunchyroll at least picked this show up so, we don't have to play any waiting game on subs.
So... you don't know about the thing with the people and the other thing...?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 19:37   Link #92
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Er...Lady M and Chaos (the main branch) are the ones who've taken Mikumo,
Spoiler for episode content:
That's what I mean with choosing Lady M or the girls?

Spoiler for as for Mirage:

Old 2016-08-15, 19:55   Link #93
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
That's what I mean with choosing Lady M or the girls?

Oh, 'they' being the Xaos Ragna branch/Elysion? That probably has something to do with character arcs as well....

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2016-08-15 at 20:08.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 20:09   Link #94
lfhoule

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingMangos View Post
It's quite strange that for a big community that Macross has, we have to rely on one anon or more to translate new episodes. I wish Crunchyroll at least picked this show up so, we don't have to play any waiting game on subs.
Yes, it is a big mess, and compounding it is the fact that Harmony Gold, with the backing of Warner Brothers, are making their biggest push yet to get a live action Robotech film franchise a reality because Robotech has hit 30 years...

Getting more back on topic... when will we see an idol gravure style artbook for Makina? First we have episode 16 (along with the short from the vol.1 BD), and now this episode when she disguises herself as a nurse (Hello, nurse!!!!)
If no one over there is thinking about doing this, WHY NOT?!? I have money... TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!
lfhoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 20:16   Link #95
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Oh, 'they' being the Xaos Ragna branch/Elysion? That probably has something to do with character arcs as well....

Yep. "They" as in Chuck, Ernest, Arad and the bridge bunnies.

Old 2016-08-16, 23:11   Link #96
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I've moved the latest discussion to the general discussion thread since it really wasn't about episode 20 (and I would like to point out forum rule 2.3 for good measure).
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 23:56   Link #97
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Which has been a worry some of us already talked about as soon as the preview episode came out.... too many characters to tell good stories about all of them. And, voilá, we really did get flat characters and now, on top of that, a bunch of conspiracies within conspiracies nobody asked for.
Eh, within the last couple of episodes, and in this one, I feel like this Macross is trying to play the role of a Gundam (multiple conspiracies inside one series which conclude badly).

I don't know if I'd call all its characters flat though.
Because Hayate and Freyja especially have come along leaps and bounds in character development (because neither is "happy-go-lucky" anymore ). Kaname is a slower example because she's developed a bit more within these last 2-3 episodes and is becoming self-aware of things going on within Chaos (as she is very concerned about possibilities Arad is lying about things to her). There's also Roid, who is becoming an intriguing character for "where his plans will develop to." And of course, Keith has been developing, too; for his character is becoming aware of Roid possibly becoming "evil" and/or not doing this for Windermere anymore. Chuck is a little less flat than he used to be, he's more concerned about his friends than in the beginning (this is because Messar died and Hayate promised to fly for his half, too).

It's all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose; because I see characters who have developed.

But I don't totally disagree with you.
Mirage is one of those "flat characters" for me at this point because she is not developing even a little outside of the triangle, and it's really depressing because I believed she'd eventually become even a little intriguing (even if Sheryl had a rough beginning, she developed nicely). And, of course, there is Heinz, who is literally a mind-control machine only because his "development" is forced half the time (he is completely unaware or idiotic enough to believe in Roid). Also, let's not rule out Makina and Reina, who in this episode... it's a little unbelievable that they're so into saving Mikumo because their characters up until now have placed their hopes in Chaos and never once doubted them. Another example is Mikumo, because regardless of what people on here say, she has not developed "on screen" in my eyes; she continuously goes from being mysterious to plain confusing (notable moment is when she is asking Freyja if she is seeing the "real her" in episode 7); and until the last couple of episodes, her character development has been so slow, even after the birthday episode.

So I'm not disagreeing with you vision on Delta.
But I do see a value in a group of characters. Doesn't help Delta that it has enough characters to play all the roles in Durarara!! and not enough episodes to cover every single one...
Old 2016-08-17, 01:03   Link #98
magnuskn

Oh, come on, Sheryl had one episode (the first) where she was somewhat unlikeable and that even only a bit, because jet lag and perfectionism.
Old 2016-08-17, 01:18   Link #99
Mistyclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Oh, come on, Sheryl had one episode (the first) where she was somewhat unlikeable and that even only a bit, because jet lag and perfectionism.
It wasn't even a full episode more like just a few moments in the first episode.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 01:32   Link #100
magnuskn

That's what I meant.