Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-07-04, 03:51   Link #81
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Corporate mentality doesn't change. It's all about how the MC responds to situations.

In his last one, he could have

a. Kept quiet, stayed as long as it takes to get a good referral and left company on good terms (most logical choice- female is dead and nothing will change that situation; it's in his best interest to leave company and still make an acceptable income)
b. Become a whistleblower if there is legal protection in Japan (but there is no law broken)
c. Act irrationally and blow up at boss (bad ending choice)
d. internalize everything and drop out of society (bad ending choice)

What it boiled down to was that his boss also made poor choices and in the end made a very bad choice. She's a female in management, besting her male colleagues. S**t is going to happen to her. (Japanese proverb: "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.") Suicide is not an acceptable choice and only ends in the colleagues saying how she just couldn't handle the pressure, blah,blah, blah. Females in management can't handle pressure blah, blah, blah.... It reinforces stereotypes. No one is going to think they did anything wrong as their company culture has no problems with the behaviour.
I'll say honestly....this sounds utterly horrible.

Suicide isn't an acceptable choice, but nothing wrong with bullying someone to the point of suicide? And what is with the "of course something is going to happen?" That your colleagues are always going to be scumbags is something acceptable and normal? Where was the hammering for the nails standing out that were intentionally sabotaging their own business?

The only thing that suicide should have done to normal human beings is make them guilt ridden that they indirectly killed someone!

I think the only problem for Arata was that he didn't fully believe in his actions. That running into problems made him close up and not believe in himself. Losing it on people who drove someone into the grave was the right thing to do. I think it's more irrational to cheerfully work with people who did damage to their own business to spite someone and drove a person to suicide. He may have been financially better off, but he would have been a worse person as a result.
Old 2016-07-04, 05:10   Link #82
Draco Spirit

TBH with a company like that I just walk away. Who wants to be part of such a toxic workplace? And if it comes up at future interviews, I just explain that's why!
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 07:43   Link #83
Cerilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
TBH with a company like that I just walk away. Who wants to be part of such a toxic workplace? And if it comes up at future interviews, I just explain that's why!
And then perceived by the interviewer as badmouthing his previous company. That's a big no no and a good way to nuke his interview, especially in Japan where loyalty is valued highly. If he badmouth the previous company, who can give guarantee that you won't do the same to the company doing the interview? The last thing headhunter want is an uncooperative prospect.

Honestly, I think Kaizaki is cornered when asked why he leave the company.

Last edited by Cerilla; 2016-07-04 at 08:22. Reason: A bit of clearing up.
Cerilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 10:34   Link #84
SethOfI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerilla View Post
If he badmouth the previous company, who can give guarantee that you won't do the same to the company doing the interview? The last thing headhunter want is an uncooperative prospect.

Honestly, I think Kaizaki is cornered when asked why he leave the company.
Spoiler for describing scenes and backstory from the anime:
SethOfI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 11:17   Link #85
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I just checked the manga last night. They actually did 100+ chapters in 13 episodes, which covered term 1. There are currently only 130+ chapters available, so season 2 if there is one, won't be on the horizon.

There are quite a number of changes and condensation of material. The changes are relatively minor and not earth-shattering but the original manga is worth reading to get a different experience from the anime, provided you already enjoy the anime. Just pick a few random chapters and you will see what I mean.
Yep, season 2 is a long way off if it does happen (which I hope it does). We've got to keep in mind as well that each chapter of the web manga is something like half to 2/3 the content of a typical manga chapter, so they're really adapting about 5-6 volumes of material. That's said, it is still a lot of content, and I am amazed at how well paced and faithful the show has been.

Quote:
Maybe, but you have to keep in mind the Japanese culture of loyalty to a company, and that seniority is placed fairly high on the corporate pedestal. The younger working generation does have a more open attitude to job hopping, but i'm willing to bet it is still the exception rather than the norm.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 11:53   Link #86
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
You prob won't get another job with that attitude, even in America. There is no way to verify that what you said happened and the person who the headhunter is going to talk to is the same person who fired you.

It was best for him to hang in for 6 months and then leave gracefully with a nice recommendation from his previous job. Give a good excuse like "I want to be closer to my family, live in a better neighborhood, wanting to move to a different region." He could have also transferred to another area within the company to get away from those guys.

Also, they were only toxic to her. He had no problems with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'll say honestly....this sounds utterly horrible.

Suicide isn't an acceptable choice, but nothing wrong with bullying someone to the point of suicide? And what is with the "of course something is going to happen?" That your colleagues are always going to be scumbags is something acceptable and normal? Where was the hammering for the nails standing out that were intentionally sabotaging their own business?
<snip>
She is an adult. She should be mature enough to know how to handle it. She could ask for a transfer to another dept to get out of the area or transfer to a less toxic company. Instead, she thought that all was going to be roses that she was a top manager in a competitive area, female, prob making more money than her colleagues and nobody was going to sabotage her. That's "high school thinking" at it's finest. She prob did not have a really competitive high school or college experience or she would know what to expect. She stuck out and got hammered.

The company did not break any laws.

When people try to get you fired, you either leave or try to get them fired. Since she could not pinpoint who did it , then she needed to leave.

Last edited by orion; 2016-07-04 at 12:03.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 11:55   Link #87
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
You prob won't get another job with that attitude,even in America. There is no way to verify that what you said happened and the person who the headhunter is going to talk to is the same person who fired you.

It was best for him to hang in for 6 months and then leave.

Actually you can just downtalk it to ' I couldn't take the atmosphere after there after sempai comitted suicide right inside the building.'

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 12:08   Link #88
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Actually you can just downtalk it to ' I couldn't take the atmosphere after there after sempai comitted suicide right inside the building.'
Seriously....... that won't work. You get counseling and keep working. Jobs aren't a dime a dozen. Besides, the headhunter would not want to believe that the colleagues drove her to suicide for the reasons I stated in the previous post. She basically had a coping skill issue which got compromised with the extreme work stress. She felt trapped and had no way out. She needed counseling so that she could see her options and act on them. Unfortunately, I bet her job did not have EAP services as part of their benefits.

https://www.opm.gov/faqs/QA.aspx?fid...8-34039a1e1174

The MC blamed the job 100% for the problem when his sempai also had responsibility for her actions.

When you're in school, it's "bullying bad". When you're in a workplace, it's "report them if possible or transfer to a better work area".

Last edited by orion; 2016-07-04 at 12:20.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 13:07   Link #89
watisit

Spoiler:
watisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 19:59   Link #90
Syan48306
Forgotten Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I'll never understand Japan's obsession with high school life.

It's a promising first episode, I still don't know how the series will go. Will he affect the life of everyone shown in the OP by showering them with his 28 year old sage advice? Will he make everyone part of his harem through his adult/mature guy charm? Will it be just a slice of life for a guy pretending to be a high schooler?

As for not being able to remember stuff from high school, I'm quite sure I'll fail high school if somebody tells me to attend one tomorrow. I'd probably not forget my pencil case, and maybe pass my science and english subjects but maths would definitely be a failure

As for the other stuff, I'm wondering if there's another one in class who's also a relifer (if that's a word) and who is/was subject 001??
I feel like the main character properly sums up why Japanese culture is so obsessed with high school life. It might be only 10 years prior but it represents EVERYTHING the show has basically outlined their pasts to be. Carefree, time when they could make mistakes, and a simpler time before entering the work force.

Episode 13 had me on the edge of my seat but alas we've got to be patient a little longer. lol.
Syan48306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 20:07   Link #91
Syan48306
Forgotten Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
I don't understand that ending, can someone elaborate? It just didn't feel like a conclusion to anything at all, like there are bonus episodes missing. And yes, I know the manga is still on-going with plenty of chapters left, but just... it feels like it's gonna continue but it isn't so it doesn't even feel like an open ending to me because it doesn't feel like an end to begin with. It's weird. I really wanted them to elaborate on, you know, Subject 001, and obviously, what actually happens after that year ends. Or what is left to happen for the rest of the year, for that matter. So many things that I feel that I wanna know about.
The manga is around chapter 134. The show pretty much left off around chapter 111 or 112 from what I can gather, especially with the that ending reveal in episode 13. I don't know if the story has another 100 episodes but I really do hope they'll do a second 13 episode season. If not, i'm almost positive they'll do a OVA to tie up the loose knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by watisit View Post
Spoiler:
episode 13
Spoiler:
Syan48306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 21:19   Link #92
Freeter
beyond

Watching the last episode on July 4th is such a splendid coincidence

Overall, it was an enjoyable ride, although it suffered in the middle from some forced tension between Kariu and Tamarai (the incident could have been staged better, Kariu would have shown concern for her exhausted friend despite her injury). And the 'Kaizaki sucks at taking exams' joke ran its course, they should have known when to quit.

While Japan may cherish the high school life, for me personally I'd prefer to relive university life. It was way more fun, and you wouldn't have to hide any drinking/smoking habits
Old 2016-07-04, 21:39   Link #93
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

^
I don't know about you but I attended at least 20 or more classes on highschool while still semi drunk or horribly hungover and I never got into any sort of trouble for that, also no one ever tried to lecture me about my chain smoking, it was actually when I got to the first year of college that someone finally lectured me about my smoking habits (I no longer smoke, btw, quitted 2 years ago)
Old 2016-07-04, 22:15   Link #94
Elestia

Quote:
You prob won't get another job with that attitude, even in America. There is no way to verify that what you said happened and the person who the headhunter is going to talk to is the same person who fired you.

It was best for him to hang in for 6 months and then leave gracefully with a nice recommendation from his previous job. Give a good excuse like "I want to be closer to my family, live in a better neighborhood, wanting to move to a different region." He could have also transferred to another area within the company to get away from those guys.

I'm pretty sure he had a problem with them else he wouldn't have protested against it in the first place.

Ultimately, Arata was powerless to help someone he deeply cared about in the end.

Quote:
She is an adult. She should be mature enough to know how to handle it. She could ask for a transfer to another dept to get out of the area or transfer to a less toxic company. Instead, she thought that all was going to be roses that she was a top manager in a competitive area, female, prob making more money than her colleagues and nobody was going to sabotage her. That's "high school thinking" at it's finest. She prob did not have a really competitive high school or college experience or she would know what to expect. She stuck out and got hammered.

The company did not break any laws.

When people try to get you fired, you either leave or try to get them fired. Since she could not pinpoint who did it , then she needed to leave.
You really got to wonder if the HR inside the company is so inept at their job that it would lead to a worker committing suicide right inside the office. It's not surprising the word, Karoshi, comes to mind when you read something like this, but it does highlight the darker side of Japanese corporate culture.

But it really makes you turn your head in disgust when you hear the excuse that it's not illegal, therefore we did nothing wrong kind of mentality.
Old 2016-07-04, 22:53   Link #95
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Seriously....... that won't work. You get counseling and keep working. Jobs aren't a dime a dozen. Besides, the headhunter would not want to believe that the colleagues drove her to suicide for the reasons I stated in the previous post. She basically had a coping skill issue which got compromised with the extreme work stress. She felt trapped and had no way out. She needed counseling so that she could see her options and act on them. Unfortunately, I bet her job did not have EAP services as part of their benefits.

https://www.opm.gov/faqs/QA.aspx?fid...8-34039a1e1174

The MC blamed the job 100% for the problem when his sempai also had responsibility for her actions.

When you're in school, it's "bullying bad". When you're in a workplace, it's "report them if possible or transfer to a better work area".
You do realize the company was referred to as 'Black Company(whatever that is supposed to be)' several times by different chractets though though, right?

And what reason would a new company have to not believe the former employee? They themselves would know that no company in the world would admit that one of their workers comitted suicide inside the offices.
He is in fact more believable on this point than the company itself.

You also seem to underestimate to sit in a room where someone you knew died in.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 23:13   Link #96
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Just caught up to ep.9 and I got to say it, someone, anyone please punch that Inukai jackass, really, I didn't like him back when this arc was happening in the webcomic and I like him even less in his animated form, from way back when he grabs Arata by the ear, to how rude he is, all the way to dragging Kariu all the way to the gym by her wrist... Really, if Ohga or Arata werr a little more normal that guy would have gotten his ass kicked a long time ago...
Old 2016-07-05, 02:16   Link #97
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Just caught up to ep.9 and I got to say it, someone, anyone please punch that Inukai jackass, really, I didn't like him back when this arc was happening in the webcomic and I like him even less in his animated form, from way back when he grabs Arata by the ear, to how rude he is, all the way to dragging Kariu all the way to the gym by her wrist... Really, if Ohga or Arata werr a little more normal that guy would have gotten his ass kicked a long time ago...
I'm pretty sure Ohga and Arata would have had their asses handed to them though
Old 2016-07-06, 01:57   Link #98
Peanutbutter

Finished it. Season 2 pls. Learnt a few new thoughts about surviving in life after watching this.

Anyway, was this already broadcasted on Japanese TV? Otherwise, why is this out as a full series in the first place?

Time to start reading the manga.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 02:58   Link #99
Arya

Ah, so, given the peculiar circumstances of the releases basically I shouldn't get into the thread until I've finished the series, right?
Maybe it would be nice to add some warning of sort into the title thread. I bumped into a couple of spoiler already. Nothing I wasn't expecting, also I still don't remember any name to identify anyone.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 14:13   Link #100
Wandering Soul

Finished with series. It was fun ride, though as I predicted the Kaizaki can't pass exams gag did get tiresome later on.

Now it's time to delve into the manga.