Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-03, 23:07   Link #81
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
I feel like the characters are made to act stupid due to 'plot reasons' and so the story can move onto the action with the terrorists.
It is a bit of a stretch. Like I wrote before, it is disappointing that nobody on either side seems to be even thinking about the uniform issue.

I'm just putting out there what I think the basic idea behind this narrative arc is. Some things are still a real stretch, but I think it picks at least some sense out of this arc's narrative.

Quote:
I'm guessing nobody wants to watch half an episode of people debating the various finer details of the discrimination issue, especially since it doesn't look like Mahouka is the kind of show that would spend the next couple of episodes detailing how the weeds slowly overturned the discriminatory systems that are in place. I'm predicting after they wrap up the terrorists next episode or 2 they're going to completely drop the discrimination storyline.
I think it'll probably be put on the backburner for awhile (after the current arc concludes), but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back up again at some point. I hope it does get some follow-up later on, but we'll have to wait and see.
Old 2014-05-03, 23:27   Link #82
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i personally like Miyuki's slight yandere tendencies when Tatsuya talks with a girl.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2014-05-03, 23:38   Link #83
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
For some reason, Miyuki's reaction to Tatsuya at the 3:02 mark reminds me of Eru Chitanda from Hyouka! Way to go Satomi Satou for giving those "Kirinanimasu!" vibes.
Old 2014-05-04, 00:22   Link #84
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
I feel like the characters are made to act stupid due to 'plot reasons' and so the story can move onto the action with the terrorists.
I get the impression that the terrorists decided to go through with their attack regardless of the outcome of the debate. Basically they spent more time to prepare for the attack than the debate.
Old 2014-05-04, 00:31   Link #85
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRules View Post
I doubt it. The difference in uniform is too noticeable and it obviously marks class discrimination. It feels unnatural for this to have continued for many years without any change at all.

Currently, I have a theory that there may be more about the bloom/weed conflict later in the series. Right now, I'm believing that someone at governmental level had purposefully manipulated the whole conflict behind the scene with their objectives being creating divisions among mages and weakening magic community. I believe they were using Divide and Conquer principle to control magicians.

Of cause I could be totally wrong but with the way the story(both B/W conflict and the world-building) is right now it might not be completely improbable.

But if that was true it's definitely going disturbingly delicious.
My sadistic side is completely ready for this.
Basicly we have been told 2 things already. The bloom/weed thingis explicitly against the school rules, but really there is only so much you can do to punish them, they are too valuable a resource to just throw out of school for just being a jerk to other students.

Second the people that are blowing it all out of proportion are doing so due to the influence of the terrorist. As has been pointed out all the "discrimination" amounts to is course 2 students aren't allowed on the Student Council and a traditional self imposed clicky caste system that again is against the schools policy.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2014-05-04, 00:47   Link #86
Kikimaru

I'm a bit disappointed that they cut out Erika scene, but it's still a good episode for me.
Old 2014-05-04, 01:52   Link #87
kukuru

Well the problem with discrimination is that the topic of the "houses" are glosses over and isn't too well explain in the anime, but anyway

Simply put course 2 students are course 2 students both in skills and in status.

It's no different then real life as we know very well what privileged people get in schools and universities as oppose to normal students.

Tasuya makes a very good point that echos real word. You are getting grade A facilities, a highly sought after diploma, and pretty much a rose garden of learning environment, and you're unhappy because some people have AP-classes. STFU whiners.

I think the anime would have done a better job if the showed more of how elitist these magician schools really are. Of course they have to talk about the families more, but they should have done that like the novel did to data dump show the environment of the school.

Things really make a lot more sense once you know about houses and families.
Old 2014-05-04, 02:00   Link #88
wontaek

Did they really separate Course 1 and 2 by pure magic power potential? Are we sure it wasn't by some IQ or Logical Reasoning? Most of the arguments we were making in general discussion thread ( http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=121906 ) were not mentioned. How stupid are these students to not emphasize the easiest points of attack?
Old 2014-05-04, 02:04   Link #89
Xacual

They're separated based on the entrance exam practical scores pretty much, though written test does have some influence.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2014-05-04, 02:12   Link #90
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
They're separated based on the entrance exam practical scores pretty much, though written test does have some influence.
Probably a lot, just that they have a lot of people to choose from. I doubt this is a public school, that can take a anyone and anyone. Just getting in is a really hard thing.

Obviously a 80/90 averages to an 85 is always going to beat 90/50 that averages out to a 70, and then when you take a quota of course 1 and course 2, it's pretty obvious.
Old 2014-05-04, 02:36   Link #91
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuru View Post
Probably a lot, just that they have a lot of people to choose from. I doubt this is a public school, that can take a anyone and anyone. Just getting in is a really hard thing.

Obviously a 80/90 averages to an 85 is always going to beat 90/50 that averages out to a 70, and then when you take a quota of course 1 and course 2, it's pretty obvious.
Are we sure this is sufficient to explain how lame the arguments Course 2 students made? After all, compared to the rest of the high school kids, even the Course 2 students were supposed to be way above them, yet they couldn't make a simple argument that were so obvious to us muggles.
Old 2014-05-04, 02:39   Link #92
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Are we sure this is sufficient to explain how lame the arguments Course 2 students made? After all, compared to the rest of the high school kids, even the Course 2 students were supposed to be way above them, yet they couldn't make a simple argument that were so obvious to us muggles.
We're sure for other reasons that is deemed spoiler-ish reasons. Thus can't be said in this thread.
Old 2014-05-04, 02:43   Link #93
MonkeyDude

Have to say that the anime must be such a letdown for people who haven't read the LN/Manga. Hell I've read both and I still think the anime has been a huge letdown thus far. I mean seriously...what's the purpose of the girl always hanging around Tatsuya? Seems like she's only there to look pretty and get jealous. Then big boobs got an inordinate amount of screen time because...BOOBS. Where did the other guy go? Did we even see the redhead this episode? The student council president is so [stiff] given that she's calling an almost stranger with the -kun suffix.

I can understand forgoing the info dumps to improve pacing, but not to the detriment of character development. Well hopefully it will improve in the next story arc as they speed their way through random-bad-guy arc. Maybe the girl that's always around Tatsuya will actually do something besides say onii-sama and go all yandere.
Old 2014-05-04, 02:56   Link #94
The Green One

*sigh* A scene by scene, line by line transition from novel to anime isn't possible due to time constraints. That should be obvious. The sooner people stop letting that poison their experience the happier they'll be.
Old 2014-05-04, 03:01   Link #95
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
*sigh* A scene by scene, line by line transition from novel to anime isn't possible due to time constraints. That should be obvious. The sooner people stop letting that poison their experience the happier they'll be.
Though it is true that they choose some very bad aspects to condense it based on the first arc.
Old 2014-05-04, 03:01   Link #96
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Usually I would think at least 4 episodes is standard for an adaption of a LN volume. They've allotted basically 6 episodes for two volumes, which is why there is reason to complain. I don't think it's far fetched to say that in the anime, not many characters are very fleshed out or developed at all. That is because a lot of scenes, including in this episode are condensed or rushed, or just omitted altogether. I still think the adaption has done a pretty good job given the circumstances, but there's reason to believe it could be even better. I still enjoy it, but I am a LN reader and don't know how this impacts anime viewer experiences.

Hopefully future volumes are at least given 4 episodes to work with instead of just 3.
Old 2014-05-04, 03:02   Link #97
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Yes, I'd gladly trade some screentime of people swooing over Tatsuya's incredibly awesome and stunning abilities for Miyuki character development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Nobody except you is even talking about line-by-line transition. What people want are developed characters and right now Miyuki is nothing more than a massive brocon with yandere tendencies.

And yes, the uniforms /are/ a big deal even if people still believe that it's only a cosmetic change. If the uniforms are the same, it will completely shut down random bullying in areas where both courses mix together [cafeteria, way to school, etc]. There is absolutely zero downside to this and only makes the situation better.
Old 2014-05-04, 03:12   Link #98
larethian

Skimmed through the thread. Am surprised that no one mentioned about the episode highlighting Hattori and Mari's prowess, which is actually a very big deal imo (hey, where did the Mari love go? ). Volume 1 actually mentioned something about the power levels in First High. But since it might be touched on the next arc and it's not really critical to mention it now, I'll let it pass......
Old 2014-05-04, 03:22   Link #99
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post

And yes, the uniforms /are/ a big deal even if people still believe that it's only a cosmetic change. If the uniforms are the same, it will completely shut down random bullying in areas where both courses mix together [cafeteria, way to school, etc]. There is absolutely zero downside to this and only makes the situation better.
Which is why I am just shocked that this part was totally ignored when it came to Course 2 students' grievance.
Old 2014-05-04, 03:42   Link #100
Gundamx

late to party (just watched last episode)

I lough very hard at Mizuki/Tatsuya scene
and like the BGM from that scene too
Closed Thread