AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 6 7.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 20.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 27.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 27.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 7.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-11-01, 02:23   Link #81
JaLooNz
Longtime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Kagami Railgun? USO DAAA!
Your idea is really very cool...
JaLooNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 03:51   Link #82
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus17 View Post
Well you can find exactly the same in many other anime series.

What is REALLY rare is the opposite thing - grown men knocking down small children.

But yes, they don't use superpowers too. Maybe shockers sometimes.
btw, about that tasered Uiharu pic,
one of her flowers fell off, it kinda reminds me that her flowers on her head is like an HP gauge from a video game, the more damage sustained, the more flowers fell off from her head
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 04:21   Link #83
Primary Consult

9/10, Kuroko's character finally done justice (they really should have swapped this with ep 2).

As far as "the real police", unless I'm missing something there is no such thing in Index-world. There's Judgement (police-equiv) and Anti-Skill (SWAT-equiv). It makes sense that students would be employed because only students have abilities, the folk older than college-age are generally researchers / instructors with no powers, since they never took the treatment.

As far as nitpicking Kuroko's tactical decisions, as a 10 year old would you have done any better? Not every anime character is a perfect strategist that can come up with flawless attack plans at the drop of a hat...
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 06:12   Link #84
xKeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
btw, about that tasered Uiharu pic,
one of her flowers fell off, it kinda reminds me that her flowers on her head is like an HP gauge from a video game, the more damage sustained, the more flowers fell off from her head
Wow,you made me smile.When I looked at the picture,I can't resist laughing
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 07:01   Link #85
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I finally know why I like this episode so much. I don't like plot holes, or character holes in this case. We know that Kuroko and Uiharu know each other from the first episode, but that relationship was never explored. I was so absorbed in the Mikoto/Kuroko interactions that I totally forgot about the others.
Not knowing the exact details of how two characters met is a plot/character hole? That would cover a staggeringly large number of cases in all kinds of TV shows and movies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Um, if you can think that my opinion is silly, then I can think others' opinions are silly. They are welcomed to have opinions, and I am welcomed to believe some are silly.
Well I'll leave it at that since you sort of got my point this time. I'll just say that it's a bit on the rude side to call people silly just because their opinion differs from your own. For example, I don't think the people who enjoyed Railgun episode 3 are silly; I just don't agree with them.

About this whole Kuroko/tactical-less thing, I'd have to say we're getting a tad too involved in picking that scene apart. It's fictionated television entertainment production with superhuman powers and Esper abilities; sure we expect them to (and they should) execute intelligent human behavior and such since they portray human beings, but aren't we delving a little deep here?
Old 2009-11-01, 07:03   Link #86
TCman

Watch it yesterday. It was a fairly good episode, but personally I think the anime makes Kuroko into a more "flawed" character than the one in the manga, since Kuroko is repeating the same mistake twice, especially when she is now a qualified "Judgement" member; she hasn't learned her lesson from the past.
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 08:16   Link #87
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCman View Post
Watch it yesterday. It was a fairly good episode, but personally I think the anime makes Kuroko into a more "flawed" character than the one in the manga, since Kuroko is repeating the same mistake twice, especially when she is now a qualified "Judgement" member; she hasn't learned her lesson from the past.
I just notch it as irony that she became what she disliked about Tokiwadai school girls.

Mikoto being the exact opposite.

It does make me wonder what sort of cardboard speech Touma would spew in front Kuroko given her attitude.

What if it was a certain spike hair financially poor level 0 student that saved her instead of Mikoto?

Oh the other hand thinking about it , it is best Kuroko is not among Touma's harem. The closest those two have ever been was when they were almost caught by the dorm supervisor. Broken necks or perhaps worse would have happened.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 08:23   Link #88
Joe_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
About this whole Kuroko/tactical-less thing, I'd have to say we're getting a tad too involved in picking that scene apart. It's fictionated television entertainment production with superhuman powers and Esper abilities; sure we expect them to (and they should) execute intelligent human behavior and such since they portray human beings, but aren't we delving a little deep here?
Yeah that's right. As was mentioned before a couple of times this is the director's choice how to develop a situation and from it a character. It's really pointless to ask yourself why someone didn't do something when it was more logical. Well exept if it's a whole movie filled with such things where you just start laughing like crazy at one point
And I think (if anoyne saw it) I gave a good explanation as to why Kuroko didn't teleport the bad guy out of there even if she wanted to.
Joe_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 10:15   Link #89
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Aw man, what was with all the child abuse?

Those bastards deserve to die.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 11:13   Link #90
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Not knowing the exact details of how two characters met is a plot/character hole? That would cover a staggeringly large number of cases in all kinds of TV shows and movies....
Well, no need for exact details. We just had no details at all before this episode. Lack of information can be used for suspense, but sometimes they just raise questions that acts as incorrect punctuations in an essay.

For example:

Kyou obviously knows Tomoya and Youhei in Clannad before because they are on first name terms. However, all throughout Clannad and After Story I wanted to know more about it, and not until episode 23 or 23 of After Story did they reveal the past. For me, this is an unnecessarily long wait.

In contrast, episode 6 of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha is an excellent example of delaying information to bring it back later at a more suitable time. We certainly didn't need to know how Nanoha, Suzuka, and Alisa met until episode 6, where it made its impact by setting the tone for the rest of the show and clarifying Nanoha's decision on how she must deal with Fate.

Oh, and I'm not disagreeing with you or anything. I think you brought up a good point that I wanted to go off-topic with.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 13:50   Link #91
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Ok as for the tactics, I feel they matched her brash personality, if she instantly came up with tactics that vwould put Gen. MacArthur to shame, THAT'S a serious storyline flaw imo.

As regards not knowing how two recognize each other, it did bother me for the past couple episodes,so its nice to tie that up, even tho I don't think it's plothole per se.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 14:42   Link #92
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
It's funny how when someone twists your words, the others follow. I specified it was a character hole, not a plot hole. So far, there is no central plot.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 14:47   Link #93
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
In Japan, the post offices are banks too.
Oh I stand corrected, thank you for the insight.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 18:33   Link #94
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
And why didn't Kuroko just teleport the criminal outside?
A] because how is she going to beat him up if she does that.
and B] He may be over her mass limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
My god I hate Uiharu. She's so annoying. Anyone else agree?
No. It is a little disappointing that we got the new framing story rather than the training montage or Kuroko apologizing or Saten talking Uiharu out of her crepe. Or the implication that Saten suggested Uiharu try to join judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
She even bluffed him by threatening to teleport his head off, because I believe it has been mentioned she is incapable of doing that before.
The manga implies that was a bluff but we can't see what she has in her other hand.

The being unable to teleport just bits of people is Touma's theory as to why she can't teleport him out of the dorm IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
It's more of a hall monitor kind of role than a SWAT team role.
Which is why Kuroko has to keep writing apologies. She regularly pushes being in Judgement to mean rather more than it usually does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Consult View Post
As far as "the real police", unless I'm missing something there is no such thing in Index-world. There's Judgement (police-equiv) and Anti-Skill (SWAT-equiv)
There are the Police robots [Police] and the Hound Dogs [SWAT/Special Forces] as well. Judgement are in theory more like prefects and Anti-skills are unpaid volunteers [Special Constables].
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 19:47   Link #95
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

oh, and this episode didn't have enough Saten. Though she did have her moment in the office. the lack of reaction from Uharu made me laugh though.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 20:25   Link #96
Joe_fh

And because it's fun I'll say why Kuroko didn't teleport the bad guy outside again~

It's because she couldn't. She has to touch a person to teleport him. She couldn't get up and reach his hand or face and he was wearing throusers so she could only teleprot those. Yes that would have put him in a situation but not a dangerous one . The next best thing is to make sure the hostages are safe - in this case Uiharu was the one in the most dangerous situation and Kuroko could teleport her out since she was wearing a skirt and her legs could be touched directly.
So there you have it
Old 2009-11-01, 20:27   Link #97
velvet nightmare

honestly why would the bank install an audible alarm for a bank robbery. does that not just irritate the robbers even more???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
he was wearing throusers so she could only teleprot those.
using that logic she would have just teleported uiharu and not her clothes
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 20:54   Link #98
Joe_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
honestly why would the bank install an audible alarm for a bank robbery. does that not just irritate the robbers even more???
Cause it's an anime probably But yes that security sitem was really flawed. They pracically make the situation a real hostage situation and not just a robbery where the criminals fill excape once they have th money.

Quote:
using that logic she would have just teleported uiharu and not her clothes
Well yeah probably but we never see that happen. All we know is that she can teleport the things she touches. So from there comes this explanation. But you do have a point
See everything has a logicall explanation...sort of
Old 2009-11-01, 21:35   Link #99
velvet nightmare

as others have stated before, the most likely reason she didnt teleport the guy was because of the mass restriction on her ability and she's still in elementary school so she might not even be level 3

in any case she could have also teleported herself to the robber, touched the gun and teleported that outside, problem solved
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 22:14   Link #100
Joe_fh

Quote:
as others have stated before, the most likely reason she didnt teleport the guy was because of the mass restriction on her ability and she's still in elementary school so she might not even be level 3

in any case she could have also teleported herself to the robber, touched the gun and teleported that outside, problem solved
Well she couldn't teleport hereself at that time so that wouldn't work. Since she could teleport uharu safely outside I alsodoubt she was under level 3. And if she can teleport Uiharu she can probably do the same with anyone.
Every time we see her use her ability you could notice she touches the object she needs to teleport. She doesn't need to grab it or something just touch it. This is why I think that the whole "teleporting the bad guy out" situation could be explained in the most natural way from what we know about Kuroko's ability.

Anyways I already said it was up to the author/director to decide how to develop a scene and we shouldn't think of the other possibilities to resolve it since they weren't used and that would be just guessing.