Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-10, 20:59   Link #81
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomang5
THERE IS NO POINT IN ARGUING THIS!

Look, as much as we all love the subbed versions, if this is picked up, it is picked up! Arguing about it will NOT change anyone's mind. It will also not change whether or not it is properly made. All we can do is wait, hope, and if it is good, give it all the support we can.

That being said, I am a bit nervous about dubbing. Editing will be fine, Adult Swim is really lenient, but it's difficult to translate the voices properly between people of different languages and cultures. In actuality, however, there are more recent examples of well (or at least decent) dubs. There are exceptions, but most newer anime on AS and other networks have been pretty good.

So, lets quit this dumbassed bickering and just accept it. Hell, be excited! They may even make some parts of the show a little better, because the joke wont require a paragraph explanation at the top of the screen.
Word up.

*filler text*
Old 2006-03-11, 06:34   Link #82
SeekAndDestroy

I like the paragraph explanation (not that i'm arguing any of your post, I totally agree)... what a lot of people don't realize at first is how much you can learn about other cultures from watching (and understanding of course) their t.v. shows. Anime's got a lot of that, the punchlines, the style of comedy, the behaviors of kids and adults.... I can't remember how many times I've watched a show on t.v. just to think of how that would've worked out in an anime.....that was a little off topic, but to bring it back, I'm kind of glad bleach is getting licensed, heck I hope more foreign shows get licensed for the U.S. 'cause seriously a little outside culture wouldn't hurt at all.
Old 2006-03-12, 01:30   Link #83
CapnShiner

Ridiculous

OK, so I just read this entire thread and it just makes me shake my head. First of all, it is a sad day for otaku when any series gets licensed. For everyone else, though, it is a good thing. There are people out there who know nothing of anime or who only know crap like the English dubbed versions of DBZ, Pokemon, or Yu-Gi-Oh. For those people, even a poorly dubbed and/or edited version of a new series is great. They don't know any better and it just might get them hooked on anime for life. It's all about expanding the audience. For the publishers and distributors of anime, this is a business. The more people they can get to watch it, the more DVDs they can sell and the better the ratings they will get. This means they make more money. This is good for us fans because if the U.S. publishers have more money they can spend more on aquiring new licenses or on production value. I will be just as sad as anyone else when Lunar stops releasing their Bleach fansubs, but I understand it's all part of the anime lifecycle. I will continue to download and watch whatever fansubs I can get when Lunar stops, but I will also buy the DVDs if they don't mess it up too bad.

All of you who are complaining about bad editing and dubbing need to shut up and do a little research on the topic first. Not all series get ruined like One Piece. That is the worst editing and the worst dubbing I have ever encountered, but it is not the standard. Naruto is not as bad as some of you think and it's not as good as others of you think. I haven't seen too much of Naruto, on Toonami or fansubs. I have all the fansubs and I continue to get the new ones as they come out, but I have not watched them all yet because there is only so much time in a day and I am busy with other series right now. From what I have seen, the editing is not bad at all and the dubbing could be better but isn't too bad either. I understand Naruto's voice(dubbed) is extremely annoying, but it's supposed to be annoying. That's part of his character. They edited out the nosebleeds, but they left in the blood during fight scenes and they left in Sexy no Jutsu. It makes no sense to me why they removed the nosebleeds, but whatever. The worst thing, IMO, is that they did not use the original opening and ending credits. I have seen every single episode of InuYasha in fansubs and I have seen every episode so far on Adult Swim. It is one of my favorite series. I can say from experience that it did not get edited at all. I think the dubbing is very good as well, but that's just my opinion. The blood, the language, the partial nudity, and the sexual content are all the same on Adult Swim as in the original, except for taking out the word shit. I can say the same about Fullmetal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo. I have seen all the fansubs and all of the episodes they aired so far on Adult Swim. Samurai Champloo is amazingly intact. They didn't even change swear words, they just bleeped it.

To summarize, it is official that Bleach is licensed by Viz, even though Viz hasn't blatantly announced it yet. It is not official, however, that it will air on Adult Swim. It is most likely going to air on Adult Swim because Viz is trying to reach on older audience, but nothing is set in stone yet. Either way, Viz will probably handle Bleach the same way it handled InuYasha. It will not be edited, except for language, and it will most likely air on Adult Swim. The hard part will be the time between Lunar dropping the series and Adult Swim airing it.......Oh, and the money I will inevitably give to Viz for the box sets. Damn expensive habit.
Old 2006-03-12, 18:08   Link #84
fate1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnShiner
The hard part will be the time between Lunar dropping the series and Adult Swim airing it.....
You'd likely have at least 8 months to wait. Cartoon Network did their "Upfront" to announce their schedule and new shows for 2006 back on March 3rd and no mention was made of Bleach. There will be another mini announcement in the fall for anything that gets launched post christmas ala a midseason replacement but this was the big one for this year's new product. Because upfronts are where networks put on a show to get the media machine rolling and sell the advertisers on the shows their ads are going to run in so they can, most importantly, pay for the show, the fact that Bleach wasn't launched there makes it highly unlikely that it's airing on the channel this year.

Read into that what you will.
Old 2006-03-12, 18:15   Link #85
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by fate1000
You'd likely have at least 8 months to wait. Cartoon Network did their "Upfront" to announce their schedule and new shows for 2006 back on March 3rd and no mention was made of Bleach.
Cartoon Network and Adult Swim have different upfronts now being separate networks. (You can find that info inside the Talkback thread (in the Toonami subforum) for the CN upfront.) The theory that is being thrown around is that it will be added in the fall when a lot of their current shows will be reaching the ends of their runs. (Also with Adult swim announcing that they are going to be adding 1 hour of programming on weekdays.)
Old 2006-03-12, 18:24   Link #86
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Cartoon Network and Adult Swim have different upfronts now being separate networks. (You can find that info inside the Talkback thread (in the Toonami subforum) for the CN upfront.) The theory that is being thrown around is that it will be added in the fall when a lot of their current shows will be reaching the ends of their runs. (Also with Adult swim announcing that they are going to be adding 1 hour of programming on weekdays.)
How can they be on different "networks" and the same channel?(they are in my area, at least) I thought network was synonymous to channel...
Old 2006-03-12, 18:24   Link #87
CapnShiner

Well, that's a good point. That means it will not be airing on Adult Swim any time soon. I still think that it will at some point. They might be working out the details still and they can't make an announcement until everything is finalized. If Bleach doesn't air on Adult Swim, it will most likely get hacked to pieces and put on Toonami. I don't know of a Viz series being aired on any network besides Cartoon Network in the U.S. I think if it doesn't air on Cartoon Network it will not air at all in the U.S. Just keep in mind that a show like Bleach will require a lot of work and time to develope for the U.S. market. As it was said before, all we can do is wait and hope.
Old 2006-03-12, 18:29   Link #88
CapnShiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
How can they be on different "networks" and the same channel?(they are in my area, at least) I thought network was synonymous to channel...
Adult Swim explained how this works in a sort of press release when they first announced it. Adult Swim is still just a programming block on Cartoon Network, but for ratings purposes it was split into its own network. I guess you can think of it as a virtual network. It just allows Adult Swim to get credit for their own ratings instead of being lumped together with the rest of Cartoon Network. It's a good thing.
Old 2006-03-12, 18:41   Link #89
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Adult Swim explained how this works in a sort of press release when they first announced it. Adult Swim is still just a programming block on Cartoon Network, but for ratings purposes it was split into its own network. I guess you can think of it as a virtual network. It just allows Adult Swim to get credit for their own ratings instead of being lumped together with the rest of Cartoon Network. It's a good thing.
Oh, okay. Makes sense now
Old 2006-03-12, 19:00   Link #90
defrule

The US cartoon network must be different to the one in the UK. I don't even remember seeing naruto on air. I do remember seeing pkmon, bayblade and stuff like that. Toonami doesn't have it either, it has all these superhero stuff and also dragon ball series etc.

I don't actually mind if bleach is licensed but, even then the availability of it on Dvd will not benefit me and I will probably have to get an import from the US.
Old 2006-03-12, 19:31   Link #91
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrule
The US cartoon network must be different to the one in the UK. I don't even remember seeing naruto on air. I do remember seeing pkmon, bayblade and stuff like that. Toonami doesn't have it either, it has all these superhero stuff and also dragon ball series etc.

I don't actually mind if bleach is licensed but, even then the availability of it on Dvd will not benefit me and I will probably have to get an import from the US.
well... under the logic that spawned fansubbing, if it's not licenced in your country, it's fair game.
Old 2006-03-12, 19:45   Link #92
defrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
well... under the logic that spawned fansubbing, if it's not licenced in your country, it's fair game.
Licencing is country tied?
Old 2006-03-12, 19:53   Link #93
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrule
Licencing is country tied?
No, it is language tied*. Bleach IS licensed in Europe however. This is definite. As to which language its going to be released in, that is still a mystery.

*In reality, it depends on what the contract says, but for all intents and purposes, most websites consider it language tied. It is really either a) worldwide, b) language c) video region, or d) country.

Quote:
I don't know of a Viz series being aired on any network besides Cartoon Network in the U.S. I think if it doesn't air on Cartoon Network it will not air at all in the U.S. Just keep in mind that a show like Bleach will require a lot of work and time to develope for the U.S. market. As it was said before, all we can do is wait and hope.
Viz Media owns Megaman: NT warrior which airs on KidsWB. (It was originally a Shopro title.)
Old 2006-03-12, 21:33   Link #94
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Nick at Nite and Nickelodeon are separate networks that share a channel.
Old 2006-03-12, 21:36   Link #95
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

As long as 4kids didn't liscense won't get any complaints from me.
Old 2006-03-13, 21:44   Link #96
Shadowscar
Reviewer of all anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasuraiHell
well, you want my reason, verywell then.

first off where i live anime is very, and i mean very scarce, theh only thing realted to anime is..well the yu-go-oh craze (ew), now thats over theres nothing here.,
as for t.v time,
Our satellite package was very basic so i dont get adult-swim or cartoon--network,
the next station that suplies that is i think YTV, they have some good anime but not ones i've already seen, i doubt they'll have bleach any time sooon..

fansubs are my only means of getting anime that i am really interested in, .
so i guess i could hold out for a few more years

so yup, a licened bleach for me is a downer, so i'll just have to search for some more anime thats arent or about to licenced any time sooon like ecchi-anime...lol,

..first Blood+, and now Bleach...
my worlds up side down.
Do not fear YTV will be getting, Plus to YTV is we get it during prime time none of this midnight and after stuff :P

Adult swim tends to be 20-25 episodes ahead of YTV though... so that means half a year afterwards

as for anime being very sarcase your very wrong

we have full metal alchemist, Naruto, Gundam Seed, inuyasha, Zatch ball, One Piece, .Hack/ /Sign

These play friday at 6:00 till 11:00 on YTV

If your affraid that it will be a edited version, canadains have a much easy going rating system which allows things such as Death, Violence, blood all to be played during primetime hours :P only thing that is not allowed pretty much is nudity of the genitals

Last edited by Shadowscar; 2006-03-13 at 21:56.
Old 2006-03-13, 21:54   Link #97
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowscar
Hack/Sign
It's .Hack//Sign, FYI.
Old 2006-03-13, 22:22   Link #98
Shadowscar
Reviewer of all anime

I guess you have a point...

but as for the person wondering if its done by country, thats a really really shady area as it changes with each country. some might just require the company who owns the rights to have base in their country while others might require the lisence to be registered with that country. so many different laws just lead to so many different possibilities...

but ya bleach being lisenced could be a good or bad thing... depends if i still get my weekly bleach fix or not! lol
Old 2006-03-13, 22:53   Link #99
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Glad to see the old, tired sub/dub "why can't they just leave it alone!" arguments are still alive and well here on the forums

But it's nice to see all the counter arguments that actually had some thought put into them. The fanbase may yet cease to be anime's greatest enemy.

Guess it's time to wait and see who the true fans are, and who are only fans of free stuff...
Old 2006-03-13, 23:12   Link #100
Shadowscar
Reviewer of all anime

i personally dont see why ppl complain all that much
its not going to change the fact that the current version kick ass and prob somebody will still be out there takin care of our needs

and for those people who dont have the time to download it will share the love of bleach... all that really matters to me is will there voices annoy me or not? and how well they make the translations so lets hope they do there best and make it kick ass in the country's that will be getting it in the near future
Closed Thread