AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-07-02, 19:39   Link #81
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm certainly not going to call it cheap until I see how the story justifies it. I thought it was being set up more for a deep-lying playmaker role like Xavi or a CM like Bastian Schweinsteiger, but let's see the argument play out. Modern fullbacks are basically wingbacks on a lot of power clubs, and focus more on attack then defense.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-03, 19:46   Link #82
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

I haven't been in this thread as I've somehow missed this anime during the spring season, only to recently discover it when perusing anichart.

As a sports anime fan, I just had to check it out. Binged watched all 13 episodes so far so here are my thoughts:

Ashito's got a great talent. It's a common one in anime, to be able to have the bird's eye view of everything PLUS the ability to predict everyone's movements. It sounds preposterous but also plausible to some extent, because there are only so many ways players are going to move based on the state of the game at any given moment, so I'll give him that.

In the beginning, I really felt the emotions between Ashito and his mother. It was very endearing and the same way the letter on the train brought him to tears, it did to me.

Ashito knows he's stubborn and short tempered. He's self aware of that aspect of his personality. He's confident and can back it up, when he's with the right teammates, but when things aren't working for him, he's dead weight.

I have a problem with the writing of his character. He's got good instincts and loves soccer but doesn't know the basics? He can pick up on some new skills but fails/struggles miserably on others. When he's with Esperion, there are multiple instances where he's been given or faced tasks/situations to THINK about what he needs to do to improve, yet he's not able to and the anime has his teammates or other characters tell him straight up.

Things I like about the anime: we get A LOT of viewpoints from other characters. Their thoughts help tell the story and I could understand their goals and frustrations. It isn't all about Ashito. To me, the story is much more diversified and well rounded.

The story is not some typical genius player who fastraks his way to pro status. He's got to go through all the various steps and hurdles along the way, and face off against all the senior players. They are in the real world, much more so than other soccer anime have been in the past.

Now, to the present at episode 13. OP animation is wonderful. Ending animation is ok. The blindside was epic. The shock was there and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-09, 08:29   Link #83
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Episode 14
Will there be any hat/crow eating regarding Coach Date for those who were hating on him in the earlier episodes? Ashito swallowed his pride to bow to Akutsu. Acknowledging that the best person to learn defending from is the best defender in the Esperion Youth Team, Akutsu.

Ashito, it's a great view of the whole field from the fullback position, isn't it?
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-09, 09:28   Link #84
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Episode 14
Will there be any hat/crow eating regarding Coach Date for those who were hating on him in the earlier episodes? Ashito swallowed his pride to bow to Akutsu. Acknowledging that the best person to learn defending from is the best defender in the Esperion Youth Team, Akutsu.

Ashito, it's a great view of the whole field from the fullback position, isn't it?
hahaha yeah I'm one of them, he was playing the bad guy by orders of fukuda that right now is looking like the bad guy.

this was a great chapter from hana being best girl, we get to see aoi mama and we know now why akutsu hate ashito so much.

That was the idea but I thought he was going full central defenser but he is in the wing, he can score and go up and down in this position. My bad since english isn't my first language.

Full back = Lateral.

ps. I hope kuribayashi doesn't steal hana from ashito.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-10, 04:03   Link #85
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Man that was a heart wrenching episode. I'm very happy to see Hana give her perspective as a non-soccer player. She did everything right, from knowing where to look, finding him, bringing him back to cook dinner, and to talk it through with him. It brought tears to my eyes when she made the call to Ashito's mother and they had their little mother-son chat.

Ashito knows that to continue playing he has to swallow his pride and ego and learn from his senpais. Not a small price to pay, but he's gotta do it. And when he gets on to the pitch, yes, as a defender, the view is vastly different. His "bird's eye" skills will be put to their full use as a result of this.
Old 2022-07-10, 07:16   Link #86
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Episode 14

Gladly eating my hat on this one. And, retroactively, it makes sense how coach Date managed to go from looking insane to giving good advice from one scene to the next: Fukuda was the insane one.

Honestly, this is still brutal. Ashito is going to make it not thanks to Fukuda but thanks to his insane willpower (and Hana pulling him back up). That adaptation Fukuda came up with is legendary. Legendarily insane I might add. Usually players get adapted to a similar position to their original one: a winger going to a fullback, an attacker dropping to midfielder, etc, etc... This time they're literally moving one player from one side of the pitch to the complete opposite. It's a whole different ball game! I think the only thing that'll make it work is that Ashito is used to carrying the entire team on his back but even then, sounds optimistic.

This episode actually seems to confirm my pet theory that Fukuda had a gap on the team and he found the perfect kid to completely destroy and latter rebuild from the shattered pieces into what he wants. I've seen some real life coaches that take insane decisions in adapting players to full backs but this one might take the cake. I legit laughed when I say Ashito playing as a left back. It fits the meme for my local club (SL Benfica under Jorge Jesus) so much I can't even explain you guys how funny (and sad) that felt.
Old 2022-07-16, 08:16   Link #87
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Easily the most interesting pure soccer anime episode since Giant Killing. And that's coming from someone who absolutely loves Ginga e Kickoff.
Old 2022-07-16, 11:28   Link #88
Blaat

Great episode, I loved seeing Ao struggle as a fish out of water.
Old 2022-07-16, 14:18   Link #89
grecefar

I feel sad for ashito, of course every kid wants to be the one scoring and be the ace foward but this is so much different and more if he wants to be pro, you are in the position you are given and that's it.

playmaker, obvious but I still think he is suited in the midfield like anri said but more in the back.
Old 2022-07-16, 18:23   Link #90
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's not just a matter of every kid wanting to score. That's the only role Ashito has ever played and Fukuda lured him in with no mention of a position change, then dumped him on the back line after he rapidly improved his performance up front. This could be the right move long-term but the way Fukuda handled it was a total dick move.
Old 2022-07-17, 03:59   Link #91
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's not just a matter of every kid wanting to score. That's the only role Ashito has ever played and Fukuda lured him in with no mention of a position change, then dumped him on the back line after he rapidly improved his performance up front. This could be the right move long-term but the way Fukuda handled it was a total dick move.
Yep, Fukuda is totally in my "he's a piece of shit" camp right now. Like you said, even if this was the right move long term, there were better ways he could have gone about it. The way he did it showed absolutely no concern for Ashito and his feelings, or mental wellbeing. He's treating him like a pawn in whatever game he's setting up.
Old 2022-07-17, 08:52   Link #92
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Yep, Fukuda is totally in my "he's a piece of shit" camp right now. Like you said, even if this was the right move long term, there were better ways he could have gone about it. The way he did it showed absolutely no concern for Ashito and his feelings, or mental wellbeing. He's treating him like a pawn in whatever game he's setting up.
Wonder if Hana will come to see things this way as well.

Why, other than her being pretty, is she the subject of the new ED? Does it presage a bigger role for her, or just a strange production decision?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-17, 09:13   Link #93
grecefar

Well, Kuribayashi is looking for her about the diet schedule, maybe word goes out and she starts to get involve in all the team diet plan. How knows.
Old 2022-07-17, 09:46   Link #94
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Wonder if Hana will come to see things this way as well.

Why, other than her being pretty, is she the subject of the new ED? Does it presage a bigger role for her, or just a strange production decision?
Making the girl the subject of the ED is pretty much anime SOP these days.
Old 2022-07-17, 12:52   Link #95
Dextro
He Without a Title

Playmaker! Called it! Like Cloudedmind said I still have Fukuda on my sh*t-list for the method he's using. Pushing the player to breaking point by making him jump off the deep end while waiting for him to swim back up. It's a brutal way to train a player but at least it makes sense.

And yes, Anri clearly has a bias to play through the center (I would call it dated but not so sure that's true still in 2022). Though, given I personally have a bias to prefer playing through the wings, maybe I shouldn't be throwing bricks hum? Glass ceilings and all that
Old 2022-07-17, 17:19   Link #96
Decel

Ohtomo is the most low-profile key character in Aoi's success (aside from the occasional comedic relief) that I've seen in recent memory.
Old 2022-07-23, 12:53   Link #97
grecefar

I knew kuribayashi and hana was going to be a thing and more now with that misunderstanding.
Old 2022-07-23, 14:58   Link #98
Decel

I love this episode's buildup. Nice to see Nakano coming back! Hope they explain Kaneda's thought process. I hope it's more than a simple "he's a heel".

I hope they develop Tachibana's character a bit more, right now he's rather bland. Othomo on the other hand is very skilled at reading the room.

Also, I like how Aoi regularly exhibits glimpses of genius out of nowhere that catches peoples' attention. I don't recall other series implementing it on a regular basis: usually it's just a gimmick at the very start of a series to get the ball rolling.
Old 2022-07-25, 14:58   Link #99
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Wow! This episode was great!

Wannabe manager girl has real ball skills! Super amazed! Good that Ashito came to the conclusion himself and sought her for advice/tips. They are on the same wavelength.

The young pro wants a meal plan just like Ashito has, and the condition...well Hana never got to it. Budding romance/feelings in the making.

Ashito is back to his jovial self and he's slowly being able to analyze himself with the self discovery. Feedback from others about his skill is done well as flashbacks. B Team is in danger and the underperforming striker feels a lot of pressure. Hopefully he can find inspiration from Ashito and lighten up.

Lastly, two very different receptions of meeting old soccer camp tryouts.

Good episode. A great mixture of drama and progress in our MC and in the story overall, while juggling multiple characters' trials and tribulations.
Old 2022-07-26, 09:27   Link #100
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
The young pro wants a meal plan just like Ashito has, and the condition...well Hana never got to it. Budding romance/feelings in the making.
Maybe she just wants good tickets to one of his pro games.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soccer, sports