4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 3.90%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.30%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-10-03, 21:10   Link #81
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

That was fun. I sort of miss Tomino's dialogue, but yeah as said before it is bit hard to constantly keep up with it.

I am surprised how dark the beginning is or rather darker than I expected. The first episode was very positive, especially the cheer girls, so kinda expected a King Gainer
Spoiler for for King Gainer:
. As a result, Bell killing a pilot came to me as of bit of shock and surprise.

I do wonder if there is a disconnection between the characters with actual conflict. Maybe some of them are just so use to peace that they forgot how serious battle can be. I would like to know more about the world if there were any major conflicts after the end of UC era. The way Bell just keep smiling might indicate this or I might be reading into it too much.

Well, again, I am just really happy to have proper Gundam TV show back.
Old 2014-10-03, 21:22   Link #82
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post
Can someone explain wtf happened in this episode? I feel like so many things were either skipped or it just went WOOOP and just went into something else after certain scenes that I can't understand the story... ._.
Usually need to rewatch a Tomino show 2 or 3 times to understand it.
Old 2014-10-03, 21:32   Link #83
Irenesharda

Quote:
Can someone explain wtf happened in this episode? I feel like so many things were either skipped or it just went WOOOP and just went into something else after certain scenes that I can't understand the story... ._.
Hey, I found this site to be beyond helpful when it comes to everything Gundam. I've gone to them for everything mecha since back in the Seed Destiny days. These recaps are extremely helpful in giving you a summary of what went on without giving spoilers to the future.

Here is episode 1 recap: http://www.mahq.net/animation/gundam...sta/recep1.htm

And episode 2:
http://www.mahq.net/animation/gundam...sta/recep2.htm

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 22:16   Link #84
Death Usagi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Hey, I found this site to be beyond helpful when it comes to everything Gundam. I've gone to them for everything mecha since back in the Seed Destiny days. These recaps are extremely helpful in giving you a summary of what went on without giving spoilers to the future.

Here is episode 1 recap: http://www.mahq.net/animation/gundam...sta/recep1.htm

And episode 2:
http://www.mahq.net/animation/gundam...sta/recep2.htm
No, I mean after one scene it just went POP and went into a totally different situation...

Ex. After Bell shoots the pirate MS, the scene just went to him getting yelled at by Aida ._. No Enemy retreats, no suspense, nothing....
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 22:26   Link #85
kuroihikari2

Quote:
No, I mean after one scene it just went POP and went into a totally different situation...

Ex. After Bell shoots the pirate MS, the scene just went to him getting yelled at by Aida ._. No Enemy retreats, no suspense, nothing....
I don't think there were any more pirates (Bellri destroyed both MS that were near them). If there were, I think it's the decision of the writers that the retreat scene was superfluous.
kuroihikari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 22:36   Link #86
Irenesharda

Quote:

Oh, I think the others were either shot down or left, you have to kind of watch the background. Also, of course it goes straight to Aida's reaction after her mentor gets shot, it's just the natural progression of the scene.

However, you had asked what the heck was going on in the episode, if you read the links I gave you they give you a pretty detailed summary of everything that went on in the episodes point for point. It's really helpful, even for me, who's kinda used to this guy's style.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-10-03, 22:55   Link #87
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Does Tomino still have the itch to kill everyone?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 23:11   Link #88
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Does Tomino still have the itch to kill everyone?
Obviously, nobody can answer it except for the man himself. Go ask him on Twitter or something .
Old 2014-10-03, 23:25   Link #89
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Watched the first episode and really... what the hell did I watch?

Honestly, it was a horrible pilot episode, hands down.
Cinematography wise, a lot of scenes are awkwardly connected together. Sure, they want to give that retro feeling to that series, but why not doing something like Unicorn? Really the very first scene is enough to give you an idea how bizarre the presentation was: stoic camera plan, brutal camera transitions etc... even silly DRAMATIC camera shaking at times.

Whereas Gundam franchise is known for being quite HAMy at times, this one takes the cakes during the fights (I can't be the only one facepalming at that "I'M USING MY BEAM SABER" scene, right?), and fights are scrambled into a mixture of cut-in dialogues and awkward transitions altogether. And this is quite stupid because with all the awkward flow, the sense of "urgency" and "intensity" of the battles went down to the drain. Hard.

But the biggest issue the first episode had was the completely asinine and bland background exposition: the storyboard had absolute ZERO consistency in term of story exposure, you barely have the time to learn characters name and that there are space pirates... alright, and?
There is little to nothing to care about, and characters are so washed out I can't even be amused by the gimmick stuff around (cheerleaders JK in space... really Tomino?).
Hell, dialogues are completely nonsensical most of the times, and it almost sounds like Seiyuu have no idea what they are talking about either (I swear Bellri sounds like a psycho, and it is worse with his teehee prpr faces).

Production wise, I'm arguably not impressed at all. Suffice to say, the retro feeling was done right... maybe too perfectly because the animators indulged themselves a lot of times with inbetween being almost inexistent and other blatant cutting corners stuff.
Mixing that with CG doesn't help much, resulting into a very weird visual presentation.
The only thing I believe was noteworthy was the sceneries...

Truly an anachronic series. We are in 2014, not in 80-90'.
Pretty much spot on for everything. About the only thing I liked were the character designs, and that's mostly because it reminds me of Eureka 7.

I mean, there's being fast-paced, and then there's flat out ADHD. This was ADHD on steroids. I'm sorry, but this is not something you can hand-wave away with "Tomino's style".

If there's a gif of that crazy girl that does nothing but yells "G~~~" and replace it with "WTF", you pretty much have what I felt the entire time I was watching these two episodes.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 23:26   Link #90
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

G-reco is not the most well written anime (hell GBF has much better direction), it has a lot of bad parts that should be axed. However it's main attraction is it's very distinctive nature that doesn't follow Anime 101.

It's like a mother's cooking, it's not the best in the world, but you immediately recognize the raw, strong taste of the seasoning that no one else can emulate.

I expect it to be something niche at best, not anime of the year or anything like that. But either way, no fan of Tomino will regret the experience.
Old 2014-10-03, 23:53   Link #91
Nvis

Well, we finally have a girl pilot MC that everyone was asking for.......right?

I'm assuming Luin's the typical-masked guy.
Old 2014-10-04, 00:07   Link #92
Irenesharda

Quote:

I'm assuming Luin's the typical-masked guy.
Well, Aida's a main female character but she's not really the MC, that's really Bellri. And Gundam's had female pilots before, still no actual female MC though.

And yeah, I'm pretty much sure at this point that Luin is going to be our newest Char clone addition.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-10-04, 00:15   Link #93
Nvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Well, Aida's a main female character but she's not really the MC, that's really Bellri. And Gundam's had female pilots before, still no actual female MC though.

And yeah, I'm pretty much sure at this point that Luin is going to be our newest Char clone addition.
She's the main female character to me, doe. The other girls are just for show and probably useless.

I guess Domo's girl in G Gundam was also a pilot.

Aida's pretty, like Aila in Build Fighters. I'm watching this show only because of Aida(puts a claim).
Pink-haired female Gundam Pilot = WinnAR!
Old 2014-10-04, 00:20   Link #94
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I mean, there's being fast-paced, and then there's flat out ADHD. This was ADHD on steroids. I'm sorry, but this is not something you can hand-wave away with "Tomino's style".
Not really hand-waving away, more like informing those uninitiated that this is indeed “Tomino’s style” so that those newcomers will know what to expect in the following episodes of the entire series. Tomino’s style has some problems, nobody will deny that (even Tomino fans), but it is what it is, just like how some directors like Miyazaki, Alfred Hitchcock, Irwin Allen, Scorcese, Spielberg, Cronenberg, Tarantino, Emmerich, Bay, Oliver Stone, Zack Snyder, Watchowsky Brothers, Chris Nolan, etc have their own style of directing (for better or worse).

Quote:
Eh, Bellry is still the MC and he's the one piloting the main Gundam. Aida is more like the Athrun to Bellry's Kira in this show. She might be the main female character, but obviously not the main character, unless Tomino pulls a Gurren Lagann.
Old 2014-10-04, 00:22   Link #95
Nvis

^It's a female, that's all that matters.

OP/ED is decent I think. Kinda quirky.

Why didn't Aida just kick Bellri off the G-Self when she had the chance?
Old 2014-10-04, 00:38   Link #96
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

*Hasn't seen episode 2 yet*

"The world is not square!"

Ah Tomino dialogue, still as strange as always

The same gripes with the art is still there to an extent (that low-quality zoom-in is still there), but somehow the full version looks much cleaner, even if the retro style is still there.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 00:45   Link #97
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
^It's a female, that's all that matters.
If you say that, then the role of the first “girl pilot MC” (by your definition) has long been taken by Christina MacKenzie of Gundam 0080 . She even piloted the main Gundam, not secondary Gundam.

Quote:
Why didn't Aida just kick Bellri off the G-Self when she had the chance?
From what I can infer, she's not that cold of a person to kick a guy who just saved her from falling from the cockpit from that height (there might be other motifs other than that, but idk).
Old 2014-10-04, 01:03   Link #98
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Aida doesn't seem to have an inherently violent nature about her, from what I saw. She took care not to harm anyone when she attacked the Crown, didn't really fight back against her captors, etc. Just not in her to cause harm to others without reason.
Old 2014-10-04, 01:16   Link #99
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
There's one G-Self only (for now). It changes colors based on the pack it wears. Not really a spoiler since you see those variations in the ED.

People should read this article first before attempting to watch

http://en.gundam.info/topics/white/34204
If that's the case, then how did Aida get the G-Self when it should've been taken by the Capital Army along with Raraiya?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 01:32   Link #100
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

That's my question too. It seems so far there's two G-Selfs accounted for.