AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you drop a series?
Never! No Retreat, No Surrender 9 7.20%
Rarely, unless the anime gives me actual pain 35 28.00%
I try not to 24 19.20%
Sometimes 19 15.20%
Often 16 12.80%
I don't care if it's the first or last episode, I'll drop it 17 13.60%
Always, anime sucks and I'm only here to emo about it 2 1.60%
I hate polls! They try to simplify everything in a manner too shallow for my hipster needs 3 2.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-22, 07:19   Link #81
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I never drop anything, except if it's really really really plain boring And by boring I don't mean bad. Bad shows are often entertaining to watch just to see how much worse they can get (boy, was I not disappointed on that front this year) so I never drop them no matter how horrible they may be. Terrible or mediocre shows also help me appreciate the better ones even more.
Interesting way of looking at things. I guess you are right... but that also means you must have loads of free time. Sometimes my life gets so turbulent, that I dont have time even for the shows I love. Watching something mediocre sounds like time loss to me but I understand where you are coming from.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 09:46   Link #82
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

I'd love to answer "Never! No Retreat, No Surrender!", but I have actually dropped shows before. So, I answered "Rarely, unless it gives me actual pain", as I'd rarely drop a show I'm watching, and can watch. While I tend to get bogged down and stall some shows that I'm not enjoying so much, I still try to slog through the show to the finish.

I never watch anything with more than 52 episodes for a single series, so it's not really that much of a grind. I manage to do this because I'm probably too forgiving and tolerant of issues in many shows. Having to drop a show is undesirable for me, especially because I try to be selective with the shows I watch and gather some info before even starting.

Now before anybody says "but you have over a hundred titles in your dropped list!", let me explain that the vast majority of those titles ended up in there not because I hated them and thus had to be actively banished from memory. They are simply there because I have seen at least one episode of it (on TV in the past), but I don't expect to be able to finish, or even see the show again, for various reasons (hard to find, lack of time, etc).

I added them there directly in an effort to remember every single anime title I've seen from childhood, but cannot be listed as "On Hold" due to the aforementioned various reasons. So, it functions more like a "dropped/will not finish/technically unable to finish" kind of list.

The rest of the items in that list, in the minority, are the shows that I actively dropped even if I could have finished watching them. Those are the titles I couldn't stand to keep watching/lost too much interest in. Dropped and forgotten. As for what those specific titles are... well, I can't be bothered to recall which ones, but I do know it's just a handful.

I choose the shows I watch to try to keep those actively dropped titles at a minimum. When I pick a show up, in all likelihood, I will finish it.
Old 2012-03-22, 12:39   Link #83
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Interesting way of looking at things. I guess you are right... but that also means you must have loads of free time. Sometimes my life gets so turbulent, that I dont have time even for the shows I love. Watching something mediocre sounds like time loss to me but I understand where you are coming from.
I'm with you here. Back when I was in high school (and had loads of time), I would watch shows even if they weren't overly interesting or entertaining, just because it was better than doing nothing and gave me viewing experience. I watched nearly everything that was fansubbed, probably doing anywhere from 2-4 episodes per day unless I had already watched everything that was available. These days, I'm probably averaging 2-4 episodes a week, and in thinking back over the last four years, there have been many shows that I found very interesting - and just never finished, because I became too busy. I'd love to go back and finish them, but it's been so long since I saw anything from many of them, that I need to restart from episode 1 if I want to finish the series.
Old 2012-03-23, 10:36   Link #84
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Time is also a problem for me. I've just learned to manage my free time over the years. I know what the maximum number of anime I can pick up any given season is and I never exceed it... or at least I try. The major drawback to never dropping any shows is that I can't afford to pick up any either, no matter how interesting they look. I'm stuck with my initial choices. It also means that on bad weeks, I have little to no time to spare on other hobbies. That's been the case these past few months, as I've picked up too many anime this past season. I've had to stop playing video games entirely to be able to keep up with them. The only hobby I still have time left for is reading, since I've got nothing else to do when riding the train to work anyway. I'll make sure to pick up less shows this season... I hope.

So yeah, it's not an efficient at all when I really think about it. This method only works if you can find value even in bad shows. I find them entertaining but that's not the case for everyone. Some of them are so bad it's hilarious, and if something can make me laugh, then I don't think it's a waste to watch it. However, to be perfectly honest, I think my inability to drop shows is a bit pathological. I just can't drop them... if I start something, I have to see it through to the end unless it's horribly painful.

There needs to be a balance though. If I somehow picked up only horrible series, then I would obviously have to drop some of them. There's only so much I can handle
Thankfully, that's never happened.
Old 2012-03-27, 21:42   Link #85
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I'm with you here. Back when I was in high school (and had loads of time), I would watch shows even if they weren't overly interesting or entertaining, just because it was better than doing nothing and gave me viewing experience. I watched nearly everything that was fansubbed, probably doing anywhere from 2-4 episodes per day unless I had already watched everything that was available. These days, I'm probably averaging 2-4 episodes a week, and in thinking back over the last four years, there have been many shows that I found very interesting - and just never finished, because I became too busy. I'd love to go back and finish them, but it's been so long since I saw anything from many of them, that I need to restart from episode 1 if I want to finish the series.
Aye, time. I have a specific number of hours per week I budget to spend in passive entertainment (e.g. watching tv or anime). I have other things I do the rest of the time (work, gaming (tabletop or comp), eat, sleep, spend time with people). I really have no desire to sit still that long either.

So its a rare season that I'll commit to more than 4 or 5 series - and often I'll watch them while eating breakfast or lunch. There simply isn't an infinite amount of time in one's life, o.O

But what I do is just archive the series I don't get to that I might like but didn't have time. At some point they'll be watched (rainy day plan B).