Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-30, 18:18   Link #81
Tensa Zangetsu X
Real Sword Smith

Send a message via AIM to Tensa Zangetsu X
lmfao, basically thats what i've been trying to tell people about buying stainless steel swords, but then again its not really a good idea to go outside swinging a carbon steel sword either even though a carbon steel handforged sword is better you'll still end up looking like a dork unless you know what your doing.
Old 2006-10-30, 23:07   Link #82
Atuin Blue
Uchi Deshi

i think a friend of mine is getting me the short version of Tensa Zangetsu, im fairly sure it's the same as the big one, but its meant to be usable for practicing kata (i do katori yay :P) anyways i wanted to know if the sword has a full tang or if im gonna have to weld somehting onto it so i can practice with it.
Old 2006-10-31, 00:27   Link #83
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensa Zangetsu X View Post
now im gonna keep the Fuchi and Kashira from the handle of the sword and im going to make my own version that will be made of 5160 high carbon steel and when i am finished forging it im going to send it off to be black powder coat painted along with some seppa, a better tsuba that will look exactly like the swastika tsuba that the sword came with and i'll have it powder coat painted and the habaki too and then i will post pictures of it if you guys would like, i will post step by step of the sword being forged.
Please do. I daresay most of us would be interested in seeing photos of a real smith's handicraft.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2006-10-31, 11:21   Link #84
Tensa Zangetsu X
Real Sword Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atuin Blue View Post
i think a friend of mine is getting me the short version of Tensa Zangetsu, im fairly sure it's the same as the big one, but its meant to be usable for practicing kata (i do katori yay :P) anyways i wanted to know if the sword has a full tang or if im gonna have to weld somehting onto it so i can practice with it.
the short version is the same as the big version, its not full tang at all and i wouldn't recommend using it for kata, its not a good idea cause these swords arent well made, it will fall apart or break.....its just for display only dude.
Old 2006-10-31, 11:25   Link #85
Tensa Zangetsu X
Real Sword Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
Please do. I daresay most of us would be interested in seeing photos of a real smith's handicraft.
i will but now i have to build a new forge cause my old one is like broken, rust ate big holes in it so heat escapes from it, and i wont start working on my own version for awhile, i have a few orders i have to do first which is a claymore, a katana, a rapier, another katana and a zweihander.
Old 2006-10-31, 22:21   Link #86
Tensa Zangetsu X
Real Sword Smith

actually i mentioned those websites on page 4 if you look back

Last edited by Tensa Zangetsu X; 2006-10-31 at 22:49.
Old 2006-11-01, 16:02   Link #87
Atuin Blue
Uchi Deshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensa Zangetsu X View Post
the short version is the same as the big version, its not full tang at all and i wouldn't recommend using it for kata, its not a good idea cause these swords arent well made, it will fall apart or break.....its just for display only dude.
I read in several places that the 68" version was full tang, but it would be understandable that the short one wouldnt be, especially when you can buy it for 14$ some places, lol!
i just thought it might be fun to re-fit it with a tang and a properly-weighted handle and maybe that chain bit that they were talking about earlier in the thread, just for the novelty that i COULD actually use it for kata, cause the blade is 440 steel right? it woudl be fine for [non contact] swinging around, but cuase of the laquering i would never be using it for Tameshigiri (test cutting) or fencing (clashing blades for the suck).
Old 2006-11-01, 16:41   Link #88
Tensa Zangetsu X
Real Sword Smith

Quote:
I read in several places that the 68" version was full tang, but it would be understandable that the short one wouldnt be, especially when you can buy it for 14$ some places, lol!
i just thought it might be fun to re-fit it with a tang and a properly-weighted handle and maybe that chain bit that they were talking about earlier in the thread, just for the novelty that i COULD actually use it for kata, cause the blade is 440 steel right? it woudl be fine for [non contact] swinging around, but cuase of the laquering i would never be using it for Tameshigiri (test cutting) or fencing (clashing blades for the suck).
dude, both versions arent full tang, they only say it is so that it will sell for more and more, if someone actually was honest about sellign one of these swords you would find out that they arent worth more than 30 bucks
Old 2006-11-01, 18:10   Link #89
Atuin Blue
Uchi Deshi

hehehehe yeh i figured as much, its all in fun anyways.

eventually im gonna have to go to japan and buy a $4,000 sword for proper sword drawing practice anyways.

but what about refitting them? a friend of mine has the tools to do it, wouldnt it be easy enough to put on a tang or even just a rat tail tang? and then you could just re-fit another handle.
Old 2006-11-01, 20:49   Link #90
Tensa Zangetsu X
Real Sword Smith

Quote:
hehehehe yeh i figured as much, its all in fun anyways.

eventually im gonna have to go to japan and buy a $4,000 sword for proper sword drawing practice anyways.

but what about refitting them? a friend of mine has the tools to do it, wouldnt it be easy enough to put on a tang or even just a rat tail tang? and then you could just re-fit another handle.
actually you can't go to japan and leave with the sword, international trade law says japanese can't sell swords to outsiders cause of a type of sword they have ( which i forgot its name cause its hard to remember) but the thing is damn near impossible to break and thats why they wont sell any swords to outsiders, also i sure could fit a new handle on it but don't go with a rat tail tang, its not a good tang but yeah i can make a new handle if you send me the sword and all of its parts and then i'll mail it back to you, PM me about anything further
Old 2006-11-01, 20:57   Link #91
Atuin Blue
Uchi Deshi

im pretty sure you can have the swords shipped with a special passport and permission of the owner and some other paper work, i know its pretty complicated, but people at my dojo have had several weapons shipped from japan, im sure of it.

indestructable sword eh? are you talking about a kind of katana, or is it something else?
Old 2006-11-01, 21:46   Link #92
Tensa Zangetsu X
Real Sword Smith

Quote:
im pretty sure you can have the swords shipped with a special passport and permission of the owner and some other paper work, i know its pretty complicated, but people at my dojo have had several weapons shipped from japan, im sure of it.

indestructable sword eh? are you talking about a kind of katana, or is it something else?
yeah , its a katana, but anyways if your going to have me make a new tsuka for the sword then you should let me know in advance so i can set aside time to make it, it wont take long and it wont cost anything, you can go to other handle makers to make one but they arent cheap, this one guy Fred Lohman charges over 200 dollars for a handle, i charge nothing
Old 2006-11-01, 22:01   Link #93
SladeX

I'm sorry but no sword is indestructable, just strong, but a bad swing can wreck the best forged sword available.

Second, there is no japanese law about no selling swords internationally or not to foreigners, but for the person importing the sword into their home country there are laws governing what you can import.

My sensei has a few authentic hand forged blades given to him when he attained his Sixth dan.
Old 2006-11-01, 22:09   Link #94
Tensa Zangetsu X
Real Sword Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SladeX View Post
I'm sorry but no sword is indestructable, just strong, but a bad swing can wreck the best forged sword available.

Second, there is no japanese law about no selling swords internationally or not to foreigners, but for the person importing the sword into their home country there are laws governing what you can import.

My sensei has a few authentic hand forged blades given to him when he attained his Sixth dan.
first i didn't say it was indestructable, i said it was damn near it and the reason why is because of the way they forge this type of katana, its been outlawed because of its strength and durability, and if there wasnt an international trade law then why does it state that if you get caught by customs they are to take the sword away to be destroyed on spot or if the sword is of any historical value they are to take it to a muesem?
Old 2006-11-02, 02:03   Link #95
SladeX

The law that exists in Japan regarding swords has nothing to do with the strength or how damn strong the blade may be. The law concerns and applies to historical relics. No japanese katana determined to be created in pre modern times is to be exported as they are treated as cultural treasures that belong to the country.

Japan has a lot of laws set in place to preserve anything of cultural and historical significance. This not only applies to swords, but anything of cultural and historical significance.

If a sword was to be created using the finest iron/steel available, forged in a traditional japanese forge in the method that makes it extremely durable and valuable, it STILL can be sold to exporters or internationally to those willing to pay.
Old 2006-11-03, 20:43   Link #96
Tensa Zangetsu X
Real Sword Smith

Who wants to see my goofy dorky self in my ichigo costume?
Old 2006-11-04, 03:44   Link #97
Atuin Blue
Uchi Deshi

ooo oo o o oo meee me me me!! :P
Old 2006-11-04, 04:20   Link #98
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

That's fine, but please post your picture in an appropriate thread like Post a Photo of Yourself!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-11-04, 08:22   Link #99
Wervy
Cutely Pervy

Take it from someone who bought them, they are both garbage.

1. both of them have writing on them, the bankai version has white writing on both sides (made in china/stainless steel) and the other one has stainless steel written on it, very noticeable and very ulgy.
2. the bankai version is glued together, you cant replace any of the parts.
3. the sheath for both of them has a tendency to scrape the paint (black parts) the blade. The black parts of the blade for the regular version isnt exactly done well anyways, very uneven.
4. The regular version sword's wrapping is very low quality and will unravel very easily, by which I mean the threads in the wrapping and not the wrapping its self (I think it might even be lightly glued).
Old 2006-11-04, 10:02   Link #100
nolanvoid

Yeah we just picked up both the bankai and fish knife sword as well as the 9' sephiroth sword to our list of bladed niceness

We are currently at a convention in Destin, Florida right now.

We're Half full studios, proudly providing sweet swords, gashapons, plushies and anything else we think we can foist off onto the anime fan community.

If you're in the area, come look for us. ( I'm not there, because I have things to do, back here in Dallas )
Closed Thread