AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2020-05-30, 10:13   Link #9921
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelgar View Post
Also severely limits the number of characters. What if two characters have the same role?
Not really, even if there are two characters with "same" role, there are other differences like race, age or affiliation. Only time there would problem is if for example priests held annual conventions.
Old 2020-05-30, 19:22   Link #9922
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Authors who try the nameless format are actually really dumb because it made it hard for readers to actually grow on characters.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-31, 01:06   Link #9923
Tenzen12

Yet Maoyuu and Gob turned to be popular proving it's not that difficult...
Old 2020-05-31, 01:10   Link #9924
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Yet Maoyuu and Gob turned to be popular proving it's not that difficult...
That’s two novels only. They are outliers rather than the norm.
Old 2020-05-31, 01:49   Link #9925
Tenzen12

They are not outlier. Novels which use such device are few and far between. Majority "authors" find it too difficult to even bother and after applying Sturgeon Law on those who do, those two novels is about all you get.

It's not difficult to get attached to characters without names because there is little difference between names and tittles. After while majority of people forgets that Female Knight or High Elf Archer aren't names. There is some initial resistence due not being used to such convention, but that can be hardly considered flaw.
Old 2020-05-31, 01:57   Link #9926
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^It's not good for grand world building stuffs like Re:Zero
Imagine how would you refer to Subaru, Emilia, Rem, and Ram without using their names
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-31, 02:18   Link #9927
Tenzen12

I don't think Re:Zero is particularly great in grand world building. That said going no-name probably wouldn't be that difficult imho. It's true though you can't use it in any and every story, that why you simply don't.
Old 2020-05-31, 02:47   Link #9928
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^You still need reason why they don't have name tho
Old 2020-05-31, 02:50   Link #9929
charasu
DigiDestinied

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^It's not good for grand world building stuffs like Re:Zero
Imagine how would you refer to Subaru, Emilia, Rem, and Ram without using their names

training track suit, white half elf, light blue oni maid, pink oni maid
Old 2020-05-31, 03:03   Link #9930
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
They are not outlier. Novels which use such device are few and far between. Majority "authors" find it too difficult to even bother and after applying Sturgeon Law on those who do, those two novels is about all you get.

It's not difficult to get attached to characters without names because there is little difference between names and tittles. After while majority of people forgets that Female Knight or High Elf Archer aren't names. There is some initial resistence due not being used to such convention, but that can be hardly considered flaw.
Which means they are outliers—if everyone else either found it too hard to pull it off or they outright failed in the attempt.

I couldn’t remember who the heck is Female Knight or High Elf Archer unless you specifically refer to which series, and even then it’s hard to recall that because there’s so many Female Knights and High Elf Archers in fictions.

Last edited by Avrorrange; 2020-05-31 at 03:23.
Old 2020-05-31, 03:05   Link #9931
Tenzen12

Quote:
^You still need reason why they don't have name tho
Everything is better with reason, but you don't need one.
Old 2020-05-31, 03:23   Link #9932
Rasty

^ I don't say it's impossible to do a good novel without the names, but I think most novels would be better if they had the names instead. This nameless format is cool to highlight something (for example in a special POV), but I don't think it is good as the main writing style.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-31, 03:55   Link #9933
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^In movie Birdbox, and some other post-apocalypse movies, there are characters that only known as Boy, Girl, etc

The reason is simple, because there are barely any humans left, so there isn't even a need to introduce yourself, and that's fine

Fallout NV's protagonist is known as the Courier, but only special characters have no name, not everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Fanta View Post
I couldn’t remember who the heck is Female Knight or High Elf Archer unless you specifically refer to which series, and even then it’s hard to recall that because there’s so many Female Knights and High Elf Archers in fictions.
Yea, how am I going to love my waifu without knowing their names~
Old 2020-05-31, 04:04   Link #9934
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
^ I don't say it's impossible to do a good novel without the names, but I think most novels would be better if they had the names instead. This nameless format is cool to highlight something (for example in a special POV), but I don't think it is good as the main writing style.
I disagree using name make any substantial difference. Not using them is gimmicky no argument about that, but you basically saying mainstream is inherently better then experimental works.

Would MaouYuu or GS better with names? I don't really see it. ReMonster? It would be still trash even it had names. As far as I am concerned only difference I see, is it adds different flavor to story. You might like it or not but story itself or it's characters doesn't change that much either way.
Old 2020-05-31, 04:24   Link #9935
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
I disagree using name make any substantial difference. Not using them is gimmicky no argument about that, but you basically saying mainstream is inherently better then experimental works.

Would MaouYuu or GS better with names? I don't really see it. ReMonster? It would be still trash even it had names. As far as I am concerned only difference I see, is it adds different flavor to story. You might like it or not but story itself or it's characters doesn't change that much either way.
I would say MaouYuu and GS would have been better with names. Of course, how much better is up to debate.In my opinion, the difference would be between 95 marks in an exam and 100 marks.

Last edited by Avrorrange; 2020-05-31 at 04:35.
Old 2020-05-31, 04:34   Link #9936
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^GS definitely, it's already weird people of the same class don't meet each other, other party exists, right?
Maouyuu probably not, it's very small scale story in the first place
And Maou and Yuusha are unique existences
Old 2020-05-31, 05:09   Link #9937
Rasty

Quote:

Re:Monster would be a pretty good series if it were not in the diary format (another novelty)

And the mainstream is mainstream because it works. If you are gonna change something you should have a reason why it is either better or more appropriate for the exact circumstance. If you don't you are just meaninglessly losing familiarity/readability points for no added benefits (even if it weren't inherently worse). I feel that being unique at all costs is actually a really bad trend in modern ENG literature (royal road has lots of those).
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-31, 05:40   Link #9938
Tenzen12

ReMonster could be pretty good if imprisoned female adventurer didn't easily fall in love with goblin for not raping them (yet) ...

Mainstream is mainstream because it's popular and easily replicable. If it cannot be easy copied it cannot be mainstream no matter how popular or functional it is (look on Frank Herbert for example).

Quote:
^GS definitely, it's already weird people of the same class don't meet each other, other party exists, right?
Maouyuu probably not, it's very small scale story in the first place
And Maou and Yuusha are unique existences
They do. It is rare but there is for example Priestess and Apprentice Priestess and of course Sword Maiden is also same class (she is former High Priestess). Heavy warrior occasionally mentor Rookie Warrior too irc.

Edit: I have to correct myself it's not "Apprentice Priestess" , but "Apprentice Cleric". Though it doesn't means they are necessarily different class (thought it might).

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2020-05-31 at 05:52.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-31, 06:46   Link #9939
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
They do. It is rare but there is for example Priestess and Apprentice Priestess and of course Sword Maiden is also same class (she is former High Priestess). Heavy warrior occasionally mentor Rookie Warrior too irc.

Edit: I have to correct myself it's not "Apprentice Priestess" , but "Apprentice Cleric". Though it doesn't means they are necessarily different class (thought it might).
Reading that makes me confused you know

Anyone remembers D-Frag?
That manga has weird thingy where some of the heroines only have Family Name
Takao, Funabori, Takafudou
Most of other characters have full name
Till this day that still puzzles me
Old 2020-05-31, 09:42   Link #9940
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Reading that makes me confused you know

Anyone remembers D-Frag?
That manga has weird thingy where some of the heroines only have Family Name
Takao, Funabori, Takafudou
Most of other characters have full name
Till this day that still puzzles me
They have full names, it's a joke in-universe that nobody knows them though.

Tags
web novel