AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

Old 2014-06-15, 20:36   Link #841
YourIdeas

They sure know how to make you cry over three members graduating. Almost was too much for me, but I'm glad that they went with the obvious choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
.... cries....
A lot of shipping though
When have they not been shipping? Least they made the Umi/Eri ship more obvious now.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 20:37   Link #842
MartianMage

I managed to make my brother start SIF and watch the anime as a result(I also played the game first before starting the anime lol) a few days ago and good for him he managed to get 50 gems before the event ends. Well he got 10 rares and UR Hanayo so I guess it's kinda both lucky and unlucky at the same time. lol

Just watched the latest episode. Very good episode... and I agree with their decision. I just wish that u's stuff don't stop coming because of this.

Also... Maki: "I don't want a u's without Nico-chan and the others"

oh maaaaan this ship!!!
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 20:45   Link #843
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

*shedding manly tears
Old 2014-06-15, 20:52   Link #844
Quickersand

I don't think this means the end of the franchise, so I'm sure we'll still be seeing μ's. On Twitter, almost all the seiyuus were saying that this episode has an important message. I think this episode just reaffirms that they always need to have these 9 and that they'd sooner retire the entire group than have some leave.

It'll be interesting to see how they move on, since in the anime, this is the end. I'm still waiting for Umi as a center in a PV. (And everyone else that hasn't had one yet too).
Quickersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 21:26   Link #845
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

*still DLing ep*

In the meantime...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 21:47   Link #846
novalysis

No-one is expandable. The institution might live on even after some of it's core members leave, but it is no longer the same institution, but a new one.

μ's might be retired, but the Idol Research Club continues on. In-fact, I would not be surprised if the mandatory disbanding of the Idol Group at the end of the Academic year, with the Seniors Graduation is written into the IRC constitution, next year, to avoid a repeat of this year, and to reflect the ethos of the Club in general to the concept of the idol group.

That doesn't means that the Idol Research Club ceases to exist, or the institutional knowledge and experience of it's various members vanish - or in the future, the assistance of their alumnis from older School idol Group. It merely means a new School Idol group is formed, out of the new batch of First Years and the members of the last idol group still in school. A new creation, a new formation.

I suspect, we might actually get an OVA detailing the formation of a new Idol Group, out of the remaining members of Okonazaki's Idol Research Club, and the new first years joining the Idol Research Club. Said OVA will involve the flood of applicants into the club, the awkward prospect of having to turn away people while Yukiho and Arisa are automatically inside the club due to family connections.

In the end, they weed out the less committed applicants, by putting all the first years to a grueling physical regime for a week. And then, we are left with three - Yukiho, Arisa, and someone else, a new School Idol Group is declared, and we are left with a sequel hook. The publishers would then wait to see the reaction from the fans, before deciding if they want to push another season of Otonokizaki's Idol Research Club.

It strikes me though, that if Otonokizaki's Idol Research Club keeps fielding highly successful School Idol Units, in School Idol Competitions, it isn't the reputation of the School Idol Group name, but rather, the reputation of the Club that the School Idol Group is drawn from that will begin to matter. Otonokizaki would be seen as very dangerous in Love Live competitions, because they keep effectively passing on institutional knowledge and experience down to the next group, year after year, without fail. And having a talented alumni helping them, and no shortage of training records and choreography experience to generate brilliant performances. One day, Otonokizaki Idol Groups would be the A-Rise, to some new, unfortunate High School Idol Research Club that decided to try to field a School Idol Group, in an effort to secure more funding for that Idol Research Club.

Actually, that sounds like an interesting fanfiction - start with a First Year founder of an Idol Research Club, watching Arisa (with a group containing no previous Muse members, as proof that Otonokizaki Idol Research Club can continue winning successes even without any members from their original title winning group, and hence the success of the Idol Research Club as an institution) crush the opposition, as Otonokizaki becomes Four Times champions of Love Live. Soon, that founder learns that the club got screwed over by funding, and might lose it's room next Semester due to the lack of accomplishments. She desperately tries to cobble together a School Idol Club, almost commit the same mistakes as Nico, but this time, someone reaches out to her (as Eri regretted not reaching out to Nico), and together, the School Idol Club manages to win through the regional, in Fourth position. And proceed to get crushed in the Finals, as Otonokizaki flawlessly performs an insanely complex and beautiful Nine woman dance, designed with the help of Otonokizaki alumni.

And with that, School Idols becomes a sport, with clubs dedicated to the sport of School Idols. And gradually, because it becomes a sport with a system of clubs, in begins to lose it's way, and it's heart.

TLDR: I woud love a S3 featuring the Otonokizaki Idol Research Club, forming another, successor but separate School Idol group to Muse, and all subsequent seasons, being the story of an Idol Research Club prominent in the School Idol scene. Considering that Nico founded the Idol Research Club, before Honoka founded Muse, the continuation of the Idol Research Club, and it's ability to bring together a new, just as wonderful team of School Idols every single year after previous Club members graduate, perfectly fits the legacy that Nico was essentially pushing for, when she was talking about continuing Muse. Actually, come to think of it, there's quite alot of Sports Anime trops present in Love Live.

Last edited by novalysis; 2014-06-15 at 22:25.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 22:30   Link #847
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I think what Maki was telling Nico (and the viewer) is this could possibly lead to the sub-groups:

Printemps/Lily White/BiBi
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 22:40   Link #848
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I didn't really cry. I got a little sentimental. It's not like they'll never see each other ever again. Just function as a full school idol group. I'd be a bit more teared up if it was a permanent goodbye.

Also liked the Yuujou no Change bgm when the group was out having fun. I remember having air hockey matches like that with my brother. Too funny.

Last edited by pagan poor; 2014-06-15 at 22:41. Reason: felt like it
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 22:56   Link #849
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, some fans here on AS seemed against, and maybe even a bit upset at, the idea of a Muse that switches out a third of its roster for new members. If a lot of the LL! fans in Japan felt much the same way, then this is probably the right choice.

In-canon, in this episode 11, I think it was handled pretty well.

Muse was something special. Even way back in Season 1 Episode 3 when you had the original trio put on a live performance, it was still drawing together the full 9 in a variety of ways. Muse was Nozomi's dream and Honoka's baby, but it was still about all 9 of these particular people. Given the way Muse was formed, given how highly personal it was for all 9, it may cheapen it a bit to have someone new come in and join Muse at this late stage. I have to admit that I myself felt that something was vaguely wrong about Arisa making the Muse cheer in front of Honoka. I don't mean morally wrong, and Arisa obviously meant well, but it did feel to me like some late-comer to the group making this cheer sort of cheapened it a bit - Sort of cheapened all the dreams, hopes, efforts, striving, and tears that went into Muse.

That being said, I'm glad Nico sort of presented the counter-argument to all of the above. If I was in Nico's shoes, I'd probably like the idea of being one of the founders of a proud ongoing legacy group for the school, especially when said group played a huge role in ensuring the school's continued existence. I think that might have been a consideration for Nico - That, and likely more importantly, ensuring that her younger friends in Muse continue to be school idols after Nico graduates. With this in mind, Maki's assurance of that was well-timed and nicely puts to bed some of the sadder considerations that Honoka's decision could leave the viewer with.

However, the particulars of how many of the remaining 6 will carry on as school idols, and how precisely they'll do that, could get messy. Will they join Arisa's group (that would certainly be ironic)? Or will Otonokizaka Academy actually have multiple school idol groups? Or something else?

Barring a third season (which I now think is unlikely), it might be best to leave this much, at least, to the imaginations of the viewers.

At this juncture, I suspect that this will be it for Love Live! the anime. You might see an A-Rise spinoff, but anything other than that I'm skeptical of.

To say more on Episode 11 itself - It was a very sweet episode that resolved one of the major hanging plot threads while also giving Muse some totally relaxing down time to just hang out together. That was a welcomed change of pace given how steely Muse's focus has been on the Love Live! competition almost the entire season thus far. It was also a good way to learn more about the characters - Maki liking art galleries, Eri loving bowling, etc... There's been a lot of nice little touches like that throughout the 2nd season to fully flesh out the characters and make them seem like well-rounded real people with a good variety of interests and past-times.

Well, only two episodes left!

I would guess that we either get two episodes for the rest of the Love Live! competition and maybe a slight aftermath, or we'll get one episode for the rest of the Love Live! competition and a graduation episode.
Old 2014-06-15, 23:05   Link #850
Rias

The power of people finding these things is amazing.

Spoiler for location of the beach:

Spoiler for someone went there already, on the night it aired:
Old 2014-06-15, 23:12   Link #851
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Oh... damn onion ninjas are at it again.... I swear they're a menace to society... ;-;

Also, hearing Yuujou no Change as a BGM was a nice touch there. Though- damnit onion ninjas, go away! ;-;

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2014-06-15, 23:17   Link #852
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

However, the particulars of how many of the remaining 6 will carry on as school idols, and how precisely they'll do that, could get messy. Will they join Arisa's group (that would certainly be ironic)? Or will Otonokizaka Academy actually have multiple school idol groups? Or something else?

Barring a third season (which I now think is unlikely), it might be best to leave this much, at least, to the imaginations of the viewers.

At this juncture, I suspect that this will be it for Love Live! the anime. You might see an A-Rise spinoff, but anything other than that I'm skeptical of.
Nico's desire for the legacy does not require Muse to exist. It only requires the Idol Research Club to continue thriving, well after her time.

There's the Idol Research Club - they didn't disband that, they retired Muse, and Muse only. So, I don't think forming the new group is the messy part - the Idol Research Club is still there, and they all defaulted back to the Idol Research Club once Muse was disbanded. It shouldn't be very hard to simply reform either one Idol Group, or even field two School Idol Groups under the aegis of the same Club. The particulars are probably going to be meditated through that Club, and the Idol Research Club gradually settles down into an established club that fields teams for School idol Competitions every year. It may even eventually field a Senior and Junior Team.

Presumably, next school year, or even during the Spring Break, the six would regather at the Idol Research Club as members of the Club, not members of Muse to decided what to do next, after Muse is retired - in other words, the Post Muse future of the Idol Research Club. Do they continue, the six of them, as a new group, + Arisa and Yukiho? Probably so, but the main trick would probably to distance themselves from Muse, and find a new name.

I predict that Arisa will then join the Idol Research Club, and be the one who comes up with a new name, for the School Idol group Otonokizaki Academy's Idol Research Club will field this year.

The real issue comes once club recruitment begins. And then, come the start of the new school year, Otonozaki's Idol Research Club faces a new problem : how to deal with the flood of applicants wanting to join the Club? How to deal with the fact that so many incomers, not privy to Arisa, Yukiho and the Senior's discussions in this episode, presume they are merely joining Muse with a different name, rather than joining an Idol Research Club, that happens to field it's second School Idol group ever, that is NOT Muse? And there are going to be many who join, who will be shocked at how tough the regime of being a School Idol is.

Of course, we might see the eight of them deciding not to form a new, large Idol Group from the single club, but rather, field multiple School Idol Groups from the same Idol Research Club. Which would more or less be a similar concept to a Sports Club fielding multiple teams. And perhaps, being part of the Idol Research Club might not necessarily mean you are part of the School Idol Team - perhaps some, realizing that being a School Idol is too tough, propose joining the Idol Research Club, without joining the School Idol Team.

At best, I think we might get a single OVA, about what happened to the Idol Research Club come the next school year, and that's about it. Of course, if there is indeed demand for more adventures of that Club, after their three seniors graduated, we might well get a spin off.

But an A-rise spin off is probably more likely in the near future.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 23:19   Link #853
Hachitora

Spoiler for Episode 11:
Hachitora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-16, 00:25   Link #854
choopo

damn i'm not crying, tissue where is tissue
choopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-16, 01:35   Link #855
Key Board
Carbon

I think it's far more likely for Yukiho and Arisa to start their own idol group
I think they've realized they are outsiders and can't really be part of that tight knit group
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-16, 02:29   Link #856
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
I think what Maki was telling Nico (and the viewer) is this could possibly lead to the sub-groups:

Printemps/Lily White/BiBi
Some of those subgroups have the first years mixed in with the third years though, which means those subgroups can't exist if the third years graduate.

I have a more plausible idea: Eri decides she wants to continue singing, so she and Nozomi form their own group called FripSide-

*SHOT*

Old 2014-06-16, 02:32   Link #857
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I have a more plausible idea: Eri decides she wants to continue singing, so she and Nozomi form their own group called FripSide-

*SHOT*
Хорошо!!!!
Old 2014-06-16, 04:53   Link #858
Kaengel
Chupa Chups Eater

This episode. Killed me.
Old 2014-06-16, 05:36   Link #859
Kakurin
大佐

It was the only way to go. I'm happy they went with it. Good way to utilise Arisa's enthusiasm as a catalyst for this development. Seems like the staff planned this ahead.
Old 2014-06-16, 06:30   Link #860
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

That was a fantastic episode. Hanada really does do his drama best when he writes the plot straightforward and isn't forcing letters of doom and evil snowstorms into the picture.

I'm really glad that the group decided to disband μ's in the end. I think most people would agree that μ's, and their story in Love Live, is about all 9 of its members, no more and no less. I'm glad that Arisa and Yukiho realized this as well in time to convince Honoka.

While I ultimately disagreed with her, I can understand and empathize with Nico's desire to leave her legacy as a school idol behind. Her first attempt at being a school idol was tragically cut short in her first year, and now as a graduating third-year, she has to deal with her current and final group disbanding after a year of activity *and* after hitting its peak. It's no wonder that Nico is the one who is the most strongly opposed to μ's disbandment.

Thankfully, Otonokizaka will continue to have school idols, and the remaining members of μ's will almost certainly form a new team. It's the end of μ's, but it's spirit will live on. And that's the best way that this anime can end.

Here's looking to a great finale.

- - - - -

Lastly, here are some avatar freebies for everyone:

Just because I won't be using these doesn't mean I won't ever use Love Live avatars again. These avatars just don't fit my current line of dynamic LL avatars.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idol, music