AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-05-10, 15:42   Link #61
Blaat

I enjoyed the film although I do think it's not as good as 2, 6 and 8. It is the best odd numbered Trek but let's be honest here Nemesis ruined the odd/even numbered rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The problem with the other 10 films was that they relied heavily on an audience's prior knowledge of the entire franchise.
I disagree, while I can't speak for the TNG movies, when I first watched one of the TOS movies I didn't even know who Captain Kirk was and I still enjoyed watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thr View Post
PS: I hope this is not the beginning of the end of Michael Giacchino's career. His score is really bad compared to Goldsmith's, Horner's, Rosenman's & Eidelman's.
While I agree that Giacchino's score isn't as good as the one's you mentioned (honestly I don't think any Trek score can come close to Goldsmith's TMP score, which is nearly perfect) I thought it was still effective, it lacked a memorable theme though or they should have used Goldsmith's theme.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 15:51   Link #62
james0246

I have a quick question: Now, I was wondering how, on the Winter Planet, there could exist a large reptilian creature, and how it could exist in the winter climate without blending in to its environment (i.e. it was a bright red colour instead of a white colour)? If anyone could speculate an answer, I would be much obliged.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 16:04   Link #63
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Two possible answers: One, it is someplace closer to a bird than a reptile (warm blooded), but then Star Trek creatures don't always conform to any Earth species types. It could be green-blooded (copper based) or blue-blooded (cobalt based) and somehow be suited to cold weather. Second, it could live underground and wait for prey to fall into its trap (or area of waiting). Since it came out of the ground and had a nasty long tougue, a creature that traps its prey would make sense. If it is underground the color might not matter as much.
Old 2009-05-10, 21:44   Link #64
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
While I agree that Giacchino's score isn't as good as the one's you mentioned (honestly I don't think any Trek score can come close to Goldsmith's TMP score, which is nearly perfect) I thought it was still effective, it lacked a memorable theme though or they should have used Goldsmith's theme
While Goldsmith's theme is the standard for ST Movies, that theme you heard in the movie's ending was TOS's theme.

Here's the old one
Old 2009-05-12, 20:00   Link #65
Nerroth
NePoi!

Any clue as to how I liked it?

*looks forward to getting the OST CD*

Last edited by Nerroth; 2009-05-12 at 20:20.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 20:20   Link #66
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

just watched the film and i was amazed at how good it was.

coming from the persepective of a film to enjoy and making it so that newcomers can come in and watch it, it was great. the old quirks were still there and acton was there as well. which i loved. when scotty goes on about giving it all, and Spock saying live long and prosper was great. also i never really noticed Chekov but he was like some mad scientist in the film.

the lense flair worked well and gave a different feel. at first i thought they forgot to do gamma correction but, it worked well with the film. great casting getting Eric Bana and Winona Ryder. the shots were great in fast paced sequences. the tilting of the camera as people ran around, that worked very well.

it did introduce somethings that were surprising but, it worked well overall.
Old 2009-05-13, 23:10   Link #67
denice25

i'm always a fan of ST.. though i haven't seen the movie yet, i know it's made to be a hit!
denice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 16:39   Link #68
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Now to wait for tech specs for all the ships involved and other such things.
Old 2009-05-15, 06:32   Link #69
Samari
World's Greatest

I'd give it a B+. It was decent, but in my opinion not as outstanding as the hype that it has been getting. Then again I'm a little bias since I'm a huge Star Trek fan. There were some things I liked and didn't like. They did a good job as far as a remake was concerned overall. Didn't really like the musical score when compared to the past James Horner and Jerry Goldsmith scores. That was kind of disappointing actually. The design of the Enterprise didn't look as good to me either (the inside was cool, but I still prefer the outside look of the original, more graceful, NCC-1701). Oh and clever approach by the writers basically making an alternate reality for the original characters to have all new adventures in. Nero's character design was awesome.

All in all, it was still a cool movie and it was a good way to introduce new people to the world of Star Trek. I can't wait for the DVD to come out.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 10:07   Link #70
Langknow

Just watched it over the weekend would like to point out some things.

People keep saying that it's not possible to build the enterprise on earth, and I think that they didn't.

NO where in the movie does it say that the ship was built on the ground, and I dont' remember any scene that showed people on earth building it.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie very much, and wouldn't mind going to see it again.

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 11:22   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Most of that "what the hell" about the ship comes from the trailers (previews, teasers) that clearly show at least the saucer section being built on Earth. Young Kirk rides a motorcycle up to watch the work.

As has been pointed out, the saucer section *was* designed to land on a planet with the original TOS design - just never shown because of budget. Saucer separation was shown in TNG and a crash landing was shown in one of the TNG movies.

The enginnering hull (all that crap under and behind the saucer) was built in space and never designed to for landings.

My review of the movie:
There was a fair amount of retcon, okay a HUGE bit of retcon (Vulcan.... :P). As a fan since 1967 (yes, 1967), I can't say I didn't cringe at many points.

HOWEVER, assuming the further movies inject more of the philosophical exploration that the franchise occasionally rose up to - I think they did a pretty good job of capturing the *SPIRIT* of exploration and more especially - of the *relationships* between Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the others as they ventured into the vast dark.

There were a lot of little "yes, we get it but we're going to explore this tangent" moments -- like Spock and Uhura (there was always an energy between them in the TOS series when they worked together - and then it was originally Spock who was supposed to kiss/grope Uhura in the Plato's Stepchildren episode before Shatner intervened. He wanted to be the first to break the color line for kissing in the 1960s).

Yes, I'm really really tired of the time travel -- I hope this is the end of it for a long time.

Disappointed the Klingons didn't make an appearance, but having the Romulans about *does* fit into the original continuity somewhat (the 100 year Romulan War referenced in "Balance of Terror" (old submarine warfare redone as space battle, excellent episode).

Simply because of the following factors, I give the whole effort a good solid "B-" rather than an "A-":
1) Will someone please break the arms of these idiot directors who think camera jiggle substitutes for tension and excitement. On a 50 foot screen it simply becomes nauseating SUCK. Its lame, stop it. Also closeups with camera angles that let me count nostril hairs. Orson Welles should rise up and smack them.
2) Action set to "11". Yeah, these people are all young and riproaring - so I don't count much off for that. But more dialog and exposition would not have hurt.
3) Stupid moments of "Star Wars" -- you'll know when you see the movie.
4) The long running issue of unintended ramifications of introducing a magic tool.
aka the transporter-as-weapon problem.The movie shows it as already an advanced tool -- too easy to use (catching high relative velocity targets? beaming into ships without a receiving unit?) and you've screwed suspension of disbelief. Then it becomes "why fire the torpedo?" just beam it next to the target... or right into the bridge since they don't seem to shield against it. The transporter in that time period was supposed to be bad tempered and risky, only used in good conditions unless there was an emergency -- one reason why McCoy hated it. He also had deep philosophical problems with the whole "quantum copy" thing and what happened to the original instance of the object.

How I view the movie in the long term will depend on the followup movies and what they do.
Old 2009-05-21, 13:53   Link #72
Langknow

I just also remember that this movie is now politically correct as Old Spocks says at the end:

"To discover new worlds, to go where "NO ONE" has gone before", instead of "no man".

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 22:17   Link #73
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

They replaced "no man" with "no one" in the voiceover by Stewart at the beginning of the Next Generation episodes.

I'd probably give it about a B. I didn't really like the "reboot" aspect of the film; I'd have preferred a story about the original characters that hewed to the canon (certainly with regard to the Vulcans). It does capture the fisticuffs aspect of the original series which was essentially a 60's action show with a veneer of intellect. Kirk could always be expected to move on in and start swinging; Picard rarely if ever would take that route.

As for the engineering aspects, the whole notion that ships with no aerodynamics could be built on earth then shot into space is rather ridiculous. Something shaped like the Enterprise could really only be built in a space dock. Even those shuttles they take from Iowa would be pretty difficult to fly though our atmosphere. Landing such a ship would be hell, assuming it could even survive reentry.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 15:37   Link #74
Nerroth
NePoi!

*Got the OST CD for the movie today*

*is quite pleased!*
Old 2009-05-30, 10:27   Link #75
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

Indonesian trekkies since 1995 (since elementary scool) but must wait 1 more month. damn!!!!
Old 2009-05-30, 12:47   Link #76
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I loled!!!

Spoiler for parody:
Old 2009-06-05, 00:34   Link #77
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I just went to see this movie a third time yesterday. Take a guess at what I think about it. Now I have to wait 4 to 6 agonizing months for the Blu Ray release.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
1) Will someone please break the arms of these idiot directors who think camera jiggle substitutes for tension and excitement. On a 50 foot screen it simply becomes nauseating SUCK. Its lame, stop it. Also closeups with camera angles that let me count nostril hairs. Orson Welles should rise up and smack them.
Normally I don't pick out little things like this, but this is clearly one of those "tomayto, tomahto" things that shouldn't be counted in an actually grade. This depends entirely on the person, and as evidence of this Vexx is the first person on several forums who I've seen say anything about it being bad. I for one like it, and Band of Brothers and many other productions, which also use this, are also very successful.

Star Trek fan wish granted: rapid-fire turrets. Hellz Yeah! Now phasers make for much better barrage weapons then they were used as before.

Fanservice: Japanese helmsan with a pocket samurai sword. You can't beat that.

And they still managed to hit on just about every classic homage they could for TOS.

I just wish that they could have somehow worked in a cameo for William Shatner. Not that I'm complaining mind you, and not necessarily as original-Kirk of course (since he'd be dead by the time original-Spock went back in time), but just as a side-"HOLY S#@%!" appearance as some random Starfleet member. Like the guy new-Kirk gave his motorcycle to before hopping on the recruit shuttle.
Old 2009-06-05, 02:07   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I just went to see this movie a third time yesterday. Take a guess at what I think about it. Now I have to wait 4 to 6 agonizing months for the Blu Ray release.....

Normally I don't pick out little things like this, but this is clearly one of those "tomayto, tomahto" things that shouldn't be counted in an actually grade. This depends entirely on the person, and as evidence of this Vexx is the first person on several forums who I've seen say anything about it being bad. I for one like it, and Band of Brothers and many other productions, which also use this, are also very successful.

Star Trek fan wish granted: rapid-fire turrets. Hellz Yeah! Now phasers make for much better barrage weapons then they were used as before.

Fanservice: Japanese helmsan with a pocket samurai sword. You can't beat that.

And they still managed to hit on just about every classic homage they could for TOS.

I just wish that they could have somehow worked in a cameo for William Shatner. Not that I'm complaining mind you, and not necessarily as original-Kirk of course (since he'd be dead by the time original-Spock went back in time), but just as a side-"HOLY S#@%!" appearance as some random Starfleet member. Like the guy new-Kirk gave his motorcycle to before hopping on the recruit shuttle.
There's a fair chance he'll make an appearance in some sort of flashforward/back,.

Consulting forums is not necessarily the best form of survey Interview most people over 25 who watch a lot of film and they'll suggest that 'camera jiggle' is amateurish or pseudo-hip and definitely over-used. You like it, fine --- I don't DISLIKE it for specific purposes but take a brief run at everything since Blair Witch Project started it and you may start rolling your eyes at its unjustified level of use.
Old 2009-06-05, 10:19   Link #79
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Consulting forums is not necessarily the best form of survey Interview most people over 25 who watch a lot of film and they'll suggest that 'camera jiggle' is amateurish or pseudo-hip and definitely over-used.
I suppose I should have stated that out of all the people I know, forums, family, friends, random blogs, and just little brief chats from whoever or whatever random talks I hear about it, you were the first I've seen say anything bad about it. And actually, I'd have to say you're quite wrong there; forums are some of the best places to gather info on what people thought about a production. So much so that the forum-ers get rather intimate and obsessive over the production in question. Especially when they're ranting/whining/complaining. >.> They were just doing so about the upcoming Shana production over in the Shana section.

Quote:
You like it, fine --- I don't DISLIKE it for specific purposes but take a brief run at everything since Blair Witch Project started it and you may start rolling your eyes at its unjustified level of use.
Um, I have taken an actually very lengthy look at a lot of the movies that use it. And I still like it, and don't I find it usage unjustified.
Old 2009-06-05, 12:56   Link #80
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Um, I have taken an actually very lengthy look at a lot of the movies that use it. And I still like it, and don't I find it usage unjustified.
So you're saying you don't know a *single* person that gets physically nauseated at films like Cloverfield or Blair Witch? Up close fight scenes that are more pixel swirl than expository? I'm aware of several people in my own life who don't even like going to the "big screen" anymore because of this specific effect and what it does to them.