AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-28, 23:58   Link #61
D404
Banned

Dude seems to have left/fled.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:04   Link #62
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyOtaking View Post
bayoab - As for pro subs not "being able" to include liner notes, see the part on Otaku no Video where I mention the massive booklet of notes they bundled with the video. The methods are there if they want to. There's no need to clutter the screen with redundant crap.
I meant that pro DVDs cannot include notes on the DVD sub track for various reasons that are more than just "It's distracting". Their two choices are either liner notes or a separate sub track similar to ADV vidnotes. Both of these have their advantages and disadvantages compared to what fansubbers are able to do. However, DVD fans clearly like ADV vid notes, as intrusive and obstructive as they are, since they keep putting them on.

This is not saying that fansubbers don't go completely overboard on notes since there are hundreds of truth filled "ITT fansubbers = stupid" threads on 4chan.

Quote:
And I never said they shouldn't translate signs! I just said that superimposing them over the artists' work is disrespectful. See 06:44 of this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PFu9lh37X34 for the professional way.
This is ignoring the points that
1) most companies do not typeset signs because it is not the simplest of tasks
2) what they can do is extremely limited by the DVD sub spec and
3) professional companies used overlays(!) early on.
In fact some of them are back to using overlays.

Any subtitle is going to be over some of the artwork. The question is what is behind it and how big is the sign. Most fansub groups who do things right make the sub as accurate as possible and in a place least obstructive and least destructive (like the infirmary sign in the video). It may be over the "art", but putting it in a solid colored sign is likely less destructive than over the sky or ground. Also, it maintains the experience if the sign is meant to be read since you are supposed to be staring at that part of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
What he neglects to mention is that the fan-population has become more sophisticated with the advent of the 'net, in the 80's and 90's few people knew the different honorifics and what they meant, now most fans know them by default so why bother translating them.
I bet one large internet message board (/a/) that average anime fan anonymous has no clue what any of the honorifics really mean or why that honorific is used.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:05   Link #63
icealchemist
troll4hire
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to icealchemist Send a message via MSN to icealchemist

So is the translation for the special move in the 6400 word note booklet/txt file from this "better oldschool fansub"?
Old 2008-05-29, 00:09   Link #64
MightyOtaking
Sieg Jion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome View Post
No my group really does want to sub in 30mins it's our goal to catch up to GONZO's speed on Blassreiter and Druaga. They're a very formidable foe though. I completely believed you when you said 30mins since you're like super pro (Maybe you have the flux capacitator, how the hell am I supposed to know!) so I was like, "Holy shit!" , but now I am very disappointed.
I'm sorry to disappoint. If I ever see you at a con I'll buy you a bag of peanut butter M&Ms in apology. Druaga... that name rings a bell. Isn't that an old Namco game? Tower of Druaga? It was in Namco X Capcom (was I the only one who liked that game??)
Old 2008-05-29, 00:11   Link #65
Oyume

Quote:
Oyume - I respect what you're trying to say, but localisation exists for a reason and can totally enhance the quality of a show without removing any of the flavour or nuances. Have you heard of a Sega CD game called SNATCHER? It's known as one of the best Japanese-English translations in history. I really suggest you take a look (it was the forerunner to Metal Gear Solid, by Kojima, the same Director). If you;re serious about getting a class product out there, take a look at it: http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.c...r/snatcher.htm
The translation was done by Jeremy Blaustein, who also translated Metal Gear Solid with his company WORDBOX.
MightyOtaking: Now I understand what you actually tried to say/achieve. Good luck on that, but you know, you can't change/save the internet.

"It's known as one of the best Japanese-English translations in history." ~ Probably. I will take a look at it.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:14   Link #66
MightyOtaking
Sieg Jion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icealchemist View Post

So is the translation for the special move in the 6400 word note booklet/txt file from this "better oldschool fansub"?
As has been said, certainb words (only CERTAIN words. I'm not including chan, san or sama here) are so well known they don't need translating. They've come into the English language, like "Coup d'etat" and "Poltergeist." Every fool on the street knows what a Ninja or Samurai is, and likewise, certain Streetfighter Moves are so world famous they don't need translating.
If you did a worldwide survey, you'd almost definitely find that most males between 13-30 would know that "Hadouken" is "Ryu's fireball in that Streetfighter game." I doubt even 20% would know what chan or san meant though.

Now, I know you're going to say I'm being picky and selective here, but you can see what I'm getting at.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:16   Link #67
D404
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
I bet one large internet message board (/a/) that average anime fan anonymous has no clue what any of the honorifics really mean or why that honorific is used.
lol /a/, and 4chan in general is dumber than your average leecher (which is really sayign something). also, they troll.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:17   Link #68
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
As has been said, certainb words (only CERTAIN words. I'm not including chan, san or sama here) are so well known they don't need translating. They've come into the English language, like "Coup d'etat" and "Poltergeist." Every fool on the street knows what a Ninja or Samurai is, and likewise, certain Streetfighter Moves are so world famous they don't need translating.
If you did a worldwide survey, you'd almost definitely find that most males between 13-30 would know that "Hadouken" is "Ryu's fireball in that Streetfighter game." I doubt even 20% would know what chan or san meant though.

Now, I know you're going to say I'm being picky and selective here, but you can see what I'm getting at.
I dispute this notion. Not even close. I'd be shocked if even 1 out of 10 knew what the hell it was.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:17   Link #69
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
I'm sorry to disappoint. If I ever see you at a con I'll buy you a bag of peanut butter M&Ms in apology. Druaga... that name rings a bell. Isn't that an old Namco game? Tower of Druaga? It was in Namco X Capcom (was I the only one who liked that game??)
Namco x Capcom isn't out in English, only Japanese. Insert coin to try again.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:19   Link #70
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by D404 View Post
lol /a/, and 4chan in general is dumber than your average leecher (which is really sayign something). also, they troll.
lol ya. Like any other anime board lol amirite any big anime board is like not a good representative of fandomz lol

i mean, uh, yeah.

But bay has a point.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:22   Link #71
icealchemist
troll4hire
*Fansubber

Quote:

But they wouldn't know Shoryuken?

Old 2008-05-29, 00:25   Link #72
MightyOtaking
Sieg Jion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome View Post
Namco x Capcom isn't out in English, only Japanese. Insert coin to try again.
It's really good though! If you like chasing that damn Soul Edge for level after level only for it to disappear once you get one square away from it.

Actually, there were some interesting translation/localisation points in Namco X Capcom, if it had ever been translated. At one point the undead warrior Kagekiyo (a real historical samurai) returns from the Japanese underworld via the "Sanzu no Kawa". Do you leave it uniquely Japanese or say that he's come back from Hades via the River Styx? Localisation is fun stuff and half of what I enjoy about translating.

There's also a cute girl who's actually 300 years old and speaks like an old man (putting "ja nouuu" on the end of her sentences and calling the main guy "nushi," which only old people use). You can have a lot of fun "English-ising" dialogue like that and I don't get why more fansubbers don't enjoy it.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:30   Link #73
MightyOtaking
Sieg Jion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icealchemist View Post

But they wouldn't know Shoryuken?

They would, but...
A - I didn't create the fansub, so it's technically not my fault, and...
B -I was hoping nobody would notice.

Personally, when it comes to Street Fighter anime, I wouldn't mind either really. But I think it probably enhances the viewer's enjoyment to know that Tatsumakisenpukyaky means "hurricaine Kick." Otherwise it may just be meaningless sounds.

But another argument for that one is that Shouryuken and Hadouken are so easily audible in the game that every gamer from the last 10 years knows them. Whereas Tatsumakisenpukyaku is much harder to hear (I mean, come on. In the arcade it sounds more like "A tap duck mule kick!)
Or maybe "Afflicted mule shit!"
Old 2008-05-29, 00:33   Link #74
D404
Banned

RPG-philes, or ppl who disliek fighting games wouldn't. IT's simply YOUR taste in games.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:34   Link #75
icealchemist
troll4hire
*Fansubber

Quote:
They would, but...
A - I didn't create the fansub, so it's technically not my fault, and...
B -I was hoping nobody would notice.

It's all good, I am just a professional troll.

I prefer a smooth flowing English translation with localized puns and such. Onii/Onee shit needs to go away forever.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:41   Link #76
Draders
... :D

Quote:
I'm sorry to disappoint. If I ever see you at a con I'll buy you a bag of peanut butter M&Ms in apology.
What if she's alergic to peanuts. There you go again with your self centredness, assuming everyone likes or can eat peanut butter M&Ms.

Don't even consider going anywhere near her with peanut butter M&Ms!

some people....

Edit: in my insane rage over his disrespectful and hateful comments I accidently put double quote access
Old 2008-05-29, 00:48   Link #77
MightyOtaking
Sieg Jion.

[QUOTE=Draders;1620679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post

What if she's alergic to peanuts. There you go again with your self centredness, assuming everyone likes or can eat peanut butter M&Ms.

Don't even consider going anywhere near her with peanut butter M&Ms!

some people....
This is where a cultural note should appear at the top of the screen.

You see, Peanut Butter M&Ms are impossible to get here in the UK, thus likening them to gold. So when I say Peanut Butter M&M's, it's a cultural reference like mikan in Japanese which has connotations of wealth and money (apparently)

Or something...
Old 2008-05-29, 00:52   Link #78
Cyprene

Tofu, I know you don't like the guy, but writing a fake CV for "Otaking" is really beyond the pale.

No actual professional translator would put "otaking" as their contact email, or list a fast food job or an "interest in video games" as a reason to hire them.
Old 2008-05-29, 01:00   Link #79
Draders
... :D

Quote:
This is where a cultural note should appear at the top of the screen.

You see, Peanut Butter M&Ms are impossible to get here in the UK, thus likening them to gold. So when I say Peanut Butter M&M's, it's a cultural reference like mikan in Japanese which has connotations of wealth and money (apparently)

Or something...

http://uk.mms.com/mms/en-GB

Seeing as they have a website and commericals, they can't be that rare...
Old 2008-05-29, 01:03   Link #80
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
Tofu, I know you don't like the guy, but writing a fake CV for "Otaking" is really beyond the pale.

No actual professional translator would put "otaking" as their contact email, or list a fast food job or an "interest in video games" as a reason to hire them.
Very funny. Tofusensei found it through google fair and square. That's Otaking's real CV which I deleted from the post per Otaking's request.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread