Aspiring but lazy

kayos:
Nice inking/outlining~ Lines are very smooth ^^
I can't find anything else to say anymore though. >.<
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 19:01   Link #62
Gundam Zero Force

Kavos,

I know you told me to stay basic and I was . . . until . . . well . . . I just couldn't help myself . . . . I am working on a real sizzler here

I don't want to give it away but the basic shapes and drawing is done . . . I don't think anyone will expect this . . . .

As for staying basic I am doing other stuff, too like you said . . I just kinda went all out and Iit actaully turned out well . . . I am adding the final touches . . trust me you will not be dissapointed!
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 21:55   Link #63
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

I guess I should post some stuff since it's kinda unfair for me throwing comments and not allowing people to throw comments my way.

This is one of my unfinished works from way back. Originally was intended as wave surfing which ended up as she extending her hand to someone to help up a wall. Unfortunately, I suck at BG so that isn't visible. xp I think this was a foreshadowing practice run, which I think could still use some work. >.<

This was done after quite a number of revisions. I first started with a real close up, with a lot of focus on the eyes. I wanted to do a piercing stare, which ended in failure. The second was a 3/4th view, which I scrapped because it was too bland. Then I did something similar to Haruhi's pose in the ED, her body facing right while her head was up and facing left but the eyes looking down. Finally, I just went back to the first one but more zoomed out, even if it's not so much as 'piercing' stare. ~.~

celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 22:17   Link #64
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
I guess I should post some stuff since it's kinda unfair for me throwing comments and not allowing people to throw comments my way.

This is one of my unfinished works from way back. Originally was intended as wave surfing which ended up as she extending her hand to someone to help up a wall. Unfortunately, I suck at BG so that isn't visible. xp I think this was a foreshadowing practice run, which I think could still use some work. >.<

This was done after quite a number of revisions. I first started with a real close up, with a lot of focus on the eyes. I wanted to do a piercing stare, which ended in failure. The second was a 3/4th view, which I scrapped because it was too bland. Then I did something similar to Haruhi's pose in the ED, her body facing right while her head was up and facing left but the eyes looking down. Finally, I just went back to the first one but more zoomed out, even if it's not so much as 'piercing' stare. ~.~
They turned out pretty well . . . . I mean I can't draw that style and they look nice . . .

as far as critiquing goes I can't really say anything due to the fact I don't see anything wrong with them . . . also I don't have the almighty poowe of the red pen like Zero does . . . maybe one day I'll have my own red pen of might . .

I got some pictures to post but do not have time to scan tonight . . perhaps tommorow I will.
Old 2006-12-07, 00:07   Link #65
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Sorry for not posting lately and not being so active, but my finals have started and I'm only a few heartbeats from having a stroke.

Anyway I didn't have even the time to browse through all the drawings Gundam posted, much less to comment on them, sorry dude. I'll after tomorrow.

I did pass by though and I saw your drawings, celcius. Damn, you can outrun me anyday. You really are a great artist.

But I saw your concern about the second drawing you posted and the position of her eyes. Great drawing, by the way, loved it. But yeah, she doesn't look like she's grining. In fact, she has a melancholic air to her expression. I redlined it, and it's as below:

Spoiler:

It's only a minor change, but when people look at you from below, normally in a more "angry" expression, like you said you wanted, the eyes are far up, and the lower part doesn't touch the iris ( am I saying this right? ). In simple words, there's a little "white" between the eye and the lower line.

I did this at school on Tuesday, on my free time between classes. Like celcius, I'm starting to feel bad about commenting, but not leaving anything to be commented on, so rip away!

http://www.kidoutenshi.net/random/untitled13.JPG

See you guys in a couple of hours, when I can finally come back to life again.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 08:38   Link #66
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
I second that opinion, you really are great celcius. The second one is amazing as it is, I don't see anything wrong with it. But unlike Zero, love the eyes as they are. It reminds me of this artist style (can't seem to figure out who). Wait there is something bothering me, it's the chin, you see how the chin curves a little bit on the right side (viewer's right).
I didn't say I saw anything wrong with the eyes! But I just don't think they showed the feeling he wanted to convey, like he said. I'm the same type: if it doesn't look exactly how I want it to look, then it can be the best drawing ever done, I won't like it. Damn perfeccionism.

Quote:
Ok Zero it's your turn. The sketch looks good, I only have two correction. Is that a scar on his face or an arrow pointing to his eyes. The second correction, the perspective for the background isn't right, I meant the angle of the buildings and windows, and rooftops and holy, is that a moon crashing into the city. You know we could tell it's a moon, you don't have to detail it, it just makes it seem closer.

Although if you added a moon, you might want to add some really dark shades and strong highlights in the sketch. But I know you don't like shading. Overall it looks good, just need to get some reference for rooftop perspective.
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/061113.jpg

Check last panel for comic insert!

And yeah, I realized the moon has this amazing "freak out" effect to it, but I didn't have much time to think about it, so I left it that way, same thing with the buildings. The perspective isn't that great, I agree, especially on the right ( viewer's ) side, with the building that seems to strech away. I find that kind of perspective to be absolutely impossible to do. When you add windows, then, it gets even worse. I'll see if I can manage to clean that up and fix things.

And I thought about shading it too, but I don't think it would look very nice in such a rough piece, you know. I was doing it with the black pen which, unlike the pencil, doesn't have an option to darken or lighten the lines, and if I did use the same black tone to fill in every shade, things would get really messy.

And it's just a cut! But now that you mention it, it does look like an arrow... next thing to lean: how blood flows.

Oops, gotta' run. I have a whole six pack of Adrenaline Rush to prepare myself for the next 5 hours. If I don't come back in two days, I had a heart attack due to overdose.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"

Last edited by Zero Shinohara; 2006-12-07 at 11:25.
Old 2006-12-07, 12:19   Link #67
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
Wow, a huge improvement over your Haruhi drawing a few months ago. The pose is very dynamic and the colouring is very good. The left hand is a bit "strange" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
The character looks really cool and handsome (to some extend, reminds me of F/SN's Archer). On the other hand, the neck seems a bit "out of place" and the perspective of the buildings looks wrong. Good work overall, are you going to clean it up and finish it?
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 15:48   Link #68
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Gundam, when you said "I am working on a real sizzler here," did you mean the restaurant or a complication.
No not the restaurant . . . I meant it was turning out well . . . probrably tonight or Firday I'll post my most recent ones . . . . .
Old 2006-12-07, 18:25   Link #69
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

This isn't really anime but I thought people here would think it's interesting. I drew it few days ago, I know it looks weird but for some reason I like it.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1165533571

Btw, Zero in another thread you mentioned that adobe illustrator has an option called "automatic vectoring", but I can't find it. Is it called something else?
Crystal_Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 18:31   Link #70
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

It's actually called "Auto-tracing" or Live Tracing, on my version of CS2. It's available from the Object menu. Here's a guide on how to use it:

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/ill...or_content.pdf

Good luck!

Old 2006-12-07, 22:20   Link #71
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Figured out I should post a drawing, just so you guys see why I'm this close to cutting off both my hands.

http://www.kidoutenshi.net/random/fu...ieceofshit.jpg

Old 2006-12-07, 23:18   Link #72
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Figured out I should post a drawing, just so you guys see why I'm this close to cutting off both my hands.

http://www.kidoutenshi.net/random/fu...ieceofshit.jpg
I have nothing to say except it looks great and I wish I could draw that well

I hope one day I can draw poses like that, very nice . . . you have a talent there
Old 2006-12-07, 23:20   Link #73
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

I already spent two hours dealing with her left hand, lower in the sword, I really don't think I can endure two more hours in a program to try to fix a drawing that has absolutely no future.

Quote:
I have nothing to say except it looks great and I wish I could draw that well

I hope one day I can draw poses like that, very nice . . . you have a talent there
Thanks for the comment, man, but there's a huge difference between practice and talent. I have experience and practice, but I got no talent, so these things never get where they should be.

Old 2006-12-07, 23:25   Link #74
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
I already spent two hours dealing with her left hand, lower in the sword, I really don't think I can endure two more hours in a program to try to fix a drawing that has absolutely no future.
wow 2 hours on the hand?? I had no idea . . I thought you whipped that together in like 5 mins . . . but it doesn't matter to me . . . . I think it looks great . . like said before you know how to draw things correctly and you have a very good grasp of it . .

eh, I need to post my more recent drawings like tomorrow morning or something . . I thnik you will all see another big improvement . . in fact I don't know how many I should post . . I have like 6 stellar ones (at least I think they are stellar lol) but I don;t know if I should post all 6 . . . . . I haven't really posted anything during this weekday but I have been drawing just as much
Old 2006-12-07, 23:35   Link #75
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

The whole drawing should've taken less than two hours to put together. I've done more packed-up drawings in half the time. Problem is that, when one thing doesn't go as planned, everything else gets screwed. I got no problem in spending some hours working on my drawings, as long as it comes out the right way. Sigh, things like this just make me wanna bite off all my pencils.

Quote:
don't you want at least one finished work that you'll be proud of?
Well, I've had a few finished pieces that made me proud of myself... for at most, a few hours. And yeah, I know this sucks, but I'm never satisfied with anything I do.

Old 2006-12-07, 23:41   Link #76
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
The whole drawing should've taken less than two hours to put together. I've done more packed-up drawings in half the time. Problem is that, when one thing doesn't go as planned, everything else gets screwed. I got no problem in spending some hours working on my drawings, as long as it comes out the right way. Sigh, things like this just make me wanna bite off all my pencils.

Well, I've had a few finished pieces that made me proud of myself... for at most, a few hours. And yeah, I know this sucks, but I'm never satisfied with anything I do.

When I get good enough (bu your approval of course) I plan to finish my drawings up on the computer . .

Remember thse 2 drawings I first posted waaaaaaayy back at the beginning of this thread . . well I don't do the digital work anymore because I figure If I can draw better and more consitenly now I can spend less time doing digital work to an unproportional character . . . . .
Old 2006-12-08, 00:09   Link #77
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Ah, Mr. Perfect huh. I don't know, I would keep the original as it is and just improve it in one of the softwares. It's much easier that way. Then you could always look back at your old sketches and laugh at your old mistakes. Pretty much just play around with it on you occasional free time. Then again you said you hated working on anything that's considered old, after a day.

are you talking to me or Zero . . . well even if you aren't talking to me . . .

Yes I could make an entire slidesow of my drawings . . in fact I would be pretty bad lol . . I would just laugh all the way through seeing how terrible I was just . . oh wait like 3 weeks ago was it? Man I have improved when I look the pictures I drew before I even posted on here!

Oh wow . . . those drawings need to go in a folder or something . . they scare me when I look at them
Old 2006-12-08, 00:17   Link #78
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
You are getting better, even I've seen improvement. You know, my opinion (which really doesn't matter), I wouldn't add the digital effect. I would try to have the entire scene drawn, it would be more organic with life. To have a flow, are you catching my drift? It's hard trying to put my thoughts into words.

Actally I hold your opinion very high . . . . you like anime you know what it should look like and you have been very helpful . .

I plan in the future when I draw pictures to do digital work on al of them and composite them in scenes . . .

trust me, if I can get to a level where I can do animations with a character I created I promise you'll see a video in the future Hopefully this will happen, after all I am going for a bachelors in Media arts and animayion . . my next quarter has a lot of classes that have to do with animating characters and making them move . . . so there is a very high chance I will get better in my drawings especially with all the professional help I will be getting next quarter . . this quarter has been just basic stuff, next quarter it all goes up a notch
Old 2006-12-08, 00:23   Link #79
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Yeah, that's Mr Perfect alright. And it's true, you know. I've tried changing, I really did, but I just can't get rid of this part of my personality. In one hand, it helps me strive to get better at all costs, but it's a two-edged knife, 'cause it also leaves me pretty depressed when I fail.

By the way, here's one of those I felt proud of myself for the first half an hour. It's overall acceptable, I guess, but feet and hands fail very hard.

This is different from the one I just posted, though. This is Luna, and that one was Hikari. They're twins, you can probably guess.

http://www.kidoutenshi.net/random/Untitled-14.jpg

I'm gonna get some sleep, and enjoy the day without worries tomorrow. I'll probably get to start drawing early, and I'll see if I can actually do something worth spending the time on. Till then, take care all.

Edit @ Gundam:

Dude, start preparing yourself to look back at what you did in the past and say "oh shi-...".

Take a look at this, for example:

http://www.kidoutenshi.net/random/gundam6.jpg

(Warning for eyesore).

This was done over 4 years ago, and I gotta say that it makes me wanna stick my head in a hole and never take it out.

Use this chance to see how crappy I was years ago, 'cause there's never gonna be another one <_<

Old 2006-12-08, 00:38   Link #80
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
trust me, if I can get to a level where I can do animations with a character I created I promise you'll see a video in the future Hopefully this will happen, after all I am going for a bachelors in Media arts and animayion . . my next quarter has a lot of classes that have to do with animating characters and making them move . . . so there is a very high chance I will get better in my drawings especially with all the professional help I will be getting next quarter . . this quarter has been just basic stuff, next quarter it all goes up a notch
I'm really eager to see that, dude, and I'm sure you'll pull it out. Just keep practicing like you have these past weeks, and you'll get there in no time. You still have a while to go in college, but after you finish it, pshh, you'll be laying down 3d animations in no time.

( I tried it aswel, on my own... lol, I didn't even manage to make a LEGO piece on Maya, so I gave up. This was a couple of years ago too. )

Quote:
lol looks good. no comment rofl.
LOL I actually hadn't seen what the hell I had posted in there, I just picked at random. Then you said it was good, and I'm all like "what, there's something wrong in here." And now I laughed so hard my insides hurt. Come on, my third grade friend could do better than that at that time. And he was what, 11?

Quote:
i noticed your hiding her hands. *giggle*
Yeah, I tried doing that, cause foreshortening and all that stuff is too troublesome to do. This took me a good few days to get it right. It's on times like these I ask myself "Why the hell don't you just stick to stickfigures, eh?". At least you can draw a south-park hand on them and it's all good.