AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 34 28.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 42.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.69%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-13, 20:14   Link #61
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Well, I managed to resist registering throughout SHnY's run, however it seems that Kanon has done me in! Hi everyone.

Anyways, not much to add, great, amusing episode. Neat to see the things others have caught (most I didn't!) hidden by KyoAni. However, no one mentioned something I noticed. It seems that some of Kyuichi's mannerisms is not the only thing thats come over from SHnY...

Are those two male students in the front who I think they are, or am I seeing things?

Last edited by Blue Reverie; 2006-10-13 at 21:04.
Old 2006-10-13, 20:17   Link #62
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Here is the comparison of the tree banging scene between 2002 and 2006

Spoiler:

@Blue...Wow...nice observation man...that is really good
Old 2006-10-13, 20:54   Link #63
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Spoiler:
Well that sucks.

Spoiler:

Last edited by orion; 2006-10-14 at 10:25.
Old 2006-10-13, 21:11   Link #64
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Hmmm...k..here are a few more observations...
1)Arent the night dress really same except for Nayuki has maybe yellow patch or somethin

2)Hmm...a mistake i think..as far as i know..Roman numerical 4 = IV, not IIII
Old 2006-10-13, 21:39   Link #65
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I don't think all these extremely subtle possible Suzumiya Haruhi references people are finding are a coincidence... KyoAni is notorious for referencing their own series in other works (surely no one has forgotten Itsuki's "SECOND RAID"). But, there's no question KyoAni have a lot of fun with their series and it transfers to the audience... I, for one, certainly had a lot of fun with all the Haruhi references in this ep.

After two episodes, I'm of the opinion that, even though the massive improvement in animation and general production values is very welcome, the greatest improvement in Kanon 2006 over Kanon 2002 is Kyuuichi. I think bringing a lot of Kyon's wit and down-to-earth energy to Yuuichi's character was the best move they could have made with his character. It's a massive improvement over a character that is, in hindsight, a tad stale and fills a rather reactive observer-ish role.

I did find it a bit bizarre that Shiori didn't try to hide her <insert spoiler here> during the scene where they were picking her stuff up. One of the strengths of the first Kanon series was that the foreshadowing was incredible. You couldn't help but admire how clever, yet subtle the foreshadowing was in the first series while watching it a second time through. I find it odd that they'd try to temper any of it, unless they're planning on a brand new set of plot-twists, in which case we should expect a very new plot progression down the road in this series.
Old 2006-10-13, 22:16   Link #66
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Well, there was foreshadowing in the 2nd Episode, but of other things.

Spoiler for minor spoilers, relatively safe to read:

Spoiler for major spoilers, avoid if you want to maintain the element of surprise:

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-13, 22:37   Link #67
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

IIII v. IV

Quote:
That's actually not all that uncommon. My dad had a wind-up wall clock he brought over from Korea while he was on TDY while serving in the USAF which had "IIII" instead of "IV" for "4". I've seen these elsewhere as well.

--Ian.
Old 2006-10-13, 23:02   Link #68
SkyDragon
Addicted To Anime

That is why I love this show. Key kept all the characters from Air and made a new storyline. I'm looking forward to more episodes.
Old 2006-10-13, 23:16   Link #69
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Well, there was foreshadowing in the 2nd Episode, but of other things.

Spoiler for minor spoilers, relatively safe to read:

Spoiler for major spoilers, avoid if you want to maintain the element of surprise:

Cheers.
It just seems to me that the slight changes towards the beginning are signalling massive changes towards the end. Whether they'll be good or bad changes, time will tell. All part of the early-days speculation, I suppose
Old 2006-10-13, 23:32   Link #70
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Reverie View Post
Are those two male students in the front who I think they are, or am I seeing things?
They are who you think they are.
Old 2006-10-13, 23:36   Link #71
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Nope, she died in the game from her illness.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-14, 00:35   Link #72
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
As IRJustman says, this is not a mistake. That IIII is the traditional Roman numeral for clocks, whereas IV is/was used in most other contexts. Fuller info than anyone wants to know in Wikipedia.

But please keep this close observation up, everyone. This is fabulous.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-10-14, 01:07   Link #73
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Some scenes that brought a smile to my face,

..) Yuuichi: "Goddamit, SHUT UP!!!"
The high-pitched urasai was hilarious.

..) Yuuichi: "Is it this cold everyday?"
Nayuki: "Today's a warmer day."
Yuuichi: "I'm returning to my parents' house."
Nayuki: "Ah, you can't."

..) Yuuichi's facial expression and exclamation when he and Ayu are in mid-air.

..) Yuuichi: "All I've done since I got here is run."

..) The part where Ayu & Yuuichi ask each other where they are, and the wind blows.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-14, 01:41   Link #74
kvnphm1

But where my Air cast cameo? Kanon managed to sneak into an episode of Air so why can't Air do the same?
Old 2006-10-14, 01:41   Link #75
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnphm1 View Post
But where my Air cast cameo? Kanon managed to sneak into an episode of Air so why can't Air do the same?
Do packet drinks count?
Old 2006-10-14, 01:50   Link #76
kvnphm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Do packet drinks count?
At least give me the crow =(

Anyone notice Yuuichi score the same seat as Kyon. There must be something magical about that 2nd to last seat by the window here.
Old 2006-10-14, 01:54   Link #77
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-14, 02:02   Link #78
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Man all these spoiler boxes are soooo tempting for someone who hasn't seen the first series nor played the game (I imported it in hopes of the patch, almost didn't start watching this but a friend convinced me).
Old 2006-10-14, 02:14   Link #79
Minoto

I'm disappointed...this episode did have some true LOL moments (my favorites were Yuuichi shaking Nayuki awake, and of course the jam) but overall, the pacing just seemed off. Even the timing within individual scenes was weird...take Shiori's introduction as an example: in the Toei version, Ayu smacks into the tree; snow falls immediately and buries her; and simultaneously, there's a muffled shriek or scream off to the left. A few seconds later, it cuts to the image of Shiori down on the ground, an obvious result of the snowfall caused by Ayu.

In the new version, Ayu runs into the tree, but nothing much happens; she and Yuuichi talk for much longer; THEN Shiori appears on the ground, and Yuuichi blames Ayu for it, but the whole linkage of cause and effect that was so evident before is entirely absent now.

I've been looking forward to this ever since I first heard it was being remade; why am I not enjoying it more? I can't fault KyoAni's art or animation; it's definitely beautiful...but so far, it seems a little hollow, somehow.
Old 2006-10-14, 02:16   Link #80
DanielSong39

Another slow episode; KyoAni is certainly pacing themselves. Seemed like a rather patchwork job; it set up much more than it delivered - let's see if the pieces fit together by the end.

So far this adaptation has me rooting for Kaori; she seems to be the most distinctive among the female characters so far. Not sure whether this was the intended effect, however.
Closed Thread