AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-11-04, 23:25   Link #61
Frontier

Episode 3:

At times Komi feels like a horror anime, especially with her shocked look and how scary she can come off to others .

That sure shifted fast from a story about Agari needing to learn to be more assertive and open to Komi trying to befriend her...to Agari becoming her dog. But hey, Komi got another friend, which is what matters in the end .

Komi has a phone! Basic, but okay. And of course she wants to have all her friends in it, which causes some classic Komi mishaps, but she wants Tadano to be her first contact which was super sweet .

Komi is now the Class God! Tadano tried to help her and got stuck as class prez because nobody else wanted the job .

Just when you think you won't get to actually hear Aoi Koga say anything, she calls Tadano by mistake. And then she adorably tries to play it off like Tadano dialed the wrong number. Tadano got to hear Komi's voice and Komi was happy to call Tadano .

Tadano sister! Komi brother! Both of them embarrassed by their respective siblings' antics .

Najimi and Tadano have the same intention but very different methods of pushing Komi out of her comfort zone to befriend people as Najimi drags her into the cool crowd to play some random games and Tadano can't help but get involved .

Everyone wants to see kissy-face Komi, even Tadano, but Tadano's too good a guy to leave that to her and makes the sacrifice play to protect her dignity...not that she gets it. So Tadano sacrificed his already crumbling social standing in class to help Komi, although Najimi also intends for him to own up to his end of the kissy-face bargain .
Old 2021-11-04, 23:27   Link #62
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I wonder if there's any intended irony in showing how unbelievably shallow this cast is for adoring Komi based 100% on her looks.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-05, 10:44   Link #63
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I wonder if there's any intended irony in showing how unbelievably shallow this cast is for adoring Komi based 100% on her looks.
I think the irony is completely intentional.

(Although she is totally drop-dead gorgeous).
Old 2021-11-05, 12:00   Link #64
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-20 at 08:04.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-05, 12:58   Link #65
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Episode 3:

At times Komi feels like a horror anime, especially with her shocked look and how scary she can come off to others .

That sure shifted fast from a story about Agari needing to learn to be more assertive and open to Komi trying to befriend her...to Agari becoming her dog. But hey, Komi got another friend, which is what matters in the end .
She got got man's best friend, so, you know, close enough.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-05, 17:49   Link #66
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Pretty sure it isn't, like in every single other highschool anime where people just worship the ground the school idol walks because... reasons.
Old 2021-11-05, 19:45   Link #67
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Pretty sure it isn't, like in every single other highschool anime where people just worship the ground the school idol walks because... reasons.
Based on how dumb the writing gets at times, that was my read too.
Old 2021-11-05, 20:09   Link #68
Frontier

I mean, it's deliberately played for comedy because of how absurd it is and how much it completely misses the point of Komi's anxiety issues. At least from what I've seen/read.
Old 2021-11-05, 20:26   Link #69
HandofFate

I did not understand the Saito-san game at all
Old 2021-11-05, 23:13   Link #70
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I don't think you're alone in that .
Old 2021-11-06, 01:50   Link #71
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Google it - there are explanations (and some oddly mesmerizing YouTube videos) out there.

From what I can make out it's a series of repeated chants, and the players in turn have to say the name of of a famous comedian, and then do their catchphrase. Whoever gets it wrong is out.

I think...
Old 2021-11-06, 08:16   Link #72
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It does sound out of Komi's reach.
Old 2021-11-06, 09:09   Link #73
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It does sound out of Komi's reach.
That's an understatement.

I didn't even really understand the game she did play, TBH.
Old 2021-11-06, 09:50   Link #74
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
That's an understatement.

I didn't even really understand the game she did play, TBH.
Which one? They both seemed pretty straightforward. They played the bamboo shoot one in Horimiya too.
Old 2021-11-06, 18:28   Link #75
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That counting game.
Old 2021-11-06, 18:42   Link #76
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
That counting game.
They're both about counting...

If you mean the thumb counting game, isn't it just about guessing the number of thumbs will be up? If you aren't as pretty as Komi and there's no cheating involved, you guess at the same time people put their thumbs up (or not), and you only control your own thumbs, so it's pretty much all luck.
Old 2021-11-06, 20:20   Link #77
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah the thumb one, but I thought there was another layer to it beyond that.
Old 2021-11-06, 20:37   Link #78
HandofFate

The extra was that everyone has their own local variation and house rules they grew up with, so everyone just played by their own version and made Tadano confused.
Old 2021-11-11, 10:31   Link #79
Frontier

Episode 4:

Thank goodness Komi can get through the vision part of the physical just by pointing. Even if she can't speak, she can at least get by .

Unsurprising the girl named "Makeru" doesn't want to lose, even by the "dazzling" and "godlike" beauty that is Komi, and she even rationalizes stuff girls are usually self-conscious about so she can call it a tie with Komi .

It's just a normal pleasant day for Tadano before he ends up getting kidnapped .

It's also a normal day for Yamai as she acts like your typical high school girl when she's in fact a crazy Yandere in love with Komi and obsessed with her to the point of degeneracy...Rina Hidaka really can play quite a bit of layers outside her usual loli typecast, which Yamai shows off well .

Poor Najimi is stuck as the only sane person in the episode, dealing with Yamai's craziness and being the one who ends up uncovering Yamai's scheme...and then Najimi ends up getting left there .

Of course this never would have happened if Yamai didn't agree to take them to her house where she left the evidence of her crime...but she couldn't resist the idea of Komi coming to her house .

Komi has a firm resolve when it comes to her friends, and it seems like she genuinely got angry with Yamai for what she did to Tadano .

Komi has always seemed a little self-conscious regarding how others treat Tadano because of her, so of course after this incident she's worried that he'll be in danger if he keeps being friends with her...but Tadano wants to be her friend too. These two are so adorable together .

I love how Yamai apologizes so bluntly and is about to try to murder Tadano for telling the truth about Komi...and then she ends up becoming friends with Komi anyways. Probably going to cause more of a headache for the group, but at least Komi's locked in another friend .
Old 2021-11-12, 22:18   Link #80
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wow...yeah this Yamai girl is dangerous. Locked up in a hole and never released into the world again dangerous. Got to enter the mind of a yandere today and can't say I'd want to visit again .

Never thought Najimi would have to be the voice of reason in an episode. It's kind of frightening . Though perhaps nothing was more frightening than Najimi missing the chance to leave the room with the others and being stuck in that dark room with a psychopath. Amazing work getting out of that situation alive!

Maybe Komi should think about shrinking the friendship goals she set. A handful of 'mostly' sane people is better than letting absolute lunatics get too close. At the very least she did somewhat reach that mark. Even someone that struggles to communicate like her can still show courage and make clear that no one chooses her friends for her.

The scene later with Tadano and Komi was really good. No surprise that she'd want to break things off. Without him she wouldn't have any friends at all. But there's no way she'd want him to get killed for that. And considering how frightening they did make all scenes with that yandere it's no wonder she got that emotional. But thankfully things worked out and they are on strong footing. They'll have to again get Yamai arrested in order to advance their relationship in the future, but that's to be figured out later.

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen