AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-05-05, 00:35   Link #61
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
-That said you are right on this one. It's german not english, thus offical spelling should be Mein or Meino not Main as I originaly said.
Those are also not German female (or male) names.
Old 2022-05-05, 01:14   Link #62
Tenzen12

https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=mein

60 thousand records of Germans and Dutch people disagree
Old 2022-05-05, 01:38   Link #63
zeross87

can we drop the name discussion already ? ^^"
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-05, 02:34   Link #64
magnuskn

Quote:
https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=mein

60 thousand records of Germans and Dutch people disagree
Surname, but thanks for playing. Unless you want to argue that people have always been referring to Myne by her surname and everybody else (including her family members) by their first name.

Also, in the Netherlands they speak Dutch, not German, so mentioning them is completely irrelevant.
Old 2022-05-05, 02:50   Link #65
Tenzen12

So we go from "not being German name" to "not first name." that's progress. Either way it's obviously name that author gave her even if he doesn't know how to romanize it. If it can't be used as first then it just means it's blunder.

Either way what is more likely that Mein gets accidentally name that is supposed be surname or that she is only one across multiple seasons that gets completely made up name? Heck, her parents aren't even extravagant Hollywood superstars.

Edit:it can be apparently used as first name so in the end you are wrong on that too.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2022-05-05 at 03:01.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-05, 02:54   Link #66
magnuskn

Quote:
So we go from "not being German name" to "not first name." that's progress. Either way it's obviously name that author gave her even if he doesn't know how to romanize it. If it can't be used as first then it just means it's blunder.

Either way what is more likely that Mein gets accidentally name that is supposed be surname or that she is only one across multiple seasons that gets completely made up name?
Surname's can be basically anything which sounds vaguely German, so those did not even enter into consideration for me. First names are by what basically everyone is referred to in the series (except nobles, like Lord Karstedt), so that was the obvious topic of discussion here. Since the author had no problems with German names like "Lutz", it's pretty obvious s/he made a mistake with Main/Myne/whatever.
Old 2022-05-05, 03:12   Link #67
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Surname's can be basically anything which sounds vaguely German, so those did not even enter into consideration for me. First names are by what basically everyone is referred to in the series (except nobles, like Lord Karstedt), so that was the obvious topic of discussion here. Since the author had no problems with German names like "Lutz", it's pretty obvious s/he made a mistake with Main/Myne/whatever.
Damuel was a mistake. (Typo for Samuel.)
Myne was a pun, like Shikikoza. Or, for that matter, Motosu Urano.

Here is a reddit post about the author and the translator's reasonings re: names. (by the translator)
It is slightly spoilerish as it contains names of characters who haven't appeared yet.
Spoiler for P4V1:

Relevant to this discussion is that, while German was an obvious inspiration, the author didn't mean to create fantasy Germany and doesn't consider herself bound to use purely German names.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-05, 05:36   Link #68
Tenzen12

That's super insightful. Thanks for linking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
As I corrected myself in edid Mein/Meinoi actually is actually (male) first name.

And wait! are you agreeing that author made mistakes if so why are we even arguing? That's what I said.
Old 2022-05-05, 06:30   Link #69
magnuskn

Yeah, very insightful posting. Thanks, Anh. Kinda reminds me of the mistakes Jim Butcher made in the Dresden Files. "Das Erlkönig", yeah sure.

Anyway, it's correct we shouldn't be argueing.
Old 2022-05-05, 11:48   Link #70
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

My main takeaway from this episode is: Karstedt needs to learn how to apprehend enemies without blowing the shit outta them . I mean, he blew up two enemies into dust in a row, losing leads to the suspect who gave the order. Isn't he supposed to be some kinda commander of the knights? But he doesn't know a good way to apprehend an individual?
Old 2022-05-05, 11:53   Link #71
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
My main takeaway from this episode is: Karstedt needs to learn how to apprehend enemies without blowing the shit outta them . I mean, he blew up two enemies into dust in a row, losing leads to the suspect who gave the order. Isn't he supposed to be some kinda commander of the knights? But he doesn't know a good way to apprehend an individual?
When all you have is a hammer...

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-05, 12:03   Link #72
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
The first one self-destructed. The other was due to a surprise buff.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-05, 12:35   Link #73
zeross87

"the priest duo magic power is omnipotent ! "
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 17:02   Link #74
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

They reserved it for the comedic chibi skit at the end of the episode, but Myne's father telling us about all the children he had who died was pretty dark. And it's not often isekai actually touches on the high death rates of newborns in medieval times.
Old 2022-05-09, 19:42   Link #75
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Kamil? Myne's lil bro's name is Kamil??!!

Well, Kamil is certainly a man's name . Let's hope that this Kamil won't be as short tempered as the OG one from Zeta Gundam .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
They reserved it for the comedic chibi skit at the end of the episode, but Myne's father telling us about all the children he had who died was pretty dark. And it's not often isekai actually touches on the high death rates of newborns in medieval times.
Indeed. That's good stuff narrative-wise, but very sad for the family....
Old 2022-05-09, 20:45   Link #76
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Myne really got a lot of things done in such a short amount of time good thing Ferdinand stepped in

Father like daughter both pacing back and forth
Old 2022-05-09, 21:24   Link #77
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yeah, that was oddly realistic and dark for an end of episode skit
Old 2022-05-10, 00:21   Link #78
magnuskn

So, why am I getting strong LGTBQ vibes from the head priest, Sylvester and Benno? ^^
Old 2022-05-10, 01:20   Link #79
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Yeah, that was oddly realistic and dark for an end of episode skit
While we're on the subject of "dark," I got a pretty ominous vibe off that gray shrine maiden telling Delia that the incoming visitor "likes children."
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-10, 03:28   Link #80
Tenzen12

Quote:
Kamil? Myne's lil bro's name is Kamil??!!

Well, Kamil is certainly a man's name . Let's hope that this Kamil won't be as short tempered as the OG one from Zeta Gundam .

Indeed. That's good stuff narrative-wise, but very sad for the family....
Unlike Kamille, Kamil IS man's name though. It's two different names.