4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-07-04, 02:34   Link #61
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It's funny how this is all started by discussing/complaining about Mordred's Transformer-helmet .
Yes, it started about Mordred's helmet and somehow turned into "I am going to voice my grievances about Nasu and his narrative choices, especially gender-related, dictated by the necessity to cater to those godamned otaku.", I have a lot of grievance to voice regarding certain franchises, like Gundam and its super prototypes every once in a while dictated by Bandai wanting more toy promotion, but you dont see me in the Gundam subforums. Last thing mods and forum users want is another heated argument of that sort, like it happened every single time with KyoAni.

Spoiler for on complains about genderswap:

Spoiler:

It's just too bad that it's not a longer episode. Introducing 14 Servants AND 14 Masters, not to mention Jeanne d'Arc was going to be a tall order. Akira Ishida did differently in his Apocrypha manga to give away Mordred's identity. I'd rather have seen that instead.

Last edited by Sheba; 2017-07-04 at 03:05.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-04, 04:46   Link #62
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Yes, it started about Mordred's helmet and somehow turned into "I am going to voice my grievances about Nasu and his narrative choices, especially gender-related, dictated by the necessity to cater to those godamned otaku.",
Hey, I like Fate anime in general (probably except for Prisma Illya). I enjoy them right down to the absurd ones like Carnival Phantasm (it helps that I’m familiar with Tsukihime & Melty Blood before watching it). If I don’t like them, I wouldn’t be here. But even if I like something, I sure can voice my grievances with the franchise once in a while. I’m not bashing Fate, more like having fun with it by making fun about certain aspects of it (and how fans treat things too seriously sometimes) just like Carnival Phantasm, F/Z Omake episodes and some Fate spoof/comedy/omake mangas did. For that matter, I only brought up genderbend/swap in Fate because I see someone brought up authenticity regarding Fate’s servants and their techs.

Quote:
I have a lot of grievance to voice regarding certain franchises, like Gundam and its super prototypes every once in a while dictated by Bandai wanting more toy promotion, but you dont see me in the Gundam subforums. Last thing mods and forum users want is another heated argument of that sort, like it happened every single time with KyoAni.
If you like Gundam and is passionate about it, you’re very welcomed to voice your grievances in the subforums.
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
We can have a good discussion from it. Most Gundam fans in Asuki are not blind fans who put Gundam anime on a pedestal.

Quote:
Spoiler for on complains about genderswap:
Spoiler:
Good thing indeed. I think I know what character you're talking about and I certainly don't want to see a (lazy) genderbend of him .

Quote:
It's just too bad that it's not a longer episode. Introducing 14 Servants AND 14 Masters, not to mention Jeanne d'Arc was going to be a tall order. Akira Ishida did differently in his Apocrypha manga to give away Mordred's identity. I'd rather have seen that instead.
I also think the execution of this episode left me wanting. Something tells me it could've been (a lot) better even without Ufotable. I voted "average" on the poll not because I'm hating or bashing, but merely because I felt somehow underwhelmed by it.
Old 2017-07-04, 06:14   Link #63
Tenzen12

Yes, it's pretty much staple of Fate franchise take huge liberties in characterisation and powers of famous "heroes" though even definition of that is inconsistent. You can like it or hate (I like it), but what you can isdeny it. Only difference between Sengoku basara and fate is that Fate use lot of words to explain why these people are ridiculous, where later just take it and run with it.
Old 2017-07-04, 07:41   Link #64
DemonneoPT

I mean, Fate has magic. Just by that, why even expect something realist from it's characters to begin with? Just because they share the name of famous people of our world? If King Arthur can fight like Goku and throw beams out of his sword, "him" being a "she" is the least of my worries here..lol

I see Fate as a fun battle royale match with cool powers, badass characters and nice dialogues between them. That's why i love this so much. And Ufotable animation took it to the next level. I just hope A-1 can at least keep the same animation quality used in the first episode. It would be nice
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-04, 09:38   Link #65
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
I mean, Fate has magic. Just by that, why even expect something realist from it's characters to begin with? Just because they share the name of famous people of our world? If King Arthur can fight like Goku and throw beams out of his sword, "him" being a "she" is the least of my worries here..lol
That’s actually my point when people are addressing and complaining about Mordred’s Transformers-helmet being too advanced for the period when we have Gilgamesh flying around in an aircraft and a female Arthur spamming destructive beams like Goku. I mean, if people are okay with those, Mordred's "futuristic" helmet should be nothing .

From a story standpoint, I have no problem with genderswap Arthur. I'm just not a fan of it from the meta perspective (aka. marketing stunt) especially when many other servants gets to keep their "correct" gender XD
Old 2017-07-04, 15:34   Link #66
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

crazy that netflix isn't releasing this week by week. thank god utw reformed for this..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 08:32   Link #67
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I think there's a bit too much hubbub. I always marvel at how well researched the actual mythology often is in these stories, even with the deliberate changes. The story often refers to some obscure references that actually do exist that not everyone knows about. The aztec flying machine has some actual basis in legend.

While I doubt there's something all that interesting said about Mordred's armor... A magical armor that can remove its helmet like that isn't really all that law defying. Using magic to make things move is like one of the most basic things magic can do.

Also, I'd like to point out that Oda Nobunaga (as well as Souji Okita) is a joke character, so it's not really fair to use her as an example.

There are a fair amount of women in legends and myths, sure... But most of them are sorceresses or witches. Just saying.

The fact that some of the gender bent characters are actually very well written and likable also helps.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 10:24   Link #68
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
There are a fair amount of women in legends and myths, sure... But most of them are sorceresses or witches. Just saying.
But not all of them are sorceress or witches. That's the point. I would've given the writer(s) of the Fate series an extra accolade if they actually use legendary/historical warriors who are actual females (complete with their background stories) precisely because they are rare. Asia's history and literature alone have a notable number of female warriors (Hua Mulan and Tomoe Gozen being two of the obvious ones). Heck, Re:Creators that's airing this season has a version of Hangaku Gozen as Stand-ish guardian spirit for one of the protags. IMHO Genderswapping a heroic male figure (one of the most famous and well-known at that) is both an easy/lazy way out (for obvious reasons) and also a hassle because it will produce unnecessary convolution once you take it seriously. For example, I bet Mordred's origin in Fate is more complicated/convoluted than the actual legend, all because Arthur (sorry, Arturia) is now a girl .
Old 2017-07-05, 11:10   Link #69
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
(Hua Mulan and Tomoe Gozen being two of the obvious ones)
My retort to this is very simple and obvious.

"Who?"

Also, I'm sure you are aware how the practice of genderswapping well known people actually started. It's just a ball that started rolling and kept going.
Old 2017-07-05, 11:51   Link #70
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
My retort to this is very simple and obvious.

"Who?"
You don't even know Mulan even though she's already widely known all over the world thanks to Disney?

You can't use lack of popularity as an argument because Nasu & friends can make those female warriors famous figures if they want. Also, if they can make Shiro (who is a totally made-up character) a servant, they sure as hell can make the rarely-known historical/legendary female warriors servants too.

Quote:
Also, I'm sure you are aware how the practice of genderswapping well known people actually started. It's just a ball that started rolling and kept going.
Just because it's a ball that started rolling and kept going doesn't mean it's good.
Old 2017-07-05, 11:57   Link #71
DMurphy

Petition to have Grace O'Malley show up as Servant in something. The best servant.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 12:01   Link #72
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Petition to have Grace O'Malley show up as Servant in something. The best servant.
Where do I sign up?
Old 2017-07-05, 15:01   Link #73
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
You don't even know Mulan even though she's already widely known all over the world thanks to Disney?

You can't use lack of popularity as an argument because Nasu & friends can make those female warriors famous figures if they want. Also, if they can make Shiro (who is a totally made-up character) a servant, they sure as hell can make the rarely-known historical/legendary female warriors servants too.

Just because it's a ball that started rolling and kept going doesn't mean it's good.
I don't know, I don't really think being in a disney movie is enough by itself to qualify for being well-known. Plus you know, I would hardly call Mulan iconic. And I'm not just talking about in-universe here. I'm talking about in general. I don't think any of these would qualify as being the protagonist's servant.

And I merely countered your argument for them being "lazy". King Arthur in the original concept was in fact male (and the protagonist was female). The genders were flipped for marketability.

Quote:
Who?
Old 2017-07-05, 17:42   Link #74
DMurphy

Quote:

Who?
Irish queen who took to life as a pirate. Kidnapped a man's son because he was inhospitable. Nearly wiped out an entire clan because they killed one of her lovers. Once had an audience with Queen Elizabeth I where they both spoke Latin, because O'Malley didn't speak English and Elizabeth didn't speak Irish. A very well-remembered figure in Irish and British history.

Top tier Servant material.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 18:06   Link #75
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Best? The characters from the Mahabarata would beg to differ. There, this is a fcking shounen manga, and canon games showed them powerful enough to give Gil a run for his money.
Old 2017-07-05, 18:33   Link #76
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I don't know, I don't really think being in a disney movie is enough by itself to qualify for being well-known. Plus you know, I would hardly call Mulan iconic. And I'm not just talking about in-universe here. I'm talking about in general. I don't think any of these would qualify as being the protagonist's servant.
That's what you think. Mulan is a great protagonist which already proven not only by the Disney movie, but also in Chinese/Hong Kong movies. And like I said, lack of popularity is not a factor once Nasu decided to make a servant.

Quote:
And I merely countered your argument for them being "lazy". King Arthur in the original concept was in fact male (and the protagonist was female). The genders were flipped for marketability.
That was my point since my post in previous pages. I don't like the "genderswap for marketing stunt"-aspect. It's lazy to me. They should've either kept their decision of using the male Arthur or used actual female figure without going the easy way for marketing if they are confident with their story, and not succumbing to the generic market demand.

Quote:
Best? The characters from the Mahabarata would beg to differ. There, this is a fcking shounen manga, and canon games showed them powerful enough to give Gil a run for his money.
As long as they use actual female figures, I'm down with it.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2017-07-05 at 18:45.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-06, 05:24   Link #77
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

TBH I am not exactly a fan of the alternate stories of the Fateverse. I'm a bit of a purist you see and pretty much prefer the original continuity of Stay Night and Zero. The onyl other side story I got into was Extra.

That said the episode kind of started similar to how the first episode of Zero went so that's a good thing. Kind of hard for me to gauge my potential appreciation here since this is one of the parts of the Fateverse I'm not familiar with

At least I can say that Jean and Mordred are hot AF. And voiced by Maaya Sakamoto and Miyuki Sawashiro no less.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-06, 05:46   Link #78
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:

As long as they use actual female figures, I'm down with it.
None of the Mahabarata guys got genderswapped. Done with the genderswap topic yet?

Last edited by Sheba; 2017-07-06 at 06:04.
Old 2017-07-06, 05:53   Link #79
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Look, there is already a Mahabarata character in Apocrypha and he is a guy. Done with the genderswap topic yet?
If he's not genderbent then yes, I'm done (until another genderbent character appears). Still, isn't your post above a spoiler?
Old 2017-07-06, 06:00   Link #80
Tenzen12

Yes it is.