1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-24, 01:41   Link #61
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
I seriously wish this anime had actually been about the formation of the current Walkures...their trials...their work to becoming the group they are now...sigh....
There's always AKB0048...

It would be nice if they had done better treating it as an ensemble from the beginning, I think.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 01:49   Link #62
ReddyRedWolf

Several references to Macross Frontier with Windermere having super Fold drives and Berger theorizing that Roid may be aiming for a hivemind collective. Seems like years after the Vajra war the effect of Macross Galaxy can still be felt.

On another note Kaname comes from a civil war torn planet called Divide. Who the hell names ther planet that? It is asking for a civil war. In any case it shows all is not perfect in the NUN as before decentralization Anti-UN groups particular Zentradi have insurgencies as seen on Macross Plus with Isamu's record and the reason why AVF program came to be,not to mention worlds like Kasshubu where the military split into Pro-Lactence UN Spacy and NUNS. Black market corporations like Critical Path, Loshier Company and Epsilon Foundation isn't helping as to them war is good for business.

Mikumo may be a genetic clone of a Protoculture Star Singer. For all of Roid's pride on Windermerean superiority it hasn't occurred to him that maybe his race is a failed experiment.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 02:24   Link #63
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Several references to Macross Frontier with Windermere having super Fold drives and Berger theorizing that Roid may be aiming for a hivemind collective.
If my Grace 2.0 idea comes true I'm gonna laugh so hard.
Old 2016-08-24, 03:20   Link #64
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Mikumo may be a genetic clone of a Protoculture Star Singer. For all of Roid's pride on Windermerean superiority it hasn't occurred to him that maybe his race is a failed experiment.
It has always been the case that anyone claiming the status of the master race, only does so due to a sense of inferiority and a desire to compensate. Anyone who truly felt themselves advantaged, has no reason to broadcast it. Much like truly wealthy people would prefer not to let anyone know how rich they are.

The Chinese Empire, for most of its history, kept to itself and don't expand much, because the Chinese literally don't see what the inferior outsiders have to offer. Thus there was no dream of world conquest, the belief being that the best nation on the planet is China and no where else is worth possessing

It is most likely that Roid DO think of his own people as a failed experiment, and that he hides this behind a veneer of racial superiority to sleep at night, leading to try to conquer others to reinforce that lie. "I can prove I am superior to you, if I manage to enslave you".

Basically, massive mental insecurity.
Old 2016-08-24, 04:50   Link #65
charles883

in other words if Winderemere successful to conquer more 'successful' race it help him to debunk the possibility of his race is a failed experiment.
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 05:00   Link #66
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
If my Grace 2.0 idea comes true I'm gonna laugh so hard.
Grace wanted to control the galaxy using the Vajra though, Roid seems more into fixing the lifespan stuff first. Predictably, Roid was the one who killed Gramia. Either way, this is the dullest "galactic war" I've watched. It just seems that war announcement was only made to make Cassim and others turn against Roid's plan because they haven't done anything since it was announced.

I hope Kawamori's not introducing yet another new problem with the Star Singer in the ruins because that ending was ominous

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2016-08-24 at 05:29.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 05:31   Link #67
magnuskn

Well, I don't know exactly what to think of this episode.

Chaos command structure is still pretty fucking stupid, to be honest. I wish there had been allusions to who is in charge of what and who is not allowed what earlier in the show, so that this sudden development of "Walkure are just glorified employees" would not have come out of nowhere.

What happened on Al-Shahal is pretty reprehensible. Without clear population numbers, it is difficult to extrapolate how many people would have died from accidents and exposure before a concerted relief effort would have happened, but there has to be a substantial number, just by pure cold logic. That 15% of the population have not fallen into a coma will have ameliorated this somewhat, but still. That experiment which resulted in this is another freaking war crime in its own right. Roid's gotta pay, but he'll probably skate by virtue of being dead. So should Heinz, by the way, since this has gone way beyond "he's just naive". He is the freaking king and the phrase "the buck stops here" should apply fully to him. He could stop this at any moment, but he still persists in following this, even to his own detriment.

And, of course, something really shady is going on in Chaos. Mikumo being a clone (if that really is the case... I also feel she could be a re-awakened protoculture priestess/idol), Lady M's machinations (the reveal who she is should be a big thing. Fingers crossed it's TV Ranka. )... there's a plot brewing there.

And we got another player, because apparently the protoculture itself has built in some failsafes to get some mayhem started.

Blagh. There is too much going with little explanation on so late in the series. They better step it up from the (still pretty) sedate pace of the last three episodes.
Old 2016-08-24, 05:55   Link #68
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Lady M's machinations (the reveal who she is should be a big thing. Fingers crossed it's TV Ranka. )
I know is a joke, but "Lady M" was alive since the Zentraedi war from what I could guess from Berger's story time tale (she's been looking into the Minmay stuff since then), so it cannot be Ranka?

Quote:
He is the freaking king and the phrase "the buck stops here" should apply fully to him. He could stop this at any moment, but he still persists in following this, even to his own detriment.
He is 9-10 years old. And yes, he is naive. It's not like he is informed of what happened, because well, he passed out. That he is doing this out of his own detriment just shows he's a good heartened child manipulated by an adult into killing himself for what thinks is the greater good of everyone. Sheryl was complicit to Grace without knowing what she was doing in the tv show before she tossed her away. She was involved indirectly in Vajra's attack to Frontier and all Galaxy plotting by her association and cover up for all of Grace's espionage, should she pay for this? Nah. Heinz has absolutely no idea what Roid is doing or even what his song does. What he should do is step down power, though, he is a kid.

Anyway, Keith's gonna kill Roid sooner or later, he's just still clinging to the memory of the friend he used to be. But their conflict is escalating. It's increasingly obvious he doesn't care for any of his plans.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-08-24, 05:58   Link #69
magnuskn

Yeah, I was being facetious. Also, with some private discussions I had in the last days, I was reminded how much I fucking despise TV Ranka. ^^
Old 2016-08-24, 06:04   Link #70
Thess

Quote:
Yeah, I was being facetious. Also, with some private discussions I had in the last days, I was reminded how much I fucking despise TV Ranka. ^^
Well, I don't blame you. I knew it was just a joke, anyway.

Oh yeah, if Keith doesn't kill Roid, Roid's going to perform a sacrifice to save Keith or Heinz. This episode just kind of frames that "tragedy" or whatever when Roid finally realizes he "lost himself" as Newtype magazine explains. Maybe when Berger betrays him (their last conversation certainly gave me this vibe) or because he awoke something from protoculture ruins. I still want to smack Keith with that hideous band-aid patch to have him finally mature and realize he should have taken the throne in the first place. None of this would have happened if he hadn't refused to become king because he wanted to fly and had estranged family issues.

Old 2016-08-24, 06:33   Link #71
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
He is 9-10 years old. And yes, he is naive. It's not like he is informed of what happened, because well, he passed out. That he is doing this out of his own detriment just shows he's a good heartened child manipulated by an adult into killing himself for what thinks is the greater good of everyone.
No, no, no, no, NO. Dude. NO. He knows full and well that he is at the very least mind-controlling entire planetary populations into slavery. He is happy and willing to do it to the rest of the galaxy if given a chance. If he is being manipulated, it is because he is letting himself be manipulated. HE is the KING. He could say at any time that he won't do it anymore, put Roid out of a job, assume direct control. You can't just handwave his complicity away. Roid isn't even doing a good job at manipulating Heinz, Heinz himself is willing to go through with all this even to his own detriment. You can call it misplaced idealism or maybe adherence to duty... but it still is his own decision.

Quote:
Sheryl was complicit to Grace without knowing what she was doing in the tv show before she tossed her away. She was involved indirectly in Vajra's attack to Frontier and all Galaxy plotting by her association and cover up for all of Grace's espionage, should she pay for this? Nah. Heinz has absolutely no idea what Roid is doing or even what his song does. What he should do is step down power, though, he is a kid.
You are being patently ridiculous if you think that Heinz doesn't know that he is mind-controlling people. Where is your evidence?

I assume you are talking about movie!Sheryl, because nothing you said applies to TV Sheryl. Yes, that Sheryl should have and has paid for that. She was imprisoned, if you care to remember and sentenced. She was freed later on and Leon was a bad guy, etc., etc. But, yes, I believe she did wrong in supporting the Galaxy espionage job.
Old 2016-08-24, 06:57   Link #72
HirouKeimou

Quote:
If he is being manipulated, it is because he is letting himself be manipulated. HE is the KING.
No offense... however, a little boy assuming direct control of his crown while in his condition could do nothing for his people. And unlike Gramia or Roid (or hell, even Keith), Heinz does not care for his "crown" like he does for his people. Besides, even if he did do as you say and rise up, what would he accomplish? Windermere is at war now, his people are in disarray and he is dying. That's not adding up who would actively believe in his power because of his state of health and/or mental capabilities (as a child). After all, he believes in Roid's vision of "all under one flag" and is naive of the consequences of said actions because all he really does is sing for them.

Quote:
I assume you are talking about movie!Sheryl, because nothing you said applies to TV Sheryl. Yes, that Sheryl should have and has paid for that. She was imprisoned, if you care to remember and sentenced. She was freed later on and Leon was a bad guy, etc., etc. But, yes, I believe she did wrong in supporting the Galaxy espionage job.
Um, in retrospect, Sheryl blindly trusted in Galaxy and Grace in both universes and paid for it dearly.

Spoiler for Frontier spoilers:

Quote:
Also, with some private discussions I had in the last days, I was reminded how much I fucking despise TV Ranka. ^^
Ironically, Ranka is basically responsible for why no one dies from the V-type virus now, and indirectly her "resonance" with Sheryl in the final episode (which if you read enough into is directly responsible for these "fold receptors") is the #1 reason NUNS decided to build a singing tactical unit like Walkure.

You can dislike her character until you're dead but she is responsible for a number of things changing for the better regardless of her prior bad decisions.
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 07:29   Link #73
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
I know is a joke, but "Lady M" was alive since the Zentraedi war from what I could guess from Berger's story time tale (she's been looking into the Minmay stuff since then), so it cannot be Ranka?

He is 9-10 years old. And yes, he is naive. It's not like he is informed of what happened, because well, he passed out. That he is doing this out of his own detriment just shows he's a good heartened child manipulated by an adult into killing himself for what thinks is the greater good of everyone. Sheryl was complicit to Grace without knowing what she was doing in the tv show before she tossed her away. She was involved indirectly in Vajra's attack to Frontier and all Galaxy plotting by her association and cover up for all of Grace's espionage, should she pay for this? Nah. Heinz has absolutely no idea what Roid is doing or even what his song does. What he should do is step down power, though, he is a kid.

Anyway, Keith's gonna kill Roid sooner or later, he's just still clinging to the memory of the friend he used to be. But their conflict is escalating. It's increasingly obvious he doesn't care for any of his plans.
Well, I believe Lady M is a title, not a person....
Old 2016-08-24, 07:34   Link #74
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
I have to say that Claire Puddle and Lily DuGrand should have stick around much longer so that Walkure has 7 idols instead of 5! Speaking of Walkure, looks like they failed to get Mikumo out and thus got locked up in a cell, but then it sees that Lady M let them out.

Meanwhile, I have to say that Mikumo being an artificial human being is so depressing. No wonder she have no history as if Mikumo just came out of nowhere! Lastly, I'm curious to see if the Star Singer's appearance has some meaning...
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 08:27   Link #75
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles883 View Post
in other words if Winderemere successful to conquer more 'successful' race it help him to debunk the possibility of his race is a failed experiment.
Frankly I have trouble explaining the logic for their military campaign any other way. Windermere might not be in a politically good place, but they were not desperate for anything. This expanded war effort obviously have a dimension of greed and lust for power, but the stated goal just seems so extreme that it had to have an ideological dimension to it.

Why do they need to take over the WHOLE Galaxy? Why trying to do something so difficult, when they could easily just keep their existing territories and have their armistice?

The desire to defeat and control all NUNs territory is illogical, and as such likely came from something emotional. The Windermere race and the government in particular, want to dream of greatness that they need to strive for. Live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse. That dream, domination of all other races, would be what they could use to prove to themselves that they aren't a failure as a species. All because they envy the biology of the other creatures around them.
Old 2016-08-24, 09:14   Link #76
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post

Meanwhile, I have to say that Mikumo being an artificial human being is so depressing. No wonder she have no history as if Mikumo just came out of nowhere! Lastly, I'm curious to see if the Star Singer's appearance has some meaning...
She's not an android but a clone. The majority of Terrans repopulated through cloning big deal. The original batch of Zentradi defectors are clones themselves.

The only one with cloning blues in the Macross franchise that I know of is Moaramia Fallyna Jenius aka Moaramia Jifon. She was an experimental body clone made by a UN Forces reactionary power to study the Zentradi factor. However Anti-UN organization Struggle used her as a pilot until Max and Milia adopted her. She got the shock of her life when she had to fight a clone of hers who was piloting a Combiner unit on the planet Susia.
Old 2016-08-24, 09:17   Link #77
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
At this point, it's all about Roid Brehm's ego! Can't blame him for being over-ambitious!

@ReddyRedWolf
I didn't specify that she's not a robot. I'd say that she was made via a test tube!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 10:23   Link #78
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
At this point, it's all about Roid Brehm's ego! Can't blame him for being over-ambitious!

@ReddyRedWolf
I didn't specify that she's not a robot. I'd say that she was made via a test tube!
I'm with Mikumo. Don't make a big deal about it as the majority of Earth descent are from clones both Terran and Zentradi.

Walkure's concern may stem from cultural taboo of creating intelligent life as weapons. The Protoculture created the Zentradi as biological robots for their proxy wars. There may be moral dilemmas of creating a clone for war like in the case of Moaramia "Jifon" Fallyna Jenius who was an experimental body. There is also the Sharon Apple incident where the effect is military use of sentient or sapient AI are forbidden. Macross Galaxy conspiracy didn't help as they are a AI hivemind that used Ghost as well. However there are non military AI which are fine like El a Cyberdroid on Macross 29 in Macross Musiculture. Colonel Burton with his co-conspirator Dr. Sazapi created an Evil Series from cells either left behind by the Protodevlin or the Protoculture ruins on Varauta's 4th planet.
Old 2016-08-24, 11:51   Link #79
Thess

Quote:
No, no, no, no, NO. Dude. NO. He knows full and well that he is at the very least mind-controlling entire planetary populations into slavery. He is happy and willing to do it to the rest of the galaxy if given a chance. If he is being manipulated, it is because he is letting himself be manipulated. HE is the KING. He could say at any time that he won't do it anymore, put Roid out of a job, assume direct control. You can't just handwave his complicity away. Roid isn't even doing a good job at manipulating Heinz, Heinz himself is willing to go through with all this even to his own detriment. You can call it misplaced idealism or maybe adherence to duty... but it still is his own decision.
Eeh, all that Heinz knows is that he has to sing or else people will die. There has been a stressed emphasis that Heinz thinks he has no choice to do this to avoid deaths which is what he doesn't want to do. He even lists his reasons because he wants the war to end. He doesn't know any better because he's a goddamn child. Secondly, Roid did manipulate him. He came around with this 'plan' after his father died and told him it was his "father's will." To a little boy who was starved for validation and affection and didn't have time to mourn his family and was handed over a duty that wasn't ready for, he had to take over that cause. Furthermore, there's never been show a time Heinz knows what happens to people when he sings, only that stops them fighting, yes mind control, but he has never seen it as horrific because he is kept in the dark (all your conclusions about the consequences of it would fly over his head, because a) he doesn't even know what happened. b) his brain isn't developed to perform this operation). He's been secluded singing himself to death in that "wind" sanctuary or bedridden. He has not even any idea who Walkure were, that's why he even asked about "who was that woman." If he had seen footage of the planets, any footage, he would have recognized her.

Thirdly, from his neurological development, he's not responsible for his actions. Hell, at that age he shouldn't even be capable of abstract thinking for crying aloud. So you're ridiculous to take into account his input as you'll be ridiculous to take into account the actions of a 9-10 years old who is given a rifle or bomb and tell him to go and die in a blaze of glory for his religion and people. Heinz is being used as a weapon, he's no better than a child soldier. He has no real power, if he did, do you think Roid could dismiss his doctor so easily and control the army as he does? Keith is loyal to him, so do the people but the army and the staff are controlled by Roid. Think of it as a regent of a child king, as the Holy Knight.

Quote:
You are being patently ridiculous if you think that Heinz doesn't know that he is mind-controlling people. Where is your evidence?
Of course he "knows" it on paper, but dude, do you think a nine-ten years old knows what 'mind crontrol' is and if it's serious or it's moral implications you're being ridiculous. Go and research actual child's brains development before you try to pass him as an adult.

To put it frankly, the age zone they chose for Heinz is perfect, because it's the same age were most child soldiers are recruited for a reason (9-11 years), the 'brainwashing' age. The child of this age is generally vulnerable to external influences, specially outside their family and very prone to peer pressure, putting the 'group' he identifies needs over his, plus the beginning to shape the moral character at the end (around 11 years, not earlier). The opinions and any logical operations they perform depend exclusively on the concrete contact they have with the world. Now if he were older, I would agree with you, but he's being portrayed as a child who is a victim of all this too. That's why Walkure wants to reach out with their voices.

Quote:
No, TV Series also had this. Movie Sheryl only knew about it. However, Galaxy infiltrated Frontier and provoked the Vajra attack on Frontier using Sheryl as cover. She wasn't in the known of things, however Grace was able to spy and put everyone's in danger because she was her manager during her tour. Why do you think they attacked the day of her concert and not before? Because Grace.

Are you going to blame Sheryl for this? Because she was used as a tool by Grace? There's little difference to me. Sheryl had good intentions to ask Alto to save Galaxy when they chatted too, episodes later, but well, you know how that turned out? Or how she pleads in tv. She thinks is for a good cause, not knowing any better. Heinz isn't even aware of the ramifications of his actions, he only thinks it'll be the best way to avoid bloodshed because Roid convinced him it's for the best. There's nobody around him to tell him it's not (hell, Keith disagrees but he never opens his mouth which would have ended this long time ago). I do think he should step down from power, he's not ready to be a ruler, that or have Keith become his regent after he finally starts growing up about his distate for the throne. I guess he desperately needs a Sheryl like Alto did to make him get over his daddy issues.

Last edited by Thess; 2016-08-24 at 12:12.
Old 2016-08-24, 12:14   Link #80
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It was very nice to learn about the history of Walkure, and how they grew and changed over time. There was a lot of nice little tidbits in here (such as Kaname's first meeting with Arad, seeing Messer again, seeing 2 original Walkure members that aren't around anymore), and Mikumo's introduction into Walkure was dramatic and effective.

That being said, there's now been enough of this sort of character/setting exploration over the past three episodes (19, 20, and 21) and I really hope the pace starts picking back up next episode.

On the Windermere side of things - Heinz is a child that has been brutally failed by Keith and Roid. I can understand feeling anger at Heinz, but there's only so much that can be expected of a kid his age. Heinz has been badly lacking family warmth and support, and he's been crudely manipulated and hurt by Roid. The people that should be helping Heinz have in fact been hurting him severely. Roid and Keith have horribly failed Heinz, and I hope that neither man gets away with it.

Roid has clearly crossed the moral event horizon (it was probably clear before this episode, but it's even more obvious now) and Roid fully deserves the bad end that is likely coming his way. At the same time, Keith badly whiffed on his moment of opportunity to set things right, and I think there's a good chance that Keith (and possibly Windermere in general) are heading for a Greek/Shakespearean tragedy style ruination due to the abyssmal actions and/or failures of their leaders.

Keith had very good reason to slay/arrest Roid right then and there - Roid admitted to killing his own King, which is an act of treason greater than anything Freyja has done. Roid's manipulations are also seriously harming the current King, for highly dubious cause. So if Keith was willing to execute Freyja (back in Episode 8), then why not Roid? Is it just because of Keith's personal attachment to Roid? Is it because Keith fears that nobody is capable of being the true leader of Windermere if Roid is removed? Is this really all about Keith continuing to run away from the Windermere leadership role that arguably should have been his anyway? Somewhere in all of this lies the potential for a very strong tragedy tale, and I hope Kawamori/Nemoto makes good on that potential.

I definitely think we're heading for a Grace 2.0 of some sort. Will it be Mikumo (possibly unwillingly), will it be Roid himself, or will it be something entirely out of left-field?