Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-07-21, 16:45   Link #61
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerGilga View Post
After seeing the movie fuck that trailer. The movie is a good movie and good Trek!

Jokes are good!
The bike sceen is good!
Even the trailer music made sense in the movie!
Simon Pegg, you are great!

Also Sulu's gay reveal wasn't SJW nonsense but good!
I still love that "Well that's typical..." line from McCoy in that trailer. Karl Urban is almost more DeForest Kelley than DeForest Kelley was...

You've made up my mind. I'm going to go see an early showing of it tonight, rather than wait for tomorrow. Shouldn't have any problem finding a seat, since everyone's going to want to go see Ghostbusters instead... [/sarc]

-----updated-----

Verdict: Really good. I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, and I'm sure people are going to picking this movie apart scientifically until it actually is Stardate: Whenever This is Set, but it was a really enjoyable movie. Sure, there was plenty of the arguably mindless action these movies have had that people seem to think can't mesh with Trek, but it made sense for the scenes it was in and didn't just feel tacked on to warrant the FX budget like some of the stuff in the previous two or in the SW prequels (yeah, I went there). And whatever else you want to say, Justin Lin is good at what he does. There's plenty of Trek continuity if that's your thing (and believe me, it is for a lot of Trekkies), and the character interactions are absolutely well done. None of these guys can truly fill the shoes of the actors who came before, since those original actors are so deeply tied to those original portrayals of the characters, but they don't try to do so exactly, and in doing, have started to make these characters their own.

Except for Karl Urban. I swear to God that man has a spiritualist on call 24/7 to channel the soul of DeForest Kelley into him...

You can tell that Lin and Pegg love this franchise and these characters as much as the fans do, unlike JJ, who can be a pretty good director, but just never had the love for Trek that he so clearly does for Star Wars. They might not have the same vision for the franchise that some of us do (and JJ is still clearly pulling some of the strings), but I doubt you can find any two Trekkies that have the exact same vision for the franchise, either.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2016-07-22 at 02:03.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-23, 09:30   Link #62
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

I enjoyed this movie a lot. The battle near the end going "Macross" caught me off-guard
Old 2016-07-23, 16:26   Link #63
DerGilga
Banned

So here a first review with little spoilers:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

waiting for these two hack frauds and Rich...

------
no Rich?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by DerGilga; 2016-07-28 at 16:43.
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-30, 22:55   Link #64
monster

In some ways, I think this was my favorite of the three. It's also nice to see some ENT-era (or at least close to it) references. And since they're going ahead with A, I'm even more interested for the next movie (if there is one), although the idea of changing actor for Chekov is a little worrisome as I enjoyed the actor's portrayal in all three movies.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 15:11   Link #65
Freeter
beyond

Easily the best of the reboot films. Abrams should stick to producing and let other people handle directing Trek.

Quote:
the idea of changing actor for Chekov is a little worrisome as I enjoyed the actor's portrayal in all three movies
Abrams said he's not replacing Chekov, so they'll probably write him out of the series.
Old 2016-07-31, 15:37   Link #66
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Chekov did transfere off for the Animated series (supposedly went back for more training and a promotion) Next time we saw him was the Motion Picture as weapon's officer, than he was promoted and made first officer on USS Reliant. So he did have another career that wasn't on the Enterprise....until of course the whole thief of the Enterprise business happened.
Old 2016-07-31, 17:30   Link #67
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Abrams said he's not replacing Chekov, so they'll probably write him out of the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Chekov did transfere off for the Animated series (supposedly went back for more training and a promotion) Next time we saw him was the Motion Picture as weapon's officer, than he was promoted and made first officer on USS Reliant. So he did have another career that wasn't on the Enterprise....until of course the whole thief of the Enterprise business happened.
I think that would be a sensible choice. Transferring to another ship/assignment would not be an unusual thing to do.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 08:47   Link #68
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Yep, out of the three films this was one was the most enjoyable, even if it dragged on somewhat at the beginning (though nowhere to the same extent as the previous films). Though using the power of HEAVY METAL to save the day really felt so Macross there

Shame they didn't give the Enterprise-A the square nacelles of the original version though, but at least it looks more awesome from the short glimpses we have of it.

Though the scale of the film definitely felt less like a movie and more like an extended TV episode, more so than the previous two, though it was engrossing from beginning to end even if there were lots of things I think were quite rushed in there.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 23:14   Link #69
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Yep, out of the three films this was one was the most enjoyable,
Quite the opposite for me, thought it was the most boring of the 3, with the 1st being perfect, or near perfect. I duno, something about the action didn't attract me. The action didn't really give me a thrill or an addictive-sense. There wasn't as many bad@ss moments or oh sh*t situations compared to the first two either.

I also thought the motorcycle scene was kinda lame

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 23:37   Link #70
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think the level of enjoyment might have to do with what one expects from something called "Star Trek". Exploration and interaction seem more Star Trek than an action film does. Also the level of humor is this one managed to feel more like the Original Series cast than any of the other films. I don't know if that was due to the writing or because the actors are more comfortable with the roles.

Karl Urban was again spot on for Dr. McCoy. Chris Pine actually seemed to be playing James T. Kirk this time around.
Old 2016-08-21, 02:31   Link #71
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I have to say that was easily the most enjoyable of the Star Trek new movies.

Feel a bit bad I couldn't go see this earlier, but it was worth the wait. The action was good, but just the story and the adventure felt right. It was a good journey for Kirk. By the end he really seemed to have found his way.

The humor was also really good. More Away Missions with Spock and McCoy please. These two just balance out so well when put together. Heck of an amusing friendship. And good job movie for getting in one line of "I'm a Doctor not...".

Felt like Star Trek which was all I wanted to see out of this. Nice honorable treatment for Nemoy. Handled that aspect of the movie quite well.