Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-11-30, 02:13   Link #61
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

WOO! X-WINGS!

Pretty cool new design for the s-foils.

But that new astromech droid..... what the fuck were they thinking!?
Old 2014-11-30, 12:06   Link #62
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
you'd typically hit the base after locking blades or just striking the opponent's blade and sliding downwards.
Which the user will know not to let happen. Locking blades does not mean letting the opponent slide a weapon toward oneself.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 14:44   Link #63
oompa loompa

guys.. GUYS.. those of you who have doubts, don't! It's going to be ok!

Breaking news : George Lucas is back on board for the new movie! The Lucas touch is going to make it ok; check out the new revised footage!

oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 15:18   Link #64
monster

That lightsaber ... I'm sold on this movie.
Old 2014-11-30, 15:23   Link #65
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Lucas is best. Lucas is god. of the ewoks
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 15:29   Link #66
Jaden

Quote:
Which the user will know not to let happen. Locking blades does not mean letting the opponent slide a weapon toward oneself.
But that's why you have a guard on your sword, to protect your fingers in the event that the opponent's blade would slide down and hit them. The base is where most finger-threatening hits will land. That's why I am puzzled by this design.

Surely you're not telling me that if you were the one smart motherfucker with the brilliant idea of putting a guard on your lightsaber, you'd intentionally leave that as the weak point and specifically train to not let your opponents strike your guard?

I guess I'm going with Itherko's guess at this point, that the "weak point" is actually made out of cortosis and he put it there intentionally to bait his opponents into hitting it so he can turn the tables... XD
Old 2014-11-30, 15:49   Link #67
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Lucas is best. Lucas is god. of the ewoks
Lucas later announce that he will bring back fan favorite Jar Jar Binks for the sequel.
Old 2014-11-30, 15:53   Link #68
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
But that's why you have a guard on your sword, to protect your fingers in the event that the opponent's blade would slide down and hit them. The base is where most finger-threatening hits will land. That's why I am puzzled by this design.

Surely you're not telling me that if you were the one smart motherfucker with the brilliant idea of putting a guard on your lightsaber, you'd intentionally leave that as the weak point and specifically train to not let your opponents strike your guard?

I guess I'm going with Itherko's guess at this point, that the "weak point" is actually made out of cortosis and he put it there intentionally to bait his opponents into hitting it so he can turn the tables... XD
Well, the idea is if somehow the opponent manages to get pass the saber, there is still an extra guard. That doesn't mean it's supposed to protect the base because an opponent's lightsaber would already hit the hilt before reaching the base if that were the case. That said, even if the opponent tries to cut the base, the time it takes to try to do that is still extra time for the user to perform a counter compared to if there is nothing there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Lucas later announce that he will bring back fan favorite Jar Jar Binks for the sequel.
Yes please, I genuinely like him. Although probably a child or a grandchild would be better.
Old 2014-11-30, 17:13   Link #69
AnimeFan188

Quote:
I wonder what the next step in lightsaber evolution/escalation will be?

Spoiler for Gif:

Spoiler for Image:

Spoiler for Image:

Spoiler for Image:

Spoiler for Image:

Last edited by AnimeFan188; 2014-11-30 at 17:23.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 19:17   Link #70
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I still feel that we will see Senator Binks at some point. Either in this set of films or in Rebels.

As for the lightsaber, I guess the guard is there to protect the hand from another lightsaber. The weakness is the junction of the three emitters since the hilt might direct the saber there. However it the hilt is coated or made of cortosis than that weakness becomes an advantage as a hit there will short out the enemy's lightsaber.
Old 2014-11-30, 20:08   Link #71
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Didn't everyone hate Maul's saber at first?
Old 2014-11-30, 20:49   Link #72
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Didn't everyone hate Maul's saber at first?
I'm pretty sure everyone thought it was awesome.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 22:28   Link #73
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone thought it was awesome.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure awesome was the first thing everyone thought upon seeing that. Probably for a few reasons.

A double light saber doesn't seem that bad an idea. Can wield it like a staff and pull off some flashy moves. And also the weakness of episode 1 wasn't apparent at that point. Everything seems awesome when you expect it to be good .
Old 2014-12-01, 20:40   Link #74
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
And also the weakness of episode 1 wasn't apparent at that point. Everything seems awesome when you expect it to be good .
Yeah, I agree. It was long, long afterwards that I started to feel cheated.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-03, 03:13   Link #75
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure awesome was the first thing everyone thought upon seeing that. Probably for a few reasons.

A double light saber doesn't seem that bad an idea. Can wield it like a staff and pull off some flashy moves. And also the weakness of episode 1 wasn't apparent at that point. Everything seems awesome when you expect it to be good .
I can't be blamed for liking it at the time. I was... what? 10 or 11 years old? I had just seen the Star Wars Special Edition on VHS (yeah, I actually do remember VHS) and so anything Star Wars at all would have been good to me, regardless of actual quality. Now that I'm older I see all the flaws and really bad writing and directing, but even so I still like the prequels in some ways for what they tried to do action-wise. Because even if they have terrible acting and writing, they are still GREAT action movies.

And double-bladed lightsabers are awesome. A great idea. Everyone should just admit it. The moment Darth Maul drew that saberstaff it was like the moment you first watched episode VI and saw Emperor Palpatine throw lightning out of his fingertips. So badass.
Old 2014-12-03, 04:35   Link #76
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Don't really see why Darth Maul's lightsaber would be hated.
Old 2014-12-03, 06:42   Link #77
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Stephen Colbert's Defense Of The New Lightsaber Is Awesomely Nerdy
Old 2014-12-03, 13:28   Link #78
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think one of the comments below pretty well would help fix any issue I'd have with the look of the saber. Maybe it looks a bit goofier because of the top half of the metal guards. Might look better as pure light saber with the metal just being at the bottom to protect the hands.
Old 2014-12-03, 16:07   Link #79
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Don't really see why Darth Maul's lightsaber would be hated.
I didn't really like it. I find it kinda restrictive. You can't, say, have one blade attack vertically and the other horizontally.

If you want to use two blades, dual wield!

Still, I wouldn't say I hated it. But that new lightsaber (which I've seen a lot of people defend as "canon for years", which really isn't the problem) looks like an invitation to gut yourself or something.

I kinda like this design:

Still somewhat dangerous to the user, but it doesn't protrude as much. And it solves the emitter vulnerability issue. (And if someone wants to say it's impossible to have that because blades can't intersect each other... that person isn't thinking in three dimensions).

Quote:
That's assuming that the opponent will always hit the base and that the base is easily destroyed (the latter of which may be true).

EDIT: Of course, it may still be a cause of self-inflicted injury, so that would still make it a bad design. Then again, these are magical swordsmen. That person probably knew the risks involved and had been trained to use it. It also may prevent just anybody from using it.
You can train yourself to juggle chainsaws. It doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it in combat. Your opponent might not cooperate with your attempt to keep yourself safe.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-03, 17:05   Link #80
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Haha that last line "You'll find out in two weeks when you've caught up with ME!" -slam board-