2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-17, 22:04   Link #61
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Honestly, I felt the terrorists were reasonably well-prepared, all things considered.

They had two aces up their sleeve, either of which probably would have worked against the vast majority of mages. They just were brutally unlucky to draw the very overpowered Tatsuya as their enemy.

Don't get me wrong, it is kind of silly that they just stood there in disbelief as Tatsuya casually walks through their ranks. But that sort of theatrics in anime combat scenes is fairly common, so this degree of lack of realism I can roll with pretty easily.

However, I don't get why the antinite didn't work on Tatsuya. This sort of thing worries me a bit, but I'm not going to get into it much yet. I'll wait to see what the next arc shows.

I'm not sure how I feel about Miyuki's extremely violent reactions to people threatening her brother. While it is a bit disturbing, it's arguably the most interesting aspect of her character to date. I mean, at this point, I wouldn't even find her worth talking about if not for this. So maybe her character needs this brutality element to her just to give her an interesting edge.

I liked how the misunderstanding between Mari and Mibu was explained in this episode. It would have seemed strange without that explanation, and that explanation served to make Blanche seem a bit extra vile, and Mibu less dumb and more sympathetic. All of that being helpful to this opening arc and its aims, I think.

On the whole, I found it a pretty entertaining episode, a decent conclusion to an opening arc. The suggestive hints in the last few minutes were nicely handled, continuing to organically flesh out this fictional world and the key players in it.

Introducing this Masaki guy post-credits was a very good call, in my view. Nice way to build up anticipation for the next arc, and start to bring some focus on who I can only assume will be a major rival for Tatsuya.
Old 2014-05-17, 22:10   Link #62
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

also, Erika. so fun. all her sass can't be contained.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2014-05-17, 22:20   Link #63
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
also, Erika. so fun. all her sass can't be contained.
Erika is definitely essential in rounding out this cast. They'd be a bit too formal/stuffy without her. Having her there adds a lot of color and fun to group scenes.
Old 2014-05-17, 22:35   Link #64
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
psychokinetic stuff?
Both Psychic powers and Qi exist in Mahouka....... Madhouse just madhoused them from ep1 and 3 though.

Spoiler for Missing Info dump: Qi:

There is a (very tiny) clue for other supernatural powers in ep1
Spoiler for Ep1:

P.S.
Spoiler for Another Notable Missing Info Dump(Ep3): Evil Eyes:
Old 2014-05-17, 22:38   Link #65
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Finally this arc is over! I can finally watch the 9 school arc!
Old 2014-05-17, 22:55   Link #66
rladls2121

But to think only six Magic School students were able to beat these anti-magic terrorists, and solve the case. Count only four if Leo and Erika did not do anything.

Juumonji and Kirihara were not bad at all either, they both proceeded smoothly without a scratch.

And Masaki at the end of the episode was expecting terrorist to get beaten by the students.
Just what has Mahouka world is heading towards to?

One last thing, this Yotsuba, more I think about it, it reminds me of Yotsuba Group from Death Note.
There is always conspiracy involving the Yotsuba.
Just my imagination though.
Old 2014-05-17, 23:10   Link #67
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
However, I don't get why the antinite didn't work on Tatsuya. This sort of thing worries me a bit, but I'm not going to get into it much yet. I'll wait to see what the next arc shows.
As the name suggest It's "cast jamming(interfere.. the author must love this word)" not "cast preventing"

It only disturbs casting making magics likely to fail but they're not fully effective against high class mages like Tatsuya, Miyuki and Katsuto who can still cast their magic even under its effect. Clearly, these guys(and most people in Mahouka) didn't know how overpowered elite class mages actually are(and these are just the tips of an gigantic iceberg).

Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about Miyuki's extremely violent reactions to people threatening her brother. While it is a bit disturbing, it's arguably the most interesting aspect of her character to date. I mean, at this point, I wouldn't even find her worth talking about if not for this. So maybe her character needs this brutality element to her just to give her an interesting edge.
I glad this didn't get madhoused.
Old 2014-05-17, 23:11   Link #68
gill

Spoiler for ep 7:

so next week we can see erika fanservice right
Old 2014-05-17, 23:31   Link #69
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Ah yes, and just realised on my second skim through the episode:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
And what does Miyuki do, when faced with a bunch of unarmed nincompoops whose only offense is having their firearms disassembled in their hands and staring in awe at the siblings? She activates a fucking wide-area kill spell (from what I can tell from her reactions) on them. (And of course [from what I think that after-battle scene seems to be saying] we get a hint that the only reason why they survived is because Tatsuya put a limiter on her casting-aid-thingie when casting the kill spell, without Miyuki's permission/awareness
Putting aside all your other 'comments' about what you think happened here, I don't think Tatsuya didn't put any sort of limiter on her CAD without her permission/awareness. After Jumonji came in and stopped the bleeding on the Blanche branch leader, Tatsuya pointed his CAD back in the direction he'd come from, i.e. back in the direction of where he'd left Miyuki to deal with the goons, and fired. Whatever magic he did then is probably the reason Miyuki later thanked him (whether he simply prevented their deaths or actually revived them...though the latter would make him way too OP even for my liking).

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2014-05-18 at 00:43.
Old 2014-05-17, 23:43   Link #70
InfinityDragonGod

Since some people are confused about Cast Jamming, Antinite, and Tatsuya's magic.
Here are some quotes from the light novel that wasn't covered in the anime that explained about why cast jamming didn't work on Tatsuya

Spoiler for Tatsuya's Magic:

Spoiler for Cast Jamming:
Old 2014-05-18, 00:41   Link #71
kenshinstyle

Well just as I expected, flawless victory for Tatsuya and gang. I'm not even getting into how the terrorist is stupid and their reaction or how the Tatsuya group is like superheroes cleaning up the villians of the day discussion. The problem is its boring. There are no tension in the battles, their dialogue and actions are typical, being all flash no substance. Basically, its "I can already see the ending". I actually zoned out for a while when watching this episode cause you already know no matter what the terrorists pull, Tatsuya and gang will laugh in their face and proceed to own them. It really takes out the excitement and I was left appreciating the animation which is the remaining saving grace of the battle.

I'm really close to dropping this but I hope with the introduction of Suzaku (damn they really look similar other than the mole), things will get a lot more interesting.
Old 2014-05-18, 01:29   Link #72
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The most important point when it comes to battle is information. "Know thine enemy" you know?
The fact they shelter themselves in this fashion is awkward as hell: they have no way to assess how many magicians are coming at them, nor -when-, and there is little to no way for them to ambush in this fashion (even if Tatsuya has the ability to render ambush useless).

The terrorists were basically making themselves sitting ducks because they are packed in the same perimeter, which is moronic at best.
You need platoons to effectively avoid major loss from a single massive attack. Several groups with effective perimeter and communication network would allow support and possibility of two pronged attacks.

Really, a single conventional grenade or a bombard spell would have been enough to wipe all of them without any possible retaliation. In fact, Tatsuya showing up like that was ludicrous in my book. It would have been far more pragmatic and effective to have Miyuki launching an AOE spell from afar, especially he could asses how many terrorists were camping and the distance between them.

I was watching the episode and thought, "oh come on, Terros! You could have at least set up some booby traps like the classical door tied to a wire that shoot spikes or bolts, the ovious wire trap that hide another trap..."

The arc was painful to sit through, the sixth episode being the worst when it turned the lead characters into Ayn Rand wannabe's mouthpieces. I don't know how it was in the LN but the animated adaptation made the characters come off as this. Even Total Eclipse's first arc, with all its "YOU JAPANESE DOLL" vs "LOL YOU AMERICAN BAKA GAIJIN!", was more entertaining.
Old 2014-05-18, 01:30   Link #73
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
How is showing regret over overreacting in a combat situation and potentially using lethal force when it was unnecessary not believable? I get that you don't like the show currently for various reasons and I respect those reasons, but please refrain from twisting the facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
"Plus, its no good to anyone if she felt "distressed" after." is irrelevant because it's not about the victims so much as it's about how Miyuki feels and why she feels that way. 'How' is pretty clear; 'why' is something we can only speculate about.
First off, stating an opinion does not equal to twisting facts.

Because I honestly couldn't give a darn if or why an uninteresting, underdeveloped, unrealistically written character feels a little bit bad about her unnecessary murder spree. The show has done absolutely nothing to make me want to care.
For another, because I don't buy into the way it's written. It's again very fanfic-y. Pretty sure in 6th grade everyone wrote a scene feeling and sounding exactly like this in their first time effort at writing something featuring their favourite character: they are extra op, extra unreasonable extra brutal "because that's so cool yar"

And it's not believable because even a person with a minimum bit of realistic sense would not have done it in the first place. Same goes to Kirihara. There was no point in his action and anyone with a whiff of common sense would've realised. I was just over the top melodramatic and to insert some nice but awkward, forced, no-stakes, boring action scenes for an artificial coolness factor.
Granted, they were nice to watch without context, but it is the thinly thought out context that makes this so weak in my eyes.
This scene is supposed to make me think there's more to Miyuki than we've seen, bla bla, but I don't buy it, as it's overly forced and awkward and a dead obvious attempt at doing so.
I am under the impression that there might be an overall idea or plan behind things, but the immediate execution falls short.

Quote:
They're not meant to be 'normal people', or even 'normal magicians', so why would they be believable?
They're still characters in a show that's supposed to engage the audience and thus their characterisation should not feel like chewing on a piece of cardboard.
If their actions and behaviour aren't believable in context, it's bad writing.

Quote:
If you need backstory, then this show/story probably isn't for you, given how it seems to be taking its time revealing all of it.
Missing the point. It's better than first year middle school writing that I need.

Quote:
As for 'likeable', that's probably a matter of taste. I personally quite like Tatsuya's sense of humour, e.g. How he double-teamed with Erika to troll Kirihara in this episode. YMMV, and that's completely fine. But if you are finding nothing to like in this series, then why keep torturing yourself?
Hence I said I'm probably dropping it. But even if I wasn't, and just wanted to be critical of a show, that would be my prerogative. I am still free to state my opinion on something I watch, whether I like it or not. Discussion thread, not praise Mahouka thread.
But yes. There's an element of taste involved. An element of expectation too. I expect my cast not to sound and act like they've been dropped a bit too much as babies at least

That said, I wouldn't be half as bored by this show or half as critical, if it just fixed it's mediocre execution.
Old 2014-05-18, 02:18   Link #74
My Zodiac Aries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinstyle View Post
Well just as I expected, flawless victory for Tatsuya and gang. I'm not even getting into how the terrorist is stupid and their reaction or how the Tatsuya group is like superheroes cleaning up the villians of the day discussion. The problem is its boring. There are no tension in the battles, their dialogue and actions are typical, being all flash no substance. Basically, its "I can already see the ending". I actually zoned out for a while when watching this episode cause you already know no matter what the terrorists pull, Tatsuya and gang will laugh in their face and proceed to own them. It really takes out the excitement and I was left appreciating the animation which is the remaining saving grace of the battle.

I'm really close to dropping this but I hope with the introduction of Suzaku (damn they really look similar other than the mole), things will get a lot more interesting.
If you want good action battle brawler, I suggest you to drop this series.
Believe me, every battle involving tatsuya and miyuki is not entertaining.
Why ? Yes, because "You can already see the ending".
If you want Political mind battle, maybe you can continue.
Old 2014-05-18, 02:28   Link #75
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Zodiac Aries View Post
How are the battles not entertaining? In terms of battle, plot and everything this arc is by far the weakest. And it's true that terrorists were silly in this arc but no matter how you look at it the following ones are way better.
Old 2014-05-18, 02:37   Link #76
kenshinstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Zodiac Aries View Post
I'm not looking for mindless action brawler like bleach. I just need the fights to be interesting and logical. I enjoy mind battles but I fail to see any up till current episode. The "debate" about the discrimination of weeds students is laughable at best and there isn't any political games going on. Maybe there will be in upcoming episodes?
Old 2014-05-18, 02:52   Link #77
My Zodiac Aries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
How are the battles not entertaining? In terms of battle, plot and everything this arc is by far the weakest. And it's true that terrorists were silly in this arc but no matter how you look at it the following ones are way better.
i think you read the LN.
i myself also believe that " i can see the ending " of the fight.
tatsuya is overpowered, that's the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinstyle View Post
I'm not looking for mindless action brawler like bleach. I just need the fights to be interesting and logical. I enjoy mind battles but I fail to see any up till current episode. The "debate" about the discrimination of weeds students is laughable at best and there isn't any political games going on. Maybe there will be in upcoming episodes?
i understand what you're saying. yes it is boring. i admit that.
slow pace, info dump, and maybe overpowered protagonist.
however later in this series, you wil know that Power alone is not enough.

except you want Dictator Ending like Lelouch in code geass. even though i also think that's impossible in this world setting.
in episode one, you see the Big Bomb ?
you will find it later, what really happen and why...
Old 2014-05-18, 03:12   Link #78
cyth
Banned

I didn't mind the battle theatrics since I thought OP protag will be OP, but Kirihara's subsequent punishment over Blanche's leader was completely unnecessary. It felt like slaying a defenseless goat. This whole operation was unnecessary and in hindsight dangerous. Of course, we have OP protag so they can pull it off (but I alluded to this last week). And then there's the "let's keep it all under wraps" cliche, because anime.

Also, that awkward moment about Mibu's confession to Tatsuya, that the only reason she can't be with him is because he's light years better than her (and her lover). Tatsuya is so fucking great everyone needs to say it out loud, to the detriment of their own integrity as characters.

I decided to give this series another chance, it was a mistake. If I ever get around to watching another ep, it will be purely because this show is so easy to pick on. I don't mind admitting this. Its badness is entertaining at least.

Also this thread lol what a spoiler fest.
Old 2014-05-18, 03:25   Link #79
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
Like this:
Spoiler for Text:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Also, that awkward moment about Mibu's confession to Tatsuya, that the only reason she can't be with him is because he's light years better than her (and her lover). Tatsuya is so fucking great everyone needs to say it out loud, to the detriment of their own integrity as characters.

Oh god, I had completely blanked that bit out. That was ridiculously bad and somewhat repulsive. Starting from the fact that she was in love with him at all and the cringeworthy drivel that followed.
Whenever things like this happen, I can't even decide if this show is just badly written or could it actually be this toxic.
And I agree on how easy it is to pick on it's badness
Old 2014-05-18, 03:28   Link #80
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I didn't mind the battle theatrics since I thought OP protag will be OP, but Kirihara's subsequent punishment over Blanche's leader was completely unnecessary. It felt like slaying a defenseless goat. This whole operation was unnecessary and in hindsight dangerous. Of course, we have OP protag so they can pull it off (but I alluded to this last week). And then there's the "let's keep it all under wraps" cliche, because anime.
In Kirihara's defense, the bad guy did have a weapon: his CAD. Also, he'd already cut down the mooks, why should the leader be spared?

But yeah, it was all rather silly.
Closed Thread