AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-05-03, 21:11   Link #61
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

eh, i've come to the conclusion that critics don't know what they're doing. they gave man of steel horrible reviews too.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 02:52   Link #62
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

That's because Man of Steel was horrible. Much like this movie. imo these movies don't know what they're doing. They're all trying to copy what Marvel Studios did while not copying them and are failing horribly.
Old 2014-05-04, 02:58   Link #63
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
That's because Man of Steel was horrible. Much like this movie. imo these movies don't know what they're doing. They're all trying to copy what Marvel Studios did while not copying them and are failing horribly.
I like how you state your opinion as facts.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 05:15   Link #64
serbian otaku #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
I watched Man of Steel on it's premier day here, and i liked it (there were some translation mistakes in the subtitle, but i know english well enough to understand everything without them). I'll agree that the second part of the movie was too action packed, had little of the story development, and thus was weaker than the first part of the movie, the movie was non the less quite good

As for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, i still haven't watched it, but i did watch the first one, and it was very good
serbian otaku #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 06:29   Link #65
HasuMasu
*Artist

I liked Man of Steel well enough despite not living up to the trailer.
Old 2014-05-04, 07:58   Link #66
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Spoiler for On the movie:
Old 2014-05-04, 11:20   Link #67
james0246

One the negative side:

-Electro sucked. What a horribly mismanaged character who never quite becomes boring but can never truly become interesting. His early self-doubt bears the kernel of a potential story-arc, but it is quickly eliminated once he focuses on Spider-Man, quickly reducing the character to just an action sequence generator.

Paul Giamatti's Rhino was not only boring, but a complete and total waste of time that served no purpose that couldn't have been completed by any random thug.

-Denis Leary was not used enough or effectively.

-There is no strong (or really any) central storyline, there is no parallelism or symbolism or really anything in the way of traditional storytelling devices (beyond some annoying foreshadowing on the part of Gwen). In fact the film feels more at times like a series of events that happened to occur within the year cameras just happened to follow around Peter Parker. Hell, there isn't even really a beginning, middle or end for Peter's story (i.e. the film), but rather a series of events that simply happen around him (entire segments and storylines can be completely excised without any harm to other storylines or events). That's not to say that individual events aren't interesting, but there is no strong tying element between them (this is especially true of the background for Peter's parents which is almost perfunctory to everything else in the film - it has no specific bearing on the events, and its impact on Peter is marginal...added to that, I never liked the specificity of Peter's powers being the result of his parents, that is not the storyline for Spider-Man).

On the plus side:

-Simply amazing score. Hans Zimmer really created a wonderfully bombastic and gloriously over-the-top soundtrack for 'Amazing 2'. Literally every moment was enhanced almost solely due to Zimmer's wonderful score.

-The romance is strong, even overpowering at times, but Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have such a palpable chemistry that is is easy to lose yourself in their charm.

-Glorious IMAX presentation, with strong and vibrant colors and clean and crisp images throughout. The 3D was a bit of a throwaway (a few scenes benefited greatly, but most didn't use the 3D at all), but there is nary a moment of blur or shadowing.

-The action sequences. From the opening chase sequence, a fun little romp through New York City, to the stupendous Times Square fight, 'Amazing 2' surpassed the first film is pretty much every respect when it comes to action sequences. I can't stress just how great the Times Square fight is: from the amazing visuals, to the great slow motion, pitch perfect score, and even the acting is good (Jaime Fox really plays up the tortured aspects of his character quite nicely in this one scene), all parts come together in what is possibly the best pure action sequence I've seen.

-Dana Dehan was quite good as Harry Osbourne/Green (or Yellow?) Goblin. Arguably, his is the only coherent storyline, even if it is on steroids.

-Certain ending elements which are totally not a spoiler but are being treated as such anyway. Thankfully, they still feel shocking and tense with some nice human emotion.

Overall, the film is far better than the original, but it is over-long, bloated on villains, and with no real storyline somewhat inconsequential. Still, it is a solid step forward. 80/100. (I gave the original a 78/100, but in retrospect it was closer to a 73/100, I was just more impressed that it wasn't as bad as I originally feared that I overgraded the film...I'm sure the same will be true of this sequel.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 12:42   Link #68
SummeryDreams

I like the movie, just don't like the idea of Gwen dying. Who will be Peter's leading lady next time? Too early for a leading lady to die. tsk.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 16:11   Link #69
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
I like the movie, just don't like the idea of Gwen dying. Who will be Peter's leading lady next time? Too early for a leading lady to die. tsk.
The thing here is that Gwen Stacy's death is pretty much a major element in the Spider-Man mythos, as that death can pretty much be considered to be Spider-Man's second biggest failure (right after not stopping the crook who would eventually kill his Uncle Ben). Also, her death in the comics was one of those moments that no one was suspecting. While Spider-Man films were probably still expecting her to die sometime in the current "version" of the film series, I don't think they were expecting that to happen this soon.

As for the leading lady for the next time, given how Mary Jane Watson was planned to appear in this film, I'm sure she'll playing that role in the third film (especially given how becomes more mature following Gwen's death in the comics).
Old 2014-05-04, 23:22   Link #70
james0246

^The last scenes occur at least six months to a year after the traffic incident. So plenty of time had past for a new main squeeze to be introduced.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-05, 23:30   Link #71
EmagEvil

Saw it yesterday night, it was no bad, but what surprise me is...

Spoiler for At the end of the movie:
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-05, 23:53   Link #72
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

I saw it 2 days ago. I really enjoyed it. It felt kind of compressed so the pacing threw me off a bit, but I had a real great 2 1/2 hours.

The effects, oh man. They looked really cheesy in the trailers, but were really well-made for 3D as compared to Captain America 2. Maybe it helped that I was sitting near the front, but they were fantastic.

Rather than Electro disappointing me, it was Harry... almost felt like a shoe-in, but I guess he has 2 movies to pull through.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 06:22   Link #73
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

What amazed me is that Electro's appearance is NOT CG, but done with pure makeup

Only the sparks generated afterwards were CG, but otherwise it is all good-old-fashioned practical effects, the way it was and SHOULD be done with all good movie monsters, just like the good-old Stan Winston days.
Old 2014-05-06, 08:54   Link #74
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
What amazed me is that Electro's appearance is NOT CG, but done with pure makeup

Only the sparks generated afterwards were CG, but otherwise it is all good-old-fashioned practical effects, the way it was and SHOULD be done with all good movie monsters, just like the good-old Stan Winston days.
The music that plays when Electro's on screen is freakin amazing too.
Old 2014-05-06, 09:01   Link #75
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
so getting electrocuted then fell in to a water tank + with the said active power cable filled with genetic modified electric eels which then bites the hell of unfortunate already electrocuted Max, in & out of the water mix......

then he got struck by lighting which then throws him into an electric generator which is then struck by Thor's powers then Zeus struck him with his bolts before getting tasered while standing on a pool of water filled with car batteries in a bathtub with a hairdryer connected to a power socket as he is attacked by cobras, sharks, & a swarm of bees............

the Mummy was born........
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 11:54   Link #76
zztop

Ever since I found out Jamie Foxx used to play ugly woman Wanda on 1990s variety show 'In Living Colour', I keep imagining the movie with an highly-electrified version of Ugly Wanda, terrorising Times Square with her electrifying ugliness!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aktPK28QFi8

"I'm gon' rock yo' world, Spider-Hunk!"
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 13:57   Link #77
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Jamie Foxx has been booming since Django Unchained? or am I just noticing him in more movies.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 16:01   Link #78
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmagEvil View Post
Saw it yesterday night, it was no bad, but what surprise me is...

Spoiler for At the end of the movie:
Spoiler for Bonus Scene:
Old 2014-05-07, 15:54   Link #79
EmagEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Spoiler for Bonus Scene:
I see... Thank you for your answer man!
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-09, 13:06   Link #80
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Paul Giamatti's Rhino was not only boring, but a complete and total waste of time that served no purpose that couldn't have been completed by any random thug.
It was setting up the Sinister Six movie. Nothing more, nothing less. The trailers overplayed his importance, but if you ignore that then there's really nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
-Dana Dehan was quite good as Harry Osbourne/Green (or Yellow?) Goblin. Arguably, his is the only coherent storyline, even if it is on steroids.
If he's not the Green Goblin, he'd be the Hobgoblin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
Probably introduce Mary Jane, while using Felicia in the interim to fulfill a similar role that Catwoman played in Dark Knight Rises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^The last scenes occur at least six months to a year after the traffic incident. So plenty of time had past for a new main squeeze to be introduced.
Well, the last scene is 5 months after Gwen's death, and she was preparing to go to a summer course in college that night. The traffic incident was on graduation day, so likely late May to mid June (given that it specified 2014, I'm going to say mid June given all the snow the North East got this year). So at most a month between the beginning and Gwen's death. And Peter was still mourning, so it's not like he met anyone in that time.

However, next movie will obviously have a time skip of some sort, even if just a few months, because that's how movies work.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
film