5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.98%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-21, 21:30   Link #61
BatouFTW

I'm a non-manga viewer and I feel sorry for people who see this incredible emotion and character development as "filler" because "it wasn't in the manga." Let me tell you, if you come to this stuff without preconceptions, the feels are over 9000. It's like reading ASOIAF books for the first time (before the TV show... much respect to TV watchers of that who are managing to avoiding the book spoilers). I like the person who commented that Eren is a creature of emotion. That is his strength and his weakness, as has been consistently displayed. Powered by rage and inhibited by love/loyalty in a zankoku na sekai where you have to be willing to throw away everything or you cannot win. Your "filler" is my "one of the best scenes in anime history".
BatouFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:31   Link #62
peskylemur25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
It IS different. Eren would be like Shinji if he was afraid of fighting normal titans or the female titan, if he never got to know her identity.

However in Eren's case, his world view was shattered. He always thought that the titans and unknown people would be the enemy, but suddenly, FOR THE FIRST TIME as far as we know, someone he trusted has betrayed him. It is a completely unknown experience for him. I mean really... it is not as if Eren was Ethan Hunt...
Reading the manga will remove all the surprise and season 2 might be soon?
peskylemur25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:32   Link #63
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
He's the author's favourite character.
The author has good taste in this respect.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:32   Link #64
kitten320

I dare him. He might as well re-write whole manga then.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:32   Link #65
BoyTitan

The filler was decent but heres a issue this anime has done for the 2nd fucking time.

Make others look good at Erens expense thus making him look bad. The anime made Eren go from having a reasonable and humane amount of hesitation to being a flat out stalling indecisive brat. As soon as Mikasa said the world is a cruel place Eren got the bigger picture at hand and jumped into action that is what should have happened here. Eren best quality is his resolve to never give up no matter the odds and the anime just snatched that very trait from him this episode.

Another thing its not some simple your my friend why would you do this type of hesitation its wait why would these people do this, what reasoning is there for some one to kill so many people, they are genuinely good people so what is it that moves them to take such action. What do they know that we don't. That is what pretty much everyone aside from mikasa who is about as smart as a blood lusted dog wants to know.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:36   Link #66
peskylemur25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatouFTW View Post
I'm a non-manga viewer and I feel sorry for people who see this incredible emotion and character development as "filler" because "it wasn't in the manga." Let me tell you, if you come to this stuff without preconceptions, the feels are over 9000. It's like reading ASOIAF books for the first time (before the TV show... much respect to TV watchers of that who are managing to avoiding the book spoilers). I like the person who commented that Eren is a creature of emotion. That is his strength and his weakness, as has been consistently displayed. Powered by rage and inhibited by love/loyalty in a zankoku na sekai where you have to be willing to throw away everything or you cannot win. Your "filler" is my "one of the best scenes in anime history".
I agree if the spirit of the manga is kept then we should enjoy it. And the author has a hand in this anime so he most likely approved of the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I dare him. He might as well re-write whole manga then.
Your favorite character got more screen time so stop complaint and duh each chapter is monthly and only 45 pages and he couldn't fit in all the detal he wanted it possible. And if you can talk to him tell him I want chapter 50 like now.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:39   Link #67
peskylemur25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
The filler was decent but heres a issue this anime has done for the 2nd fucking time.

Make others look good at Erens expense thus making him look bad. The anime made Eren go from having a reasonable and humane amount of hesitation to being a flat out stalling indecisive brat. As soon as Mikasa said the world is a cruel place Eren got the bigger picture at hand and jumped into action that is what should have happened here. Eren best quality is his resolve to never give up no matter the odds and the anime just snatched that very trait from him this episode.
Well just close your eyes for 6 min and imagine hearing mikasa say the world is cruel and then 6 min later you hear eren (trapped under a wall but ignore that) say yes the the world is cruel and then he transform. (Ignore the memory and attempt of remove stake though shoulder but wasn't that crazy looking? Lol ) yeah it weaken him but I still respect his strength and his ability to face Annie a close friend after accepting she evil.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:41   Link #68
kitten320

Just because Annie is my fave, does not mean she is the only thing I care about.
While I don't mind extension, I do mind the changes and one of them is Eren's intent to kill.

Don't think he'll listen to me
Old 2013-09-21, 21:48   Link #69
peskylemur25

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Just because Annie is my fave, does not mean she is the only thing I care about.
While I don't mind extension, I do mind the changes and one of them is Eren's intent to kill.

Don't think he'll listen to me
Just tell if he doesn't there a ring on my finger too u know Muhaaa!!!!
Old 2013-09-21, 21:58   Link #70
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
True. .... but both of them have this miraculous ability to spark rage and inspiration simultaneously inside and outside off the screen.

Say you disagree. I dare you.

And besides, Eren isn't all that useless if you put this image in context with Mikasa's face replacing Annie's. I am such a romantic.
No disagreements.

Actually I dropped this show about the time Eren got into the Scouting Legion. I was worried the pacing was too slow, as certain scenes were being stretched/shortened and the pacing after the initial "attack" slowed. Funny that the anime raced to this point already. My worries should have been in the other direction. Ah well. Waste of filler and script changes, in my opinion.

I have been keeping tabs, but I saw the writing on the wall early. This show is the second coming of the Claymore anime, and I'm not interested in going through that pain again. Unfortunately for a lot of these anime only viewers, they're going to have to learn the hard way why people like me eventually become manga/novel readers.

It's a pity. I was so excited when this was announced, too. Lesson learned.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:58   Link #71
Jyang

Am I the only one who found Eren "more human" because he hesitated a lot longer?
[Which to me is a good thing.]
Old 2013-09-21, 22:04   Link #72
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

The episode was well done, although since the next one will be the last I think it is safe to say that this series could have been better, especially since no mysteries are being solved.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 22:14   Link #73
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
No disagreements.

Actually I dropped this show about the time Eren got into the Scouting Legion. I was worried the pacing was too slow, as certain scenes were being stretched/shortened and the pacing after the initial "attack" slowed. Funny that the anime raced to this point already. My worries should have been in the other direction. Ah well. Waste of filler and script changes, in my opinion.

I have been keeping tabs, but I saw the writing on the wall early. This show is the second coming of the Claymore anime, and I'm not interested in going through that pain again. Unfortunately for a lot of these anime only viewers, they're going to have to learn the hard way why people like me eventually become manga/novel readers.

It's a pity. I was so excited when this was announced, too. Lesson learned.
I am not so sure if all hope is lost yet for couple of reason: episode 25 hasn't played out yet to signal similar anime-original ending will be forced upon the viewer and secondly, Production I. G follows a different set of standard than those of Madhouse as seen in the past. I'm banking on the latter than the former for further continuation of the anime. Rating wise, it seems it has exceeded Claymore by couple of points. How that will translate to BD/DVD sales remains to be seen along with manga/novel sales. I'm not yet convinced that this anime is following Claymore's foot prints even though some similarities are there in terms of manga publication.

Then again I tend to be a bit more optimistic at certain situation, so we shall see if your prophecy comes to pass or not. As far as I'm concernred as an anime-only viewer, this show has been phenomenal thus far. I couldn't say the same for Claymore after halfway point.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 22:22   Link #74
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

"anime original ending"? This sounds like a joke... If they went this route they would have gone for something more conclusive loooong ago. As far as I know shows with "anime original endings" usually start branching off from the original story line at least 2-3 episodes before the finale, and by "branching off" I mean going into a completely different direction and outright changing the flow of the story. From what I heard from all the manga readers that does not seem to be the case...

One anime that does this "stretching" all the time is One Piece, and it does not look anything like it would be ending yet.
Old 2013-09-21, 22:30   Link #75
Zburator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyang View Post
Am I the only one who found Eren "more human" because he hesitated a lot longer?
[Which to me is a good thing.]
No, I thought that way as well. I rather liked the length of his hesitation.

The thing about Annie is that she is the first instance we have of the humanization of our antagonists. Up until now, Eren's blood-lust is rather easy to understand as he does not view his opponent as people. The entire titan race is incredibly dehumanized with their bizarre features and human-eating, which has made them so unsympathetic that it comes down to a mentality of "them or us". He even refereed to the murderer/kidnappers as beasts that looked like men.

But as I said, Annie was the first opponent that Eren could not immediately carry that level of thinking against. Up until this time, he has only been fighting monsters. Unlike the titans and the kidnappers, he had spent a long amount of time with her throughout the 104th's training. Hell, the only reason he's that good at hand-to-hand is probably because of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
This show is the second coming of the Claymore anime, and I'm not interested in going through that pain again.
Hey, that's too far.

Spoiler for For Claymore Anime:
Zburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 22:41   Link #76
zRichard

I didn't like to things about the anime original scenes.

1- How Jean breaks his cover without orders (Though, it might have been part of the plan.)
2- How Annie looses sight of her objetive (killing/kidnapping Eren?) and chooses to follow Armin into Hanji's laughable trap.

BTW, does the forum allow spoilers in the avatars/signatures? I don't want to give any names but there's a user that starts with k and ends in itten320 with a spoiler as an avatar.
Old 2013-09-21, 22:49   Link #77
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatouFTW View Post
Good or Bad, I believe the term is still "filler" since it wasn't from original manga
I think everyone agree that this is a good filler saving for one or two nitpicking.

If not for this filler we wouldn't see all this cool 3D gear fight scene which manga lack.
It's great and save this show from turning in to "Everyone just let Eren transform and rely on him".
I love how the plan can still go on even without him (for awhile).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
He's the author's favourite character.
I also like Jean. He got the most development out of entire cast (with Armin being close second). In fact, I don't mind his fillers at all. It's just........so noticeable especially this time. I feel the need to say something lol.

I do worry how will they end this season though. I will just wait and see it next week :S
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 23:01   Link #78
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
BTW, does the forum allow spoilers in the avatars/signatures? I don't want to give any names but there's a user that starts with k and ends in itten320 with a spoiler as an avatar.
It's not a spoiler.
Old 2013-09-21, 23:06   Link #79
takai
Easy Muffin

That punch was long over due.

Other than it was a decent episode. Felt a little slow at times.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 23:16   Link #80
Kirarakim

Jean & Armin are definitely the two best written characters. Jean I liked from the start but Armin has really grown on me over the course of the series.

I also like Levi but that is more to do with his seiyuu than the writing (admitted guilty pleasure)