AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-10-05, 09:28   Link #61
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Loving the two science geeks, they'r eeasily my favorite bit of the show.

Never much cared for Coulson.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 10:25   Link #62
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'm going to give it time, because not all shows are as awesome and fuckwin as Person of INterest and Flashpoint, and even both had some episodes which were draggy.

So far, liking the show, liking the action, loved the Fury cameo at the end. He's like a dude who spent his life in that MCU, had many fond memories... and then he loans it out to his friend and it gets trashed. Note how Fury's face actually softens and is the closest we've seen him to upset as he takes in the bar.

Still, it's a little trite, but then Buffy was. And I'd prefer a show that takes its time to set things up. I enjoyed both episodes, and this is definitely going on my watchlist for the year.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 06:18   Link #63
ReddyRedWolf

Franklin Hall is of the MCU Bruce Banner Scientist archetype. He knows this type of power is too dangerous for anybody to handle.

He was going to pull the whole self sacrifice thing just to take out Quinn. Though Quinn would've still probably have escaped.

Hall pointed out the Tesseract. The event of the invasion of New York with SHIELD messing with it in the first place made Earth a target in his point of view. Though he does not have all the details like Loki is a jerk or Hydra had it once.

What Coulson did was cold. In saving himself and his team he just created Graviton's Origin Story.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 09:19   Link #64
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Nice episode, setup for future recurring bad guy I assume.
Old 2013-10-09, 11:18   Link #65
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Coulson is annoyed that Hall didn't ask Shield to help him. But Hall has good reasons to think Coulson might refuse to destroy the Gravitonium. And in the end the Shield crew would never have been in danger in the first place had they not tried to rescue him... Which means it is Skye's fault she allowed the rescue operation to happen at all.

All this boils down to SHIELD being a morally dubious organisation, because it isn't some morality based charity but a branch of the US government. In the end it is telling that people who are righteous like Captain America didn't get level 7 access, because he would have disapproved of how the place is run.
Old 2013-10-09, 12:15   Link #66
ReddyRedWolf

What made this episode great was Franklin Hall being a Well Intentioned Extremist. He has a point that Quinn has to be stopped. As Quinn does not have mentality to be responsible for what he is about to unleash. After New York he puts SHIELD in the same category.

In the post-Avengers world but really it began after Iron Man there is a race for Advanced Technology. Various countries tried mimicking Stark's tech. Then New Mexico happened.The countries backing SHIELD wants a deterrent with Tesseract based weapons.

Loki upped the ante with the invasion. Now everybody wants a piece of Advanced Technology pie. This is where guys like the Rising Tide, Centipede makers (AIM?) and Quinn come in.

They believe in technological progress and they see countries governments and SHIELD as against progress, keeping stuff to their selves. Even that Peruvian commandant in the previous episode sees it that way.

Its not that SHIELD suppresses technological progress but they want it it to be really safe and available to all. Which is the point of Fury helping Tony with the Arc tech and him bringing in Erik Selvig into Project Pegasus.

They don't want tech blowing up on people's faces or bad guys like Hydra possessing them.

Thing is it wasn't just aliens existence was revealed in the Battle of New York but existence of super heroes of different origins. Both Captain America and the Hulk are serum based, Thor is an alien from another dimension, add Tony Stark's technology.

Aliens may have armies but humans with the right tools? They can kick ass. So there is an arms race along with the want of Advance Tech proliferation for the advancement of mankind. Tech which is very dangerous if they are not careful.
Old 2013-10-09, 12:18   Link #67
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Coulson is annoyed that Hall didn't ask Shield to help him. But Hall has good reasons to think Coulson might refuse to destroy the Gravitonium. And in the end the Shield crew would never have been in danger in the first place had they not tried to rescue him... Which means it is Skye's fault she allowed the rescue operation to happen at all.

All this boils down to SHIELD being a morally dubious organisation, because it isn't some morality based charity but a branch of the US government. In the end it is telling that people who are righteous like Captain America didn't get level 7 access, because he would have disapproved of how the place is run.
I haven't seen the episode yet, but isn't SHIELD suppose to be an international organization, rather than just a branch of the US government?
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 12:28   Link #68
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
I haven't seen the episode yet, but isn't SHIELD suppose to be an international organization, rather than just a branch of the US government?
SHIELD serve American interests. If they were truly an international organisation they would have no trouble intervening in this episode's case. The fact is SHIELD is still serving America, and just go where it likes internationally because no one can stop them. Well, with rare exceptions like ep 3 when there was real red tape blocking them.
Old 2013-10-09, 12:31   Link #69
ReddyRedWolf

Well SHIELD acts like an agency of the US government but has an international backing.

One of the reasons why the Pentagon did not endorse the Avengers besides not making the US military awesome in the MCU movies is that who SHIELD answers to is vague.
Old 2013-10-09, 12:37   Link #70
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Well SHIELD acts like an agency of the US government but has an international backing.

One of the reasons why the Pentagon did not endorse the Avengers besides not making the US military awesome in the MCU movies is that who SHIELD answers to is vague.
The real answer is that SHIELD is just another independent and rival American organisation like the FBI and the CIA. In that they serve the country but treat other branches with suspicion.

And by the way, the Pentagon dropping out is the best thing that ever happened to the film franchise. We don't need their military propaganda in our fantasy shows.
Old 2013-10-09, 12:39   Link #71
james0246

Quote:
What made this episode great was Franklin Hall being a Well Intentioned Extremist. He has a point that Quinn has to be stopped. As Quinn does not have mentality to be responsible for what he is about to unleash. After New York he puts SHIELD in the same category.
I really liked this twist. Quinn will come back as a villain for later episodes, Skye has cemented herself as a valuable asset for the team, and we get the introduction of one of the Avengers bigger foes (though I doubt he will interact with the Avengers...at least not the Movie team). All around, good episode.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 12:44   Link #72
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Its not that SHIELD suppresses technological progress but they want it it to be really safe and available to all. Which is the point of Fury helping Tony with the Arc tech and him bringing in Erik Selvig into Project Pegasus.
But as Hall pointed out, SHIELD dropped the ball on the "safety" part of the equation when the Avengers film occurred.

And "Available to all"? I don't remember SHIELD ever said that was a part of their mission statement. You are wishing upon the organisation qualities it doesn't possess.
Old 2013-10-09, 12:53   Link #73
GDB

Quote:
And "Available to all"? I don't remember SHIELD ever said that was a part of their mission statement. You are wishing upon the organisation qualities it doesn't possess.
Pretty sure Fury said in Avengers that the point of what they were researching was to be able to provide free energy to the country, if not the world.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 12:56   Link #74
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Pretty sure Fury said in Avengers that the point of what they were researching was to be able to provide free energy to the country, if not the world.
Even before that in Iron Man 2.
Old 2013-10-09, 22:16   Link #75
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Tony is doing that just fine.

The issue is that no matter what claims they made, Shield never stops being an American organisation. And this means their credibility is dependent on America's credibility. And as Skye points out, currently the US government doesn't have any credibility.
Old 2013-10-09, 23:37   Link #76
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Tony is doing that just fine.
The Arc reactor? Howard Stark made it studying the Tesseract. That new element Tony created? He wouldn't have made it without Fury giving him his dad's files.
Old 2013-11-03, 05:20   Link #77
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will crossover with Thor 2

Also, i finally manage to watch the 1st episode of Agents of Shield.
Love it!
Nice to see former Whedon casts members of the show.

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2013-11-04 at 12:13.
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-11, 02:03   Link #78
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Man, I hope they didn't really kill off Peterson. It would have been pretty cool to have the cast enhanced with a rookie superhero. It's not like he has game-breaking level superpowers, after all.
Old 2013-12-11, 04:31   Link #79
ReddyRedWolf

So there is three methods of stabilizing Extremis?

1. Tony Stark finished formula.

2. Anti-flammable platelets of Scorch.

3. The Night-Night gun projectile.

As for Centipede here is what has been established.

1. They are using a gamma based Super Soldier Serum with Extremis with what appears to be Chitauri technology.

2. They use cybernetic eyes for some of their operatives as a means of control.

3. Like AIM they recruit veteran soldiers.

4. They have an interest on anything Alien like the Skrull equation.

5. The mysterious Clairvoyant is either their backer or leader in the shadows.

6. The Centipede project has three phases. Create Extremis Soldiers. Stabilize the Extremis formula. Figure out what happened to Coulson and add it.

So the ones behind Centipede is either Earth based in an arms race or well... Alien infiltration.

My suspects are AIM, the Leader , and "HAMMER" gone rogue.

In Iron Man 3 "The Master" was mentioned. Whether it is Trevor or not that is the question. AIM could've gone underground.

The Leader was caught by SHIELD. But after what Loki did to Project Pegasus we don't know his fate.

With agents going rogue in Captain America Winter Soldier and Winter Soldier himself the storyline could be leading to what is happening in SHIELD's background. Cybernetic enhanced super soldier does fit Centipedes MO. Agents going rogue could be some form of coercion.

As for the Alien theory Thanos sent more than just Loki and Chitauri. With his obsession with Death he'll want to know how somebody stabbed by spear powered by the Tesseract comes back to life.

Episode preview for next year.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-12-11, 07:29   Link #80
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Man, I hope they didn't really kill off Peterson. It would have been pretty cool to have the cast enhanced with a rookie superhero. It's not like he has game-breaking level superpowers, after all.
I thought I saw him in the previews for next season?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marvel cinematic universe