AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-12-22, 15:03   Link #61
Dextro
He Without a Title

Key (Maeda Jun) x P.A.Works together? HURRAY! KyoAnime is saved!

Anyway I'll join those hoping for two cours or at least split cour. Maeda Jun's stuff just doesn't seem to work when time is as constrained as it was in Angel Beats (I mean I liked the show... right up until it completely fell flat in the last few episodes due to rushing all the plot elements).
Old 2014-12-22, 18:24   Link #62
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
That said, just like some people here, I want a Planetarian anime, and a movie format would suit it best .
Planetarian's not even shown in the Charlotte trailer.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-12-22, 18:52   Link #63
GDB

Bets on whether this cover girl is the main girl or another "Yurippe" switcheroo?
Old 2014-12-23, 00:23   Link #64
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yay!

I love PA Works and Key making stuff together. It's like I get a 2 for one deal when I insult the series.

Also, silly hype trailer with no substance. :S

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-12-23, 01:09   Link #65
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well this is probably the next best thing to a Planetarian adaptation. I still want Planetarian adapted anyway.
Old 2014-12-23, 07:59   Link #66
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Someone wake up me from this nightmare.

(why why why why why why...)
Old 2014-12-23, 08:56   Link #67
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Key (Maeda Jun) x P.A.Works together? HURRAY! KyoAnime is saved!

Anyway I'll join those hoping for two cours or at least split cour. Maeda Jun's stuff just doesn't seem to work when time is as constrained as it was in Angel Beats (I mean I liked the show... right up until it completely fell flat in the last few episodes due to rushing all the plot elements).
Well, Angel Beats was a clusterfuck for many reasons, but one of them seems to be that Jun Maeda was writing. It seemed like to me that creatively speaking, the guy's writing has really been exhausted and honestly the range was pretty narrow anyways. It's a one TWOOOOO punch style that does what it's supposed to do, but alone it really can't carry a story. This isn't to diss upon his work (well, it is), but it's pretty clear to me that he seems to be the type that shouldn't spearhead a project alone. It was probably for the best that Little Busters had so many other writers putting in their style. Anyhow, the other reason why Angel Beats was incomprehensible was that it was written like a VN, and not an anime, and of course the time span issue. But although there's a common sentiment that Angel Beats would have been more coherent if it were 2 cour, and while surely it would have been less of a clusterfuck, I honestly really do think it wouldn't haven't been that great anyways in retrospect.

And to make matters even more amusing or worse depending on how you see it, this also involves PA Works; I mean Angel Beats only ranks no. 3 on their rank of "most stupid conclusions in a PA Works show", so umm....(Ironically I made a joke earlier on AS that Glasslip exists to make it look good and sensible; I hope nobody took that literally)

Though this is colored heavily by Little Busters becoming an anime, because Angel Beats really does look like a poor man's Little Busters. They even have a ! in the title.

The thing is that the anime wasn't built on any real, concrete concepts beyond the premise. From the moment of its inception, the big selling point is "omfg Key's doing it" and there was just nothing of substance to it, and that's just plagued the show in from beginning to finish. The show managed some good moments here and there as well as putting out the entertaining parts but it was clear the show was just chasing its tail and nowhere was it as evident as the titular Angel of which the show really didn't know what she was going to be or what she was going to do. And honestly, the way of advertising this new work feels the same.

So yes, color me very skeptical. Go back to the soundboard Maeda! Better you than Sawano! (Speaking of becoming stale...)

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-12-23 at 09:09.
Old 2014-12-23, 09:25   Link #68
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I'm try to be optimsitic and gonna think of this way: PAW can get $$ from this to fund their other better projects. Yep, that's how I will see it... how I will see it. /cries
Old 2014-12-23, 09:29   Link #69
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I do indeed think Key was always at its best when it had multiple writers diluting Maeda's more overbearing tendencies. Especially in the case of Kanon, as I always thought Hisaya was the best writer on that team.

But then there's Sora no Method, so what the hell do I know.
Old 2014-12-23, 14:33   Link #70
dark998

Masterpiece in production. God bless Key, PA Works and Aniplex.
Old 2014-12-23, 18:44   Link #71
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
So what's PAW's involvement in this if it's an Aniplex show? You usually don't see a company get such prominent credit if they're doing inbetweens or backgrounds.
Aniplex isn't an animation studio? They're funding and distributing this, not animating it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I'm try to be optimsitic and gonna think of this way: PAW can get $$ from this to fund their other better projects. Yep, that's how I will see it... how I will see it. /cries
That is literally not how it works in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I do indeed think Key was always at its best when it had multiple writers diluting Maeda's more overbearing tendencies.
Except that he wrote some of the best routes in Clannad and Little Busters (the latter in particular has a huge gulf between the Maeda and non-Maeda routes), so...
Angel Beats was a disaster because he had no idea how writing for anime worked (leading to him doing things like changing the script -during recording-) but even then it was an ugly and bizarre production.

I'm hoping that Charlotte tries to do less and is more coherent as a result, but... well, I think it depends on the director, really.
If it's not Kishi, we're probably safe.
Old 2014-12-23, 19:32   Link #72
ukulelembo
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Except that he wrote some of the best routes in Clannad and Little Busters (the latter in particular has a huge gulf between the Maeda and non-Maeda routes), so...
Here is Maeda's writing credit on Key's works:

One: Kagayaku Kisetsu e - Main planning, Mizuka route, Rumi route, Mayu route
Kanon - Makoto route, Mai route
Air - Main planning and scenario
Clannad - Main planning and scenario
Tomoyo After - Main planning and scenario
Little Busters! - Main planning, Rin route, Refrain, Saya route
Angel Beats! - Original Creation and Screenplay

Of course, for me will be also important whether he compose music for Charlotte. Maeda's works and basically Key's works overall aren't complete without his music.
Old 2014-12-24, 03:16   Link #73
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
On this link: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...or-2015/.82505 there is a tl of the text on the teaser....

Text: And so, in 2015...
Text: It's time to move to a new frontier
Text: 5 years since*Angel Beats!
Text: We were waiting for this day
Text: When a boy and a girl meet each other, their cruel fate begins to move
Text: The promise is that you'll come back.
Angel Beats! sequel then? The way it's phrased sounds like it.

Set by TheEroKing.
Old 2014-12-24, 03:40   Link #74
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulelembo View Post
Here is Maeda's writing credit on Key's works:
Okay, what is this supposed to tell me? He only wrote like four routes of Clannad (and AS) and... like a good third of AIR?
Old 2014-12-24, 09:23   Link #75
ukulelembo
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Okay, what is this supposed to tell me? He only wrote like four routes of Clannad (and AS) and... like a good third of AIR?
For Air and Clannad Maeda wrote majority of the scenarios and planned the whole story. The other writers just a little helped him and filled details.
Old 2014-12-24, 17:17   Link #76
TJR

Quote:
For Air and Clannad Maeda wrote majority of the scenarios and planned the whole story. The other writers just a little helped him and filled details.
No, each writer had their own character routes. For instance, Yuichi Suzumoto (Planetarian) wrote the Summer arc of AIR, as well as the Kotomi route for Clannad.

He was actually a full-time writer for Key and was among the most respected (for his prose style, it seems).
Old 2014-12-24, 17:48   Link #77
ukulelembo
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
No, each writer had their own character routes. For instance, Yuichi Suzumoto (Planetarian) wrote the Summer arc of AIR, as well as the Kotomi route for Clannad.
According to Wikipedia Air had two head writers. Maeda and Takashi Ishikawa. Suzumoto done just Scenario assistance along with a few other writers. Unfortunately, there is not specified who wrote what, aside from the fact that Maeda led the planning of the story. If you know more feel free to tell. Same for Clannad.
Old 2014-12-24, 18:09   Link #78
TJR

Quote:
According to Wikipedia Air had two head writers. Maeda and Takashi Ishikawa. Suzumoto done just Scenario assistance along with a few other writers. Unfortunately, there is not specified who wrote what, aside from the fact that Maeda led the planning of the story. If you know more feel free to tell. Same for Clannad.
Writer info tends to be discussed on message boards. I haven't followed the VN market in years, but the following breakdown seems close to how I remember it.

IIRC, Kai was being groomed to be the next major writer, but that didn't pan out (Tonokawa was then hired). Among fans though, Suzumoto was the rising star until his infamous dismissal from Key.

Suzumoto and Maeda kept blogs, so they would probably have corrected fans if misinformation had been spread.
Old 2014-12-24, 22:26   Link #79
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Writer info tends to be discussed on message boards. I haven't followed the VN market in years, but the following breakdown seems close to how I remember it.
That list is based off of EGS listings so it's as accurate as you're going to get.
Old 2014-12-25, 03:53   Link #80
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Kanon - Makoto route, Mai route
I always thought he wrote the Ayu route too?

Tags
drama, key, p.a. works, supernatural