Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-01-23, 00:20   Link #61
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
is it just me or does seem like people when alone are intelligence and resourceful. In a group the collective iq decrease by factors of number of people in group. the bigger the group the dumber it becomes.
Human social structure is limited to about ten to twenty people. In such groups people attempt to bring out their best qualities since they cannot feign or mask ineptitude behind a sea of others. Once you start passing those numbers, many people will effectively "cruise" on the waves of society with the minimum effort.
Old 2012-01-23, 04:20   Link #62
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
is it just me or does seem like people when alone are intelligence and resourceful. In a group the collective iq decrease by factors of number of people in group. the bigger the group the dumber it becomes.
The ''crowd factor'', even if you get intelligent and ressourcefull people, which sadly not everyone is.
Old 2012-01-23, 06:51   Link #63
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

To avoid itself from getting the same fate, now Fileserve can only download the files that you uploaded personally.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 08:56   Link #64
Kafriel
Senior Guest

So, why protect children from the internet when it's not something they should be using in the first place?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 09:15   Link #65
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Filesonic too? The Mayans were right. It's over. XD
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 09:19   Link #66
GDB

It's kind of funny, how sites like fileserve and filesonic are making their sites personal storage sites now. They might as well just shut the sites down, because no one will use them anymore. Especially if they just randomly went and disabled accounts so people can't even get at what they uploaded.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 11:22   Link #67
Ryusiangel

makes me wonder if they will also make torrent disable and how about mirc? where most anime get download as well
Old 2012-01-23, 11:44   Link #68
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Torrents are nigh impossible to eliminate due to their decentralized nature. Torrents don't even need to rely on single trackers anymore. And bittorrent websites require almost no resources to run, compared to something like megaupload.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 12:33   Link #69
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It's kind of funny, how sites like fileserve and filesonic are making their sites personal storage sites now. They might as well just shut the sites down, because no one will use them anymore. Especially if they just randomly went and disabled accounts so people can't even get at what they uploaded.
I kind of assume they're moving to this kind of system temporarily and scouring their websites for anything they can remove then reopening them and being actually somewhat vigilant about deleting stuff. Either that or they'll be like mangafox was when onemanga shut down. They deleted quite a few series off their site, and then after like a month or two all those series were back.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 12:39   Link #70
Solafighter
Hige

Fileserve and Filesonic just kicked in the private modus - you can only download files, you uploaded yourself.
Old 2012-01-23, 13:22   Link #71
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
The only thing I hate about torrents is how long they take to download especially with seeding.
Old 2012-01-23, 13:35   Link #72
Solafighter
Hige

I think this is not new to some people, but heck.

Old 2012-01-23, 14:43   Link #73
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
The only thing I hate about torrents is how long they take to download especially with seeding.
Well, on average my friend (with a top notch connection) can download a movie in 5 minutes. Me, I take 2-3 hours+
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 20:43   Link #74
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

So we're all torrents now...I see
Old 2012-01-23, 21:45   Link #75
Mateus

You can thank Big Brother - US Government for that, it seems to get 100% results when it motivates the Nation through fear.
Old 2012-01-23, 22:36   Link #76
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Well, on average my friend (with a top notch connection) can download a movie in 5 minutes. Me, I take 2-3 hours+
You exaggerate. A file takes a minimum of 10mins with a top notch connection if it's 250mb(average anime fansub size). But movies takes 2.5gb.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 23:29   Link #77
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
You exaggerate. A file takes a minimum of 10mins with a top notch connection if it's 250mb(average anime fansub size). But movies takes 2.5gb.
I really don't think he is...

My scrappy little Eee can pull an average of 3~4 MB/s (upload and download combined) on our network at work/school and can finish most files with a good seed in a minute or less. The only real delay is the peer search to find the best seeders which can take anywhere from ten seconds to a minute depending on the torrent and the seeders. And note that this is on an Eee for which the torrent software devours the already paltry processing power of the little guy. If I use a real computer with some bite to its bark, I can max out the connection to 10 MB/s.

...But, I use Usenet. So all my downloads take like 30 seconds at 10 MB/s anyway. Who uses torrents?

Just for some numbers:
250 MB file at 4 MB/s = 62 seconds.
250 MB file at 10 MB/s = 25 seconds.
2 GB file at 4 MB/s = 8.3 minutes.
2 GB file at 10 MB/s = 3.3 minutes.
Old 2012-01-23, 23:51   Link #78
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I think I gonna get a Usenet but I'll probably stick with utorrent or Vuze...
Old 2012-01-23, 23:51   Link #79
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I really don't think he is...

My scrappy little Eee can pull an average of 3~4 MB/s (upload and download combined) on our network at work/school and can finish most files with a good seed in a minute or less. The only real delay is the peer search to find the best seeders which can take anywhere from ten seconds to a minute depending on the torrent and the seeders. And note that this is on an Eee for which the torrent software devours the already paltry processing power of the little guy. If I use a real computer with some bite to its bark, I can max out the connection to 10 MB/s.

...But, I use Usenet. So all my downloads take like 30 seconds at 10 MB/s anyway. Who uses torrents?

Just for some numbers:
250 MB file at 4 MB/s = 62 seconds.
250 MB file at 10 MB/s = 25 seconds.
2 GB file at 4 MB/s = 8.3 minutes.
2 GB file at 10 MB/s = 3.3 minutes.
But this isn't always the case. And that computation is flawed due to the fact that 5MB/s isn't always 5MB/s. D:
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 23:58   Link #80
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Well my torrents go at a whopping combined speed of 300 kb/s dl 20 kb/s ul at best.

Hail Argentina's glorious internet connections.

Niker
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote