AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-04-15, 01:08   Link #61
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Honestly I liked Smartphone better than this.
Old 2019-04-15, 01:12   Link #62
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Same. Smartphone was better at not taking itself seriously.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-15, 12:13   Link #63
Konja9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Same. Smartphone was better at not taking itself seriously.
What is so good about "not taking itself seriously"?

I always hear the criticism "it takes itself too seriously", but I've never understand why it is as problem.
Konja9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-15, 15:24   Link #64
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konja9 View Post

I always hear the criticism "it takes itself too seriously", but I've never understand why it is as problem.
I don't think that they are so good, this is my opinion and I don't know how to explain it but sometimes with the isekai/tensei stories you only want to your MC break shit and win everything, as a kind of how to say it? not self-insert, actually I don't believe in the self-insert but as a kind of enjoyment feel different of the cute girl doing cute things ones, but somewhat similar.

This is, when the story allows the MC to make his will in the plot with theats that appear but you know he is able to overcome and looking good while it, in fact, that are a derivative of underground stories. Overall the setting don't take SO seriously and is able to relax and joke about it even about the MC being a gary stu.

Now, there is when the MC is a gary stu, but the setting is so serious that is not able to joke often and overall between the intent to make the MC looks like the best and win his way above everything but the setting is still stubborn and remain stern the whole thing become heavy.

Another case is when the story sell you something and give you another or you feel unsatisfied by that. If you have a revenge story, you know, make it worth it.

Is a shit explanation sorry, I can convey it.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-15, 16:15   Link #65
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

I guess it's like the difference between mediocre food in a fast food joint, and mediocre food served by a snooty waiter. I don't mind the former, but I'd be annoyed by the later.

(I'm not saying Kenja no Mago is that bad.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-15, 17:34   Link #66
Nymene

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Honestly I liked Smartphone better than this.
Umm......

1. Smartphone is harem. Mago is not and only has one heroine.
2. Smartphone's cast of characters doesn't feature male friends of MC. Mago does.
3. Smartphone doesn't have romantic pairings for non-MC characters. Mago does.
4. Smartphone doesn't have an interesting antagonist. Mago has.

Obviously Mago is the better one
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-15, 18:37   Link #67
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
I don't think that they are so good, this is my opinion and I don't know how to explain it but sometimes with the isekai/tensei stories you only want to your MC break shit and win everything, as a kind of how to say it? not self-insert, actually I don't believe in the self-insert but as a kind of enjoyment feel different of the cute girl doing cute things ones, but somewhat similar.

This is, when the story allows the MC to make his will in the plot with theats that appear but you know he is able to overcome and looking good while it, in fact, that are a derivative of underground stories. Overall the setting don't take SO seriously and is able to relax and joke about it even about the MC being a gary stu.

Now, there is when the MC is a gary stu, but the setting is so serious that is not able to joke often and overall between the intent to make the MC looks like the best and win his way above everything but the setting is still stubborn and remain stern the whole thing become heavy.

Another case is when the story sell you something and give you another or you feel unsatisfied by that. If you have a revenge story, you know, make it worth it.

Is a shit explanation sorry, I can convey it.
Translation: Sometime you just want a story to have fun instead of trying to pass itself as the next greatest dramatic epic while failing at it (Not that Isekai anime are anywhere near good at doing this).

(P.S. Just saying but I don't care for or have watched Smartphone, so don't ask me or direct comments about it towards me.)

[Edited because somehow it had an icon I didn't give it.]

Last edited by Chosen_Hero; 2019-04-16 at 00:59.
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-15, 21:47   Link #68
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Translation: Sometime you just want a story to have fun instead of trying to pass itself as the next greatest dramatic epic while failing at it (Not that Isekai anime are anywhere near good at doing this).

(P.S. Just saying but I don't care for or have watched Smartphone, so don't ask me or direct comments about it towards me.)
This. Thanks.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-15, 21:55   Link #69
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Konosuba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymene View Post
Umm......

1. Smartphone is harem. Mago is not and only has one heroine.
2. Smartphone's cast of characters doesn't feature male friends of MC. Mago does.
3. Smartphone doesn't have romantic pairings for non-MC characters. Mago does.
4. Smartphone doesn't have an interesting antagonist. Mago has.

Obviously Mago is the better one
None of that matters if it isn't executed properly.
Despite everything I've said though, I have been following the monthly raw manga, though I don't think the antagonists are THAT interesting.

The thing with Smartphone, I can turn off my brain and enjoy the harem hijinks and fanservices. Grandson tries to present some semblance of plot so I had to use some brain capacity, but honestly the plot wasn't really that engaging either so I felt it's wasted.
Old 2019-04-16, 06:02   Link #70
rladls2121

I don't think it matters to me too.
Surrounded by group of young pretty and beautiful females in their mid 10s, and in this series Shin is surrounded by lots of reliable adults.
On top of that, Shin himself can be potentially many more times more reliable than these old folks when he grows up.
What are the differences here?

The Protagonist is the most powerful and surrounded people that loves him so much.
No difference here to me.
In the end, this kind of winning in life is fundamentally the same, probably.

I'm still going to have fun with this.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-16, 07:57   Link #71
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Despite everything I've said though, I have been following the monthly raw manga, though I don't think the antagonists are THAT interesting.
I got to agree. If anything it speaks loads about the 'overpowered protagonist' genre that by being a minimally competent antagonist with more than 3 manga pages worth of backstory and motivation it makes them special and interesting.

Kenja no Mago may be above average by modern isekai standards (and I enjoy it as a light read) but it does speak volumes about the dismal state of the genre right now that series like this are above average.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-16, 09:11   Link #72
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Has anyone made a research of the increase of traffic accidents after isekai got popular?
It's their nice way of saying it was suicide?
Which sounds less awful? Truck-kun or suicide?
As per this story, MC didn't commit suicide, but rather he was so tried from all the over-work he did (and his lone-lifestyle) that he didn't pay attention to where he was going and ended up crossing the road at the wrong signal.

And as far as i know, in Japan, death because of 'Over-Work' or 'Workaholism' is becoming quite common, and is increasing even more.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-16, 09:17   Link #73
Konja9

Thank you for the explanation about "not taking itself seriously". I understtand better why it can benefit the perception of a story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I think these issues matter to a certain extent.

These issues have been overexploited in Isekai. Not to mention that most times have been mishandled.

So, even if these issues are handled properly in Isekai, some will still have the impression that it is just another Isekai cliche.
Konja9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-16, 21:09   Link #74
rladls2121

Smartphone might have been worse if the show is meant to be serious.
Touya was never serious about his own unforunate death, not even a second, and as he remembers clearly of his previous life and decided to let it go so easily.
What, did he have a loving sister, parents, friends in his school and does he miss them so much that he wants to go back there someday?
I wished at least, this series give me a good laugh, but it was not funny enough for me to enjoy.

It is not the hardship as Shin had in his previous life, killed by a truck accident that made me feel rather tragic.
And he did not think much about it, but sometimes wondered why he has these memories of Japan.
In his case, he is not even sure how to conclude it since not all is clear to him.
The adults include his "grandparents" are concerned about his origin, and these people are not just any usual folks, so it feels serious enough for me at least.
For now at least, im looking forward to the next episode.

Last edited by rladls2121; 2019-04-16 at 21:23.
Old 2019-04-17, 11:20   Link #75
Greenish Growth

Episode 2:

Kenja no Mago was only middle/lower tier for me as far as the isekai stories that I've read, but I still like watching the anime versions of the isekai novels. We haven't had many isekai anime compared to the number of isekai stories I started reading so isekai anime don't feel repetitive for me yet.

I still like school entrance exam scenes. I don't think we've had an anime version of the isekai trope of getting into an argument with an adventurer at the adventurer's guild yet...have we?
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 12:51   Link #76
rladls2121

Oh my god, those four soon to become students, blabbering magic chants and feels so good like they successfully used proper magic for the first time, what do they want to be when they grow up?
Really satisfying to watch though.

The angry noble seriously needs to take anger management class before learning magic first, I mean what in the world happened to him, and it happened to only to him?
Just look at his angry face, he is still angry even though his mouth is smiling.
It's his face, it looks really scary as if he already become some sort of abusive father.

The grandpa and Shin had no idea that this girl is trying to use Shin, and i have no idea what are they talking about.

But it is just one boy, even though he is one of those influential nobles, but still just a fellow student though he doesn't look friendly.
Unless, maybe he is purposely supported by the family to fulfill his purpose.
So why do these numerous people are only taking a sweat about protecting this one girl while at the same time something would have been already done to the boy too as in further warning or something?
This case became something like a national level, I wonder if things are really that serious to them?

It makes me wonder what kind of magic this angry face noble use?
Old 2019-04-17, 16:17   Link #77
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Looks like "common sense" in this series means something along the lines of

"You should know that the things you consider to be normal are actually very OP and can change the balance of this world"

rather than

"Ooh you don't know what money and schools are? Wow you really lack basic knowledge don't you?"

Anyway, this is very hit or miss, on the one hand everyone's slowly getting fed up with overpowered self-insert protagonists and generic stories set in magic kingdom #32767 or whatever, on the other hand this is perfectly fine for escapist fantasy that doesn't need that much thought put into it, and so far I'm liking it.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 16:24   Link #78
Huh...?

They are really cutting down on the "Ecchi" aspect in this anime adaptation.

As for the design on that other new girl in the ED(?), in the Manga she has quite the youthful look, but here it seems they made her look more mature.

Here are some artwork comparison between Manga and Anime (doesn't contain any spoilers).

When main girl was changing cloths, to give for the Enchantment

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")

Last edited by Huh...?; 2019-04-17 at 16:42.
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 22:44   Link #79
Nymene

What I like about Mago is that it has cool male characters other than the MC.

That element is a rarity among not only web novels, but also in past non-Narou LNs, where MC is always surrounded by females with no Bro at his side playing an important role in the story with main cast screentime ( like Mago's August ). In fact, the only Battle School LN I can remember with a similar element is Rettousei, where non-MC male characters have their own spotlight moments too to shine.

By the way, Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha also has a cool male character other than the MC whose name is Ray, and he's the MC's close male friend and good at swordsmanship. He is also paired with a female character quite early in the story.
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 00:00   Link #80
Kadmos1
≠epic failure

OK, having not the read the web novels yet, is Merlin considered a main character? I ask this because I am watching anime (Eng. dub only) and am wondering if we could expect to see Merlin as a main character.

Tags
not-harem, op protagonist