1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-11, 13:20   Link #61
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Nope, his face is clearly visible if you look slightly more closely. At minute 7:16 you can see a pair of glasses, as well as a haircut that is exactly the same as the kendo club captain.
You mean to say you can see glasses in this scene?

I had to pause and look very closely to see them. Hardly something meant to be caught whilst playback is running.

And a haircut that could be of any male character from Mahouka? I could've mistaken him for Erika.

You're being delusional if you think darkening the character isn't meant to obstruct what the viewer should know. But I digress, I should've paid more attention to the scene later. Or the whole anime. I do suspect that wouldn't have made any difference in the long run since direction and characters are pretty terrible.
Old 2014-05-11, 13:28   Link #62
Kakurin
大佐

Well, that's why I only use HD versions. In your screenshot the face is one big pile of pixel mud.

Old 2014-05-11, 13:35   Link #63
cyth
Banned

Quote:
You're being delusional if you think darkening the character isn't meant to obstruct what the viewer should know.
This back and forth was fun, but I have better anime to watch right now.
Old 2014-05-11, 13:42   Link #64
cleo

I liked the fighting scenes, but the rest was very underwhelming indeed. I like Mibu, but not what they do to her character. Her misunderstanding was the dumbest I've ever seen in anime. It made that whole ' let's forgive the poor little dumb girl' quite jarring to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Also remember due to the nature of this being a adaption it has cut a ton of the characterion moments. At this point unless they are directly related to the main plot of the series or arc they have been cut or glossed over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
*sigh*.....well, perhaps the director is also one of the guys who didn't dig deep enough to understand and capture the essence of the LN. It is highly possible that he just thought:

"Oh!!! This LN has a beautiful imouto who is a brocon, let's focus on that!!! I hear sibling's love is a thing nowadays!! Just look at SAO and see how well it did!!!"

also, "monologues?? who cares about that thing? I think the viewers prefer more action!! YES!! Let's do that!!"

I'm really not venting anything here, it's a thought of mine when watching the anime
As anime-only watcher I indeed get the impression that they think showing a cool setting, cool magic and cool MC is enough to make up for lack of characterization. But as SkullFaerie says, it's starting to stick out as a sore thumb.
Old 2014-05-11, 13:48   Link #65
bigdeath

Better anime to watch this season? Eh? Not really? Surprised how much some people have grown to dislike this show. But ah well, can't please everyone.

This isn't the best show ever but its at least entertaining me enough to keep watching. Nice to see Erika can kick some ass.

As a Batman fan, I'm not turned off by any OPness of the main character of this show or his stoic personality.
Old 2014-05-11, 14:36   Link #66
The Green One

Different strokes for different folks. Some are not going to bother to try to understand the intricacies of this show. Others have decided that it just isn't for them for whatever arbitrary reason that feels valid to them. No sense arguing really since the only really convincing arguments will involve spoilers which will get us shot by the long suffering mods.
Old 2014-05-11, 14:43   Link #67
Burden

The series is advancing well and overall I'm happy. Granted, I'm still bored, waiting for the real content to start.
Old 2014-05-11, 15:29   Link #68
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Some are not going to bother to try to understand the intricacies of this show. Others have decided that it just isn't for them for whatever arbitrary reason that feels valid to them. No sense arguing really since the only really convincing arguments will involve spoilers which will get us shot by the long suffering mods.
I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous. Invalidating people's opinion by claiming their reasoning is "arbitrary" and they can't see the "intricacies" of it?
So everyone is just to stupid for your precious show? Lel.

You shouldn't have to spoil a novel to explain why an adaption's writing is below average six episodes in.

P.s @Ultragunner that "minority" probably brings in a good bit of cash though I do agree with you that at least some of my negative impression is attributable to the director though.. He really seems to be operating among those lines. As evidenced by the stupid teacher vs the teacher in the novel.
Old 2014-05-11, 16:06   Link #69
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
With Miyuki, I think people should probably just accept that she's "A 100% yandere brocon with slight Yamato Nadeshiko tendencies, a nice character design, and cool powers. The End."

Like it or not, that's it, that's her character. It is a bit disappointing, but at some point, I think it's best to just roll with it and stop hoping/expecting for more.

If the other female characters were weak, this would indeed be a big problem. Maybe even a critical problem. But honestly, most of the other major female characters are pretty strong, fun, and interesting, so I can roll with Miyuki being the way she is.

Erika vs. Mibu was a nice fight, and even a bit surprising to me. It's good to see that Erika and Leo are combat monsters in their own right. And I like Leo more than I do a lot of anime "wingman" characters, so the male character side of this show is pretty good (Tatsuya is a bit OP, but his attitudes/personality is interesting, and I'll take his OPness over another milquetoast doormat anime male lead).

The antagonists are a bit lackluster, but it's only the opening arc. Spider-Man's first major mission out was against a random thief/murderer, not exactly the stuff of legends. Superman took on fairly generic mad scientists (and random crooks) that were hopelessly outclassed.

Besides, my gut feeling is that the guy in the red outfit in the OP is going to be a good rival for Tatsuya. That seems to be what the OP is hinting at, anyway.
Old 2014-05-11, 16:13   Link #70
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous. Invalidating people's opinion by claiming their reasoning is "arbitrary" and they can't see the "intricacies" of it?
So everyone is just to stupid for your precious show? Lel.

You shouldn't have to spoil a novel to explain why an adaption's writing is below average six episodes in.

P.s @Ultragunner that "minority" probably brings in a good bit of cash though I do agree with you that at least some of my negative impression is attributable to the director though.. He really seems to be operating among those lines. As evidenced by the stupid teacher vs the teacher in the novel.
You just proved my point for me. Everyone's opinion is only completely valid for themselves. Which includes mine. If you're calling me ridiculous, I'm afraid you're just naive. It's sad that some people don't like the show for various personal reasons but hey that's their prerogative and I respect that. Getting bent out of shape over who's right and who's wrong is just silly.
Old 2014-05-11, 16:39   Link #71
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

*pulls out the popcorn*

*munch, munch*
Old 2014-05-11, 16:53   Link #72
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

^ share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
You just proved my point for me. Everyone's opinion is only completely valid for themselves. Which includes mine. If you're calling me ridiculous, I'm afraid you're just naive. It's sad that some people don't like the show for various personal reasons but hey that's their prerogative and I respect that. Getting bent out of shape over who's right and who's wrong is just silly.
Right... Yet that's exactly what you're doing. Claiming people's opinion isn't valid because it diverts from your own and thus must be misguided and shallow. You're imagining an ad hominem that isn't there..:
I am not calling you ridiculous, but your invalidation of people's opinion based on nothing but the fact that you like a show and others have made critical observations.
The fact that you enjoy something does not mean everyone else just doesn't understand it's greatness, it means people have different expectations and taste. Which you claim to understand, so don't try and attribute it to things like "personal reasons, refusing to understand intricacies or arbitrary reasons".
Anyways, moving on.

@3R I agree. In all honesty, I am slowly starting to go into this show expecting just some very simple entertainment and maybe some delicious drama- it's been a while since Valvrave, so that might not be the worst thing! this will likely help with my enjoyment a bit.
I just find it disappointing whenever the main female lead, who is strong on paper falls into these cliches. Although that's not my only issue.. The direction seems a bit weak overall, still. That hasn't changed from the earlier episodes.
But like you said, there are others, who fare better, which helps- although it was disappointing to see Mibu get dumbed down this episode.
[SIZE="1"This does not bode well- maybe Tatsuya exudes some pheromone dangerous to the autonomy of females... RUN, ERIKA, SAEGUSA, MARI!! You still have a chance! (I'm only joking!) ][/SIZE]
Tatsuya himself isn't an issue either, I like that he's competent and most of the cast isn't too bad, but they all could do with some better direction Ah... Really, in the end, I just think the direction/writing/characterisation is weak, but with some strict cleaning up this could've been a very good show and it's a shame that it squanders it's potential like this.
Old 2014-05-11, 18:23   Link #73
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
"Oh!!! This LN has a beautiful imouto who is a brocon, let's focus on that!!! I hear sibling's love is a thing nowadays!! Just look at SAO and see how well it did!!!"
From what little I've read of manga, the anime isn't very different in that regard to this and I hear it's worse in the LN. I'm going to agree with Triple R here go with Miyuki being a YMMV type of character.

Quote:
also, "monologues?? who cares about that thing? I think the viewers prefer more action!! YES!! Let's do that!!"
Except there hasn't even been much in way of action either, just dialogue that is (for the most part) as dry as a 16th century old corpse. Maybe internal monologues in LN do make things a bit more interesting, but then this issue would be partly the fault of original source for directing all of that there in first place. Besides paragraphs of internalized dialogue rarely work in any visual medium unless backup by the strength pf very good writing and colorfully personalities anyway.
Old 2014-05-11, 19:09   Link #74
IceHism

I disagree, the anime completely destroyed everything about Miyuki. I'm not getting the same impression of her in the anime compared to the LN outside of being a brocon. Let's not just leave it at that, the anime has destroyed almost all the characters already. Mahouka is simply too ambitious to adapt as in the format of the series is simply not good for a visual medium.

I think its kind of funny how people are saying that there indeed is a right opinion. As far as I'm concerned, that's not the definition of an opinion.
Old 2014-05-11, 19:45   Link #75
itisjustme

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I disagree, the anime completely destroyed everything about Miyuki. I'm not getting the same impression of her in the anime compared to the LN outside of being a brocon. Let's not just leave it at that, the anime has destroyed almost all the characters already. Mahouka is simply too ambitious to adapt as in the format of the series is simply not good for a visual medium.

I think its kind of funny how people are saying that there indeed is a right opinion. As far as I'm concerned, that's not the definition of an opinion.
In what sense is Mahouka ambitious?

Also Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Ghost in the Shell, the Twelve Kingdoms, there are outstanding examples of ambitious animes seamlessly blending complex plot with world building, character building and gripping narrative all in one (plus some action in GiTS's case).
Old 2014-05-11, 19:58   Link #76
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
In what sense is Mahouka ambitious?

Also Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Ghost in the Shell, the Twelve Kingdoms, there are outstanding examples of ambitious animes seamlessly blending complex plot with world building, character building and gripping narrative all in one (plus some action in GiTS's case).
Ummmmm, i already stated it. The format of how the story is presented is not good for a visual medium. It's not about the content. It's about the presentation.
Old 2014-05-11, 20:05   Link #77
itisjustme

Aha, yeah, I think the studio should have taken way bigger liberties with the story structure to make it work in anime form tbh.
Old 2014-05-11, 20:07   Link #78
HandofFate

meh, there's more to Miyuki than how the anime presents it compared to the LN.

But there's not that much more to her lol. At least not at this story point.
Old 2014-05-11, 20:29   Link #79
guestuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
meh, there's more to Miyuki than how the anime presents it compared to the LN.

But there's not that much more to her lol. At least not at this story point.
we would all think the same if we did not read the light novel
Old 2014-05-11, 20:34   Link #80
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Its a little concerning that everyone else who isn't part of the main cast gets portrayed as completely incompetent and stupid (all of that awesomeness seem to have been redirected into Tatsuya alone). The "terrorist" group launching an attack without consideration of magic user's counterattacks, the "weed" students who could not even put up proper examples of why they felt discriminated against during the debate, and then the ultimate scapegoat, Mibu, who went from good intentions, easy to manipulate person to a downright stupid one.
This, really it does drive me crazy how it makes everyone that isn't the main cast to be completely stupid and weak before them. Especially with how obnoxious Tatsuya is with the whole ''the sweet taste of equality" thing
Got me rooting for the antagonists(Mibu mainly)
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Closed Thread