5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 17.24%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 6.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-15, 08:31   Link #61
Father Hentai

Too much to squeeze unless you want a macros marathon wit 50 episodes.
Old 2016-08-15, 08:55   Link #62
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Too much to squeeze unless you want a macros marathon wit 50 episodes.
Which has been a worry some of us already talked about as soon as the preview episode came out.... too many characters to tell good stories about all of them. And, voilá, we really did get flat characters and now, on top of that, a bunch of conspiracies within conspiracies nobody asked for.

My hopes that this series will end with a satisfying conclusion to all of this are pretty low at this point. Hell, even Frontier, which had a much more cohesive story overall, ran out of runway at the end and had to rush a little bit. This here... looks like story disaster, unless Kawamori really cranks it up like Game of Thrones season 6 and starts knocking down plot threads every episode now.
Old 2016-08-15, 09:02   Link #63
HirouKeimou

I keep hoping a movie will follow to realign things into a smoother conclusion. This... the series is dragging.
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 09:39   Link #64
darkplatform

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Which has been a worry some of us already talked about as soon as the preview episode came out.... too many characters to tell good stories about all of them. And, voilá, we really did get flat characters and now, on top of that, a bunch of conspiracies within conspiracies nobody asked for.

My hopes that this series will end with a satisfying conclusion to all of this are pretty low at this point. Hell, even Frontier, which had a much more cohesive story overall, ran out of runway at the end and had to rush a little bit. This here... looks like story disaster, unless Kawamori really cranks it up like Game of Thrones season 6 and starts knocking down plot threads every episode now.
You still have hope, magnus? Well, there is this thing called the bigger picture.

Because the VAs have recorded all the episodes months ago and a single cohesive story is what the writers have in mind, not the weekly stuff we receive.

Maybe everything feels better and makes more sense watching it in one go, maybe not. Time will tell.
darkplatform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 11:38   Link #65
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Spoiler for Directed at Thess, shit's too long:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
Right now, she's logically approaching things cautiously.

(...)

In other words, right now, she's concerned about Hayate directly because he's a member of the Delta squad (which means he has no choice but to fly) and because she cares about him personally. The biggest issue she faces is if she discovers her songs do cause him (and others) to go Var, what will she do then? After all, singing is all she has for communication for this war right now. And, if her songs do this, and Arad believes she'll still be of use, Hayate will need to quit flying so he doesn't end up like Messar. It's a no win situation, really.
Her comrades who have proven on multiple occasion to be really competent people are trying to do something about it / help her while Freyja's just choosing to clam up. She's literally choosing to leave rather than sort the issue out.

That's not a logical approach, it's an emotional one :/
I'm sorry but I can't give her a pass on this one.

Quote:
As for singing at Hayate, I don't believe you're right. She does, in episode 17, sing at him; however, in episode 18, she's more or less trying to help how she can prior to becoming overwhelmed by the ruins. Episode 13 is a good example of Freyja wishing to help by reaching him with her song when he's down. Until his birthday present in episode 16, Freyja never once did sing directly for or at Hayate.
But on 18 there's a very visual depiction of her lassoing her music onto him...?

Mikumo has tried to have Freyja direct her music at Hayate from the very start and that had stuck. If anything from the show's pseudo-data it's been shown that Freyja only seems to have her abilities when she's directing them at something. Asides from singing for the cat people because...frankly the plot of that episode demanded it, there really wasn't any depiction of her directing her music to anywhere else, while the Hayate pile has been growing exponentially.

Edit: I'd also like to add, that yes Freyja did seem to originally get some triggers from Mikumo, but honestly people weren't so against the Mirage to Hayate ratio during those times either.

Quote:
We're not blind to the show's faults; it's easier to pinpoint Mirage because hers is so obvious.
It's...really not? Her worst fault right now is a lack of presence in an over crowded show. As far as actions are concerned she hasn't really done anything wrong?

Quote:
And, also, for this factor, I'd like to add in -- because no one noticed -- why is no one in the cast telling Hayate about Berger insisting music is a weapon an episode prior so Hayate will maybe come to understand why Freyja is 100% concerned about this "experiment"?
I have no idea. Just another mystery in the land of Delta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplatform View Post
I agree with most of what you say ippus just like many others probably, but to be honest in my case I have no mood or strength to be discussing Delta, might sound harsh but feels like a waste of potential barely "worthy" of the name Macross particularly in the people and relationship aspect. There is no such thing as natural flow here ("3 triangles" yeah, magnificent idea )

(...)
Haha;; I've mentioned this before, but Frontier wasn't all that well written either- but at the very least it was understandable (And had Sheryl Nome and gorgeous songs...and clothes...hnggg the clothes). Delta has....so many problems.

That being said, Delta's the only thing I'm watching right now because I think I'm steadily outgrowing anime as a whole. Mangas are still fine but Anime....sigh. Because of that I have a bit of quota to discuss. Just a bit. Mostly because I feel like Mirage's getting a lot of flack despite not being one of the bigger offenses to occur around the show...

Last edited by ippus; 2016-08-15 at 12:49.
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 12:22   Link #66
darkplatform

That was a good read ippus, gj and thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
Delta's the only thing I'm watching right now because I think I'm steadily outgrowing anime as a whole.
Same. We are getting old
Quote:
Mostly because I feel like Mirage's getting a lot of flack despite not being one of the bigger offenses to occur around the show...
Ehehe most like without her, I would be almost out of reasons to follow every sunday.
'Characters' does it for me and Mirage is one of the few that left an impression by becoming the most grounded one. 2 months straight they keep exposing her heart only for show or to be used for others, that's a bit frustrating after one time let alone multiple weeks.

Messer was getting very interesting (in sure path to be a fan favorite imo) and they had to kill him off so suddenly, a pity.

And Kaname and Mikumo too. Even if she's only a walking mystery device, she keeps things fresh when around.
Old 2016-08-15, 13:17   Link #67
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Ehehe most like without her, I would be almost out of reasons to follow every sunday.
'Characters' does it for me and Mirage is one of the few that left an impression by becoming the most grounded one. 2 months straight they keep exposing her heart only for show or to be used for others, that's a bit frustrating after one time let alone multiple weeks.

Messer was getting very interesting (in sure path to be a fan favorite imo) and they had to kill him off so suddenly, a pity.

And Kaname and Mikumo too. Even if she's only a walking mystery device, she keeps things fresh when around.
I've removed so many ranty paragraphs in my previous responses that I can't really remember what I've managed to put out or not (I know, it's hard to believe given how long winded I can be) But Messer was just...

Messer ruined Hayate is how I feel.

Messer took the rivalry with the opposing faction elite which is usually set for the main protagonist, he did little to actually mentor Hayate to make his loss worthwhile (or affordable) and just had all the interesting romance angst that it really makes Hayate look like a doofus. The fact that it's virtually close to confirmed that Hayate didn't really earn the right to be an elite pilot out of any actual skill only makes it worse (Freyja pretty much ELO boosted him. For clarification I'm not saying he's a bad pilot, he just didn't earn the spot as the superior one cus magic)

I also love Kaname and Mikumo so...I dunno. In a better Macross Delta I would have much preferred a friendly rivalry between Mikumo and Kaname (Which would have been between the ethereal star and the girl whose career never took flight), a story straight up about the Walkure doing their thing, with a two guy one girl triangle going on on Kaname's end. I mean the dynamics are all there yet they stuck on these additional kids who really would have been better off not being forced into the story. (Yes I would remove Mirage as well in this scenario, because as much as I like her, the existing story was great as it is without all this external bullcrap)

The connection with the windermeres are already in place because Mikumo has memories of having been in windermere and she's currently getting part of the Sense of Self vs Being a weapon storyline too...

Like...AHGGGGGGGGGJASHGDAJSYDGGSYAD

edit:
MESSER EVEN HAD VAR.
Like I'm sorry but Hayate is jsut a less impressive bootleg Messer.
AHGGHAJDGASYD
Old 2016-08-15, 13:50   Link #68
darkplatform

I see your point.
Well, if Messer was still around he could have kept the fighting and training of Hayate and the team in better shape. He only needed to be seriously wounded and take a backseat, not dead.
Old 2016-08-15, 13:55   Link #69
Thess

Quote:
I would count at least 4 times where she saved him.
That's in episode 3, 5 (at least she tried), 13 and 20.
She never saved him in episode 3. Are you mistaking Mirage by Freyja? Trying doesn't count either. She saved him twice. And only once since he enlisted.

Quote:
It's more than comradism because they hang along after duty and they share private time. That's why they are not only "ordered comrades"but also friends. The problem is that she gets burried under the screentime because of the pilot/singer duo. There is currently not much left and maybe this gets screentime with the next episodes.
I don't think her problem is the lack of screentime with Hayate, but the lack of screentime with anyone else. When she does interact with other people, it looks like she's just witnessing an infodump of that character rather than actually, you know, interacting with them as a person like Hayate and Freyja do. Hayate's relationship with Messer and Chuck, for example, felt organic. While Mirage acting around Kaname or Mikumo feel she's just there for us, the audience, learn about those girls rather than Mirage exposing sides of her personality by interacting with others. Her main issue is that she seems to completely orbit around the triangle. You remove the triangle relate things, and she's got as much weight as Chuck in Macross Delta. That's why I called her a plot device. Because this scene could have been good, if they had actually bothered to address her own issues and make it resolve as part of her arc in an organic way. Instead, it's rushed and made because it's convenient for Hayate and Freyja.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 14:15   Link #70
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
I see your point.
Well, if Messer was still around he could have kept the fighting and training of Hayate and the team in better shape. He only needed to be seriously wounded and take a backseat, not dead.
That too :/ Hell he even could have pulled a Tezuka (PoT) and just become a retired fighter slash mentor instead. He was being moved to a desk job as is anyway. It would have eased off a lot of Hayate's crappy points too.

I think what happened was...they didn't want to have to deal with more of that external triangle (Though why is absolutely beyond me) as well as the extra hassle of building a bond between Hayate and Messer. Magic is always an easy way out >_> Delta takes a lot of easy way outs.
Old 2016-08-15, 14:18   Link #71
Father Hentai

Quote:
I see your point.
Welcome to Macross where the Ace pilot mostly dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
She never saved him in episode 3. Are you mistaking Mirage by Freyja? Trying doesn't count either. She saved him twice. And only once
since he enlisted.
Hayate in episode 3: "I'm sorry. You were right. Just being able to fly isn't enough. But I still don't like the shooting business, so I'll do things my way!

I'm looking forward to your classes tomorrow, instructor Mirage!"

The lesson she gives him is the reason why he survives each battle. By giving him this lesson and the trainings, she saves him. Especially when Walküre and/or Freyja isn't singing. It's part of his development as pilot.
Old 2016-08-15, 14:35   Link #72
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Hayate in episode 3: "I'm sorry. You were right. Just being able to fly isn't enough. But I still don't like the shooting business, so I'll do things my way!

The lesson she gives him is the reason why he survives each battle. By giving him this lesson and the trainings, she saves him. Especially when Walküre and/or Freyja isn't singing. It's part of his development as pilot.
A major problem is that we witnessed none of this between Episodes 3 and 4... or 4 and 5, or 5 and 6. Hayate can credit training with Mirage for his getting better as a pilot and be entirely right about it, but if the audience sees none of it, such a statement has the same weight as Hayate saying that he learned everything by playing Delta Scramble on his days off.

An unrelated problem is that despite doing this training, Messer and Keith still wipe the floor with Hayate, Mirage, and Chuck. The series needed to make them all a bit more credible as pilots, but we only saw that once, in Episode 6. After that it was back to Newtyping as the only way to go.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 15:10   Link #73
Thess

Quote:

Er, actually it was Messer who changed his mind. Hayate only agreed with her because Messer gave him a wake up call after their test (he didn't care about her point until Messer showed him he'll be killed with that attitude). Before him, he didn't care about Mirage's point. She failed to get him think about it. At the beginning, I thought this would be Mirage's role, but Messer made her completely obsolete and useless. Then I thought he would bond with her because both were trying to live up Messer's expectations, but he ended up bonding with Freyja for her senpai blues instead because Mirage cut herself out.

Honestly, Messer+Mirage should have been made the same character, because a great deal why Mirage and got shafted is because Messer existed (but I love Messer).

Spoiler for ippus response:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2016-08-15 at 15:23.
Old 2016-08-15, 15:27   Link #74
Father Hentai

Quote:
Er, actually it was Messer who changed his mind. Hayate only agreed with her because Messer gave him a wake up call after their test (he didn't care about her point until Messer showed him he'll be killed with that attitude). Before him, he didn't care about Mirage's point. She failed to get him think about it. At the beginning, I thought this would be Mirage's role, but Messer made her completely obsolete and useless. Then I thought he would bond with her because both were trying to live up Messer's expectations, but he ended up bonding with Freyja for her senpai blues instead because Mirage cut herself out.
Messer gave him a lesson that toe-on-toe combats are useless. But the lesson to fly and to survive is Mirages part. And do you reallly think she failed? Messer was just executing what Mirage said about his attitude but the lesson was given by her. Not by him directly. Consider that Messer would not even waste a time educating him personally. He trains the squad to fight as a team not each one to improve them being pilots.

Anyhow, this is now too much Mirage talking. A thread exists but all what I see is a lot are yawning outside of that thread.
Old 2016-08-15, 15:35   Link #75
Thess

Quote:
Messer gave him a lesson that toe-on-toe combats are useless. But the lesson to fly and to survive is Mirages part.
That was still Messer's lesson. That's why he symbolically killed him after their duel.

Quote:
And do you reallly think she failed? Messer was just executing what Mirage said about his attitude but the lesson was given by her. Not by him directly. Consider that Messer would not even waste a time educating him personally. He trains the squad to fight as a team not each one to improve them being pilots.
She failed because Hayate didn't pay attention to anything she said*, attended to her lessons and overall ignored her like an ass until Messer straightened him. After this, the one training him is... well, Messer. The one who inspired him and motivated him to fly and proved himself is again Messer. The one who made him take his job seriously is Messer. Nonetheless, Messer's existence (which I'm grateful for because he's an amazing character) put Mirage in a very awkward angle in her role plot wise, IMO.

*This is fairly consistent to some of their interactions in the show, all the worst of why her big moment in episode 20 should have been framed about Mirage's overcoming insecurities and asserting herself rather than let's have someone peptalk Hayate and Freyja to start wrapping up this drama!

Old 2016-08-15, 15:42   Link #76
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
A major problem is that we witnessed none of this between Episodes 3 and 4... or 4 and 5, or 5 and 6. Hayate can credit training with Mirage for his getting better as a pilot and be entirely right about it, but if the audience sees none of it, such a statement has the same weight as Hayate saying that he learned everything by playing Delta Scramble on his days off.

An unrelated problem is that despite doing this training, Messer and Keith still wipe the floor with Hayate, Mirage, and Chuck. The series needed to make them all a bit more credible as pilots, but we only saw that once, in Episode 6. After that it was back to Newtyping as the only way to go.
Ahhhh disagreed about the lack of witness in episode 6. Messer gives them some tough evaluations at the start, and it's Mirage's demeanor that stops Hayate from going completely ape shit. (For clarification, I think this was when Hayate learned a little bit more discipline through Mirage's seriousness. )

I know I've already discussed this episode before but the tl;dr was, Hayate goes off to bite off more than he can chew, Mirage tries to cover him and ends up in a sticky situation and he draws first blood to save her. At the end Mirage gets to give him a talk about war and he accepts it, in stark contrast to how he acted when Mirage tried to speak to Freyja in the previous episode.

I actually think she's stayed in the instructor role reasonably well until she was promoted/started having issues over the skill gap between her and Hayate. Realistically I can't see how anyone can argue with Hayate about his flying methods at this point when the plot has constantly rewarded his recklessness. I mean there's a slight dampening the last couple of episodes, but does anyone really think he'll reconsider...? (I hope so but...eh. Messer died on power up so who needs logic.)

Also-
Spoiler for To Thess, to keep this out of regular discussion:
Old 2016-08-15, 15:50   Link #77
FlamingMangos

It's quite strange that for a big community that Macross has, we have to rely on one anon or more to translate new episodes. I wish Crunchyroll at least picked this show up so, we don't have to play any waiting game on subs.
FlamingMangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 16:02   Link #78
Thess

I wonder what would Arad and Ernest do after learning of Kaname's and gang break out attempt on Mikumo. I'm hoping this won't create more drama and tension. As magnuskn said, this stupid conspiracy stuff within Chaos seems kind of unnecessary and there's already far too much to cover already. Like I said an episode ago, Delta's biggest problems are juggling a huge cast of characters (oh and we're introduced to another new one from Windermere! ) and the overambitious plotlines which had no end on sight.

It's a show that needed more than 26-25 episodes to execute them well.

Quote:
Spoiler for To Thess, to keep this out of regular discussion:
Spoiler for ippus:

Old 2016-08-15, 16:15   Link #79
Father Hentai

Quote:
I wonder what would Arad and Ernest do after learning of Kaname's and gang break out attempt on Mikumo. I'm hoping this won't create more drama and tension. As magnuskn said, this stupid conspiracy stuff within Chaos seems kind of unnecessary and there's already far too much to cover already. Like I said an episode ago, Delta's biggest problems are juggling a huge cast of characters (oh and we're introduced to another new one from Windermere! ) and the overambitious plotlines which had no end on sight.

It's a show that needed more than 26-25 episodes to execute them well.
What should they do? They can't put them to jail because they are their main trump card against the VAR and that is also the reason why they were build as a sound unit. Considering that Chaos is a military organized structure even they have confidential projects. This includes to not talk about top secret issues to personnel who are not involved in this project. At a point you can say they would have figured it out someday. Same as Arad wanted to talk with Hayate about his dad. A good point they have done this is to know more about Lady M, which is - my theory - why they have this plot.

Quote:
She failed because Hayate didn't pay attention to anything she said*, attended to her lessons and overall ignored her like an ass until Messer straightened him. After this, the one training him is... well, Messer. The one who inspired him and motivated him to fly and proved himself is again Messer. The one who made him take his job seriously is Messer. Nonetheless, Messer's existence (which I'm grateful for because he's an amazing character) put Mirage in a very awkward angle in her role plot wise, IMO.
Sorry, but you are putting something into the line of the story, which isn't even shown in the series.

Quote:
After this, the one training him is... well, Messer
This is somehow taken out of nowhere. Think about their Senpai-Student relationship and Hayate clearly said after this episode that he will see Mirage the next day. You are putting Messer too much credit. But this is a method to lower her characteristics because you want to push your opinion. Messer was only their sparringspartner in group combat. But the lessons to be a combat pilot is mainly Mirages work. At least for the first month. After that Messer gets involved because he trains them to fight as a group. Meaning along with Chuck. Let's wait if there will be another surprise and if Messer will really be the one who motivated him to fly. He may inspire him but he is not the reason why he flies. If you further want to discuss about this. Move it to the Mirage thread. We are far from being on the red line of this episode thread.

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2016-08-15 at 16:25.
Father Hentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 16:18   Link #80
Mistyclear

A huge list of cast members plus each side has their own villains aside from the other. Windermerians have the NUNs guy (Our protagonists may not like the guy personally but he doesn't appear to be their enemy instead he's Windermere's enemy) and now they are having internal issues. Our protagonists are also having internal issues, I'm not sure about Berger as he was apparently following Roid's plan (episode 19) to unsettle Freyja and see if Mikumo had woken up yet. So ya there's a lot of villains but they're not all the protagonists villains, which I guess makes the situation messy.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote