Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-10-22, 18:48   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Also yeah, Shouxue is learning that people aren't always fans of re-gifting .
The Emperor took it surprisingly well when she told him she did that, though he made it clear how much sentimental value the fish he previously gifted her had and that she should never get rid of it.

I really enjoyed this episode, and how Shouxue's relationship with Jiu-Jiu mirrored that of the Princess and her lady-in-waiting. She's learned from it and grown closer to Jiu-Jiu and her servant in the process.
Old 2022-10-22, 20:29   Link #62
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The story in this episode is about "things you don't want to let go".

Shouxue has been enjoying Jiujiu's presence as lady-in-waiting, but the Raven Consort is poorly equipped in repaying that presence--she deems Jiujiu as important, but her way of giving back doesn't work as intended. And in a sense, the case of the Skylark Princess provided a warning for her: "if you don't cherish others properly and resolve problems when they happen, it will leave regrets to take root."

Meanwhile, we see the overarching plot take shape, with the Emperor investigating about a mythical bird and suffering from visions of those executed by the fallen Empress Dowager. Looks like the Dowager has left quite the parting gift to the Emperor.

On a side note: re-gifting food isn't that bad if the recipient also enjoys the food. We can also call that sharing.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-25, 16:41   Link #63
kuroyanagi

I have to admit, 30% of my enjoyment of this series is anticipating which familiar A-list seiyuu are going to pop up in the guest roles Some episodes ago we had Mai Nakahara as Shouxue's mother and this week, I was gutted to hear Tomokazu Sugita as the old man official. I mean, he's got range and the chops to pull it off, but isn't it early for him to play an octogenarian?

Anyway, this is a nice, slow burn series. Shoujo properties tend not to get much budget, so I expected the animation quality to nosedive at this point, but thankfully my expectations were betrayed.
kuroyanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-29, 17:03   Link #64
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Very interesting episode this week. We learned about the past of the emperor's attendant and Shouxue has two different cases to solve. I'm guessing the two cases will intersect, somehow.

Really liking this show. The only bad thing about it is the OP.
Old 2022-10-29, 17:48   Link #65
Alchemist007
*Author

Pretty cool he told her to stop being such a bitch all the time.

I thought we'd be getting 2m more content this time because of no OP...then they played it after the ED, did someone lose a bet or something ?
Old 2022-10-29, 19:00   Link #66
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The episode seems to be a disjointed one because of the amount of things brought to light. On the contrary though, the episode feels more like an official start of the overarching plot as demonstrated by the focus on the "world map" and the OP.

More stuff involving the Emperor (has nightmares like the previous Emperor) and Shouxue (the case involving a different Luan AND the Emperor researching on the Raven Consort) are getting involved now. Based on the clothing, this particular Luan may be a high-ranking consort or a direct member of the imperial family. Meanwhile, the "unusual smell" caught by Shouxue may be incense with hallucinogens in it, but the fact that Shouxue and Wei Qing saw the ghost with the Emperor in the same room might prove otherwise.

Now why the focus on the red-light district? It has been mentioned that there are many sorcerers who have been kicked out of the imperial city and it's very convenient that the red-light district doesn't use inner lighting for privacy's sake. The Emperor might not know that his enemies might be lurking in the red-light district, and his trusted people must make sure that their plans are foiled.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2022-10-29, 19:50   Link #67
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I do like that we're really getting into this "ghosts of the Emperor's loved ones" business. Mostly since it is a difficult situation and yet one that really does need to be figured out. Glad that guy finally did reach out to Shouxue even if he was both asked not to and didn't want to. I'm sure he knows the closer Shouxue and the Emperor get the messier things could become. But at the same time...she really is the only one that can help. Better to deal with the consequences than leave it alone and have things get much worse...

Tough backstory for Wei Qing. I suppose it was to be expected. But that's still pretty difficult. No wonder he'd go through just about anything for the Emperor. He really was saved by him on so many levels.
Old 2022-11-05, 21:54   Link #68
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Imagine having an even bigger lore dump than Episode 5. Basically this contextualizes the entire setup by revealing the true history behind it. The Luan Dynasty is doomed by Luan Xi, who arguably was just trying to prevent a war that may be caused by the reveal of two "kings" ruling the empire. In trying to protect the empire, the Niao Lian was silenced and the Winter King was turned into a mere hidden consort.

Now this leaves several questions: Is Luan Bingyue trying to usurp the rule from Emperor Gaojun or is inciting another war to legitimize his claim as part of the Luan Clan? Who is trying to weaken the emperor by exposing him to potentially hallucinogenic substances in his bedchamber? And how old is Yuyi exactly?

Old 2022-11-06, 09:58   Link #69
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I really wasn't expecting to get a massive info dump revealing everything about the Raven Consort so soon. I get why Bingyue said Shouxue could have the world if she wanted to. Unless they go for something tragic, the ending will have the Winter and Summer Kings ruling together once again. Or they'll go for something completely different and defeat Niao Lian in order for Shouxue to become free.
Old 2022-11-06, 12:26   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Wow, I didn't think there was this much going on! There was definitely mystery and such around the Raven Consort. But I didn't think it went this far. It goes in different directions too. In a sense Shouxue should absolutely be the second ruler of that Kingdom. That is the historical place that those selected had. So she's really lost out on all that authority by the past and the tragic circumstances.

On the other hand her very existence is itself a tragedy. Her mother dying was awful and then she was "chosen" to be the Winter King. She wasn't given a choice and was left in the terrible position that she can't even leave that area without dying on the spot. I know she's pissed...but it really is something to feel bad about. But I get having the Emperor feel sorry for her just stings because his position is why she's here in the first place.

I'm curious what way they'll take this. Just give Shouxue the authority she deserves? Let the Summer and Winter Kings rule together? Or like Kanon said, maybe it'll be about smoking Niao Lian and giving Shouxue the freedom to go and do what she pleases.

Although I can't see the Emperor and Shouxue not ending up together no matter how they choose to handle the supernatural element. And we didn't even really tackle the whole nightmare ghost situation. Although it was hinted that there was a plot behind it and it could be drug induced.
Old 2022-11-09, 19:46   Link #71
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm curious what way they'll take this. Just give Shouxue the authority she deserves? Let the Summer and Winter Kings rule together? Or like Kanon said, maybe it'll be about smoking Niao Lian and giving Shouxue the freedom to go and do what she pleases.

Although I can't see the Emperor and Shouxue not ending up together no matter how they choose to handle the supernatural element. And we didn't even really tackle the whole nightmare ghost situation. Although it was hinted that there was a plot behind it and it could be drug induced.
But if the entire palace setup and false history is fabricated to imprison the Winter King, what if Niao Lian killing the Winter King when they try to leave is intended to prevent a reoccurrence of the way that Luan Xi took control in the first place? Not as a means of control, but mediation?

There were endless upheavals while the Winter King was separated from the Summer King, and the bloodiest of them all was the Winter King returning with a new Summer King to supplant the present. Something that the Emperor just recreated himself by overthrowing the Empress Dowager.

Rejoining the two as they sat side by side on the throne was the original peaceful manner, it felt apart because they weren't together, and the Summer King's jealousy drove him mad. The Winter King never craved power, but Bingyue seems to be seeding the doubt that the Winter King should be the highest authority, so instead of the division of heading civil rule and religion, rule through sorcery that the Winter King possesses.

This episode has also made me reevaluate the ED lyrics. I love the song and think it is one of the best and most beautiful EDs this season, but now the themes of it make a lot more sense.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-09, 23:10   Link #72
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I really, really wanted to like this one...I don't dislike it. But aside from the lead characters, nothing or no one else feels of any consequence at all. I wouldn't remember their names or why they were there to begin with.

I think about other series like Mononoke or Hell Girl dealing with requests and/or the supernatural. Specific episodes or arcs, I could recall because they invoked a feeling. I get one sole emotion every episode - empathy, or rather begging for empathy. If I could get something else offered, I'd get invested. But a pity party/life is cruel saga with little else is exhausting. I get there are forces at work to make things hard for the two and the hope they may end up together. But that is thin. When things like The Apothecary Diaries and Yona of the Dawn exist for the court aspect, that edge is also lost.

Was worth a shot, oh well.
Old 2022-11-10, 04:55   Link #73
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I really, really wanted to like this one...I don't dislike it. But aside from the lead characters, nothing or no one else feels of any consequence at all. I wouldn't remember their names or why they were there to begin with.

I think about other series like Mononoke or Hell Girl dealing with requests and/or the supernatural. Specific episodes or arcs, I could recall because they invoked a feeling. I get one sole emotion every episode - empathy, or rather begging for empathy. If I could get something else offered, I'd get invested. But a pity party/life is cruel saga with little else is exhausting. I get there are forces at work to make things hard for the two and the hope they may end up together. But that is thin. When things like The Apothecary Diaries and Yona of the Dawn exist for the court aspect, that edge is also lost.
What sets it apart from the series like it to me is that it is mostly a political mystery series instead of a supernatural one. Shouxue is using her abilities to find clues or send them on their way, but most of the actual legwork in the investigations is mundane work.

It's also a rare court drama series that doesn't quicky slip into a reverse harem. Quite notably, most of the other male characters either openly dislike Shouxue or are utterly indifferent to her.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-12, 18:06   Link #74
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

If you disregard the after credit scene, this episode was oddly conclusive. Binguye turned out to be a big nothingburger, he was absolutely no match for Shouxue (you really don't want to make her angry) and it turns out he wasn't really a bad guy at all. He wanted to marry the girl who killed herself and spent his entire time as a ghost trying to get her to move on. Shouxue did that for the both of them.

One thing done. Then Shouxue rushes to the Emperor's chamber in the middle of the night and casually removes the curse left by the Dowager before her death. Another plotline resolved.

And then the Emperor abrogates the law saying Luans should all be killed so Shouxue doesn't have to fear for her life anymore. He then reveals his intent to treat her as the Winter King when they're alone and that he wishes to be her friend.

And finally, we see that Shouxue now has plenty of friends and her solitary life is behind her. It really could have just ended there.
Old 2022-11-12, 18:10   Link #75
Alchemist007
*Author

It's something that backstories about beheadings are just told casually.

"Yeah I was caught and beheaded but I had to find my girl."
Old 2022-11-12, 20:31   Link #76
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It's quite a shock that Bingyue isn't an overarching antagonist in the story. Turns out he has only been using his supernatural abilities to solve a personal case that he himself can't solve, and he also realized that going face-to-face against Shouxue, who is backed by a literal divine entity, is not a good idea. Shouxue also acts on her own accord in finally getting rid of the last vestige of the Empress Dowager in the curse she left behind on the Emperor.

The episode is basically the actual turning point in the story. A lot of the plot points were resolved. The long-standing decree that endangered the Luan clan has been abolished, and the once-barren Inner Palace is now a bit more livelier now that Shouxue has found friends in Jiujiu, the Emperor, and the Flower Consort.

Now what?

EDIT: Apparently, a novel reader stated that this marks the end of the first volume, out of seven.
EDIT2: I can probably watch Shouxue stuff her face with bao the whole day.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2022-11-12 at 21:44.
Old 2022-11-13, 01:54   Link #77
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Oh man. I loved seeing Shouxue just snap. When asking for a favor it's a good idea...not to intensely enrage the person you are asking . Plus seriously...taking an innocent girl hostage and then cutting her isn't going to win any fans...Bingyue is a serious idiot despite his abilities. I have to agree with him calling himself out on that one.

Nice ending to the episode. Emperor is definitely doing all he can to ease things. Although obviously it's still a long road ahead if he wants to make significant changes. Kind of thing that can't necessarily be rushed. There's deities and a hidden King business that's tough to work through.

I enjoyed this one. No shock that Shouxue is falling for the Emperor and that's becoming apparent to those around her. But it'll be a long while before she can really process that kind of thing. At least any death warrant due to her heritage is no longer an issue.
Old 2022-11-19, 18:04   Link #78
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Really liked today's episode.

The woman asking to revive someone at the beginning was intriguing, we're obviously going to get back to that at some point.

The episode mostly focused on Enuchs. I can't remember the name of the guy who did it but the request for Shouxue to take in the kid was really heartfelt. You could tell that man went through a lot and wishes to spare at least one kid this mistreatment.

Do they keep adding characterers to the ED or is it just me noticing them only after they've shown up in the show?
Old 2022-11-19, 20:04   Link #79
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

They also added some in the OP too.

Old 2022-11-20, 21:33   Link #80
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

If Shouxue is being tormented monthly by that creepy thing then it really is something that has to be dealt with. I presume that scene at the end is something like re-affirming the connection to the Winter King, but not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Really liked today's episode.

The woman asking to revive someone at the beginning was intriguing, we're obviously going to get back to that at some point.

The episode mostly focused on Enuchs. I can't remember the name of the guy who did it but the request for Shouxue to take in the kid was really heartfelt. You could tell that man went through a lot and wishes to spare at least one kid this mistreatment.

Do they keep adding characterers to the ED or is it just me noticing them only after they've shown up in the show?
I was legitimately curious and wanted to check on that too. But yeah, they've been there in the ED the whole time. At least in that one panning shot with all the characters outside. In that sense I think the kid is the last 'addition' that will be added to Shouxue's circle of connections.

And I did really like that moment with Shouxue and Wen Ying. Just shows how valuable her kindness and heart has been to those around her. Not only saving that kid but giving Wen Ying hope. Showing him the kind of person he'd wished to have there for him during his darkest moments.

She may have her doubts about keeping all these people close to her, but that moment really showed how important it has been for her to do so. It means more than she realized.

Tags
historical