Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-11-01, 11:57   Link #61
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by iko_uwais View Post
Just found out that volume 7 of the ln, released on october 19th was the final volume. Decided to read ahead, and let's just say i hope it gets animated, the ending is beautiful

Unless we get S2, unlikely. They should adapt the first two volumes in this season.

I am still a bit biased by the number of "evil commie" cliches. Dudes, these are 60s, not 30s. This whole purging spree died out after Stalin's death.

But overall the series is still decent.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 13:30   Link #62
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Unless we get S2, unlikely. They should adapt the first two volumes in this season.

I am still a bit biased by the number of "evil commie" cliches. Dudes, these are 60s, not 30s. This whole purging spree died out after Stalin's death.

But overall the series is still decent.
The "mass" purging may have died down but the individual and small group purging continue with glee into the present day.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 14:53   Link #63
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

You can hate Soviets as much as you want, but it is not the reason to exaggerate things in fictcion.
Old 2021-11-01, 18:08   Link #64
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
You can hate Soviets as much as you want, but it is not the reason to exaggerate things in fictcion.
Packing explosives into the capsule so they could blow it up if it might be captured by the West was not an exaggeration. It was a thing in the capsules with animals onboard. The KGB wanted to put them in Gagarin's capsule too, but Chief Designer Korolev got that overruled.

Speaking of Korolev, they even included his heart condition in the show. It was a botched operation on his heart that killed him - that and the years he'd spent in the gulag during one of Stalin's purges.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-07, 12:48   Link #65
Frontier

Naked showering Irina! Although Irina is still reeling from seeing the burned dog from the crash, having nightmare's about the rocket blowing up with her on it and getting immolated like a bunch of other dead dogs. It's not pretty .

Although Irina with bags under her eyes is pretty cute .

Irina is barely able to function...she can hardly run, eat, or keep up with the exercises. She even looks pale even by her standards. Eventually she just collapses and Lev gets angry with her to finally make her take care of herself. But it doesn't seem like there's anything through normal means that can make her feel better .

Anya has a dog! That's cute .

Eventually Lev realizes that Irina is still a vampire at the end of the day and the solution is blood, and he offers his own to her so she can get her strength back. Because it's not a proper vampire romance until the vampire in the relationship has sucked their love interests blood .

So Irina bites Lev's arm while he strokes her hair and they reach some kind of cosmic nirvana/connection together, and achieve the vampire kind of intimacy .

Yeah, no surprise they're not delaying the test to improve the safety percentage. Poor Irina though .

Why did Franz sabotage the machine? Was he trying to kill Irina so Lev wouldn't risk himself for her? He seemed sympathetic, but said he wanted to make sure Lev didn't endanger his chance of getting into space .

Lev finally has enough of that chief disrespecting Irina, especially when he outright attacks her, and lays in on him and demands he apologizes. If Lev was going to go that far and risk his career, he should've just punched the guy. And then Lev gets arrested and sent off to solitary, leaving poor Irina alone and having to go through this without him. She's going through with this and she doesn't even know if he's okay .

So it looks like we're getting the test flight next week, although considering there are 5 episodes left after that, I can only imagine what the next half of the plot for the series will be .
Old 2021-11-07, 17:48   Link #66
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Nothing about the chief's reaction was surprising, but really. A fuse box ought to be much easier to replace than an almost fully trained vampire. And less critical to making the deadline.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-07, 23:31   Link #67
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I really do wonder what was up with Franz. It could have been some misdirected effort to help Lev's dreams. It would mesh a bit with him looking shut down after things went south. But at the same time...spies exist. Or he could simply be a traitor sent to cause problems for the space mission for any number of reasons.

Regardless it didn't work out great for anyone. Honestly I also think if Lev was screwed anyways he should have gone the extra mile and beaten the stuffing out of the chief. I suppose it's possible that strings get pulled to get him out of there. So not severely injuring the chief might help in that effort.

I guess we'll see where things go from here. Irina will head up into space next episode. Maybe that part covers the next two episodes. I guess the last part might involve any struggle to help Irina not get killed off after the flight. And maybe leading to Lev somehow getting cleared to take that first purely human flight?

Anyways the whole blood thing was done pretty well. Definitely further forging the bond between those two and helping save Irina from a deadly downward spiral. Even if her traumas aren't completely resolved, at least she's in much better shape now.
Old 2021-11-08, 20:36   Link #68
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I hope something happens to the chief soon, because he is just annoying to watch. I get he is supposed to be super-racist, but at this point, he is also irrational and should be purged for sabotaging the Soviets' attempts at moon landing.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-09, 02:04   Link #69
magnuskn

Yeah, basically it's a good question how he gets away with it, when everybody else who even hints at sabotaging the program gets not very oblique hints that they better get with the program fOr ThE fAtHeRlAnD!. Or else.
Old 2021-11-09, 18:58   Link #70
Ghostfriendly

A very decent series. Strong world-building that doesn't have to be accurate to every detail of the USSR and captures it very well in spirit. Appealing characters with their own dignity, problems, feelings and flaws; as natural, convincing and alive as their non-exaggerated character designs. Loved the ice skating scene in particular.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-14, 12:53   Link #71
Frontier

Why is there a Lycoris in the Opening? Because it's going to be Irina's codename in space, and they're keeping everything as covert as they can in-case anyone intercepts their communication. At least Irina is going into this aware of the bomb and that she might blow up .

In good news, Lev made the flight! It seems like Natalia was much more high up the echelon than she let on and they figured out Franz was behind the sabotage, trying to discredit the chief (not that he didn't deserve it). So Lev is cleared and Franz has also been wiped from existence, but I guess that's to be expected .

Man, I got some serious death flags when Irina left her necklace with Lev, even though he wanted to take it up with her into space .

So the rocket launch goes well, but then there's a scare where Irina's heart rate goes up and they lose communication...though thankfully things clear up and she starts reporting through cooking recipes. She even finds a way to send a message to Lev .

Irina can finally see the beauty of space from up close, and look at the moon, and she can only cry at the sheer beauty of what she is finally getting to witness, and that humans' don't deserve to defile the moon .

Then it comes down to re-entry, and at least the worst case scenario of her landing outside the borders doesn't happen and they're able to send a proper search party for Irina, with Lev of course leading the charge .

Lev finally finds Irina and the two are able to huddle together intimately as they wait to get picked up and bask in the glow of Irina surviving the flight, and Lev bringing her in close was so adorable .

So what's next for Irina? She managed to be the first Cosmonaut even if history will never know about her, but what's next for her and Lev and the Space Program? What will they do with her now that she's served her purpose ?
Old 2021-11-15, 11:20   Link #72
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm surprised anyone felt it was necessary to conduct sabotage to go against that chief. The guy was a lunatic that slept on the job most of the time when he wasn't harassing people. It shouldn't have been that hard to get rid of him .

There was some tension at times. But it's nice to see how well things went. Irina really did make it and got to experience all of it. The first person to get out there and able to both save her own life from explosives and send her message back.

Heck even the return went better than I expected considering how cobbled together the whole launch was. And of course Lev is out there ready to find her. I was curious how they'd handle it. Whether they'd take that opportunity to get Irina out of Russia before they could decide on disposing her or just head on back. Guess we're going for the latter. Which is certainly dangerous, but understandable.

Curious to see what they do with Lev and Irina. Will Lev ever get his chance to head up? Will Irina survive? Who knows.
Old 2021-11-15, 12:38   Link #73
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

FlareKnight, that guy was not a chief, just his aide responcible for trianing program. The sabotage was against the actual chief — the guy who modeled the rocet and commanded the launch.
Old 2021-11-15, 13:07   Link #74
magnuskn

It still was pretty unbelievable that a person who, just by the dint of his repulsive personality, was actively sabotaging the entire effort to put Laika in space would be allowed to keep their post. If they'd hinted that he has friends in high places and as such can't be removed, it would be more okay. But the version we got, i.e. "old cranky bigot without many friends tries his damnedest to injure or even kill the vampire cosmonaut, thus sabotaging the entire effort" should have gotten the idiot sent to fictional Siberia long ago.
Old 2021-11-15, 13:13   Link #75
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
It still was pretty unbelievable that a person who, just by the dint of his repulsive personality, was actively sabotaging the entire effort to put Laika in space would be allowed to keep their post. If they'd hinted that he has friends in high places and as such can't be removed, it would be more okay. But the version we got, i.e. "old cranky bigot without many friends tries his damnedest to injure or even kill the vampire cosmonaut, thus sabotaging the entire effort" should have gotten the idiot sent to fictional Siberia long ago.
They actually hinted that he has some higher-up friends who cover him up.
Old 2021-11-15, 16:28   Link #76
magnuskn

Quote:
They actually hinted that he has some higher-up friends who cover him up.
Hm, must have missed that part.
Old 2021-11-15, 16:49   Link #77
Strahan

Good episode. Glad to see she made it. Of course, being that it's only ep 7 that seemed like the likely outcome. The recipe thing was silly; the signal itself would give away that the person is in space.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-15, 23:12   Link #78
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iko_uwais View Post
Just found out that volume 7 of the ln, released on october 19th was the final volume. Decided to read ahead, and let's just say i hope it gets animated, the ending is beautiful
Sevenseas will be publishing Tsuki no Laika into English.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-manga/.179440

Vol 1 expected to come in Aug 2022.
https://sevenseasentertainment.com/2...rship-imprint/
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-16, 00:28   Link #79
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
The recipe thing was silly; the signal itself would give away that the person is in space.
Yeah, this was the first episode where they really went off-script from history (apart from the whole vampire premise in the first place, that is). Gagarin's transmissions were pretty much what you'd expect a test pilot to say during a test flight. Maybe that wasn't suspenseful enough.

But they did get the part about delays on the launch pad right. That was pretty normal for both astronauts and cosmonauts. While Gagarin was waiting on the pad, he asked the blockhouse to put some music on for him.

And they completely left out one Gagarin tradition that is still practiced today. It seems Gagarin forgot to take one last potty break before riding out to the launch pad, so halfway out, they had to make a stop, at which point he got out, unzipped, and pissed on one of the tires. To this day, it's still a tradition for the truck to stop halfway to the pad and let all the cosmonauts out to commemorate the event. To my knowledge, none of the female cosmonauts have ever joined in.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-16, 00:42   Link #80
iko_uwais

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Sevenseas will be publishing Tsuki no Laika into English.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-manga/.179440

Vol 1 expected to come in Aug 2022.
https://sevenseasentertainment.com/2...rship-imprint/
Well, I can read japanese and already bought the digital version of the Japanese version of vol. 7 so....
iko_uwais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, historical