AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-07-16, 18:57   Link #61
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Okay I got a quick question. This is called "Reign of the SEVEN Spellblades" but We've only introduced six member cast. So out of curiosity is a seventh person going to show up and join the team or something?
That or the girl that is watching over Oliver joins the group later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Kaoru-dono's nickname is probably Hitokiri Battousai
Hitokiri Battousai was a patriot that only fough because there was a battle to fight not because he liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
They were talking about her magic, she only has talent with the sword but if someone used both in a duel with her...
Really? Because years of anime/manga have teach me that main weakness of a mage (the type that requires incantations) is a boosted physical fighter. Nanao probably wouldn't lose a fight with most of the first years.

Last edited by alex_drian; 2023-07-16 at 19:09.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-16, 19:16   Link #62
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Okay I got a quick question. This is called "Reign of the SEVEN Spellblades" but We've only introduced six member cast. So out of curiosity is a seventh person going to show up and join the team or something?
This isn't a spoiler, it just drop a misconception about the title: it has nothing to do with the number of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I dunno... its pretty clear the MC is at least in the running for the strongest person in the show with some kind of a "dark past" (tm). So far he kind of reminds me of Ray White from the Iceblade show or maybe Yuuji from Grisaia.
Oliver is competent but he has little in the way of hallmarks an OP character. OP protagonists dominate their opponents as soon as they show up in the story (intentionally or unintentionally), while Oliver merely with tied Nanao and was even shown visibly struggling with her. He might ultimately won had it continued but would a hard fought battle. We have seen OP characters a hundreds time in these type of shows so its strange you have this takeaway from two leads who for once just look evenly matched despite developing their fighting style from different backgrounds. Believe it or not there is spectrum between "weak as crap" and an "I am god". He's better than a lot his peers but not to a overwhelming degree.

Oliver is actually closer to someone like Toru Acrua than Ray or Yuuji. That just only discussing battle competent. His personality & dynamic with his crew are completely different thanks to the surprisingly level maturity he displays for someone his age.

I also don't like Iceblade Sorcerer because it has all far typical elements magic academy I don't usual care (uneven gender cast, battle harem, most characters revolving around MC rather than having distinct personalities & problems of their own etc) versus Spellblades which actually takes its setting pretty seriously instead being just a excuse to overpower the MC at the expense of it. So I don't know why one would like Iceblade Sorcerer if they liked Spellblades, they are actually pretty different beyond being set in a school. Its saying you like Naruto if you liked Jujutsu Kaisen.

Last edited by Applehell; 2023-07-17 at 02:19.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-16, 20:08   Link #63
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
I also don't like Iceblade Sorcerer because it has all far typical elements magic academy I don't usual care (uneven gender cast, battle harem, most characters revolving around MC rather than having distinct personalities & problems of their own etc) versus Spellblades which actually takes its setting pretty seriously instead being just a excuse to overpower the MC at the expense of it. So I don't know why one would like Iceblade Sorcerer if they liked Spellblades, they are actually pretty different beyond being set in a school. Its saying you like Naruto if you liked Jujutsu Kaisen.
Maybe but like I said before the the entire cast of Spellblades feels like shounen and/or RPG cookie cutters in a Harry Potter shell. Iceblade had a noble girl slumming it with the commoners who had a pretty solid character arc, I'm not really seeing why Michela not being a megabitch is something to be applauded as unique and original or something. Is it just the ringcurls?

I don't really care about whether the series is or isn't a power fantasy or whether it is or isn't a harem if I think the characters are shit. Episode 2 was their time to shine but so far they're painfully uninspired to me. If you like them so be it but I just don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Classroom of Heroes fits that better in my opinion.
The zany comedy in that reminds me more of the one Aristocrat isekai from last season, even though it wasn't a magical school series.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-17, 00:49   Link #64
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

I just want to say the analogy people are using... are just not accurate.
This show is more of Type Moon Clock Tower under a Harry Potter skin.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-17, 01:05   Link #65
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
I just want to say the analogy people are using... are just not accurate.
This show is more of Type Moon Clock Tower under a Harry Potter skin.
I'd just wish it had as fantastic music as Lord El Melloi II.
Old 2023-07-17, 02:14   Link #66
Applehell

Quote:
Maybe but like I said before the the entire cast of Spellblades feels like shounen and/or RPG cookie cutters in a Harry Potter shell. Iceblade had a noble girl slumming it with the commoners who had a pretty solid character arc, I'm not really seeing why Michela not being a megabitch is something to be applauded as unique and original or something. Is it just the ringcurls?
I mean can turned this right back at you and ask how Spellblades is any more generic then almost any anime in last couple years beyond having magic academy? Just because some of elements exist other series does not make something whole derivative and describes every genre. There is almost no anime you couldn't make this argument towards based on your vague criteria. You might well say the cast is generic because they breath and have different colored hair like other anime.

And the reason I bring up Michela is because she one of direct counters to what you said (which I also noted she not meek princess type either), but because you can't offer a real rebuttal to that and simply decide sidestep to continue your own narrative this just coming across as your arguing in bad faith. Like I have no problem with not liking the show, but... why just say that instead of misusing a term that makes no sense and worst makes you sound like a hypocrite? Its like none the shows you like aren't derivative of stuff that appeared several other works either.

Furthermore you only list one particular series in claim to why Spellblades generic which irony works against it. Like no duh, Spellblades shares some similarities with HP which itself shares concepts with older fiction works. Its base inspiration and there is nothing wrong with that, there also clear differences between the two that makes Spellblades own thing. The fact draws more from that makes less like Japanese magic academies by default and other influences it take from are actually from works like FSN in terms of themes. You're comment about RPGs is even confusing since I am fanatic of genre and there no game like Spellblades unless literally just Hogwatts Legacy.

Even my dislike of Iceblade isn't based on fact I've encountered works that featured those archetypes and designs but because of how it unitizes its characters terribly or incredibly common manner no twists. I enjoyed series like Iceblade like Chirality of the Failed Knight not because the characters in it were whole original but of how well executed they were and how their development branched out from their basic archetypes.

Quote:
I don't really care about whether the series is or isn't a power fantasy or whether it is or isn't a harem if I think the characters are shit. Episode 2 was their time to shine but so far they're painfully uninspired to me. If you like them so be it but I just don't.The zany comedy in that reminds me more of the one Aristocrat isekai from last season, even though it wasn't a magical school series.
See? That wasn't not so hard. We don't need you awkward excuses to for subjectively disliking a piece of media especially when you haven't really explained why one thing is fact exactly like another thing instead of vagueities. Something can be unique and you can still dislike and vice versa. Which means your hating characters like Michela doesn't change the facts about her character that makes her stand out compared to usual type. I'm not here to convince you to like them. I'm only pushing back against your reasoning which is not factually working.

Frankly for the matter, if you find no charm in the cast at this point there really isn't a need to continue with the show anyway. It would be one thing if you liked the characters but were unsure of story itself because later changes quite a bit later, but your not going to able engage with character development if you hate them. That will also affect where care about the later events of plot at all.
Old 2023-07-17, 05:01   Link #67
Tenzen12

Quote:
I dunno... its pretty clear the MC is at least in the running for the strongest person in the show with some kind of a "dark past" (tm). So far he kind of reminds me of Ray White from the Iceblade show or maybe Yuuji from Grisaia.

If you like the show that's your prerogative but to me it feels like Iceblade Sorceror with better visual design. I might give it another week, we'll see.
I don't know how much is he stronger then others or even if, but if nothing else he managed stay low key for whole two episodes with his strenght being only hinted. I think comparing him to Ray is not out of place, but that doesn't mean they share same self wish-fullfilment role and it doesn't seem to me they do.
Old 2023-07-17, 08:07   Link #68
Applehell

One of the things worth noting about Spellblades when comes to the characters and story is that this type of series keeps things to its chest initially and then slowly unravel layers behind them.

Take Nanao for example. In episode 1 she is initially presented as a foreigner who is a rather awkward girl and speaks in archaic fashion. Nearly every one of interaction she has involves some kind of culture shock whether taking huge protons of food for herself, bathing in a public fountain and even something simple her surprisingly lack of magic usage incomparison to everyone else. Ep 2 then builds on this\ by revealing depth culture shock that isolates Nanao even from the friends goes even further than that after her duel with Oliver shows even her values about life & death are completely different to degree it can't be reconciled with her new life. For all claims about this called generic nobody seem predicted this twisted side to her being present at all. In fact from just these two episodes she been given quite a depth that shows she is just not just a "genki" airhead who wears a smile plastered on her face everyday no matter what, she actually has her own circumstances we know nothing about.

Katie is also another example in how the show revealing there is more to its cast in just these two episodes. Athough she less extreme than Nanao, episode 2 shows her issue troll paraded around like a slave isn't just something she is just saying to be self-righteous or just because it is the right thing to do. Its because her upbringing gives her a personal stake in this and has shaped her values when comes to humans and non-humans long before she stepped into Kimberly. Her actions become much more understandable after she takes a bit about her past.

The show is making a real effort laying a lot of the groundwork to start fleshing for out our cast (directly or indirectly) and established this isn't series that purely ruled by Oliver POV even if he's our window into it. There are people outside of him with their own troubles and reasons for being at academy and who they are at the moment. Each of these details paints full picture of kind of society these kids live in. This sort of thing really done LN who are looking to be more than power fantasies.
Old 2023-07-17, 08:52   Link #69
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
I mean can turned this right back at you and ask how Spellblades is any more generic then almost any anime in last couple years beyond having magic academy?
I mean it definitely wants to make the Harry Potter comparisons happen. Aside from the bland cast I think the series is taking itself way too seriously.
Quote:
Just because some of elements exist other series does not make something whole derivative and describes every genre. There is almost no anime you couldn't make this argument towards based on your vague criteria. You might well say the cast is generic because they breath and have different colored hair like other anime
There's nothing fundamentally bad about archetypal characters -- its up to an author to make them interesting. Authors stick to formulas because they work and because audiences know what to expect. There's no inherent value to just being subversive for the sake of being subversive either though. The ringtail girl not being a villainess or himedere doesn't make her intrinsically interesting.
Quote:
Furthermore you only list one particular series in claim to why Spellblades generic which irony works against it. Like no duh, Spellblades shares some similarities with HP which itself shares concepts with older fiction works. Its base inspiration and there is nothing wrong with that, there also clear differences between the two that makes Spellblades own thing. The fact draws more from that makes less like Japanese magic academies by default and other influences it take from are actually from works like FSN in terms of themes. You're comment about RPGs is even confusing since I am fanatic of genre and there no game like Spellblades unless literally just Hogwatts Legacy.
I'm sincerely in awe if you think the cast is "unique" after playing Trails or Fire Emblem, maybe Tales... pretty much any big JRPG series.

I've seen some Fate comparisons but I'm not really clear that goes further than rivalries between magic families. I can see it following the Fate structure but I'm definitely not sensing the charm that Fate has.
Quote:
See? That wasn't not so hard. We don't need you awkward excuses to for subjectively disliking a piece of media especially when you haven't really explained why one thing is fact exactly like another thing instead of vagueities. Something can be unique and you can still dislike and vice versa. Which means your hating characters like Michela doesn't change the facts about her character that makes her stand out compared to usual type. I'm not here to convince you to like them.
I still don't know how she stands out in your opinion aside from having ringtails and not being a bitch. "Unique" is subjective and relative to works you're already familiar with. Your argument is hollow and you're wasting both of our time if you're unwilling to go beyond "she's different" while making ad hominem attacks.
Quote:
Frankly for the matter, if you find no charm in the cast at this point there really isn't a need to continue with the show anyway. It would be one thing if you liked the characters but were unsure of story itself because later changes quite a bit later, but your not going to able engage with character development if you hate them. That will also affect where care about the later events of plot at all.
I've heard there's a big "twist" or something but I'm not sure I can be fucked to stick around until then. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Though to be honest I actually thought the series had a lot of promise in the first episode which is why I'm particularly harsh on it.

Last edited by stray; 2023-07-17 at 09:03.
Old 2023-07-17, 09:12   Link #70
Frontier

I dunno, the shows' presentation and execution is pretty solid so far (and it's rumored this will have 15 episodes), I feel like it's deliberately taking it's time and easing the audience into everything and I think it's doing a good job of that so far.

(Also, I actually liked Iceblade Sorcerer ).
Old 2023-07-17, 12:44   Link #71
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:

Yes, nothing wrong with having diverse tastes.

I already ordered the manga for Spellblades up to vol 6 from the recent Rightstuf sale (not bad at $7/vol). It was a daily megadeal but might come back on the last day of the birthday sales they're having, not sure when that exactly is.

The anime pacing seems like it will cover the vast majority of the manga that's already out.

Last edited by Alchemist007; 2023-07-17 at 12:57.
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-17, 17:46   Link #72
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Man, this is one troublesome school. Next time just give up on the book!

Also...pretty concerning that Nanao is that baffled on why someone wouldn't want to fight her to the death . We can talk about different cultures, but that really shouldn't be so baffling. You'd think someone that's killed a lot of people would know how death works. They die and chatting them up again becomes a bit more difficult going forward...

Honestly a good second episode. I respect that Katie just wants to protect as many animals as she can. While some things are unavoidable, that she tries to avoid what is avoidable is fine by me.
Old 2023-07-17, 18:26   Link #73
Applehell

Quote:
I mean it definitely wants to make the Harry Potter comparisons happen. Aside from the bland cast I think the series is taking itself way too seriously.
Is it? Then Spellblades isn't doing very good job because there are more differences between the two IP than there are similarities. Sword Arts system isn't a thing in HP. Oliver is far Harry as you can beyond being male, there is no characters like Nanao, Chela and Pete in it. Only Guy and Katie (out of 6 mains versus HP's 3) share any similarities and they are passing at best. Even the entire plot and progression from this is entirely different.

So HP and Spellblades only really share conceptually 1) a magical academy where students learn magic, some themes about slavery, small magical critters and a few passing character reassemblesness? Sounds comparisons being more forced than anything. Like ever other piece of media Spellblades has clear inspirations, but its just that, inspirations. It not a rip or clone, just on take same concept. Just as FSN is from Battle Royale.

Quote:
There's nothing fundamentally bad about archetypal characters -- its up to an author to make them interesting. Authors stick to formulas because they work and because audiences know what to expect.
Funny because I don't remember saying or implying archetypes were ever bad. Every character in fiction beings as an archetype, then go on to become full fleshed out characters when by branched in the story due added characterization, development directly facilitated by narrative whihc exactly Spellblades is doing and very quickly. Some character do start more distinct combination of traits however. But your one mistaking this genericness an continuing harp on it

Quote:
There's no inherent value to just being subversive for the sake of being subversive either though. The ringtail girl not being a villainess or himedere doesn't make her intrinsically interesting.
You argue about characters being too generic I bring up examples of how some of actually have surprising subversions and twists on the common archetypes they come from to counter this and then you move goalposts claim they aren't interesting anyway. Sure as hell doesn't sound like the author going win with you regardless what he does, which means you inherent problems with the series beyond anyone can do anything about. Bokuto and JC Staff ultimately have no obligation to cater purely to your subjective preferences anyway.

Quote:
I'm sincerely in awe if you think the cast is "unique" after playing Trails or Fire Emblem, maybe Tales... pretty much any big JRPG series.
As massive RPG fanatic and huge fan of both Kiseki and FE I have no flipping idea what your going on about. No only your own examples completely different they are even more different from LN or regular YA fiction like HP. You paint massive board bush to force some kind ridiculously criticism against this show I've nobody do.

Quote:
I've seen some Fate comparisons but I'm not really clear that goes further than rivalries between magic families. I can see it following the Fate structure but I'm definitely not sensing the charm that Fate has.
Yet, you can so confidently call Spellblades a generic HP and JRPG rip-off, two things already little in common in with each other and even less so with Spellblades. Again meaningless vagueities that couldn't somehow apply to any other property but Spellblades. Truly this show must be special to you.

The influences of Fate on this go beyond what you stated, it has much more do with core themes of the series on a significant level. Certainly more than the connections to HP based on occasional nods.

Quote:
I still don't know how she stands out in your opinion aside from having ringtails and not being a bitch. "Unique" is subjective and relative to works you're already familiar with. Your argument is hollow and you're wasting both of our time if you're unwilling to go beyond "she's different" while making ad hominem attacks.
First off learn what an ad hominem is, I launched no personal attacks against you. Second you have yet proved why she's generic other saying she is and having a hairstyle. Frankly you arguments are shallow and supported by even more confusing logic which seem more based on vibes than anything tangible. Maybe you have a personal problem with HP and JRPGs I don't know, but none makes sense being mentioned together to begin with let alone towards Spellblades. Last even if they sort of did for sake of why such a board category and specific only apply to Spellblades. You just seem bashing the show for random stuff you hate it.

In anycase have no longer interest in this absurd conversation.

Quote:
I've heard there's a big "twist" or something but I'm not sure I can be fucked to stick around until then. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Though to be honest I actually thought the series had a lot of promise in the first episode which is why I'm particularly harsh on it.
Given how completely nonsensical your POV is the twist won't even matter at this point and nothing would stop from portraying from worst especially when paradoxically claim the first episode for Spellblades show promise and then 2nd which built off it magically bad. Like don't think you even know what you want from this show let alone who making it. Besides the stories bigger moments won't come until like 5 episodes from now and still requires to have some interest in cast the story been building around by that point. With your excessively negative attitude towards the show as whole for otherwise benign things, it honestly sounds like your better off parting ways even before the next ep.

Quote:
I dunno, the shows' presentation and execution is pretty solid so far (and it's rumored this will have 15 episodes), I feel like it's deliberately taking it's time and easing the audience into everything and I think it's doing a good job of that so far.

FYI, for my part I have no problem with you liking it and I can totally see why others would. It just wasn't quite to my tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Yes, nothing wrong with having diverse tastes.

I already ordered the manga for Spellblades up to vol 6 from the recent Rightstuf sale (not bad at $7/vol). It was a daily megadeal but might come back on the last day of the birthday sales they're having, not sure when that exactly is.

The anime pacing seems like it will cover the vast majority of the manga that's already out.
The adaptation is rumored to be 15 episode in total and the manga adaptation has barely finished up to 2nd book. The anime more like cover more than that, at least up to vol 3. Its good stopping point that end first year of our core cast at Kimberly.

Last edited by Applehell; 2023-07-17 at 18:49.
Old 2023-07-17, 19:58   Link #74
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
You argue about characters being too generic I bring up examples of how some of actually have surprising subversions and twists on the common archetypes they come from to counter this and then you move goalposts claim they aren't interesting anyway. Sure as hell doesn't sound like the author going win with you regardless what he does, which means you inherent problems with the series beyond anyone can do anything about. Bokuto and JC Staff ultimately have no obligation to cater purely to your subjective preferences anyway.
Bro I've been waiting 5 posts for you to elaborate beyond calling her "unique" and generally derailing with your toxic fan BS. Seeing you try to claim the moral high ground is just laughable at this point.
Quote:
Yet, you can so confidently call Spellblades a generic HP and JRPG rip-off, two things already little in common in with each other and even less so with Spellblades. Again meaningless vagueities that couldn't somehow apply to any other property but Spellblades. Truly this show must be special to you.
What I actually said multiple times now is that the characters felt like cookie cutter shounen and/or RPG stock characters. I don't even like Harry Potter FFS.
Quote:
First off learn what an ad hominem is, I launched no personal attacks against you. Second you have yet proved why she's generic other saying she is and having a hairstyle.
While your attempt to shift the burden of proof is amusing it is still on you to prove she is "unique. I don't owe you any more examples when all you're being is evasive, condescending and misrepresenting what I have said. If you can't argue in good faith go bother someone else.
Quote:
I enjoyed it though it fell off a bit in the last few episodes. I mainly brought it up because the noble girl's attitude seemed similar to the ringtailed girl here... and the whole Iceblade/Spellblade similarity.
Old 2023-07-17, 20:04   Link #75
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Man, this is one troublesome school. Next time just give up on the book!

Also...pretty concerning that Nanao is that baffled on why someone wouldn't want to fight her to the death . We can talk about different cultures, but that really shouldn't be so baffling. You'd think someone that's killed a lot of people would know how death works. They die and chatting them up again becomes a bit more difficult going forward...

Honestly a good second episode. I respect that Katie just wants to protect as many animals as she can. While some things are unavoidable, that she tries to avoid what is avoidable is fine by me.
I wonder if this high is similar to playing a fast paced sport, maybe she just needs to pick up a tennis racket .
It's probably a bit more complicated than that if she's killed a lot of people, a different kind of rush.
Old 2023-07-17, 20:17   Link #76
Applehell

Quote:
Bro I've been waiting 5 posts for you to elaborate beyond calling her "unique" and generally derailing with your toxic fan BS. Seeing you try to claim the moral high ground is just laughable at this point.

Then you clearly haven't been reading my posts, from the last page:

Quote:
Like Chela for example, you would expect to be a typical ojou-sama who is all haughty & picks fights with lead female because she is the best, or sheltered princess archetype who is too kind to hurt a single thing. Instead she comes across more nuanced well rounded person who while quite clearly proud of her heritage but doesn't put on airs about it. She's quite also competitive without being obnoxious and has formed a informal parental team with similar mature Oliver to look for 4 members of their little group.
There is no way you could have predicted this would be her character and role in group be for she even opened her mouth so you can miss me with "generic" which has now lost all meaning.

Look at point you're are arguing with me in bad faith because it is obvious you don't like being wrong. A large amount of what your saying is just BS that barely consistent and incoherent at worst. I've tried to engage with you in earnest but if you just keep dismissing what is clearly apparent no matter what, I'm just going spare the rest of thread anymore clutter with this exhaustive discussion.
Old 2023-07-17, 21:49   Link #77
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
There is no way you could have predicted this would be her character and role in group be for she even opened her mouth so you can miss me with "generic" which has now lost all meaning.
I think "unique" is the word that has actually lost all meaning. You keep telling me I'm misunderstanding but the crux of what you're saying is that her character doesn't match her appearance which is why I brought up the fucking ringtails in the first place... We're just kinda going in circles here while you move the goalposts.

The parental vibe is pretty common in RPGs too... and fiction in general. I don't know what to tell you but I just don't see the uniqueness that you seem to.
Old 2023-07-21, 12:03   Link #78
Frontier

A Scavenger who desecrates corpses versus a Succubus who harvests men's seed so she can birth monsters from her belly (and get turned on by it in the process)...well, luckily they hate each other, which gives the gang an opportunity to get away while they fight. Or would have, if they didn't still seem determined to keep them there .

Nanao has arrived! I guess she followed the stench of death and arrived just in time to throw herself into the fray. Not that Oliver is going to let her go in alone .

Oh hey, Satoshi Hino! He's the student body president Alvin! And he and his buddy Carlos are there to actually save the day and clamp down on these renegade Senpai's. It's at least nice to know some senior students are actually looking out for their kouhai .

So Nanao has been battling all her life and seeking a worthy opponent who she can truly face against as an equal and achieve her style of fighting's sense of "happiness" in a true and fair duel to the death. Having failed to find that back home, even to the point of almost being killed because the guy she was hoping to fight fell in one slash from her blade, she was saved by Chela's dad (Toshihiko Seki!) who brought her to the school so she could live up to her potential .

To Nanao, crossing blades with Oliver and finding someone who can actually hold their own against her is the equivalent of falling in love with them, and the fact that he wouldn't carry out the duel to it's finish means he basically rejected her at least as far as her culture is concerned. Yet all the same...you can't just go around in life trying to meet and get along with people just so you can kill them in a duel to the death, and Nanao doesn't need to be living like she's got a death wish. Not when she's found Oliver, her friends, and people who care about her and want her to live. Plus she'll obviously need them to help get through school !

Nanao is getting up close and personal with Oliver! Intimately so! And he doesn't mind it! And Katie's a little jealous! Meanwhile Guy and Pete are enjoying the heck out of it .

So the titular Spellblades are one-hit kill moves? And there's only six known Spellblades even though there's a seventh in the title? So has someone achieved or will achieve the seventh Spellblade? Oliver looked kind of weird when they were talking about it .

This Andrews guy just will not shut up and leave well enough alone, he's not worth anyone's time, least of all Oliver who can't just throw a fight and be done with it because of Nanao and how much she esteems him now. Of course he has plenty of insecurity against Chela as it is from their time as childhood friends .

I shouldn't be surprised Katie is trying to save the troll from the first episode even if it puts her squarely in the sights of Darius who is pretty harsh and uncompromising, even to the point of hurting a student if they get in his way. Not to mention insulting Katie's parents and calling her a monkey. I don't like this dude .

At least cooler heads prevail and Luthor and the 4th year girl Vera manage to ward Darius off and keep the Troll alive until they figure out what happened. Monster Civil Rights for the win! And Katie seems to have made a likeminded friend in Vera !

Andrews thinks he can take on Nanao and Oliver? Together? Does he have a death wish ?
Old 2023-07-21, 13:30   Link #79
magnuskn

Hm, it seems the writers are cramming a bit too much into one episode. Tons of characters introduced, conflicts popping up everywhere and already some resolution to Nanao's problems (at least temporarily, I presume). I hope this doesn't fall under the curse of the "way too rushed adaptation" we had with the last season of Magical Index. It would help if the show gave the characters and setting some time to breathe.

Is this a one or two cours show? Seems that we already have enough problems and characters to fill out an entire cour from what happened here.
Old 2023-07-21, 17:14   Link #80
Applehell

Quote:
Oh hey, Satoshi Hino! He's the student body president Alvin! And he and his buddy Carlos are there to actually save the day and clamp down on these renegade Senpai's. It's at least nice to know some senior students are actually looking out for their kouhai .
Yeah there no way that cast choice was an accident lmao.

Quote:
Andrews thinks he can take on Nanao and Oliver? Together? Does he have a death wish ?
To be fair, they are both first years like him so he thinks they still can't really be that much better than him, maybe that is true. That said the core what driving his pride and inferiority complex he's developed from always playing 2nd string to Chela, he's just taking out them due to already being in a rut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Hm, it seems the writers are cramming a bit too much into one episode. Tons of characters introduced, conflicts popping up everywhere and already some resolution to Nanao's problems (at least temporarily, I presume). I hope this doesn't fall under the curse of the "way too rushed adaptation" we had with the last season of Magical Index. It would help if the show gave the characters and setting some time to breathe.

Is this a one or two cours show? Seems that we already have enough problems and characters to fill out an entire cour from what happened here.
There is cuts but nothing too concerning yet, all things in 3 past will feed into climax later. Also don't worry about Nanao, this only start of her recovery not the end point. That is all I can say as an novel reader.