AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 6 7.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 20.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 27.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 27.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 7.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-31, 13:36   Link #61
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The thing I liked the most about this episode was that it showed Uiharu is not just a meek little girl who will let anyone walk all over her. When Kuroko screwed up and started talking down Uiharu, she snapped back just the way she should have.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 15:15   Link #62
Arina-desu
Alena-chan :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I was totally swooning at hearing Misaka Mikoto saying "No good. No good at all!" in Umineko as Ange-Beato.
Haha! I totally agree!!
Arina-desu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 16:48   Link #63
Ghostfriendly

There was some good character development, but the action was so strained I just ended this ep with a bad feeling. Small children being employed in the police and knocking down grown men without even using superpowers also gets a bit unsuspendable sometimes. Only 6/10.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 17:21   Link #64
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Small children being employed in the police and knocking down grown men without even using superpowers also gets a bit unsuspendable sometimes. Only 6/10.
Well you can find exactly the same in many other anime series.

What is REALLY rare is the opposite thing - grown men knocking down small children.

But yes, they don't use superpowers too. Maybe shockers sometimes.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 17:24   Link #65
typhonsentra

"Grab the gun, grab the ****ing gun!"
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 18:14   Link #66
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Cyrus17 has a point. We often see children kicking adult's asses, but usually the children don't get serious hurt. I actually cringed at some of the scenes here, so the episode did a nice job.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 19:36   Link #67
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
There was some good character development, but the action was so strained I just ended this ep with a bad feeling. Small children being employed in the police and knocking down grown men without even using superpowers also gets a bit unsuspendable sometimes. Only 6/10.
It's pretty obvious from the way her superior was treating her and acting herself that they don't expect Judgement to be anything much more than support for the real police. And of course they have psychic powers, which it's easy to see would be very helpful. So I don't find the police employing them too implausible, as long as you realize that they're supposed to be more like Uiharu and less like Kuroko. It's more of a hall monitor kind of role than a SWAT team role.

Elementary school Kuroko knocking down a grown man is kind of weird though. I suppose it's theoretically possible if she's a judo expert or something, maybe, but it's still rather weird.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 21:02   Link #68
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaah????
Ange Ushiromiya. Railgun and her have the same VA. And the amount of tsun in Ange is too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Cyrus17 has a point. We often see children kicking adult's asses, but usually the children don't get serious hurt. I actually cringed at some of the scenes here, so the episode did a nice job.
Yes that was what made me respect Kuroko a bit more. I went into this thinking that it was just like other anime, where the girls are plot armored from taking damage at all. This episode showed that Kuroko was more than a fluff-bunny. AND she wasn't batshit crazy at all for the entire episode, so I am happy.
Old 2009-10-31, 21:06   Link #69
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Did you just totally not understand my post? This isn't about action. It's about whether Railgun should revolve around a central plot or be episodic. So far I'm content with the episodic action episodes of this show.
I think you missed my point. I'm saying it's silly of you to think it's silly of others to expect action/plot when the OP clearly points to there being at least some, even if you can't tell that the OP shows that there will be a plot. You're not the only person watching this show, you know. Others' opinions matter too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus17 View Post
Well you can find exactly the same in many other anime series.

What is REALLY rare is the opposite thing - grown men knocking down small children.
Granted I can't name too many anime series where we see this, but I don't consider it to be that rare; I've seen my fair share of it in anime. It's just really taboo in US television, so it may feel that way for some people. Besides, the guy is probably doing it mainly because he's an @$$, but he may also know that in this city a little kid can kick his sorry @$$ just as well as the next adult.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2009-10-31 at 21:16.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 22:17   Link #70
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Quote:
Yes that was what made me respect Kuroko a bit more. I went into this thinking that it was just like other anime, where the girls are plot armored from taking damage at all. This episode showed that Kuroko was more than a fluff-bunny. AND she wasn't batshit crazy at all for the entire episode, so I am happy.
Kuroko: "It was the worst first job ever." - Just compare it with her ace performance in the first eppie (it will actually take place in the future). I can say, when I was watching it, I couldn't imagine that her road to perfection was actually far from straight and easy. Think the word "respect" is the right one.

Meh, I'm starting to love Kuroko more and more.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?

Last edited by Cyrus17; 2009-10-31 at 22:40. Reason: wording
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 22:40   Link #71
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
again, why does the To Aru cast always get into nasty stuffs anyway!?
its like Touma's misfortune is spreading like a disease/virus through-out the city or something?
just everywhere they go, trouble will always awaits them, including while in the bathroom

now it reminds me of Detective Connan, just anywhere the cast members goes & went to, a murder case suddenly pops-up out of nowhere for a stupid god damn reason, right in the front of their eyes
its like a CURSE or something from The Mummy movies or something else?

& speaking of the bank's CRAPPY security systems, i think they need to watch Ghost in the Shell for some inspiration (no, not J.C. staff, the city's SECURITY staffs! )

man!!, i wish they made Misaka going Lara Croft in that bank & saves Kuroko's booty (yuri style ) instead of just standing there with the crowd & zapping the bad guy's super BB balls of doom so the loli yuri woman can finish him off

seriously? it makes the story more DARAMATIC!! filled with cliche heart thumping action!! & awsome "ROMANCE" cliche
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 22:51   Link #72
xKeen

I'm sure its not happening in their daily life.It would be lucky star if they animated daily stuff.
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 22:56   Link #73
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
It would be lucky star if they animated daily stuff.
Lucky Star with a higher voltage. I'd watch it.
Old 2009-10-31, 23:01   Link #74
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Kagami Railgun? USO DAAA!
Old 2009-10-31, 23:09   Link #75
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Ange Ushiromiya. Railgun and her have the same VA. And the amount of tsun in Ange is too!
Looks like you didn't played the sound novels :S so, I'll let you have that impression... for now *shows my best evil grin*

BTW I demand MORE serious Kuroko from JCStaff o_ó
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 23:33   Link #76
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

I finally know why I like this episode so much. I don't like plot holes, or character holes in this case. We know that Kuroko and Uiharu know each other from the first episode, but that relationship was never explored. I was so absorbed in the Mikoto/Kuroko interactions that I totally forgot about the others. This just connected everything needed for me, and we can almost start the serious part, although I would love to have more episodic flashback/pointless episodes like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I think you missed my point. I'm saying it's silly of you to think it's silly of others to expect action/plot when the OP clearly points to there being at least some, even if you can't tell that the OP shows that there will be a plot. You're not the only person watching this show, you know. Others' opinions matter too.
Um, if you can think that my opinion is silly, then I can think others' opinions are silly. They are welcomed to have opinions, and I am welcomed to believe some are silly.
Old 2009-10-31, 23:50   Link #77
Xacual

Also wasn't it just a post office with ATM machines to the side? It's not like it was a big bank or something with terrible security.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 00:26   Link #78
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Also wasn't it just a post office with ATM machines to the side? It's not like it was a big bank or something with terrible security.
In Japan, the post offices are banks too.
Ansalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 01:50   Link #79
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
In Japan, the post offices are banks too.
Wow, learning new things everyday.
Old 2009-11-01, 02:19   Link #80
xKeen

Quote:
Wow, learning new things everyday.
Heh,yeah.Do they really sell mobile phones in convenient stores?
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote