3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-04-28, 05:28   Link #61
p-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
If memory serves, her fighting style is heavily influenced by Pankration/ other western martial arts. Muai Thai looks likely too.
She uses Pankration (greek martial arts). I remember the stance from Kenichi (another anime that features Pankration).
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 05:43   Link #62
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
His rank is 兵士長(Solider's Leader). 兵士長 is the shortened word for 兵長. It is equivalent of Army's Lieutenant.
Wait, how is 兵士長 short for 兵長?

And I think you got it wrong. There's no way that rank could be translated as lieutenant. The kanji 士 denotes private, while 士長 means corporal, assuming that the ranks follow those of the Japanese Self-Defence Forces. Sergeants are 曹. Junior officers from lieutenant up to captain are represented by the kanji 尉, while senior officers from major up to colonel are 佐. Generals are represented by the familiar 将, one part of the word shougun ( 将軍 ).

I'm assuming that Irvin is at least a major or colonel, the typical ranks of the commanding officer of an infantry regiment. In any case, I don't expect an accurate use of ranks in the show, just that I was a bit puzzled to see Levi given the same rank as Irvin in a few translations, when it's clear that Levi is a subordinate and not a peer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
リヴァイ is Revai, shortened word for Revival. You can't find it in any English dictionary.
http://www.we blio.jp/content/%E3%83...82%A1%E3%82%A4
Your link doesn't work, so I can't tell if that's the canon explanation of Levi's name. "Revai" would seem out of place, given that most of the names we've heard so far are traditional Germanic, Hebrew or Slavic names. (The main character's name, for example, was more likely supposed to have been Aaron instead of Eren.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
This how it should have continue.
Spoiler for omitted content:

It's so romantic...
As already mentioned, those scenes may yet appear as flashbacks in a future episode. This is the reason I'm often frustrated by people who insist on making scene-for-scene comparisons between anime and manga. Think of them, instead, as two different and mutually unrelated continuities. That's the only way you can fairly judge each story on its own merits.

Quote:
Author is enthusiastic fan of MMA (mixed martial arts). So I would guess combination of Taekwondo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, these seems to be among common disciplines.
Interesting! No wonder Annie's manoeuvres look authentic, save perhaps for the shin kick that she used to knock down Eren the first time round. Given her size, I would have thought that aikido-related throws would work better for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
How is she "cute"? Hot, maybe, but she looks like a freaking eagle. Very Teutonic.
Eh, let's not get into a debate over the semantics of "hotness" and "cuteness". In this particular instance, I was referring to the same thing: physical attractiveness.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 05:50   Link #63
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
Anyway now that the dull training BS is over with hopefully the show will start rolling forward with the story proper.
Excuse me, but without the “dull training BS”, our protagonists can only do jack squat during Titan’s attacks. Unless you really enjoy watching the MCs just screaming, crying, and running all the time . Also, it’s thanks to the “dull training BS” that we’re introduced to interesting characters like Sasha, Annie, etc. See? The “dull training BS” is for character introduction as well as a bit of character development, one of the most important elements in good storytelling. Seriously....
Old 2013-04-28, 06:02   Link #64
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I thought it was great episode even before the Titan attack but it just got more amazing. Eren is just one hell of a character. Potato girl is pretty awesome too.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 06:53   Link #65
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

wait.... how can Hannes still alive??? I think he's already finished when Armored Titan destroyed Wall Maria
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 08:11   Link #66
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

BTW, just a reminder...it's not explicitely said but there's a 3 year timeskip between the first and second half of episode 4.

Quote:
Nooo! They reduced Eren x Annie shiping material on bare minimum (maybe even less)!

I guess I have to watch this only for spiderman army and titans:
They might use the rest like in the manga, as flashbacks when it matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
yeah I prefer Mikasa, though I wonder who would prevail in a fight.
They didn't add a line from the manga (right when Jean and Eren fought) where Reiner said that Eren was top of the class when it came to hand-to-hand combat, until Mikasa showed up and picked him up leading to Reiner saying "Or was it behind Mikasa?". Then again they kind of mixed two scenes together because the Jean vs Eren fight should have only happened at the end of the training and not the night after Eren first fought Annie in hand-to-hand.

But one can only assume that if Mikasa and Annie ever went one on one against each other then Mikasa would come out on top in every category, even hand-to-hand apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
wait.... how can Hannes still alive??? I think he's already finished when Armored Titan destroyed Wall Maria
Maybe he hid atop the walls after leaving Eren and Mikasa on the boat?
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 08:21   Link #67
ookamigirl

Character aptitudes were nice to watch.
It helped get to know certain characters better.
Annie kicking their asses in training was pretty LOL
Eren can be so serious sometimes that it's kinda scary.
It's nice they made this anime half fun and half deadly serious.
OMG! Last few minutes were just shockingly awesome!
Can't wait to see what happens next!!

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 09:35   Link #68
MartianMage

Mikasa always abusing Sasha lmao
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 09:53   Link #69
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Jeezed my pants at the end when the colossal titan showed again :O keep the good works !

Anyway , i like the name Annie "Leonhardt" it works well.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 10:06   Link #70
arkxkra
全力全開

i lol hard when Mikasa flame Sasha fart, it is hilarious

never thought it is so fast go back into action, can't wait for next episode!
Old 2013-04-28, 10:48   Link #71
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Excuse me, but without the “dull training BS”, our protagonists can only do jack squat during Titan’s attacks. Unless you really enjoy watching the MCs just screaming, crying, and running all the time . Also, it’s thanks to the “dull training BS” that we’re introduced to interesting characters like Sasha, Annie, etc. See? The “dull training BS” is for character introduction as well as a bit of character development, one of the most important elements in good storytelling. Seriously....
You can introduce characters a lot better then having still images of them going "This is what blah blah blah does". Also the training happens whether they show it or not so the MC's proficiency improves regardless. I didn't insinuate he didn't need training simply you didn't need to waste two episodes on it.

I know it must be utterly riveting showing people just sitting around in harnesses like last episode or fighting with little wooden knives these past few episodes simply felt like they were going through the motions without any effort into making these training segments enjoyable.

Either put your heart into it and devote several episodes to really fleshing out the training showing all aspects of how one learns how to fight with their weapons of choice or don't bother at all.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 10:54   Link #72
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post

Maybe he hid atop the walls after leaving Eren and Mikasa on the boat?
If I remember correctly there's a shot of Hannes in ep 1 where he's shown bloodied but alive after the Armored Titan breaks through the gate of Wall Maria.

I have a minor nitpick with this episode, did anyone notice Hannes' jacket magically switches from the Garrison emblem to Scouting Legion/Recon Corp emblem and then back again over the course of the few shots when he was talking with Eren?

@Ashlotte

Spoiler for spoilers to be safe:

Last edited by Raviel; 2013-04-28 at 11:10.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:03   Link #73
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Also Sasha's fart was priceless
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:06   Link #74
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post

Spoiler for spoilers to be safe:
To the letter? Debatable, but not far from the truth.
Old 2013-04-28, 11:12   Link #75
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Mikasa: top of her class, even hailed as an unprecedented genius by the instructor. Still think you don't need her anymore, Eren?

It makes me really happy that Mikasa is still stronger than Eren even after these years of training. It goes to show how dedicated she is to protecting him, although of course natural talent played a part as well. It's a bit surprising Eren ended up only fifth, even if that's still an extremely good ranking.

Sasha was still the highlight of the episode. Getting trolled and then forcefully fed by Mikasa, stealing the meat, rescuing her comrade in a totally awesome manner (she's not just a goof)... By the way, how do they aim with the 3D maneuver gear? I never really got that.
Old 2013-04-28, 11:19   Link #76
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post

Heh, it's because of things like that I'm happy I held off reading the manga. That scene was great.
I'd have loved to have waited but I decided to go ahead for 2 reasons:

1) I have not been this interested in a series in years and I couldn't handle potential cliffhangers for 25 episodes knowing the results were already out there, it was eating away at me

2) The internet at large and this forum specifically are a minefield for spoilers for this series (see: wall of deleted posts in image thread. etc). I wasn't willing to take the risk.

I wish you the utmost of luck in following this anime without being spoiled.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:20   Link #77
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
By the way, how do they aim with the 3D maneuver gear? I never really got that.
Magic, don't think too hard about it.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:21   Link #78
richardtengcy

Sasha aka Potato Girl did a front flip while running head down on a wall.....is that even fucking possible? Mad respect from me for this stunt.

Also the timely aim using the 3D gear at Samuel Leg by Sasha....how the hell was she able to do that from that distance?
I doubt Eren who is rank way higher than Sasha was able to do this.

Last edited by monir; 2013-04-28 at 17:38.
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:22   Link #79
Tenzen12

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Sasha is cool but I wonder how she did front flip without using gear on vertical wall. I am sure newton would forgive her though.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:24   Link #80
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post

2) The internet at large and this forum specifically are a minefield for spoilers for this series (see: wall of deleted posts in image thread. etc). I wasn't willing to take the risk.
Actually that wall was more from being off topic than actual spoilers xD

Anyway! They are different experiences but overall, you probably got the same or close to the same experience when you read this chapter in the manga...only you don't remember how you felt xD