Notices

Old 2008-05-26, 17:22   Link #61
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz View Post
Avalon was awesome, it was like GitS world in Russia.
tsk, tsk a little correction: it's Poland, not Russia
Great film nonetheless...

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Vibeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 07:25   Link #62
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

I for one will vote for Britney Spears as Makoto
Master Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 13:17   Link #63
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Motoko you mean, right?

And I can't see something as unlikely as the representation you suggested.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 15:42   Link #64
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Lightbulb Update (Credits : Sankaku)

The scriptwriter for Hollywood’s 2011 Ghost in the Shell has stressed the movie will be packed full of action. Hollywood scriptwriter Laeta Kalogridis told of what to expect from the live action in recent comments :

Quote:
“A lot of action… lots of action. There’s still going to be a lot of atmosphere – [The movie] is about vast possibilities – all of this technology, the Internet – it’s about the limitless possibilities of this technology. ”

In another interview she goes into more detail, emphasizing that the movie is based on the supposedly action-packed manga and not the pretentious pseudo-philosophical technobabble of the film:

Quote:
- Q: Is that a remake of the 1995 film or is that an adaptation of the earlier manga?

LK: “Ghost in the Shell” was originally the manga. The anime came from the original graphic novel and then — and that anime, as you know, is a relatively famous, groundbreaking piece of material — also generated two seasons of an animated television show as well.

And this is an adaptation of the original manga, the original comic book that sort of began everything.

- Q: It sounds like it’s going to be a really intelligent, visually cool sci-fi film. Do you see this as possibly paving the way for more live action adaptations of anime and mangas in Hollywood?

LK: I can’t really speak to the trend because certainly a lot of the stateside comic book sources and even U.K. comics that have been mined, I think there’s always room for new source material just like people.

I also think that a lot of the themes of anime as an art form are much more adult and darker than what people sometimes associate with the kinds of four-quadrant movies.For me, I don’t really know the answer to that, but I do think that Bill Gibson’s vision of an Eastern-informed West, where so much of our cultural reference points start to come from this shared literary history, I think that that’s definitely happening. And so, as mythos kind of evolves, and I think anime and manga are slowly becoming a big part of our mythos, I think yes, they’re sort of a natural fit for films .

Expect plenty of pitched gun battles in the dark futuristic streets of Neo-New York as aliens tear the city apart in pursuit of the Crystal.
Old 2010-02-03, 15:44   Link #65
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
holy damn this is gonna suck so much

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 16:08   Link #66
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Naah man stop being a hater it will be awesome like Chun Li . I haven't seen no promos or stills, till then I don't have any opinion . The only upcoming LvA Movie which looks pleasing/promising is Gantz .
Old 2014-04-30, 10:30   Link #67
ellifeedn
Thinker

Have there been any updates regarding this?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 17:32   Link #68
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Well, like I said, Mamoru Oshii's "Avalon" really is as close to live action GITS as you can get.

And it's a good movie to watch even without that element. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_%282001_film%29
Need to watch it
thanks
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 09:04   Link #69
saya_leviathan

Scarlett Johansson Signs On to Star in DreamWorks’ ‘Ghost in the Shell’

Quote:
Following the success of “Lucy,” Scarlett Johansson looks ready to take on another action pic, this one coming from the world of Japanese anime.

Johansson is set to star in DreamWorks’ adaptation of the popular anime pic “Ghost in the Shell.” Deadline Hollywood had reported that the actress had the offer to star but at the time she was still undecided about taking the role. Sources now say she has agreed to star in the pic.

The story follows the exploits of a member of a covert ops unit of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission that specializes in fighting technology-related crime.

Rupert Sanders is on board to direct. Avi Arad and Steven Paul are producing the film from a script by Bill Wheeler. Mark Sourian is exec producing.
I doubt they'll name her "Motoko Kusanagi" unless she's half-Japanese. Pff. They should have cast Rinko Kikuchi or any of the two Japanese actresses from The Wolverine.

Also, another interesting read here:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebar...movie-casting/
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 09:57   Link #70
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I've long since given up on the idea of Hollywood making anime/manga adaptation that is "right". They might as well tell their own vision of the story but still retain the spirit, theme and core of the source like the adaptation of Japanese novel All You Need is Kill which turned into Edge of Tomorrow. And if they do cast ScarJo as the Major, might as well change her name into Monica Kusinski or something like that. At least the character still has the same initials without the audience feeling weird watching a white gal who has oh-so-very-Japanese name.

If the maker of the movie at least has good intention of capturing the spirit of the manga/anime, I wish the adaptation all the luck. But if they have no respect and understanding for the material and just want a quick cashgrab then f*** you very much and I hope your movie join Dragon Ball Evolution in the bargain-bin hell, fast.
Old 2015-01-06, 10:16   Link #71
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
They might as well tell their own vision of the story but still retain the spirit, theme and core of the source like the adaptation of Japanese novel All You Need is Kill which turned into Edge of Tomorrow.
Is it a joke? If it is, it's not even funny. In Edge of tomorrow they leave only alien invasion, time loop and Rita. All idea of the book was butched and they turned the story into generic action.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 11:13   Link #72
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Is it a joke? If it is, it's not even funny. In Edge of tomorrow they leave only alien invasion, time loop and Rita. All idea of the book was butched and they turned the story into generic action.
It's a single two-hour-esque movie, man. What do you expect? Even Akira & GITS anime-movies (which many consider as masterpieces) left out a whole lot from the mangas. So yeah, of course they'll leave things out and simplify some other things, but at least we got ourselves a decent movie that still has the alien invasion, time-loop, and Rita done pretty well (Even critics like it and think it's good. Yes the same guys who usually butcher movies like this). Compared to the likes of DBE, Transformers sequels, Kite, Fist of the North Star, and other duds like that, Edge of Tomorrow feels like an Oscar-winning movie.
Old 2015-01-06, 11:44   Link #73
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

The book is small novel about 100 pages. It's not so hard to fit in 2h movie. And I'm not complaining about movie being almost nothing simple with a book. I'm complaining that you said that it perfectly adapted books atmosphere and idea. Which is not even funny to presume.
Old 2015-01-06, 12:44   Link #74
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The book is small novel about 100 pages. It's not so hard to fit in 2h movie. And I'm not complaining about movie being almost nothing simple with a book. I'm complaining that you said that it perfectly adapted books atmosphere and idea. Which is not even funny to presume.
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said "perfectly adapted books atmosphere and idea". You're blowing my comment out of proportion. I humbly said "retain the spirit, theme and core of the source" which is pretty basic. To what degree? That'll be subjective to each person who have seen EoT, but I think the movie did enough 'retaining the spirit' to be called a good adaptation of AYNiK. And retaining the spirit of the source is not the only thing that matters in an adaptation. It also has to know how to execute it in different medium, which in this case EoT did quite well with the materials they decided to put on-screen imo. If you still find this comment of mine a joke, we better agree to disagree right now.
Old 2015-01-06, 13:00   Link #75
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
retain the spirit, theme and core of the source
Which is still not true. The book had an idea and it had that bittersweet atmosphere which fit it perfectly. While the movie simplified it into typical Hollywood blockbuster with no idea and happy ending. It's decent as a standalone movie but trying to compare it to the book is disrespect towards AYNiK. I won't say the book is perfect itself but still
Old 2015-01-06, 17:59   Link #76
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I was wondering if a thread for this movie would show up, and didn't even realize it already existed from almost 8 years ago (I almost said seven- still having to adjust to 2015). What's next- Evangelion finally getting their live-action adaption?

Anyways, to me, this is even worse than the sin 47 Ronin committed, with having White Guy lead Japanese Guys so that Hollywood Accepts It. There was a tiny bit of wiggle room that 47 Ronin could get away with, but having a White Woman Play A Japanese Woman For Hollywood... I'm sorry, but now that's crossing the line. I'm reminded of a sketch Conan did recently about how critics were complaining with who the actors were in Exodus (or maybe it was Moses- I don't remember off the top of my head), and the short version is, they have to use white people as leads in order for these things to get through Hollywood. I'll give it a chance, but I have a feeling that this is going to be a very different story with the same name at the end of the day.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 18:05   Link #77
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

as i said in the other thread, If Spielberg wants a big money production he will need to sign up big name actors and actress. The Money Man is not going to roll out a couple of Hundred Million if the star is a no name actress.

Casting Rinko Kikuchi would probably give Spielberg a budget of 30-50m. Casting Johansson probably gave Spielberg a budget of 100-300m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
I was wondering if a thread for this movie would show up, and didn't even realize it already existed from almost 8 years ago (I almost said seven- still having to adjust to 2015). What's next- Evangelion finally getting their live-action adaption?

Anyways, to me, this is even worse than the sin 47 Ronin committed, with having White Guy lead Japanese Guys so that Hollywood Accepts It. There was a tiny bit of wiggle room that 47 Ronin could get away with, but having a White Woman Play A Japanese Woman For Hollywood... I'm sorry, but now that's crossing the line. I'm reminded of a sketch Conan did recently about how critics were complaining with who the actors were in Exodus (or maybe it was Moses- I don't remember off the top of my head), and the short version is, they have to use white people as leads in order for these things to get through Hollywood. I'll give it a chance, but I have a feeling that this is going to be a very different story with the same name at the end of the day.

Don't worry the Major in this movie will not be Japanese.
Old 2015-01-06, 18:13   Link #78
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Which was exactly my point/problem... Rinko Kikuchi would be such a better choice, but as you just said, Big Budget needs Big Name Actresses.

I practically expect this movie to flop hard.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 18:16   Link #79
monster

It's been a while since I've seen Ghost in the Shell, but is there any reason why the lead female has to be ethnically Japanese? Does her ethnicity play a significant part in the story? Otherwise, she could be a foreigner who grew up in Japan. And if they want a Japanese name, she could even be an orphan in Japan who was adopted and given a (new) name by a Japanese family.

EDIT: And as far as I'm concerned, Dragon Ball Evolution being bad (or not) has nothing to do with the ethnicity of the actor playing Goku. That's just a petty complaint. The same thing with The Last Airbender.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 19:14   Link #80
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Which is still not true. The book had an idea and it had that bittersweet atmosphere which fit it perfectly. While the movie simplified it into typical Hollywood blockbuster with no idea and happy ending. It's decent as a standalone movie but trying to compare it to the book is disrespect towards AYNiK. I won't say the book is perfect itself but still
Agree to disagree it is then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
It's been a while since I've seen Ghost in the Shell, but is there any reason why the lead female has to be ethnically Japanese? Does her ethnicity play a significant part in the story? Otherwise, she could be a foreigner who grew up in Japan. And if they want a Japanese name, she could even be an orphan in Japan who was adopted and given a (new) name by a Japanese family.

EDIT: And as far as I'm concerned, Dragon Ball Evolution being bad (or not) has nothing to do with the ethnicity of the actor playing Goku. That's just a petty complaint. The same thing with The Last Airbender.
That's partly what I meant in my first post. The Major doesn't have to be Japanese in the Hollywood version. But if they want to change her character into American white gal, might as well change her name into American-white-gal-name like Monica Kusinski or other names that still has the same initial as a homage to the orginal name instead of giving us convoluted plot just to have her named Motoko Kusanagi.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2015-01-06 at 19:28.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote