AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 6 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 21.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 21.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-15, 07:39   Link #61
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 7:

Had a good laugh when Yohane did the cosplay. Her face paint somehow reminded me of Hisouka from Hunter x.

Oh, and I'm starting to like Yuu. She likes costumes and good at making costumes. She reminds me of the tailor of our cosplay group. Sad that our group is too out of funds right now to make costumes for characters here in Sunshine. >< Hmm, and her liking to salute and saying military related stuff like "full speed ahead" in an earlier episode amuses me.

Riko can take a break at last from getting chased by dog. Shiitake can't wait for her to get back. XD

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2016-08-15 at 07:51.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 10:30   Link #62
Ulin

Well, for me it's been a fun episode, specially since it is not similar to any other in the OG: I was getting a bit tired with the paralelisms and this episode, even with the muse references, has been one of my favourites so far. In fact, I had expected more references, because if there's an episode in which you can make cameos, and musegasms, is this.

And the rivals appear, and they seem, at least at first sight, less... friendly than A-RISE, but we will have to see. In this show noone seems to be the bad guy.

And the one thing that bothers me, is the completely lack of Kanan. I though she would be the center of the 3d years drama, but they will have to make up much time screen since we barely know anything and she hardly ever appears in the show

And @Triple_R fear not, you are not alone in your way of thinking
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 11:06   Link #63
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulin View Post

And the rivals appear, and they seem, at least at first sight, less... friendly than A-RISE, but we will have to see. In this show noone seems to be the bad guy.
I hope Saint Snow is played up as harsh and tough rivals. They don't have to be downright villainous cheaters, but I hope they take a harsh "bring it, newbs!" approach to Aqours.

This is one way that Sunshine could really stand out from the OG, by going for a stronger sports anime feel. Even I'll admit that the OG was kinda weak in that area - The OG gave us a 99% friendly rivalry that didn't even have a good Rocky Balboa-like climax, imo.

Quote:
And the one thing that bothers me, is the completely lack of Kanan.
Yeah, I definitely hope we'll see more of Kanan in future episodes.

Quote:
And @Triple_R fear not, you are not alone in your way of thinking
Thank you for that.
Old 2016-08-17, 02:48   Link #64
Kakurin
大佐

I was pretty glad that Riko shot down the idea of visiting Otonokizaka. That would've been too cheesy. The stairs scene was good enough (although I echo the sentiment that it would've worked out better without the "Oh my god, Muse ran up those stairs!!!", the whole spelt out Muse worshipping in Sunshine is a bit too much for my taste).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This is now seven straight episodes of substantial μ's referencing, and when the girls actually go to Tokyo, they refuse to give us even a brief cameo by a notable character from the original show? In my view, it's a terrible tease. If they're not going to give us a μ's cameo, then shut up about them. This is just painfully teasing to me...
I half-expected seeing Nozomi in her shrine-clothing with a broom in the background at the shrine.

Quote:
The Ruby/Dia and Mari/Dia scenes were very good. Some of the comedy was good. I'm glad to see Aqours get actual rivals, but their introduction was really over-the-top (figuratively and literally ).

In most respects, when it comes to the total package, I'm not quite feeling this show. I have to be honest there.
Sunshine is good and I really like Zuramaru, You and Ruby, but I am feeling that they are trying too hard in some respects. Like the constant Muse worshipping. Or the over-the-top antics.
Old 2016-08-17, 08:05   Link #65
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

I don't get it though.

Chika, Ruby, and Dia are, in fact, highly influenced by myu's. In fact, They both continued to practice myu's songs, got OTHERS to join them by myu's referencing, and continued to adore them even after their last performance was 4 years ago (it goes more for Ruby than for Chika though, who just discovered school idols before Spring) I don't think all these references are just put there to say, "Hey, we know our OG." No, I think that Chika's personality is a walking myu's referencing machine. I would go as far to say that this anime would be downright unrealistic and out-of-character if Chika isn't referencing myu's one way or another. I think it's a disservice to the show if Chika didn't mention about Yume no Tobira, if Ruby didn't say anything about Rin when referring to Hanamaru, when Chika's cheesy line isn't soms copy of myu's, when Dia exactly acts like Eli because she's her favorite girl, when Chika didn't glee on happiness when, by some kind of coincidence, the school was, being integrated (it wasn't actually being "shut down", if you think about it carefully: branch schools are a thing)

To say that how constantly it mimicks the original LL is a misnomer. Instead, it feels like their personality makes them go down the same path myu's went, making it seem like LLS is mimicking LL, when, in reality, it's not.

You need to realize that everything happened so far because they were practically wishing for it. And it just so happens that schools tend to get consolidated in the provinces. Especially rural areas.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 17:33   Link #66
kitten320

Aquas never will be as entertaining as Muse cause they are their replica. And the more we learn about them, the more obvious it is. Granted, series finally started to have some bits of plot of their own, they still borrow a lot from original.

The only truly, interesting thing so far are 3rd years and their drama. While we already have a good idea of what it is, it's still nicely set up and stands on its own. Everything else, not really. Sunshine is an extremely exaggerated Muse.

Friendship handshake? Let's do it over window and almost fall over.
Cool rivals? Let's make them do flip backs.
Nico's double personality? Let's exaggerate and make Yohane not realize she is doing it.
School friends helping out? Let's have whole city help out!
Maki with very rich parents? Nah, let's have Mari be school director!

Sunshine is all about exaggeration to the point it becomes ridiculous. I don't think I'll ever get over a fact that they have teenager who is a student, in charge of the same school...
Old 2016-08-17, 18:07   Link #67
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

As is, Aquors wouldn't be more interesting than myu's because of Chika more anything else really. Chika is trying to copy myu's, she may not be able to influence some of the things, there's no doubt Chika is trying to copy out myu's path as much as she can. If a copycat is trying to do copycat murders, he/she will always try to copy out as much detail as possible, even though they're actually different murder MOs.

That's what this makes this episode so interesting: everything else, all the setup she did, all the things she has continued to do which she has only been able to do because she had a shadow on her back, and all the things the universe has done for her (don't get me wrong: for me, the entire Love Live franchise has been ridiculous right from the beginning. Lives on the street with incoming cars? Maki and Riko being able to compose entire songs out of nowhere? Gravity-defying objects? Exaggerated actions? Characters appearing heavily implied to be their future counterpart?) These actions are all precursor to the truth waiting for her: how much Chika continues to facade the plot of myu's onto her timeline, despite all its differences - it's going to go down on her soon that Aquors cannot be myu's, that Aquors as a mere copy of myu's just isn't going to cut it, that she would realize she has only gone so far because currently, she's only living in the actions of her senpai.

This isn't Aquors being similar to myu's, this is Aquors TRYING to be similar to myu's. That's actually a bad thing for them. If she keeps up, Aquors can never go beyond being a shadow copy of them.

The realization that they continue to avert their eyes on is what makes this show so interesting.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 18:35   Link #68
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Aquas never will be as entertaining as Muse cause they are their replica. And the more we learn about them, the more obvious it is. Granted, series finally started to have some bits of plot of their own, they still borrow a lot from original.

The only truly, interesting thing so far are 3rd years and their drama. While we already have a good idea of what it is, it's still nicely set up and stands on its own. Everything else, not really. Sunshine is an extremely exaggerated Muse.

Friendship handshake? Let's do it over window and almost fall over.
Cool rivals? Let's make them do flip backs.
Nico's double personality? Let's exaggerate and make Yohane not realize she is doing it.
School friends helping out? Let's have whole city help out!
Maki with very rich parents? Nah, let's have Mari be school director!

Sunshine is all about exaggeration to the point it becomes ridiculous. I don't think I'll ever get over a fact that they have teenager who is a student, in charge of the same school...
The friendship handshake is inconsequential, Saint Snow is more athletic and antagonistic than A-RISE, Yoshiko is a little torn between her personas, and Maki's wealth is inconsequential while Mari's wealth lands her in a frienemy role. Meanwhile, Ruby is a better Hanayo, Chika is a stealth introvert compared to Honoka's extrovert, and nobody else in Aqours 1:1 μ's with analogs. The issue is Sunshine!! can't stop referencing μ's when Aqours is distinct enough to not need it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
As is, Aquors wouldn't be more interesting than myu's because of Chika more anything else really. Chika is trying to copy myu's, she may not be able to influence some of the things, there's no doubt Chika is trying to copy out myu's path as much as she can. If a copycat is trying to do copycat murders, he/she will always try to copy out as much detail as possible, even though they're actually different murder MOs.

That's what this makes this episode so interesting: everything else, all the setup she did, all the things she has continued to do which she has only been able to do because she had a shadow on her back, and all the things the universe has done for her (don't get me wrong: for me, the entire Love Live franchise has been ridiculous right from the beginning. Lives on the street with incoming cars? Maki and Riko being able to compose entire songs out of nowhere? Gravity-defying objects? Exaggerated actions? Characters appearing heavily implied to be their future counterpart?) These actions are all precursor to the truth waiting for her: how much Chika continues to facade the plot of myu's onto her timeline, despite all its differences - it's going to go down on her soon that Aquors cannot be myu's, that Aquors as a mere copy of myu's just isn't going to cut it, that she would realize she has only gone so far because currently, she's only living in the actions of her senpai.

This isn't Aquors being similar to myu's, this is Aquors TRYING to be similar to myu's. That's actually a bad thing for them. If she keeps up, Aquors can never go beyond being a shadow copy of them.

The realization that they continue to avert their eyes on is what makes this show so interesting.
To my previous point, what you laid out is the best thing Sunshine!! can do in the next episode. But it isn't even Aqours trying to be μ's, but Chika wanting to be μ's. Dia, Ruby, and Hanamaru referenced μ's as part of their story and inspiration in episode 4, but from then on it's been all "them"; Yoshiko, You, Riko, and Mari haven't brought up μ's at all. Nobody else has followed Chika's lead to want to be like μ's, and she's still the only one regularly referencing them. If Aqours' upcoming defeat in the next episode fails to have Chika realize this, Sunshine!!'s quality is doomed to never go past a certain point
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 19:00   Link #69
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
The friendship handshake is inconsequential, Saint Snow is more athletic and antagonistic than A-RISE, Yoshiko is a little torn between her personas, and Maki's wealth is inconsequential while Mari's wealth lands her in a frienemy role.
I have to say that I disagree with half of this, and maybe most of it.

Friendship handshakes in this franchise tend to mean a lot, and the friendship handshake between Chika and Riko in Episode 2 is no exception. These friendship handshakes are not inconsequential.

Saint Snow may well be more acrobatic than A-RISE, but it's not like A-RISE are chumps. A-RISE's dancing was excellent and entertaining. A-RISE's dancing is superb as it is, and it's as good as it needed to be (A-RISE wasn't perfect, don't get me wrong, but dancing was a real strength for them). Saint Snow might be more antagonistic than A-RISE, and I hope they will be, but let's not forget that Saint Snow complimented Aqours in this episode. And I didn't get the impression that the compliment was insincere or sarcastic.

Yoshiko is a little torn between her two personas. So yeah, that's a little different. Which is good. But it would be nice to have more than just a bunch of little differences.

Maki's wealth was not inconsequential. Maki's wealth enabled good group-bonding getaways to picturesque locations.

Kitten320 does have a point. Yes, Sunshine is putting a little twist or swerve or exaggeration on almost every area of similarity, but the basic similarity is still there. The only things that feel truly different to me is the 3rd years' drama, and the sibling dynamic between Dia and Ruby given that both of them are going to be in Aqours and both of them are/were school idol fans. It's perhaps no coincidence that these are the elements of the show that interest me the most right now, and which I find the most emotionally compelling right now.

I ultimately agree with you that the endless references really are the biggest problem, but their impact is probably made greater due to all the similarities that kitten pointed out.

Similar/exaggerated story beats + endless references = Fans of the OG aren't given a real chance to put the OG aside and truly embrace Aqours as Aqours.

In other words, you can have similar/exaggerated story beats, or you can have endless references, but both is severely pushing it, and is thus far making it really hard for Aqours to stand out as their own group with their own story.

However, this could all completely change in Episode 8. The potential is there for Aqours to at last stand on their own feet facing their own challenges. A lot is riding on Saint Snow now, in my view.
Old 2016-08-17, 19:30   Link #70
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
I have to say that I disagree with half of this, and maybe most of it.

Friendship handshakes in this franchise tend to mean a lot, and the friendship handshake between Chika and Riko in Episode 2 is no exception. These friendship handshakes are not inconsequential.

Saint Snow may well be more acrobatic than A-RISE, but it's not like A-RISE are chumps. A-RISE's dancing was excellent and entertaining. A-RISE's dancing is superb as it is, and it's as good as it needed to be (A-RISE wasn't perfect, don't get me wrong, but dancing was a real strength for them). Saint Snow might be more antagonistic than A-RISE, and I hope they will be, but let's not forget that Saint Snow complimented Aqours in this episode. And I didn't get the impression that the compliment was insincere or sarcastic.

Yoshiko is a little torn between her two personas. So yeah, that's a little different. Which is good. But it would be nice to have more than just a bunch of little differences.

Maki's wealth was not inconsequential. Maki's wealth enabled good group-bonding getaways to picturesque locations.

Kitten320 does have a point. Yes, Sunshine is putting a little twist or swerve or exaggeration on almost every area of similarity, but the basic similarity is still there. The only things that feel truly different to me is the 3rd years' drama, and the sibling dynamic between Dia and Ruby given that both of them are going to be in Aqours and both of them are/were school idol fans. It's perhaps no coincidence that these are the elements of the show that interest me the most right now, and which I find the most emotionally compelling right now.

I ultimately agree with you that the endless references really are the biggest problem, but their impact is probably made greater due to all the similarities that kitten pointed out.

Similar/exaggerated story beats + endless references = Fans of the OG aren't given a real chance to put the OG aside and truly embrace Aqours as Aqours.

In other words, you can have similar/exaggerated story beats, or you can have endless references, but both is severely pushing it, and is thus far making it really hard for Aqours to stand out as their own group with their own story.

However, this could all completely change in Episode 8. The potential is there for Aqours to at last stand on their own feet facing their own challenges. A lot is riding on Saint Snow now, in my view.
Episode 2's balcony scene is more about Riko reaching out to things that seem out of reach literally and metaphorically to coincide overcoming her piano troubles, and the look Saint Snow gave to the Aqours six is sharper than A-RISE's declaration to μ's in OG s2 ep3. Yoshiko fulfills a role similar to Nico but their personalities are very different. Then there's the relatively normal You, Riko who's more like Mio from K-On! than anyone in the series, then Hanamaru, Dia, and Mari who don't have 1:1 perfect analogs with μ's. Maki's wealth is used for 2 episodes while Mari has it to bring a big thrust for the entire show. Aqours' only trouble with distinguishing itself is Sunshine!!'s inability to stop reminding us of μ's, and the only characters I'd have trouble telling apart are Ruby and Hanayo and maybe Chika and Honoka
GANBARIMASU
Old 2016-08-17, 20:01   Link #71
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Episode 2's balcony scene is more about Riko reaching out to things that seem out of reach literally and metaphorically to coincide overcoming her piano troubles,
That's not really much different than the big handshake scenes in LL Season 1.

Quote:
and the look Saint Snow gave to the Aqours six is sharper than A-RISE's declaration to μ's in OG s2 ep3.
This looks plenty sharp to me...

Spoiler for Love Live Season 2 Episode 3:

Look, could Saint Snow be very different? Sure, hopefully they will be. But we're not there yet.

Quote:
Aqours' only trouble with distinguishing itself is Sunshine!!'s inability to stop reminding us of μ's, and the only characters I'd have trouble telling apart are Ruby and Hanayo and maybe Chika and Honoka
No, that's not the only trouble. They are using a lot of similar/exaggerated story-beats. There is a lot of reshuffling of character appearances/traits going on. A bunch of little differences does not change that. Just speaking for myself, those little differences don't yet add up as much as all the similarities do.

Cutting back on the references would help, but that's not the only thing I want to see change here. I'd also like to see the story itself branch off and become truly different at some point. This could in fact happen in Episode 8, and I hope it does, but it remains to be seen. Now if the story itself goes in a different direction, then the character similarities become less of an issue, and maybe even a strong positive.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2016-08-17 at 20:18.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 20:55   Link #72
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
This looks plenty sharp to me...

Spoiler for Love Live Season 2 Episode 3:

Look, could Saint Snow be very different? Sure, hopefully they will be. But we're not there yet.

No, that's not the only trouble. They are using a lot of similar/exaggerated story-beats. There is a lot of reshuffling of character appearances/traits going on. A bunch of little differences does not change that. Just speaking for myself, those little differences don't yet add up as much as all the similarities do.

Cutting back on the references would help, but that's not the only thing I want to see change here. I'd also like to see the story itself branch off and become truly different at some point. This could in fact happen in Episode 8, and I hope it does, but it remains to be seen. Now if the story itself goes in a different direction, then the character similarities become less of an issue, and maybe even a strong positive.
A-RISE has the added benefit of getting cozy with μ's first, then Saint Snow walks by the rest of the Aqours six after their performance and the latter realizes they might be in over their heads while A-RISE already respected μ's during first contact. That leaves me cautiously optimistic something comes of Aqours' and Saint Snow's disparity

Calling out a similarity to μ's because of reshuffling is like saying The Creation of Adam is similar to Doni Tondo because they involve biblical figures and rearrange similar colors; I'm focusing on the bigger picture myself
GANBARIMASU
Old 2016-08-17, 22:23   Link #73
Triple_R
*Author

The bigger picture is itself the main similarity here.

Compare the way the plot unfolds in the first 6 episodes of the OG to the way the plot unfolds in the first 6 episodes of Sunshine. There are major similarities in the broad strokes area. The "bigger picture" is in fact where the two shows are most similar so far. It's only when you get down into specific details or specific character traits that things start to diverge some, thankfully.

What I'd most like to see is a bigger picture that's different. And yes, Saint Snow being very antagonistic towards Aqours would accomplish that. It would ensure that the main rivalry of Sunshine has a very different feel and tone than the main rivalry of the OG, which would be a broad strokes level difference.
Old 2016-08-18, 04:52   Link #74
Seihai
スマイリウム

To me, ultimately, similarities are just a by product of being a chronological sequel. The bigger picture I find to be, well, I'm not actually sure, but at the moment I would say the bigger picture would be Chika's answer to herself, her group, and Aquors as a whole which we may not find out by the end of this cour. Whether her answer will be same or similar to Honoka's answer to everything is up in the air, and frankly I don't care if it ends up becoming the same so long as everything leading up to it gave enough impact. Preventing Uranohoshi from getting merged is also part of the big picture imo, but that's a matter of course (although it would be a twist if they failed to do so in the end lol).

This brings up a question I've always wanted to ask, but how much do people actually empathize with the characters, specifically Chika? Sympathy with her doesn't seem too big because she mentions Muse so often which is a critical point to a lot of people. But do they comprehend and acknowledge the interior of, in this case, Chika's POV that in the end leads to everything she does, says, etc.? Before questioning the quality of the writing and whatever schnickschnack people judge, I personally find it interesting to try and put myself into the shoes of every character and see if I can feel the same way.

For instance in this episode, the stairs scene: Chika blatantly calls out to Muse while running up the stairs because of her genuine fascination. I would do the exact same thing (maybe not yell in public because it's embarassing but that's real life for you ). In fact, when I visited the very same stairs in Japan last year, I had the same reaction as her. I went like "oh my god, it's the place where Muse practiced every morning!" And when I can empathize like that, I can't really fault Chika's actions as much as I do understand why some people get turned off by exactly that.
Old 2016-08-18, 09:24   Link #75
Triple_R
*Author

@Seihai Chika's really on the edge for me. There's times I find her character very endearing, particularly in some of the more emotional moments in Episodes 1 and 3. There's other times I feel like she has a superficial understanding of what she loves, and that I'd like to see her get a bit of a wake-up call, frankly.

Chika fangasming only bothers me at a meta level, really. I don't necessarily think less of Chika because of it. Chika could easily become my favorite Aqours girl before the show is over, as there is a lot to like about her. A lot depends on if she starts facing real setbacks soon, and if so, how she responds to them.
Old 2016-08-18, 13:37   Link #76
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
The bigger picture is itself the main similarity here

Compare the way the plot unfolds in the first 6 episodes of the OG to the way the plot unfolds in the first 6 episodes of Sunshine. There are major similarities in the broad strokes area. The "bigger picture" is in fact where the two shows are most similar so far. It's only when you get down into specific details or specific character traits that things start to diverge some, thankfully
Legit question to everyone, but how many story beats can a sequel have before it starts to be too similar? How much variation on the same story does there need to be to not notice or mind the same thing is happening?
Quote:
Chika fangasming only bothers me at a meta level, really. I don't necessarily think less of Chika because of it. Chika could easily become my favorite Aqours girl before the show is over, as there is a lot to like about her. A lot depends on if she starts facing real setbacks soon, and if so, how she responds to them
Dia, Hanamaru, Ruby, and Chika's μ's love started as inspiration but only one of them let it define her, who's also the lead and consequently the one I look forward to seeing the least every week; Sunrise overcame referential temptation except for the one character with the most screen time
GANBARIMASU
Old 2016-08-18, 18:23   Link #77
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Dia, Hanamaru, Ruby, and Chika's μ's love started as inspiration but only one of them let it define her, who's also the lead and consequently the one I look forward to seeing the least every week; Sunrise overcame referential temptation except for the one character with the most screen time
Referring to the parts that I put in bold. And I think that's really the problem here.
Which is why Chika is my least favorite character in this show.

Anyway, still looking forward to next week. Need more Yuu and Yohane.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-18, 19:23   Link #78
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Legit question to everyone, but how many story beats can a sequel have before it starts to be too similar?
It's not just about the sheer number of similar story beats. It's also about how big the similar story beats are.

An example - I've read some viewers express displeasure with Sunshine going with a school closure/merger plot point (and honestly, the "merger" distinction loses value when Chika clearly acts thrilled over how this means she gets to be even more like her heroes). That's only one story beat similarity, but it's a big one. Because it was a central story beat in LL Season 1 that drove the bulk of the plot.

Now, I don't necessarily mind reusing the school closure/merger story beat, but I think by going with that, it becomes that much more desirable for Sunshine to find a broad strokes difference that distinguishes it from the OG. Saint Snow being very antagonistic towards Aqours could accomplish that. There may be other ways for Sunshine to accomplish this, but honestly, I haven't seen it yet.

I suppose you could argue rural setting vs. urban setting is a broad strokes difference, but this rural setting isn't exactly Non Non Biyori and it hasn't been fleshed out that much aside from some beach scenes. Sunshine needs to focus a little more on its core setting if the rural vs. urban difference is to feel like a major difference.

Quote:
You're really overstating this argument. Sunrise is not overcoming referential temptation except for Chika.

Question:
Which character in this episode said "These are the stairs were μ's always practiced", while looking up at those stairs in smiling awe?

Hint:
It's not Chika...

Honestly, Chika is getting a little too much blame for this. The excessive referencing goes beyond just her, it really does.
Old 2016-08-18, 23:04   Link #79
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
You're really overstating this argument. Sunrise is not overcoming referential temptation except for Chika.

Question:
Which character in this episode said "These are the stairs were μ's always practiced", while looking up at those stairs in smiling awe?

Hint:
It's not Chika...

Honestly, Chika is getting a little too much blame for this. The excessive referencing goes beyond just her, it really does.
Episode 2--Dia's tirade establishes a fanaticism that would've justified her making references. They haven't abused this

Episode 4--Eli, Hanayo, and Rin are painted as inspirations for Dia, Ruby, and Hanamaru. They don't pull this card again

Episode 7--Ruby mentions μ's when she's next to the stairs they've used. Some of the others want to visit Otonokizaka when it's close by

Point being the references are part of the characters (the Kurosawa sisters and Hanamaru, mainly) instead of something that overtakes them
Quote:
It's not just about the sheer number of similar story beats. It's also about how big the similar story beats are.

An example - I've read some viewers express displeasure with Sunshine going with a school closure/merger plot point (and honestly, the "merger" distinction loses value when Chika clearly acts thrilled over how this means she gets to be even more like her heroes). That's only one story beat similarity, but it's a big one. Because it was a central story beat in LL Season 1 that drove the bulk of the plot.

Now, I don't necessarily mind reusing the school closure/merger story beat, but I think by going with that, it becomes that much more desirable for Sunshine to find a broad strokes difference that distinguishes it from the OG. Saint Snow being very antagonistic towards Aqours could accomplish that. There may be other ways for Sunshine to accomplish this, but honestly, I haven't seen it yet

I suppose you could argue rural setting vs. urban setting is a broad strokes difference, but this rural setting isn't exactly Non Non Biyori and it hasn't been fleshed out that much aside from some beach scenes. Sunshine needs to focus a little more on its core setting if the rural vs. urban difference is to feel like a major difference
More than antagonism, I want the upcoming disparity between Aqours and Saint Snow to make Chika realize aping μ's is not the way to go. Her references become justifiable in the same way naivety awakens to reality

The similar story beats don't bother me as much as others due to a lot of differences. SS!! ep2 is Riko's while OG's ep2 is nobody's, SS!! ep4 connects to another conflict while Dia has a bigger role than Maki did in OG ep4, SS!! ep5 is a Yoshiko and Hanamaru ep while OG ep5 is only Nico. It also helps Ruby is closest to the 3rd year drama, building 2.1 characters to OG's 1

SS!! ep3 is OG ep3, then there's the questionable SS!! ep6 due to someone's excitement to further mimic μ's

However, Sunshine!! continuing the references the way they have will keep it where it is, and rushing the 3rd year drama is a net negative since fumbled originality is pointless
GANBARIMASU

Last edited by Akito Kinomoto; 2016-08-18 at 23:15.
Old 2016-08-19, 22:32   Link #80
grecefar

is good that they don't stop de comedy, pretty funny chapter but what was the point of the acrobatic in the temple? intimidating? meh~ I would have laughed at her.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote