3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-07, 22:46   Link #61
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicili View Post
Umm...what's the theory? I don't get it.
Spoiler for Regarding the theory:
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 00:46   Link #62
Irenesharda

Gentlemen! (and ladies) He can be taught!

The difference between the Subaru here and the one we saw before is like night and day. While he's still got his quirkiness, we can see that he's lost his pride and arrogance. He's now okay with admitting that he can't do something or that he can't understand anything or even that he has no use in certain situations. He's okay with saying he can't fight and with supporting other, and yet it makes him all the stronger for it.

We learn a lot about Wilhelm and find out what I had suspected about Otto's supposed throwaway line about the Master Swordsman being killed by the White Whale, who was actually his wife.

Rem continues to show why she's best girl. Subaru, you don't deserve her. All respect to Emilia, no matter how hard you look, you will never find another girl like Rem in a thousand years and a thousand lifetimes. If you pass over her, you are a fool.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 01:58   Link #63
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I've caugt up with this series now over the past two days. It's pretty crazy. :O It looks like this story won't be resolved in one season though. Is the source material finished at all, the original novel(s) ?
Old 2016-08-08, 03:58   Link #64
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

^
From what I understand, it's ongoing
----------
Finally, things are going his way, so glad thar after all that suffering something goes as planned
Old 2016-08-08, 04:14   Link #65
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
I've caugt up with this series now over the past two days. It's pretty crazy. :O It looks like this story won't be resolved in one season though. Is the source material finished at all, the original novel(s) ?
Yeah it's still ongoing and definitely far from over.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 04:44   Link #66
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Fantastic episode. While Subaru's character turnaround began last episode, it is here that we see the first truly ripened fruits of that. It is tremendously cathartic to finally see Subaru handling himself well and competently after everything he has been through for almost this entire third arc.

I'd say that the old Subaru is back, except what we have here is actually better than that. Subaru has regained his spirit, and his drive and determination. He's also shown genuine cleverness for the first time in ages. But this Subaru does not have the arrogance or cringe-worthy dialogue of the old Subaru. He still has his moments of good humor, and the slightest touch of charisma, but that smarmy behavior of the past is thankfully absent here.

This Subaru is aware of the real positives of what he has to offer, but he's also aware of his own considerable limitations. That enables him to strike good smart agreements with Crush and Anastasia, and to shift events towards a great exciting fight against the White Whale.

So this episode appealed to me a lot as a The Lord of the Rings fan, and as a fan of the fantasy genre in general. The way everything came together here was excellent to watch, and almost perfect in execution. The way everybody is so pumped to take out the White Whale was great to see. The fact that this is all arising out of a show that has substantial darkness in it makes it all the more stirring and rewarding to watch.

And so the setup is complete. The big fight comes next episode! And the beauty of this show is that, for an anime-only viewer, it truly is unpredictable. What I have left to say is perfectly reflected by Irenesharda's post, so I'll simply quote it for truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Gentlemen! (and ladies) He can be taught!

The difference between the Subaru here and the one we saw before is like night and day. While he's still got his quirkiness, we can see that he's lost his pride and arrogance. He's now okay with admitting that he can't do something or that he can't understand anything or even that he has no use in certain situations. He's okay with saying he can't fight and with supporting other, and yet it makes him all the stronger for it.

We learn a lot about Wilhelm and find out what I had suspected about Otto's supposed throwaway line about the Master Swordsman being killed by the White Whale, who was actually his wife.

Rem continues to show why she's best girl. Subaru, you don't deserve her. All respect to Emilia, no matter how hard you look, you will never find another girl like Rem in a thousand years and a thousand lifetimes. If you pass over her, you are a fool.
I completely agree. Rem is best girl.
Old 2016-08-08, 05:43   Link #67
Pen3

Geez can we get some more of Mimi, they couldn't make a character any cuter than that, yet strong and deadly.

I am going to set my alarm for next week and take a long slumber.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 07:08   Link #68
watisit

I'm wondering how Subaru wasn't lying when he said his phone could tell him the time and location of the appearance of the whale.
watisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 07:19   Link #69
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by watisit View Post
I'm wondering how Subaru wasn't lying when he said his phone could tell him the time and location of the appearance of the whale.
Maybe he punched the map coordinates for that big tree into his phone? Or something like that? The big tree may not be the exact location of the whale's appearance, but meh, close enough to count as "honest" for Crusch I guess.

Plus, maybe Crusch's lie-reading ability works like an actual lie detector. If you say something to her, and you sincerely believe it's true, then it won't register as a lie. So it could be that in his own mind, Subaru's statement is "true enough", so it doesn't register to Crusch as a lie.

It's important to note that Crusch herself has to be careful to discern between "sincere opinion" and "definitive fact" (there's a certain subtlety here that came off in Crusch's response to Subaru ranting angrily about the Witch's cult a few episodes back). Just because someone is saying something they believe is true doesn't mean it's necessarily true.
Old 2016-08-08, 07:37   Link #70
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
He only needed the time. The big tree is not that hard to miss.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 07:43   Link #71
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicili View Post
Umm...what's the theory? I don't get it.
It's written in Japanese.
Old 2016-08-08, 08:36   Link #72
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Well... Then you waifu her. Have her all to yourself, with no Subaru. I fail to see the problem.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 08:47   Link #73
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I think Irenesharda and Triple_R already summed up how awesome I found this episode to be, so I'll lazily refrain from repeating those points.

However, I do absolutely love the climax of the episode where the whale finally appeared. First all we heard was Subaru's cheerful alarm tone ringing constantly, which made the situation feel really awkward after a few seconds.For a brief moment there I honestly feared that the whale might not appear at all. Then the screen flickered black while the music got increasingly distorted as the whale's shadow started to fall on the scenery, it quickly changed from awkward to suspenseful. That scene was brilliantly executed.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 08:53   Link #74
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post

However, I do absolutely love the climax of the episode where the whale finally appeared. First all we heard was Subaru's cheerful alarm tone ringing constantly, which made the situation feel really awkward after a few seconds.For a brief moment there I honestly feared that the whale might not appear at all. Then the screen flickered black while the music got increasingly distorted as the whale's shadow started to fall on the scenery, it quickly changed from awkward to suspenseful. That scene was brilliantly executed.
Agreed. For a brief moment there I thought "Oh no... maybe the whale is scared away from large armies, and won't show up, and everybody (except Crusch?) will think that Subaru was tricking them the entire time, and he's in for even more massive embarrassment/suffering. "

It was a big relief when the whale showed up, because I don't think I could have taken another scene of Subaru getting hated on by a big crowd of people. Especially when this is one time where he really truly does deserve better than that, at least.
Old 2016-08-08, 09:20   Link #75
Kakurin
大佐

The negotiation part was a bit rushed, came off a bit cheap with everything just coming together in the room, but I guess they had to rush some parts after spending an entire episode on that fantastic #18. The part with the Hakugei showing up was executed very well though. Likewise glad that it did show up.

Rem-rin again with a terrific showing this episode. She's great.
Old 2016-08-08, 09:32   Link #76
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
but I guess they had to rush some parts after spending an entire episode on that fantastic #18.
Yeah I didn't think I'd be so enticed by an episode that consisted almost entirely of two people talking to each other. But the dialog was just really good and emotional. The best part has got to be the realization of how much Rem has thought about her life with Subaru. Usually I don't even like romance, but it was well done here.
Old 2016-08-08, 09:42   Link #77
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm just surprised his phone even has power still. He's been in this world for what? A few weeks now?
Old 2016-08-08, 09:43   Link #78
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It's a clamphone. they last forever
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 09:45   Link #79
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I'm just surprised his phone even has power still. He's been in this world for what? A few weeks now?
Not sure if you remember the pre-smartphone era of cellphones, but those flip-phones (especially the garake- phones Subaru has) can last months if turned off most of the time.
Old 2016-08-08, 10:21   Link #80
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Oh, my old phone only lasted about a week of being turned on all the time.