AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

Old 2015-07-04, 05:27   Link #61
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Episode 1:
Wow, Itami-san saving lives and killing medieval soldiers will sure grant him medals... at the cost of missing out the doujinshi event!
Itami's otakuness is important to the coming events in this story -- he's not a jut-jawed hero with signature moves or a brooding loner with a past, he's a salary thief who, as he admits in the first episode, only "works" in the JSDF to pay for his otaku lifestyle. Missing the big doujinshi event was a real pisser and he may miss the winter Comiket too now that he's on active duty in the Special Area.

On the other hand, there may be catgirls...
Old 2015-07-04, 06:25   Link #62
com_gwp

Echoing the sentiment of the manga/novel readers here; it's fairly decent adaptation with solid pacing, but the sanitisation of the show as well as the removal of most of the gore and violence takes away some of the levity of the invasion.

It's a little weird that they do this to a story that would frequently delve into grimy business, and in most respects can be conceded that bit of edge in the tone. Of course, it's only the first episode, and the boundaries of this clean tone might be pushed later on, but I'm not holding out on hope.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 06:40   Link #63
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Echoing the sentiment of the manga/novel readers here; it's fairly decent adaptation with solid pacing, but the sanitisation of the show as well as the removal of most of the gore and violence takes away some of the levity of the invasion.

It's a little weird that they do this to a story that would frequently delve into grimy business...
There's a lot of humour as well as action in this story, the gore as illustrated in the manga is somewhat incidental to the plot (I don't know how the novels/LNs dealt with this). The first episode is setting up the basic situation (Gate, invasion, response) and the characters (Itami as an otaku with hidden depths etc.) but they've toned down the gore, probably to widen the target market. If you want gore there's lots of blood-drenched anime (Higurashi, Tokyo Ghoul, Corpse Party etc.) out there but it usually doesn't have as much humour as this series contains.

Saying that we've still to see what they do with Rory.
Old 2015-07-04, 06:54   Link #64
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
There's a lot of humour as well as action in this story, the gore as illustrated in the manga is somewhat incidental to the plot (I don't know how the novels/LNs dealt with this). The first episode is setting up the basic situation (Gate, invasion, response) and the characters (Itami as an otaku with hidden depths etc.) but they've toned down the gore, probably to widen the target market. If you want gore there's lots of blood-drenched anime (Higurashi, Tokyo Ghoul, Corpse Party etc.) out there but it usually doesn't have as much humour as this series contains.

Saying that we've still to see what they do with Rory.
Of course I understand it's a marketing issue, but it's disingenuous to suggest that gory/pulp action and humor are mutually exclusive or inversely related, if we go by the examples you listed.

And in a story that delves into some really extreme topics, I don't think it's that far out of place to wonder why they went with a relatively clean tone in the anime.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 07:15   Link #65
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Itami's otakuness is important to the coming events in this story -- he's not a jut-jawed hero with signature moves or a brooding loner with a past, he's a salary thief who, as he admits in the first episode, only "works" in the JSDF to pay for his otaku lifestyle. Missing the big doujinshi event was a real pisser and he may miss the winter Comiket too now that he's on active duty in the Special Area.

On the other hand, there may be catgirls...
As someone who has read the manga I can voucher for that. However Itami's Otakuism isn't the problem, the issue is that the anime overplays that aspect to fairly obnoxious levels. The manga in comparison was much better at balancing that side of him. My main fear at this point is anime may crazy with it again and end up causing a disconnect between seriousness of the story and Itami's character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post

It's a little weird that they do this to a story that would frequently delve into grimy business, and in most respects can be conceded that bit of edge in the tone. Of course, it's only the first episode, and the boundaries of this clean tone might be pushed later on, but I'm not holding out on hope.
Yeah, I'm not expecting the censorship to get much better because it usually never does. We may see the occasional corpse or destroyed town here and there, but otherwise don't too surprised to see a repeat of the first episode. While it doesn't bother me much I can understand why it would some.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 07:54   Link #66
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well that was an enjoyable first episode.
I wonder since this adaption is much lighter and softer, will the anime leave out the messy jingoism and politics.
I don't mind if the anime leaves out the gore if it means they won't show the disturbing parts.
But one thing i do have to complain is the anime kept reminding everyone Itami is an Otaku.
Ok, we get it. You don't have repeat it. Just remember he's a soldier, not a fool.
Old 2015-07-04, 08:26   Link #67
TheRealWinston

Watched the first episode. The gore and brutality was a little bit "censored" but it is that kind of censor, where I can live with. I only wonder how the anime will approach the rapescenes...
But it was still great...
TheRealWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 08:37   Link #68
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

There are rape scenes? lol
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 08:44   Link #69
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I was surprised Itami () was given commendation for heroic acts. I mean sure he saved a few people, but the prologue wasn't that convincing. I mean he probably deserves a medal, but not to be made into a public hero, considering he was just one out of many who fended off the attackers.
One thing is he really deserve medal, other is Heroes are goods for lifting public moral. And with JSDF going behind the gate having Itami the Hero going is good move propaganda-wise
Old 2015-07-04, 08:55   Link #70
James Rye

The amount of "I am a Otaku. I only do this for my hobby." is too damn high! Well, they drove the point home that Itami is an Otaku, a badass chest-stabbing Otaku. An enjoyable start although I missed the gore a bit there in the invasion but it is understandable they cut those and other bloody parts to make this target a wider audience to promote the novel and manga and other merchandise.
Old 2015-07-04, 09:10   Link #71
ookamigirl

Close to Outbreak Company.
There are differences, of course.
The MC is employed, fantasy world came to them..
He's actually pretty brave too!
So far, not bad at all.
Have to see more before final decision.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 09:19   Link #72
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post
Close to Outbreak Company.
There are differences, of course.
The MC is employed, fantasy world came to them..
He's actually pretty brave too!
So far, not bad at all.
Have to see more before final decision.
The only real similarities between the two is the involvement of the JSDF in a fantasy world and having an otaku lead. However, Gate focuses more on military action and politics rather than trying to spread otakudom into the other world.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 09:20   Link #73
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
An enjoyable start although I missed the gore a bit there in the invasion but it is understandable they cut those and other bloody parts to make this target a wider audience to promote the novel and manga and other merchandise.
In today's time when Game of Thrones is the most watched show out there, I just don't buy the argument that cutting down on sex and violence is effectively expanding your target audience. You can't sell anime to soccer moms either.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 09:25   Link #74
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
In today's time when Game of Thrones is the most watched show out there, I just don't buy the argument that cutting down on sex and violence is effectively expanding your target audience. You can't sell anime to soccer moms either.
There is a difference between Japanese anime and US live action serials though. Anime with blood, gore and ultraviolence combined tend to be the exception rather than the rule

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 09:26   Link #75
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I kinda wish they played a little less on the lead's otakuness but more on the collected man he can be when a crisis arise. His best part was when he tried to assess the situation and be cool-headed about it. Perhaps in episode 2.

Funny how I am following two shows with Suwabe as the lead.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 09:41   Link #76
Funkatron
Highly irregular

I guess I'm glad I never read the novels/manga because I loved this first episode and didn't have a problem with the lack of gore. I thought they illustrated the violence pretty well without going into the ultradeath zone. I'm actually glad it doesn't get too gory. Different strokes, I guess.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 09:48   Link #77
Top Sergeant

Yeah, ramming a dagger into the body of a man your holding in a clinch and getting his arterial blood splattered on your face is gorey and edgy enough.
Old 2015-07-04, 09:50   Link #78
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Episode 1:

Meanwhile, I was wondering if this anime adaptation will generate controversies since the author is a right-wing activist?
I suspect the anime might have to tone down some the right wing propaganda. I believe the manga had to as well.

Quote:
Hmmm... mentioning Game of Thrones in a Gate thread, that reminds me of a certain Wild Mass Guess on TV Tropes:

Quote:
Under the Iron Throne there is a portal.
The portal leads into our modern universe, and whoever wins the game of thrones with enough power to ensure that they will never be displaced, will discover our world.
....And immediately be crushed under our tank treads so 21st century Earth can take their vast untapped oil and mineral reserves... I mean liberate the oppressed people of Westeros.

Last edited by SPARTAN 119; 2015-07-04 at 10:17.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 09:53   Link #79
Go0gleplex
The Old Guy

Well...I consider that a good first episode, minus the stupid orc or whatever that did the whole ball attack thing. Decent script, VA's so far, art, and didn't get bogged down in details but still had enough to give a good idea of what was happening.

Leave the politics at the door please and just enjoy the show.

"No society can thrive when it puts more money, effort, and emotion into its vices rather than its virtues."

Harem of choice? Uzume, Rory Mercury, Raphtalia, and Yasaka.
Go0gleplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 09:55   Link #80
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
There is a difference between Japanese anime and US live action serials though. Anime with blood, gore and ultraviolence combined tend to be the exception rather than the rule
Well I myself prefer toning down violence and gore over having three quarter of screen blackened by censorship circles...

Tags
military science fiction, seinen