2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-10-12, 01:08   Link #61
suiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, yeah, I agree.

My post above is just to inform the newcomers and remind everyone else that slapstick humor (to a certain degree) have been a part of Tomino's series. Knowing that, I hope no-one will be ignorant enough to think or say things like "This silly slapstick jokes have no place in Gundam franchise" .
X also have shares of slapstick humor and it's one of my favorite series.
suiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 04:53   Link #62
ReddyRedWolf

Ok correct me if I'm wrong about the political setting. The Capital Guard or the country that controls them has a monopoly on energy and space travel. The reason for the monopoly is to prevent the same shit that kept happening in UC era killing billions.

Ameria wants to break the energy monopoly with solar energy. Capturing the space elevators is essential also in being their base of operations venturing into space for their army.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 05:16   Link #63
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Ok correct me if I'm wrong about the political setting. The Capital Guard or the country that controls them has a monopoly on energy and space travel. The reason for the monopoly is to prevent the same shit that kept happening in UC era killing billions.

Ameria wants to break the energy monopoly with solar energy. Capturing the space elevators is essential also in being their base of operations venturing into space for their army.
Yeah, I think that's pretty much it (until we get further information & revelation). And it looks like the pirate is kinda-sorta on the Amerian side. Not really sure.
Old 2014-10-12, 05:38   Link #64
suiken

I'm thinking that the pirates are similar to the Crossbone Vanguards.
suiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 06:17   Link #65
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:

I think a lot of confusion would be gone had Sunrise actually translated their glossary page (http://g-reco.net/glossary.html) on the official site.

But you are mostly right. Based on what's on the glossary page though, here's a little more detail:
  • The sole remaining space elevator on Earth (the Capital Tower), was built back in the UC era and restored for use in RC. This remaining elevator is located in modern day Brazil (they call South America "Elride" or something), and in the middle of what they call Capital Territory.
  • All energy in RC is supplied using photon batteries, which can only be made in outer space via the use of solar panels. The Capital Tower is the sole means by which these batteries can be transported.
  • People in the Capital Territory worship a religion they call "SU-Cord", where the Capital Tower is seen as a divine being that delivers the space photon batteries to them. So it sounds like this whole monopolizing energy thing is actually a religious belief based on threats of repeating the dark ages, but sounds more self-serving than anything else.
  • Capital Tower is protected by a team called Capital Guard (which is separate from the Capital Army), and they are also responsible for inspection and maintenance of the tower.
  • As far as Ameria goes, we already know its president's son is Klim Nick. But we also know that the commander of the Ameria army is named Gushion Surugan (same last name as Aida). So there's more than an obvious connection between the space pirates and America.
  • Ameria is said to be hostile to the Capital Territory, while a third country, Gondwan, which is located east of Ameria (Europe?) is in alliance with the Capital Territory. IIRC, from a Tomino interview, due to the majority of the planet being inhabitable still, these are the only three countries left on Earth.

Last edited by brightman; 2014-10-12 at 06:31.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 06:35   Link #66
wm4

But since the Ameria is developing, ie will have, a space fleet (and the space pirate
ship was a prototype), it will affect CT in terms of religion and politics, since CT
is still assumed as the world leader. CT will definitely start a war with Ameria no
matter what.
wm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 06:45   Link #67
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm4 View Post
But since the Ameria is developing, ie will have, a space fleet (and the space pirate
ship was a prototype), it will affect CT in terms of religion and politics, since CT
is still assumed as the world leader. CT will definitely start a war with Ameria no
matter what.
Think they feel threatened by Ameria hence their creation of the Capital Army, since the Capital Guard had been a self-defense force. Its probably veiled commentary by Tomino in regards to the Japanese SDF and the calls for a standing army in parts of the Japanese government as a response to threats from NK and China.
Old 2014-10-12, 07:00   Link #68
wm4

That means Japan government wants to invade and destroy NK and China,
but I won't be surprised.
It's quite clear that CT wanted to kill off Ameria because the latter doesn't want to
be a good puppet dog, and confirm the stance of the SU-Cord as the absolute
authority.
Old 2014-10-12, 08:10   Link #69
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
I think a lot of confusion would be gone had Sunrise actually translated their glossary page (http://g-reco.net/glossary.html) on the official site.
Aside from that, I think it's pretty important that the series itself that explain its setting and other stuffs (either all-at-once or gradually) rather than asking the audience to get the info via other media. And I'm gonna be honest, when I'm watching a series that's still airing, I try my best not to pay attention to the sites or other sources that give explanation (abut the setting and various other things) because I wanna know and experience it myself how good the narrative in the series really is. Going to those sites for additional info and trivia is cool and all, but it's wrong if the audience need to go there to fully comprehend the series. And I don't like blaming people who only watch this series and still confused for not reading the background info on official sites and whatnot because, again, a good series should be able to stand on its own without asking the audience to look somewhere else just to understand what the hell is going on in the series' world. Granted, G-Reco is a continuation from past UC series, so if some audience don't want to watch more than 200 episodes of UC materials to get the references, they can just read it from other sources. But when it comes to this new era (Reguild Century), this series should be able to explain its new setting by itself without "outside help".

That said, since I'm also a Gunpla fan, I do look into Gunpla sites which (as you can expect) spoil some things, like for example, the names and appearance of MSs that will show up in future episode, some pilot characters' names, etc. But when it comes to story or political setting, I try my best not to read outside sources until the series is over just to put myself in the shoes of anime-only watchers, not devoted fans that follow mostly anything Gundam in various media.
Old 2014-10-12, 08:34   Link #70
wm4

Quote:
Aside from that, I think it's pretty important that the series itself
that explain its setting and other stuffs (either all-at-once or gradually) rather than asking the audience to get
the info via other media.
Tomino is weak at that, sometimes he just forgets it, sometimes he just
leaves plot holes and explain them elsewhere.

He did spoiled some important settings in the show to avoid blacklashes,
eg when a doujin artist makes a comic with ero contents, Tomino may
want to avoid the trap that the artist will get flamed by crossing the
line he doesn't expect....
Old 2014-10-12, 08:57   Link #71
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm4 View Post
That means Japan government wants to invade and destroy NK and China,
Off topic and stupid idea.

The formation of the Capital Army is sort of like what the Federation did when Zeon started militarizing, create the Federation Army.

Another parallel is that the Fedration embargo of fuel from Jupiter to Zeon.

Resources is just an excuse, the real reason is world domination. Klim already gave away Ameria's true intention with taking the elevator.
Old 2014-10-12, 10:29   Link #72
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Aside from that, I think it's pretty important that the series itself that explain its setting and other stuffs (either all-at-once or gradually) rather than asking the audience to get the info via other media. And I'm gonna be honest, when I'm watching a series that's still airing, I try my best not to pay attention to the sites or other sources that give explanation (abut the setting and various other things) because I wanna know and experience it myself how good the narrative in the series really is. Going to those sites for additional info and trivia is cool and all, but it's wrong if the audience need to go there to fully comprehend the series. And I don't like blaming people who only watch this series and still confused for not reading the background info on official sites and whatnot because, again, a good series should be able to stand on its own without asking the audience to look somewhere else just to understand what the hell is going on in the series' world. Granted, G-Reco is a continuation from past UC series, so if some audience don't want to watch more than 200 episodes of UC materials to get the references, they can just read it from other sources. But when it comes to this new era (Reguild Century), this series should be able to explain its new setting by itself without "outside help".
Background info is released for fans of works who really want to get into the setting. Yes, a series should give a decent amount of info so that any viewer can follow, but it's not like background information is meant to be spoilers. I think in this case the background info helps a lot because it complements the show and makes it much easier to understand. Otherwise it's simply too easy to miss information in the show itself, which is leading to the confusion.

As for your reasons for not looking at this stuff... Let's just say I watch a show to be entertained, not so I can "experience how good the narrative is". I am not a professional critic so that's a pointless thing for me.

Quote:
The formation of the Capital Army is sort of like what the Federation did when Zeon started militarizing, create the Federation Army.

Another parallel is that the Fedration embargo of fuel from Jupiter to Zeon.

Resources is just an excuse, the real reason is world domination. Klim already gave away Ameria's true intention with taking the elevator.
Actually the establishment of the Earth Federation Forces happened in UC 0020 or so... Nothing to do with the founding of Zeon.

But yes, this is simple politics. Ameria doesn't like CT's monopoly because they have zero political leverage due to being completely dependent on them for energy. Whoever who controls the Capital Tower basically rules the world because they can cripple everyone else if they so choose to. Not sure if Ameria wants to rule the world though, they just want to get out of this type of dependency relationship.
Old 2014-10-12, 11:14   Link #73
wm4

Quote:
Background info is released for fans of works who really want to get into the setting.
Yes, a series should give a decent amount of info so that any viewer can follow, ....
Whether the show should be self-explained are more or less depending on
what the business wants to do. A recent example is the Chaika anime,
it never gives out enough information and was served as advertisements
for the original novel only. The ironic part is that Chaika was originally
written for an anime adoption....
Old 2014-10-12, 15:33   Link #74
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:

Actually the establishment of the Earth Federation Forces happened in UC 0020 or so... Nothing to do with the founding of Zeon.
I never said founding I said militarizing. When one side upsets status quo by building an army the other side builds its own to protect itself and maintain status quo. Zeon created its army Feds created an army in response.

Capital Territory created Capital Army to counteract Ameria pirates. Thing is the SDF rolled Capital Guard are still more competent than they are.
Old 2014-10-12, 15:55   Link #75
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Background info is released for fans of works who really want to get into the setting. Yes, a series should give a decent amount of info so that any viewer can follow, but it's not like background information is meant to be spoilers. I think in this case the background info helps a lot because it complements the show and makes it much easier to understand. Otherwise it's simply too easy to miss information in the show itself, which is leading to the confusion.

As for your reasons for not looking at this stuff... Let's just say I watch a show to be entertained, not so I can "experience how good the narrative is". I am not a professional critic so that's a pointless thing for me.
Oh, so watching only the anime (for now) means I'm not entertained & enjoying it? lol I don't think so. I enjoy it a lot right now. And what I'm doing at least allows me to understand the criticism thrown by newcomers and anime-only watchers instead of blaming them saying "It's your fault for not reading the backgound info on the official site etc etc". For example, Gundam Wing, SEED, 00, etc don't require the audience to do that to understand the setting and background info since they properly tell us in the prologue, flashback, recap, or gradually during the show's run. Even Tomino's own trilogy of MSG-Zeta-ZZ don't need the help of outside sources to be fully understood as long as you pay attention to the show.
Old 2014-10-12, 16:07   Link #76
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:

That said, since I'm also a Gunpla fan, I do look into Gunpla sites which (as you can expect) spoil some things, like for example, the names and appearance of MSs that will show up in future episode, some pilot characters' names, etc. But when it comes to story or political setting, I try my best not to read outside sources until the series is over just to put myself in the shoes of anime-only watchers, not devoted fans that follow mostly anything Gundam in various media.
As long as the background info is easily accessible then I don't really mind so much. The problem for me is that the narrative is so bad, I still don't know what the hell is going on in this show even with that background information (at least assuming what brightman gave was the whole lot).

And although I don't have an issue with background information, background information that is important to understanding not just the plot but character's motivations, should really be in the show itself. Otherwise everything just feels informed and you're limiting the extent a person can enjoy this series, even if they do pay attention to all the background info.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 16:39   Link #77
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Oh, so watching only the anime (for now) means I'm not entertained & enjoying it? lol I don't think so. I enjoy it a lot right now. And what I'm doing at least allows me to understand the criticism thrown by newcomers and anime-only watchers instead of blaming them saying "It's your fault for not reading the backgound info on the official site etc etc". For example, Gundam Wing, SEED, 00, etc don't require the audience to do that to understand the setting and background info since they properly tell us in the prologue, flashback, recap, or gradually during the show's run. Even Tomino's own trilogy of MSG-Zeta-ZZ don't need the help of outside sources to be fully understood as long as you pay attention to the show.
Hey don't get me wrong. I fully understand the criticism the show has. This reminds me of other shows that Tomino personally scripted, such as Gundam F91 and Garzey's Wing/Wing of Rean (previous Gundam TV shows were not scripted by him) in that things simply aren't explained well. Chalk it up to his competencies as a screenplay writer. What I'm trying to do is give info to people so that they can improve upon their enjoyment of the series. Everyone is different so if you want to watch a series for the purpose of critiquing it that's well within your rights.
Old 2014-10-12, 16:47   Link #78
Jarly

Quote:
  • People in the Capital Territory worship a religion they call "SU-Cord", where the Capital Tower is seen as a divine being that delivers the space photon batteries to them. So it sounds like this whole monopolizing energy thing is actually a religious belief based on threats of repeating the dark ages, but sounds more self-serving than anything else.
Hmm, any ideas what is the meaning of that "SU" abbreviation?
And what about that "Cord"? I don't get it.
Jarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 17:00   Link #79
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Space umbilical cord, perhaps?
Old 2014-10-12, 17:08   Link #80
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarly View Post
Hmm, any ideas what is the meaning of that "SU" abbreviation?
And what about that "Cord"? I don't get it.
Yeah, I think it's also the term for that cable that guides the "Crowns" (the elevator cars), judging from Ep 1. Rising Dragon might have something there.

EDIT - never mind - Bellri just seems to be yelling it out for no reason. Interestingly, it's pronounced "Scord".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
As long as the background info is easily accessible then I don't really mind so much. The problem for me is that the narrative is so bad, I still don't know what the hell is going on in this show even with that background information (at least assuming what brightman gave was the whole lot).
I didn't. There's still much more info out there, including the explanation for Kuntalas and some other stuff, and more info from a bunch of Tomino interviews. I just translated the stuff related to what ReddyRedWolf mentioned.

Last edited by brightman; 2014-10-12 at 17:23.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote