5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 6.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 3.90%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.30%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-10-03, 13:59   Link #61
RoboMambo

It has the expectabe breakneck pace (still slower than King Gainer) and nonsensical Tomino dialogue. Zero exposition, which I like.

I like how it looks. Nice character and mecha designs. Like the chracters so far, too.

Not much more to say yet, but still excited.
RoboMambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 14:19   Link #62
Galaxian

In all honesty, I did not like the first episode. Had not a Gundam series I would have dropped immediately.

The second episode was a bit better though...
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 14:31   Link #63
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Heh, I enjoy her character so far. I kinda understand her personality partly because she got the racist treatment from many people that we’ve shown here for god knows how long, and it seems Bellri is one of few people who’s actually nice to her. I think the early racist Fllay is much worse and piss me off a lot more. Also, I think she shot Aida’s booty to save her from falling, but Aida was offended (who won’t? ) and literally and recklessly jumped on her. Just saying.
Well, as I said, somebody has to like her. And from what I've read so far, some like her, some don't, so far. She's not as bad as Flay, but she hasn't won any points from me yet.

When you mentioned that you had gotten used to Tomino's dialogue from repeated watching, I suddenly realized why I've been having such trouble, and that my eyes were literally beginning to hurt from the strain of reading subs while trying to watch all the very busy scenes, even though I've been reading subtitles for many years.
The thing is, I've actually seen 90% of all the Gundam series I watch--in dubbed format. That's why I'm a never noticed a problem before was because it's much easier to keep up with the racing Tomino-esque dialogue when it's already in English, so I only have to really just keep up with the scenes. It's going to take some getting used to with this and have to read the subtitle while watching all the chaos on screen. However, I don't think it will be a problem after a few episodes and I can get used to it. I know I'll probably enjoy it more in dubbed format since that's just the way I've been watching Gundam since my start as a Gundam fan. However, I'm fine for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethemaster View Post
Episode 2 was better than episode 1 by far, but i really don't who this guy is, chill who is he? does Bell know him?
Um, which guy are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I came in expecting this to be a bit childish, just from the appearance, but I got over that fast. I'm not actually much of a Gundam fan (except Turn A and UC), but I found ep1 pretty enjoyable. The story starts from here.

I thought the way the girl was so afraid was well done (seiyuu Fukui Yukari), and the hardness of the captured pilot was also well done (seiyuu Shimamura Yuu). The harsh way the guys treated their captive was unpleasant but dramatically effective. And Mark Ishii in his debut role as Bellri worked for me, skating a line between indifferent and sympathetic.
I actually expected it to be more aimed at kids too, like AGE was. However, after seeing these first few episodes, I have to say, that I think this is actually more aimed at those who are fans of Tomino's style and of old-school Gundam. I've seen many who aren't used to the style, or who are put off to the retro animation and action, that it turned them off. Many of today's kids are probably used to the newer style of Gundam and might not be able to get on board with this.

And I will be the first to admit that it is a little chaotic and that you have to break it down and get used to it. I, myself like both styles of the modern and old. I like the twists and turns and shock value of something like Geass, Valvrave or Aldnoah, but I also like the slower, more character driven, fast dialogue of the older Gundam shows as well. The original Gundam series is still my favorite of the franchise and there's good reason for that. It just takes a little of a shift to get back to that type of series again.

The characters you're talking about are also my favorites so far. Bellri's not likely to take the crown away from my favorite Gundam MC (Amuro), nor will he probably be my most hated Gundam MC either (a rank still occupied by one Kamille Bidan), but I think he'll be functional. I can see him growing more. I really like Luin, Aida and Raraiya too. Everyone else I could take it or leave it, but as far as the series, I like what I see so far.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 14:47   Link #64
Mikethemaster

Location: Celebrating that Naruhina is cannon! :D Oh were I live Evansville Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Well, as I said, somebody has to like her. And from what I've read so far, some like her, some don't, so far. She's not as bad as Flay, but she hasn't won any points from me yet.

When you mentioned that you had gotten used to Tomino's dialogue from repeated watching, I suddenly realized why I've been having such trouble, and that my eyes were literally beginning to hurt from the strain of reading subs while trying to watch all the very busy scenes, even though I've been reading subtitles for many years.
The thing is, I've actually seen 90% of all the Gundam series I watch--in dubbed format. That's why I'm a never noticed a problem before was because it's much easier to keep up with the racing Tomino-esque dialogue when it's already in English, so I only have to really just keep up with the scenes. It's going to take some getting used to with this and have to read the subtitle while watching all the chaos on screen. However, I don't think it will be a problem after a few episodes and I can get used to it. I know I'll probably enjoy it more in dubbed format since that's just the way I've been watching Gundam since my start as a Gundam fan. However, I'm fine for now.

Um, which guy are you talking about?

I actually expected it to be more aimed at kids too, like AGE was. However, after seeing these first few episodes, I have to say, that I think this is actually more aimed at those who are fans of Tomino's style and of old-school Gundam. I've seen many who aren't used to the style, or who are put off to the retro animation and action, that it turned them off. Many of today's kids are probably used to the newer style of Gundam and might not be able to get on board with this.

And I will be the first to admit that it is a little chaotic and that you have to break it down and get used to it. I, myself like both styles of the modern and old. I like the twists and turns and shock value of something like Geass, Valvrave or Aldnoah, but I also like the slower, more character driven, fast dialogue of the older Gundam shows as well. The original Gundam series is still my favorite of the franchise and there's good reason for that. It just takes a little of a shift to get back to that type of series again.

The characters you're talking about are also my favorites so far. Bellri's not likely to take the crown away from my favorite Gundam MC (Amuro), nor will he probably be my most hated Gundam MC either (a rank still occupied by one Kamille Bidan), but I think he'll be functional. I can see him growing more. I really like Luin, Aida and Raraiya too. Everyone else I could take it or leave it, but as far as the series, I like what I see so far.
I was just saying the 2nd episode was better than the 1 episode and the random dude named chill in episode 2 he got offed and we didn't know anything about him at all. The one Aida was crying over at the end of episode 2.
Old 2014-10-03, 15:16   Link #65
Irenesharda

Quote:
I was just saying the 2nd episode was better than the 1 episode and the random dude named chill in episode 2 he got offed and we didn't know anything about him at all. The one Aida was crying over at the end of episode 2.
Oh, Capt. Cahill. Well, It's actually interesting that we do see him in the ED where it's him and Bellri and the other lavender-haired instructor. While the ED is mostly fun and games with the whole hilarious can-can lines. I think that it might show some things about the series too. Watching the first episode again, I noticed that Cahill was the one that caught Raraiya's mech when she tumbled out of the cockpit. I'm not sure of everything that was going on yet, but I have no doubt that Cahill was probably an important figure. Maybe we'll get to know more about him post-mortum?

Now, I've never seen any spoilers for this series, haven't looked at the website, nothing, and I kinda what to keep it that way. However, for speculation's sake, I noticed that neither Luin, nor the girl with the long black hair that seems to be the leader of the cheerleaders shows up anywhere in OP or ED, not even in the said, can-can lines.

So, I'm speculating that either one or both of them get killed off pretty early on. Especially considering how it seem that both are pretty close to the MC and that the black-haired girl seems to be Luin's girlfriend. Also. Luin is Bellri's best friend isn't he?

However, looking at the ED more, is Luin going to become our newest Char clone? He's the only character I've seen so far with silver hair and him being Bellri's friend would fit. Also, Bellri's future pilot uniforms have the same symbol on it that Capt. Cahill and Aida had on theirs, which is different from the symbol of the Capital. Will there be some allegiance swapping here? It will be interesting to find out in coming weeks...

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2014-10-03 at 16:26.
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 15:50   Link #66
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
However, for speculation's sake, I noticed that neither Luin, nor the girl with the long black hair that seems to be the leader of the cheerleaders shows up anywhere in OP or ED, not even in the said, can-can lines.
Was about to say that I'm quite sure Luin is the masked guy in the ending, although he indeed does not show up in the opening. Black haired girl is in the opening, briefly, though tiny. That probably doesn't count. But I had assumed she was the one wearing yellow in the ending and that she is just going to get a haircut?

Though I also kind of thought that she might be one of the first to go. That would be kind of sad, I like her...
Old 2014-10-03, 17:03   Link #67
Galaxian

The opening is mostly footage from this first two episode, it's going to change... But I hate when anime do that...
Old 2014-10-03, 17:06   Link #68
Mikethemaster

Location: Celebrating that Naruhina is cannon! :D Oh were I live Evansville Indiana
Quote:
Oh, Capt. Cahill. Well, It's actually interesting that we do see him in the ED where it's him and Bellri and the other lavender-haired instructor. While the ED is mostly fun and games with the whole hilarious can-can lines. I think that it might show some things about the series too. Watching the first episode again, I noticed that Cahill was the one that caught Raraiya's mech when she tumbled out of the cockpit. I'm not sure of everything that was going on yet, but I have no doubt that Cahill was probably an important figure. Maybe we'll get to know more about him post-mortum?

Now, I've never seen any spoilers for this series, haven't looked at the website, nothing, and I kinda what to keep it that way. However, for speculation's sake, I noticed that neither Luin, nor the girl with the long black hair that seems to be the leader of the cheerleaders shows up anywhere in OP or ED, not even in the said, can-can lines.

So, I'm speculating that either one or both of them get killed off pretty early on. Especially considering how it seem that both are pretty close to the MC and that the black-haired girl seems to be Luin's girlfriend. Also. Luin is Bellri's best friend isn't he?

However, looking at the ED more, is Luin going to become our newest Char clone? He's the only character I've seen so far with silver hair and him being Bellri's friend would fit. Also, Bellri's future pilot uniforms have the same symbol on it that Capt. Cahill and Aida had on theirs, which is different from the symbol of the Capital. Will there be some allegiance swapping here? It will be interesting to find out in coming weeks...
Yeah i think the girlfriend will be killed off and luin might "die" too but come back as hard core gundam fans call the char clones. I don't mean to sound mean but Monday need to stop sounding like a mental person all her character is is her just saying g! Maybe were she from it consider a god or something. The grilfriend or secound love intreast for Bellri she needs to shut up she really annoying to me for some reason. I think the ending just fun really but it could be more.
Old 2014-10-03, 18:02   Link #69
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
The opening is mostly footage from this first two episode, it's going to change... But I hate when anime do that...
It might change but I wonder how much. Tomino isn't known for spending money on his OPs and EDs.
Old 2014-10-03, 18:09   Link #70
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
...but Monday need to stop sounding like a mental person all her character is is her just saying g!...
To be fair after bailing out with no oxygen mask at high altitude I'd be surprised if there's no brain damage there.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 18:25   Link #71
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Watched the first episode and really... what the hell did I watch?

Honestly, it was a horrible pilot episode, hands down.
Cinematography wise, a lot of scenes are awkwardly connected together. Sure, they want to give that retro feeling to that series, but why not doing something like Unicorn? Really the very first scene is enough to give you an idea how bizarre the presentation was: stoic camera plan, brutal camera transitions etc... even silly DRAMATIC camera shaking at times.

Whereas Gundam franchise is known for being quite HAMy at times, this one takes the cakes during the fights (I can't be the only one facepalming at that "I'M USING MY BEAM SABER" scene, right?), and fights are scrambled into a mixture of cut-in dialogues and awkward transitions altogether. And this is quite stupid because with all the awkward flow, the sense of "urgency" and "intensity" of the battles went down to the drain. Hard.

But the biggest issue the first episode had was the completely asinine and bland background exposition: the storyboard had absolute ZERO consistency in term of story exposure, you barely have the time to learn characters name and that there are space pirates... alright, and?
There is little to nothing to care about, and characters are so washed out I can't even be amused by the gimmick stuff around (cheerleaders JK in space... really Tomino?).
Hell, dialogues are completely nonsensical most of the times, and it almost sounds like Seiyuu have no idea what they are talking about either (I swear Bellri sounds like a psycho, and it is worse with his teehee prpr faces).

Production wise, I'm arguably not impressed at all. Suffice to say, the retro feeling was done right... maybe too perfectly because the animators indulged themselves a lot of times with inbetween being almost inexistent and other blatant cutting corners stuff.
Mixing that with CG doesn't help much, resulting into a very weird visual presentation.
The only thing I believe was noteworthy was the sceneries...

Truly an anachronic series. We are in 2014, not in 80-90'.
THIS.

I don't have the faintest idea about what the hell was happening, there was also some real jarring animation at points that I found quite distracting.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 18:37   Link #72
kuroihikari2

I found nothing hammy during the fight scenes, at least not that far away from modern Gundam standards. Most of the mentions of the beam saber were Bellri or someone else explaining what they were doing. Bellri's were particularly long because he was rationalizing the fighting methods he was using and his improvisation during the battle. Without his babbling I wouldn't have an idea that he defeated the G-Self using a maintenance suit and it wasn't a fluke.

He actually mentioned everything he was going to do EXCEPT shooting down Cahill. He himself was surprised when he did that.

The 80s feel certainly surprised me... I definitely felt that I was watching something like the Dog of Flanders (style-wise) at times.

So, let me get this clear, Cahill was an Amerian officer who became a space pirate? Aida clearly admired the guy a lot, but she's not Amerian herself.
kuroihikari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 18:49   Link #73
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Haha, you’re lucky that those Tomino series are available in your language. My first watching of Tomino series (and movies) are from actual DVDs and fansubs that ripped the DVDs (all of them in Japanese with ENG sub). Then when many of those series got remastered in Hi-def Blu-ray (MSG, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, F91, etc), it gave me a good reason to re-watch them while enjoying the glorious hi-def image that made those series look brighter, sharper & cleaner more than ever. All in all, it was a really good re-watch and made me understand and comprehend his story and style more .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
To be fair after bailing out with no oxygen mask at high altitude I'd be surprised if there's no brain damage there.
Isn't that partly the reason why she became like she is now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroihikari2 View Post
So, let me get this clear, Cahill was an Amerian officer who became a space pirate? Aida clearly admired the guy a lot, but she's not Amerian herself.
I think so too. But we can be wrong before we get more detailed info on them.
Old 2014-10-03, 18:59   Link #74
brightman
Ancient Member

BTW just an FYI - both Episodes 1 & 2 have been completely directed, written, and storyboarded by Tomino himself. No one else (probably doesn't happen in anime these days)

For a 70+ year old guy the man is a workhorse.

Of course, that also explains the weird Tomino-ness in the script and storyboarding too... I think when others are involved in the scripting and storyboard those get toned down a bit.
Old 2014-10-03, 19:09   Link #75
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I find myself attracted to the sheer silliness of the show. It's like a action/comedy movie.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 19:17   Link #76
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I find myself attracted to the sheer silliness of the show. It's like a action/comedy movie.
WTF is this SH!T?

That pink-haired girl pilot, doe........and the good guys are Gundam-jacking. That's never happened before.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 20:22   Link #77
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
It might change but I wonder how much. Tomino isn't known for spending money on his OPs and EDs.
I think it's the studio's called rather than the directors.
Old 2014-10-03, 20:33   Link #78
Death Usagi
Banned

Unlike high animation anime such as Gundam Build Fighters and previously Gundam 00, or even AGE, this series really reminds me of the old times back in 1990s when the old Gundam series came out such as W, X, G, and such. I think it is a great touch as majority of well known Gundam series were all out in the 1990's that giving the same kind of touch was a good idea.
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 20:38   Link #79
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
I think it's the studio's called rather than the directors.
It's both. The studio gives the director a budget for the series, and it's up to the director to allocate the money.

Judging from the show thus far though, doesn't seem like Sunrise is skimping on the budget at all, considering how much animation there is in the actual show itself.

Sometimes it could also be a time thing - like in Gundam Wing, where both of its OPs had to use stock footage temporarily while the real animation took more time to be completed.
Old 2014-10-03, 21:01   Link #80
Death Usagi
Banned

Can someone explain wtf happened in this episode? I feel like so many things were either skipped or it just went WOOOP and just went into something else after certain scenes that I can't understand the story... ._.
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote