AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-11-20, 19:14   Link #61
SCKnight
Mecha Pilot of the South

Exclamation Worse dub ever!!!!

What is the worst dubbed you have ever seen? Me?

The dubbed of Cardcaptor Sakura! Good grief it was terrible! Why do they have to cut out a lot of stuff! We even learn about the Clow cards before hand, thus destroying the suspense!
SCKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 19:26   Link #62
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

DiGi Charat

It was so awful I put it away after 5 minutes. I've heard hentai with more feeling.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 19:31   Link #63
SCKnight
Mecha Pilot of the South

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being worse and 10 being good, what would you rate it?
Old 2006-11-20, 19:31   Link #64
Nidas

Cardcaptor Sakura, easily. There really is no contest imo. Sakura sounded like she was 30 or something for God's sake. And what they did to Tomoyo... the mind boggles.

Second worst (admittedly by quite a long way lol) is one of the Akira dubs. Theres 2 dubs, one is very good and the other is utter crap so anyone whos heard both should hopefully know which one I'm talking about
Nidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 19:32   Link #65
SCKnight
Mecha Pilot of the South

I didn't hear Tomoyo's dubbed voice as I couldn't stand the VAs any longer!
Old 2006-11-20, 21:14   Link #66
Silver Dragon
SHOW DOWN
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Silver Dragon
The dub of YuGiOh GX is awful
The show itself is awful >_>;
Silver Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 21:45   Link #67
Seiryuu

For actual voices it's Zenki, hands down. On EVERY DVD, the "demon lord" starts out sounding sort of normal, but within three eps winds up sounding like the Mickey Mouse from Hell. The rest of the VAs aren't even worth mentioning.
Also, Pilot Candidate was pure pain. There's no other way to describe it. The VAs say badly translated lines(rare for Bandai, imo), they say them off beat, and then they say it in a way that would make the early William Shatner seem brilliant by comparison.
I wouldn't list shows like Cardcaptors here. The level of butchering and absolute violation of such shows goes so far beyond the mediocre voice-acting that I can't really blame the VAs. They may have chosen some bad actors, but even the best actors couldn't have done anything worthwhile with what they were given. The same goes for Sailor Moon: the show had been messed up so much that you could almost ignore the poor dub, although I'll admit the main character's English voice made me want to hammer large, rusted nails into my ears.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 04:03   Link #68
Nidas

Heres a couple of comparison vids for anyone who doubts the CCS dub btw lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5V69Q36Bjw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJa8wuvBcKQ (the Tomoyo comparison is in this one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godaime Hokage
The dub of YuGiOh GX is awful
The show itself is awful >_>;
A CHALLENGER APPEARS!
Old 2006-11-21, 10:01   Link #69
Lnzy1

One Piece. Hands down.
Lnzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 12:10   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its much easier to list the handful of dubs that didn't suck...
Old 2006-11-21, 12:20   Link #71
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
French Hokuto no Ken. It is sooooooo bad it is awesome.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 12:24   Link #72
Nidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its much easier to list the handful of dubs that didn't suck...
The only ones I can think of are one of the Akira dubs and the NGE dub :/ Well I guess the Elfen Lied one is pretty good too. Though as I've said before on a different forum, sub really is no gurantee of quality. I'm looking at you Full Moon wo Sagashite ¬_¬
Old 2006-11-21, 12:35   Link #73
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Hmm, Howl's Moving Castle had a passable dub. At least, I'd rate it as 'bearable under sufferance' I lent it to mum to watch and she forgot to switch it to Japanese, so I ended up watching about 20 minutes of it in English. I didn't cringe as much as usual, but even so, they ruined Calcifer completely... not that I was surprised.

I can't really think of a 'worst' one though, since I simply avoid dubs like the plague in the first place
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 13:04   Link #74
SCKnight
Mecha Pilot of the South

(After watching the English version of CCS, screams) MY EYES AND EARS! THEY BURN! The English opening was okay, but I prefer the Japanese opening. Anyhow, (watches the English version again), WHY DID I WATCH IT AGAIN!?!?!
Old 2006-11-21, 13:15   Link #75
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Disney has a long history of being particular about their dubs when dubbing from English to foreign languages (their partners at Pixar show similar care). So when they import the Ghibli films (Totoro, Howl, etc) to english ... they do a pretty fair job capturing the spirit even though I think they over-mute the innate "japan" feel of the story. They also have the budget to hire quality voice talent instead of C or D list talent.
Old 2006-11-21, 14:08   Link #76
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidas View Post
Cardcaptor Sakura, easily. There really is no contest imo. Sakura sounded like she was 30 or something for God's sake.
The ironic thing here is that Sakura's VA in "Cardcaptors" (the English dub version of CCS) actually was a kid at the time (and just slightly older than Sakura's in-story age). I think the reason it's looked at so poorly in general isn't really the dub itself, but the way they completely re-edited the show (which is a different matter).
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 14:45   Link #77
Nidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The ironic thing here is that Sakura's VA in "Cardcaptors" (the English dub version of CCS) actually was a kid at the time (and just slightly older than Sakura's in-story age).
0_o

o_0

wow you really do learn something new every day And yeah the editing and plot changes were terrible too Its sad really cos CCS is one of my fav animes
Old 2006-11-21, 14:52   Link #78
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Yu-Gi-Oh since theyd change half of the orginal subbed dialog. One Piece is just god-awful. Pretty much anything done by 4kids is awful.

Im not liking the Naruto dub only just for who the pronuciate alot of the names but Im picky like that.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 15:32   Link #79
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Disney has a long history of being particular about their dubs when dubbing from English to foreign languages (their partners at Pixar show similar care). So when they import the Ghibli films (Totoro, Howl, etc) to english ... they do a pretty fair job capturing the spirit even though I think they over-mute the innate "japan" feel of the story. They also have the budget to hire quality voice talent instead of C or D list talent.
Yeah, you just have to look at the list of VA's that worked on the Howl dub to see that. But they still don't come over anywhere near as well as their Japanese counterparts. I loved Calcifer's voice, but then I heard the english dub (Billy Crystal I think?) and was like WTF? Also, as mentioned, the overly americanized dubbing felt wrong in every way.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 16:29   Link #80
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No argument.... even allowing for the inherent difficulties in dubbing foreign films and retaining the spirit and quality of the original intent and the original acting - dubbing is a tough go. Das Boot was my first experience with the concept of "go with the original language on foreign films" (the original German multiplied the taut and emotional atmosphere in the u-boat). Its been the same for most films (e.g. Stalingrad, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)... the only reason we try dubs at all in my household is that my wife has trouble reading some of the fonts and following the action because of her astigmatism.

I mark the Disney stuff as nearly the best but that doesn't mean I enjoy it I'd probably be happier with them if they didn't "american localize" what are clearly very japanese culture concepts (though they did fair with Totoro - though most of the Shinto-ism and rural life was completely contextual).