AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-06-26, 13:41   Link #61
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Couldn't it just be that Keith is a strong fighter? Suspecting him to be another race just devalues what humans can achieve imo.
But it would make his character at least somewhat interesting, because as it stands now he is the most boring member of the main cast.

At the beginning of the season they seem to be going for a "lone wolf" type of character for him, but that gets dropped after the first episode only to somewhat come back for the last two.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-26, 14:52   Link #62
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Well, IMO, Keith is such and empty slate in season one that he could use a bit of speculation.
I think a part of the reason Keith is like that, and the least developed of the whole cast so far, is because of how well-rounded and seasoned they've made Shiro into.

When you take into account that Keith is, traditionally, the lead character and the pilot of the Black Lion while Shiro's counterpart in the original Voltron/GoLion is most known for dying...it feels like they're setting up something.
Old 2016-06-26, 14:59   Link #63
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I think a part of the reason Keith is like that, and the least developed of the whole cast so far, is because of how well-rounded and seasoned they've made Shiro into.

When you take into account that Keith is, traditionally, the lead character and the pilot of the Black Lion while Shiro's counterpart in the original Voltron/GoLion is most known for dying...it feels like they're setting up something.
I hope it does because there were moments when Shiro got really close to a Gary Sue, which is disconcerting since he's essentially an original character.
Old 2016-06-26, 15:14   Link #64
RDNexus

Shiro's not an original character, the creators simply researched the original story (a good move, I must say) and implemented that into Shiro's character concept.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-26, 15:24   Link #65
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Shiro's not an original character, the creators simply researched the original story (a good move, I must say) and implemented that into Shiro's character concept.
Was Sven anything like Shiro? No. Therefore he's essentially a brand new character for this show.

He's not like Pidge/Katie with which they took an established character and the tweaked and added some stuff.

Voltron =/= GoLion.
Old 2016-06-26, 15:40   Link #66
RDNexus

But it's a good sort of homage to GoLion, which I feel glad for having been done.
I don't give a damn that Sven got switched by Shiro, I even barely remember the old Voltron series at all.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-26, 16:23   Link #67
Elder

Quote:
Was Sven anything like Shiro?
Neither are Keith/Kogane, Lance/Takashi, Fala/Allura and Raible/Cora anything close to the originals. Most of them are more by your criteria are original characters. They just have the old names stuck to them except with Shiro they used his Japanese name and he does have traits of the original character and they all but acknowledged those anime roots in the finale.

Quote:
Voltron =/= GoLion.
But in this case with the use of terminology/ideas from Golion, they are clearly signalling, Legendary Defender is not just taking elements from Voltron, but of both shows including Golion, but with a large dose of original concepts from Studio Mir.

Last edited by Elder; 2016-06-26 at 23:44.
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-27, 22:18   Link #68
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Someone's probably already mentioned this, but:

Spoiler for Spoilers for older Voltron shows:
Voltron Force is not "where all these characters are from". The V:LD iterations of these characters are pretty clearly an amalgamation of these characters from all the preceding iterations. Voltron Force, Voltron: Defender of the Universe (the original English adaptation), even Golion. With a healthy dose of tweaking by the current staff, as has been stated. I've never seen Voltron Force, but I would imagine Keith's unique heritage in that series was foreshadowed by something a bit more substantial than a backhanded compliment during combat by Zarkon.
Old 2016-06-28, 20:46   Link #69
Elder

No the whole fact that he is able to use the Galra tech without an interface suggests that. The other stuff just suggests he might be V:LD's version of Sincline.
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-28, 22:32   Link #70
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
No the whole fact that he is able to use the Galra tech without an interface suggests that. The other stuff just suggests he might be V:LD's version of Sincline.
You're talking about when he opened the door, right? I wondered about that too, but just wrote it off as a comedic moment.
Old 2016-07-21, 21:53   Link #71
Galaxian

"Season 2" is coming later this year.

Source
Old 2016-07-22, 08:46   Link #72
Random14

Yay, good news. I was afraid we'd have to wait until 2017. I was a bit skeptical (after how a lot of Dreamworks' other series turn out, not to mention the last Voltron cartoon, ugh), but this was a very good series.

A bit too much of Last Airbender and Korra in there, no surprise given who the staff is, but Lance and Corrin felt too much like Sokka (and all his humor), and Princess Allura was like Katara mixed with Yue's design. Not a bad thing, just hard to not compare them.

I do hope Keith gets more screen time next season, with him being bumped from leader to the team fighter/cynic in this reboot, he kind of fades into the background against the more... colorful personalities. He still contributes, but it was a bit of a disappointment after his introduction (back then I was still expecting Shiro to not get a lion). Not to mention being the practical/ruthless voice in a kids' cartoon, so he's always wrong. On the bright side, Shiro is awesome (partially thanks to all the screen Keith lost), and Pidge has a great personal connection to their overall mission.

Probably the best Voltron cartoon ever (good animation and great action), and I hope season 2 keeps up the quality. Though the Devil's Due comic is probably still my favorite version of Voltron ever, but this comes close.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 22:54   Link #73
Galaxian

Season 2 trailer is out: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...posted/.107225

This pretty much confirms that Shiro... I going to be just fine, otherwise they wouldn't be laying it on so thick...
Old 2016-10-04, 04:12   Link #74
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:

This pretty much confirms that Shiro... I going to be just fine, otherwise they wouldn't be laying it on so thick...
Keep in mind that his character actually died in the original. And laying the angst on thick is pretty common in series aimed at the teen crowd, which this is to some degree. Personally, I hope he "dies" as far as the main characters are concerned, but manages to stick around in an unexpected fashion, maybe in deep cover in the Galra Empire, under the employ of that presumed Galra/Altean double-agent we keep seeing.
Old 2016-10-04, 20:18   Link #75
Random14

With all the angst in the trailer, I expect him to survive... but it would be interesting if this time they kept him around long enough for us to care about him, then killed him off (unless his twin brother or something then pops up later, I think Golion had something like that, my memory is fuzzy). Or even just separated him from the team, forcing Keith to step up (which would at least give him more screen time).

Though I'm leaning towards them just playing it up, not after all the trouble Keith went to to bond with the Red Lion, or the battle for the Black Lion at the end of the first season. And Allura is pretty good at the mission control thing, though it would be following the original to have her move up to pilot too.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-04, 20:23   Link #76
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I also think that he is going to survive. Princess Allura should stay in Mission Control as she powers the castle. Trailers are meant to make you want to watch the season.

It would make a better twist as everyone is expecting Shiro to die.
Old 2016-10-04, 21:44   Link #77
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
With all the angst in the trailer, I expect him to survive... but it would be interesting if this time they kept him around long enough for us to care about him, then killed him off (unless his twin brother or something then pops up later, I think Golion had something like that, my memory is fuzzy). Or even just separated him from the team, forcing Keith to step up (which would at least give him more screen time).

Though I'm leaning towards them just playing it up, not after all the trouble Keith went to to bond with the Red Lion, or the battle for the Black Lion at the end of the first season. And Allura is pretty good at the mission control thing, though it would be following the original to have her move up to pilot too.
Yeah, Shiro's brother joined the team after his death in the original Golion. In the original Voltron, he never died, and there was no twin. It was him the whole time.
Old 2017-01-12, 21:44   Link #78
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

Well they are laying it on more in this review below.

Jan 20th is the day Season 2 starts.
Old 2017-01-13, 14:19   Link #79
jcdietz03

I loved this remake.
It's much better than I remember the original series being.
Spoiler for Spoilery Stuff:
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-20, 06:31   Link #80
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Second season's up.

Tags
remake