Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2013-09-01, 17:39   Link #61
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Except that science is not based on belief but evidence, and evidence supports evolution. Anyone who brings belief into a science argument is just not arguing scientifically and thus not arguing on the same page.

The thing with Freud is that he did not carry out experiments to back up his claims and has been disproven with modern science, and one of such modern theories that work is the gene centric evolution theory.

Its strange that people would rather bring on philosophy and discuss ideas based on logic alone without any form of evidence to support their arguments.

I follow Cartesian philosophy and phenomenology myself and through those ideas I can even argue that none of you exist because there is no way to prove that you do and everything I ever experience only happens because they are processed in my brain. With that I can argue what ever I like in any topic since reality is anything I see fit.

Until anyone actually reads books on evolution or the lectures I provided I don't think we are going to put up an argument with an actual outcome. The rivalry between species but opposite sex, is probably lecture 3 or 4.
Did you really read my posts? It's pretty obvious to me that both science and philosophy are involved in this discussion, for different reasons.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 04:35   Link #62
Jaden

I dunno man, organisms and especially humans can have so many different "defects" that let them shrug aside this evolutionary drive that I'm loathe to accept the OP's proposition. It's applicable on a species level, where you can use the Price equation to describe our evolution. But it falls apart when applied to individuals, as George Price himself proved by giving his possessions to the poor, falling to depression, then committing a gruesome and painful suicide.

Evolution itself has no direction, but it sometimes causes new properties to randomly emerge, and some of these have been rather game-changing. I consider stuff like empathy, intelligence, self-awareness such powerful properties that they're worth having, even though the more intelligent we get, the more seemingly nonsensical things we do.

But at the same time, our society has already evolved to favour intelligence. So it's a weird situation where the more we continue to evolve, the less we care about our evolutionary drives...maybe? It's kind of like Skynet in Terminator, a machine led aside from its hard-wired duty as it continues to assimilate more information and processing power.

Tags
discussion, psychology